Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VW Scirocco Robbed

• 31-07-2009 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi All,

My Scirocco was robbed at 4am last night. :mad:

If anyone sees this car can you please do me a favour and call the gardai.

I'll dig out a photo and post it. I know at this stage the chances are it's well gone but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

hopefully they didn't come near you for the keys. I'll keep an eye out in my apartment block in case it gets parked up.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

sorry to hear that, better posting the full reg if you want people to be able to help. Did they break in and get the keys?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭pureirish

Yep broke in and got the keys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Will keep an eye out. Where in the country was it robbed?

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭speedfreak

pureirish wrote: »
    Yep broke in and got the keys.
    Its such a s ***ty thing to happen. sorry o.p.

really puts you off buying such a nice car. I presume no tracker..?

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

what county should I be looking

speedfreak wrote: »
    Its such a s ***ty thing to happen. sorry o.p.

really puts you off buying such a nice car. I presume no tracker..?

Nope no tracker unfortunately.

Yeah - it would put you off alright - it's a right pain in the hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Sorry to hear it OP, sounds like a very nice car, and definitely one you'd remember seeing. Will keep a look out too

BVB wrote: »
    what county should I be looking

Dublin

• Advertisement

Photo attached.

I've only seen one other blue Scirocco in Dublin in the last 6 months.

I seen one of theses in Kildare a few days ago. Is that where your from

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Number Nine

Try and check out any damage 08 Scirocco for sale over the last three months and you might find your car !

copacetic wrote: »
    sorry to hear that, better posting the full reg if you want people to be able to help. Did they break in and get the keys?

I don't like giving too much info but the reg is <snip>
    The x's are missing numbers ... just in case anyone was wondering

Try and check out any damage 08 Scirocco for sale over the last three months and you might find your car !

It was only stolen 6 and a half hours ago but I'll be keeping an eye out everywhere... Thanks

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I don't like giving too much info but the reg is 08D 7x3x5

understood, will keep an eye out. on the off chance I saw one, wouldn't fancy ringing 999 to say I just saw an 08-D car that I heard was stolen via the internet!

copacetic wrote: »
    understood, will keep an eye out. on the off chance I saw one, wouldn't fancy ringing 999 to say I just saw an 08-D car that I heard was stolen via the internet!

Thanks - all help appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Anyone living in apartment blocks with easy access check the car park, they often stash cars where they don't look out of place.

OP give the DAA (Dublin Airport Authority) car parks a ring, they have number plate recognition on all cars entering their car park. Likewise the quickpark people, they mightn't have the technology but a €50 reward might get some one to have a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

That's rough, hope you get it back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Will keep an eye out for it!
    Hope it gets recovered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

trad wrote: »
    Anyone living in apartment blocks with easy access check the car park, they often stash cars where they don't look out of place.

OP give the DAA (Dublin Airport Authority) car parks a ring, they have number plate recognition on all cars entering their car park. Likewise the quickpark people, they mightn't have the technology but a €50 reward might get some one to have a look.

This would be my guess too, they stash them there for a few days in the event there is a tracking device in the car.

My feeling is this car was stolen to order, very unlikely joy riding scum would come into the house, risk a confrontation for the keys. Always best to leave the keys downstairs in the kitchen or similar and not hidden, you don't want them coming up stairs into your bedroom threatening you or your family for them.

Hope you get your pride and joy back soon OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭Brady

That sucks Donkey balls! sorry to hear that, ill keep an eye out i drive between Trim and North County dublin twice a day (backroads)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

It would be hard to miss that car or that colour blue.....will keep sketch for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Sorry to hear about this, unfortunately it's becoming an all too common event.

I'd suppose that Gardai have already been in contact with with various ports around the country but it wouldn't hurt for you to chase it up and call them again.

Also, from reading posts about car thefts on various motoring forums, several of these cars have turned up in carparks days or weeks after being stolen. It seems some crims leave them there for a while in hope that the heat will die down. It would be worth driving around all the carparks (especially underground) in your area and maybe contact whoever looks after the parking in Dublin Airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I don't like giving too much info but the reg is 08D 7x3x5

Speaking from my own point of view I would give as much info as possible. Location, reg etc...

If you need anything removed later I or one of the other mods can remove it

Sorry for your loss OP :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭Brady

Another thing that is done up north is, they will try find a car which is the same model and colour, then copy the number plates so it flags up on a police ANPR (automatic number plate recognition system) as fully insured and NOT stolen etc..

on the bright side to the OP. these cars are still very new on the roads ive only seen a handfull of them!
    ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about this, unfortunately it's becoming an all too common event.

I'd suppose that Gardai have already been in contact with with various ports around the country but it wouldn't hurt for you to chase it up and call them again.

Also, from reading posts about car thefts on various motoring forums, several of these cars have turned up in carparks days or weeks after being stolen. It seems some crims leave them there for a while in hope that the heat will die down. It would be worth driving around all the carparks (especially underground) in your area and maybe contact whoever looks after the parking in Dublin Airport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

If it's any comfort to you OP, if it doesn't turn up then the ins co will pay out for a brand new one seeing as the car's less than a year old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭dragonsgates

Get in touch with the City council and have a look at the CCTV. Should be able to track the car direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 veedubdubh

Lovely car - sad a**holes who took it - had targetted you.

Improve your home security.

They'll come for the new one too if you don't - happens all the time unfortunately.

Possibly stolen to order and if it has you will never see it again its already in a container ready for shipping somewhere.

Its too new and distinctive to hide for very long and not enough sold to break for parts.

Might be worthwhile asking if eFlow guys might have spotted it going through the toll-bridge.

My best bet - stolen and gone to Northern Ireland - probably to order, possibly even on Uk mainland now

You'dbe surprised how many cars are being taken.

When you get the new one review all security measures inside house and in/around the car - or else get the GTI - essentially the same car just looks normal and doesn't attract attention as easily.

Your insurers will put you through the mill on this one - make sure you got all the paperwork and find a Guard who you can call to keep you updated.

Crappy things like this happening more and more now.

Come back on and tell us how You getting on.

Probably no point saying have a good week-end - take care tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

there are 4 blue Scirocco's on carzone out of 36 so is would be quite rare. My guess is that it's in a carpark somewhere waiting to be moved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

A friend of mine saw a blue sciorrco heading southbound on Nenagh Bypass today at 4.30. He called it into traffic watch and Nenagh Garda staion have been notified.

Might be heading for Limerick. Not sure if it is op's car or not. Worth checking out.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Don't they have a hidden keyhole thing in the door where you have to flip the handle sideways ? A friend of mine has a 09 one and it took about 10 mins to open the bloody thing when he got it as the battery was dead & the keyfob didn't work. I imagine they are not very easy to steal, so I would guess it was probably stolen to order, which means it is probably still in perfect condition. Good luck finding it - I will also keep an eye out for it as they are a lovely car.

Morlar wrote: »
    Don't they have a hidden keyhole thing in the door where you have to flip the handle sideways ? A friend of mine has a 09 one and it took about 10 mins to open the bloody thing when he got it as the battery was dead & the keyfob didn't work. I imagine they are not very easy to steal, so I would guess it was probably stolen to order, which means it is probably still in perfect condition. Good luck finding it - I will also keep an eye out for it as they are a lovely car.

Just checked some photos as i couldn't even remember ever seeing a keyhole. None visible on any photos. They got the key so easy to take.

suitseir wrote: »
    A friend of mine saw a blue sciorrco heading southbound on Nenagh Bypass today at 4.30. He called it into traffic watch and Nenagh Garda staion have been notified.

Might be heading for Limerick. Not sure if it is op's car or not. Worth checking out.

Best of luck.

Thanks - really appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

my cousins GF is from down that direction and goes up and down to dublin alot
    maybe it was here and not the OPS VW
    she also has a blue one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Theres a 09 parked in Howth harbour opposite wrights fish shop, it was put there overnight, had 09 plates though, i will see if theres black leather. Didnt look like the place you would leave a 09. I will check if its black leather, any garage stickers or anything else to check?

• Advertisement

Sorry man, its gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I'll check the car parks at Tallaght Cross and Belgard Square. I'll be passing them later

Check your PM's op, was just passed by one...

Onkle wrote: »
    I'll check the car parks at Tallaght Cross and Belgard Square. I'll be passing them later

Nice one - Thanks - just back from driving around looking for it - no luck yet :(

any news yet

• Advertisement

BVB wrote: »
    any news yet

No - afraid not.

I will keep an eye around celbridge and willbe going to liffey valley in the morning . I will check the carpark tomorrow

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Really hope you get this back, im fairly sick of having my cars stolen/broken into.

Absolute scumbags, sorry OP.

Thanks guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

So sorry to hear about your news. The scum that do this deserve public floggings.

It may be on NI/UK plates at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

OP I feel your pain..Had a lovely new 323F stolen from me in similar circumstances back in the mid 90's. It was my first decent car and despite being in my 20's I actually cried! Got it back about 2 days later with minor damage but tbh if I was in your position I'd never want to see it again and get the insurance to pay out on a new one.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

OP check Parkwest. Plenty of places for it to be left for a few days. Few stolen cars end up in there

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭RVP11

Such a ****ing horrible thing to happen! Same happened to me. Bought a Saab 2.8 V6 last year. Only 4 or 5 in the country at the time. Broke into the house, stole keys along with phones, laptops etc. After a week of the insurance paying out car was recovered. Happy to be given ins. because wouldnt have recieved half as much if I had sold on. Hope its recovered. Will keep an eye out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Things like this really annoy me. It sends out a message that someone cant buy a nice car in this country with out the increased rick of it being nicked. I really hope it hasn't prevented people from buying a car they really like, but i suspect that it already may have, judging by a case like this.

OP, dont give up hope. I hope scum like this are taken down and the book absolutely thrown at them.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

bummer op.

I'm off to the west for the w/e but i'll keep an eye out

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement