Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VW Scirocco Robbed

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

OP Anything to report???

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭pureirish

Greenman wrote: »
    OP Anything to report???

Nope, still missing :( I'm guessing at this stage I'll never see it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭MarkN

Look on the brightside, you'll get a new one.

I'd be so angry if my car was taken but I also wouldn't want it back after it had been driven/rallied by a piece of filth so look at it that way and you'll feel slightly better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

They're showing a blue Scirocco on Top Gear right now :(

robbie99 wrote: »
    They're showing a blue Scirocco on Top Gear right now :(

I know tell me about it - same wheels also :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Briefly saw a blue Scirocco on Camdem Street in Dublin on Saturday afternoon at about 3pm -> may or may not be it

Sorry - didn't have time to get reg or any details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

MarkN wrote: »
    Look on the brightside, you'll get a new one.

I'd be so angry if my car was taken but I also wouldn't want it back after it had been driven/rallied by a piece of filth so look at it that way and you'll feel slightly better.

Can't be any worse than giving it to Clarkson or his mob

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Just saw this thread.:(:( I'll keep my eyes open. Thieving scum. :mad: It has gotten to the stage where you have to keep one eye open all the time. Real pain. I feel for you hed, I really do. :(

It's not just the new flashier stuff either. In the last year I've heard of two micras, a new yaris and a couple of old fiestas getting nicked. I know of too many people who just gave up on having any sort of nice sporty car after having them stolen, but sadly no one is immune to these scumbags.

If you get another one, as said before, beef up the home security. With the key immobiliser cars nowadays they'll try to break in to get the keys as it's way too much hassle to bypass without them.

Put IR security lights up, back front and side coverage(3 lights for your average semi D). Look to your double glazing. Most out there are not secure and far too easy to pop out the whole window. You can make them far harder to remove though. A tube of common or garden silicon sealer will do it. House alarm is a must too. They're expensive to have fitted, but if you're any way handy, you can fit the wireless ones in an afternoon. I did and I have 4 thumbs. Switch it on at night as not having it on is pointless. Have the local Garda station number on your phone. Usually a much faster response time if you do hear someone breaking in.

Car security should be beefed up. Get a decent alarm, properly fitted. It should dissuade the opportunistic scum. Ditto with the steering lock thing that covers the entire wheel. The ones that don't are useless and actually make it easier to steal the car, by making it easier to break the built in steering lock. Trackers are good, but pricey last time I looked. I have a system on mine, independent of the alarm that after a few minutes cuts the car out, blasts the horn and flashes the lights, so even if they have the keys it'll conk out down the road. So at least the scum won't have the pleasure of driving the car or breaking it for spares.

IMHO it's all about layers, both visible and hidden. The joyriding scum will be dissuaded easily enough in most cases. The pros may look at it and figure it's not worth the hassle and possible confrontation. It's a business to them. Plus there will be the other cars in your area without any of that, so they make nicer targets.

The authorities could do a lot more too. Property crime in this country is not hit hard enough. :mad::mad: They could certainly reduce joyriding in many areas as they know who is at it, they know where they take them, but the resources aren't there and the sentencing is too light. They could do what cops have done in the US. Have bait cars. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bait_car Nice cars parked around the city, with built in trackers, video and security systems. The scum nick em and the cops can track the car, follow it, stop it remotely and arrest them(even lock the scum inside).

I'll keep my eyes peeled anyway. I'm in and out of a fair few carparks each week.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Wibbs wrote: »
    Nice cars parked around the city, with built in trackers, video and security systems. The scum nick em and the cops can track the car, follow it, stop it remotely and arrest them(even lock the scum inside).

Ye I saw those on tv in New zealand on Motors TV, great idea.
    Property crime in this country is not hit hard enough. mad.gifmad.gif .

I'm with you on that, while I do not live in Ireland I do find everything is too liberal and free and easy from top to bottom with people not paying for their actions, I won't go off topic except to say the criminals must really laugh at the way he/she is treated by the courts. Pity there is not more like Judge Carney out there.

I feel your pain OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

I live near the N4, around the Kilcock Enfield area. Ill keep a lookout incase its still around this part of the country.

If you get another one, as said before, beef up the home security. With the key immobiliser cars nowadays they'll try to break in to get the keys as it's way too much hassle to bypass without them.

Put IR security lights up, back front and side coverage(3 lights for your average semi D). Look to your double glazing. Most out there are not secure and far too easy to pop out the whole window. You can make them far harder to remove though. A tube of common or garden silicon sealer will do it. House alarm is a must too. They're expensive to have fitted, but if you're any way handy, you can fit the wireless ones in an afternoon. I did and I have 4 thumbs. Switch it on at night as not having it on is pointless. Have the local Garda station number on your phone. Usually a much faster response time if you do hear someone breaking in.

Thanks Wibbs, Good post.

I won't go into my home security in any details but I will say the house alarm went off the second they got in. This did not stop them. We rang the gardai immediately after the car left our drive and they were at the house within 10 - 15 mins. That said, where security is concerned there is always room for improvement.

The car had a factory fitted alarm and immobiliser. The secondary system you have is a very good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭david....

very sorry to hear about the car :( my cousins ford sierra cosworth 4x4 was stolen iswell 417bhp i think it was. he rekens it was broken down and sold into parts bas***ds.
    unfortunately it's becoming very common know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

pureirish wrote: »
    Thanks Wibbs, Good post.

I won't go into my home security in any details but I will say the house alarm went off the second they got in. This did not stop them. We rang the gardai immediately after the car left our drive and they were at the house within 10 - 15 mins. That said, where security is concerned there is always room for improvement.

The car had a factory fitted alarm and immobiliser. The secondary system you have is a very good idea.

Sorry to hear about your car. No justice that someone can just enter your house like that and take what you bought using your hard earned cash.

We all think its sufficient to have the alarm on as that will make them run but in your case it didn't! Makes it more apparent that we should just leave the keys loosely available... but not at fishing rod reach!

Do you mind telling us where the keys were and how far into the house did they go once the alarm went off and did you consider confronting them or was it a quick smash and grab?

Hope you get some news soon. I too believe it may well be parked up somewhere but unfortunately not much help... Sorry

Best of Luck!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I won't go into my home security in any details but I will say the house alarm went off the second they got in. This did not stop them. We rang the gardai immediately after the car left our drive and they were at the house within 10 - 15 mins.
    Bloody hell, though fair play to the Guards, that was a pretty quick response time.
    That said, where security is concerned there is always room for improvement.
    True though you wonder where does it have to bloody end with the scumbags.:mad:
    Well the main advantage is that it's separate and kinda passive and even if they get the keys it's still working in the background. They don't expect it either.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Hi All,

First of all a big thank you to everyone for the responses received. I really appreciated the help.

Now for the update…..

A friend of mine found the car today so the most thanks go to him :)
    Now to answer the questions before I get asked:

1) There is no visible body damage to the car so all ok there
    2) It’s on a different set of wheels so I’ll have to get them replaced with originals.
    3) They even stole the spare wheel, jack and tool set for changing the wheels!
    4) It’s now gone off for forensics before I can bring it to a garage to get a thorough check over.
    5) Keys & locks will obviously need reprogramming.
    Other than that (and without actually driving it or sitting in it) all seems good.

Thanks
    pureirish

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Hi All,

First of all a big thank you to everyone for the responses received. I really appreciated the help.

Now for the update…..

A friend of mine found the car today so the most thanks go to him :)
    Now to answer the questions before I get asked:

1) There is no visible body damage to the car so all ok there
    2) It’s on a different set of wheels so I’ll have to get them replaced with originals.
    3) They even stole the spare wheel, jack and tool set for changing the wheels!
    4) It’s now gone off for forensics before I can bring it to a garage to get a thorough check over.
    5) Keys & locks will obviously need reprogramming.
    Other than that (and without actually driving it or sitting in it) all seems good.

Thanks
    pureirish

That's great to hear.

Pity about the wheels though but hopefully they'll be covered under your insurance

Onkle wrote: »
    That's great to hear.

Pity about the wheels though but hopefully they'll be covered under your insurance

Yeah hopefully. I'll find out tomorrow or Monday. It's the strangest thing I've ever heard. Go to all that hassle for a set of wheels! I can't make sense of it at all.

Yeah hopefully. I'll find out tomorrow or Monday. It's the strangest thing I've ever heard. Go to all that hassle for a set of wheels! I can't make sense of it at all.

I'd be pretty confident they were still waiting to see if it had a tracker.

Was it in a car park or dumped somewhere?

Was it in a car park or dumped somewhere?

Parked in a housing estate. It's there for the last 4 / 5 days according to a resident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Thats great to hear pureirish.

Yea, bet ya they thought there was a tracker which is why they could only take the alloys. Bloody nice alloys though! I hope there covered under your insurance, they should be anyway!
    Parked in a housing estate. It's there for the last 4 / 5 days according to a resident.
    They must have got scared then. Was it just on blocks or had they put other wheels on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

That's great news, hopefully you'll get it back to the way it was without too much hassle :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Glad to hear that PureIrish. Was keeping an eye on this thread for the last few days.
    Now, time to look at some more security around the house. Maybe one of those big ass bollards set in concrete.

Glad to hear that PureIrish. Was keeping an eye on this thread for the last few days.
    Now, time to look at some more security around the house. Maybe one of those big ass bollards set in concrete.

Big ass rottweiller would be my choice

Zonda999 wrote: »

Was it just on blocks or had they put other wheels on it?

No it was on a different set of alloys. I'd say the wheels were swapped elsewhere and then the car was driven to the estate we found it in.

No it was on a different set of alloys. I'd say the wheels were swapped elsewhere and then the car was driven to the estate we found it in.

I guess you sell those alloys then, get some money back off those scangers!:)

Zonda999 wrote: »
    I guess you sell those alloys then, get some money back off those scangers!:)

I'm not sure how it works now - do they go to the insurance company when they fork out for the new ones or what happens... but yes they'll be for sale if I get to keep them :) They tires on them are very good... are you interested :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Where abouts, in dublin?

I'm not sure how it works now - do they go to the insurance company when they fork out for the new ones or what happens... but yes they'll be for sale if I get to keep them :) They tires on them are very good... are you interested :)

Doubt the insurance would keep them. What would they do with them after.

Guess you could put them on adverts, get a few hundred euro anyway!

Interested? Na!:) No money and alloys that fit a scirocco wont fit my motor:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭anewme

This is actually quite worrying. There was an attempt to break into my house last week too. - after the car (Scirocco) too. I hope they dont come back.

Glad OP got his back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Fantastic news, happy you've got your car back! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Big ass rottweiller would be my choice

A twelve gauge shotgun is mine!

Great news about getting the car back OP, not often it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...OP - glad you got it back in one piece.

One question: was it still on it's original plates ? And, left in a common area, or someone's drive ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Brilliant news to hear!

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...OP - glad you got it back in one piece.

One question: was it still on it's original plates ? And, left in a common area, or someone's drive ?

Yes, still on the same plates. Left in a common area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Dont mean to jack the thread, but the wheel nicking seems to be getting more common, not long ago I awoke to the van across the road from me sitting on four jacks, all wheels nicked, then a merc down the road got the same treatment, then another van in the next estate a while later :/ all happening now :L

But anyways congratulations on getting the car man, sweet car, theres a navy one five doors down from me and its gorgeous.

I've locked this to stop it being bumped. OP if you want it reopened just drop me a PM and I will- Onkle

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement