Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 & the SE w910i

• 31-07-2009 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Hi, interested in some opinions.

About 6 months ago I picked up a SE W910i from O2. I'm a prepay customer and I am particularly enjoying the 50-mb-for-99c data plan on their offering, as I don't really use the phone for a whole lot else.

As I'm sure most of you know this phone has serious problems. The battery life is very poor (daily charging with even moderate use!) and the firmware is a disaster, phone constantly shuts itself down and needs to be reset etc.

So I finally lost my patience and decided to pick up a new phone. I'm looking at the Nokia 5800 or something in that range (ie not cheap). I popped in to my local O2 and explained the situation, and asked if they could do me any kind of a deal or discount because of the problems i've had and the fact that the phone is only 6 months old. No joy, the guy insisted he had no discretion and of course I can believe that.

So my question is this: what would YOU do? Should I Switch vendors - is there one with a comparable price plan? I haven't been able to find one. Or should I escalate through O2's complaints people? I really don't want to go through a 9 hour telephone marathon to get it sorted, so I tried to track down an e-mail address with no joy (but their wonderful website did have a nice webform email to complain which doesn't even work).

Curious for your input and I hope I've put this thread in the right place. I have read the Charter/FAQ - if a mod things this thread is more appropriate in Consumer Issues then OK but I'd really like to use the experts guidance so I figured this was the way to go. Feel free to move if you disagree!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Assuming you have a PC and a broadband connection, have you tried running Sony's Update Service? This will load the most up to date version of firmware on to the phone, presumably the most up to date firmware will have had bugfixes implemented into them. You'll need the USB cable that came in the phone box in order to connect your phone to your PC.

Second, from what I've heard this phone seems to have major issues when dealing with mixed 2G/3G networks. It doesn't handle switching from 3G coverage back to 2G very well and either restarts itself, or freezes up completely when doing so. My LG Viewty used to do this to me to, drove me nuts!!! You can usually sort this by turning 3G off completely so your phone won't scan for the 3G network:
    Menu > Settings > Mobile Networks > GSM/3G Networks > "GSM Only" > Save.
    You should also see a pretty big jump in your battery life by doing this as 3G is pretty heavy on the power.

Hope this helps you!

Advertisement