Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

long reining probs

Options
  • 31-07-2009 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi
    I am currently breaking a 3 year old mare, when i am long reining her everything is going ok till i try to get her to back a step or 2 then puts her nose to the ground and wont move... is there anything i can do or buy to stop this
    rgs
    P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Do you have another person that could help you? Does she yield when you put your hand on her chest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

If you have someone to help you and encourage the horse to step back from the reins by putting their hand on her chest, like byhookandbycrook suggested.

Alternatively, you could try encouraging her to step back from the reins when you stand at her shoulder and put pressure on the reins. She may be more likely to do it if you're beside her. Then you could gradually move back further from her head as she becomes happier to step back from the rein.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Theponylady

There are several ways to fix the problem.

One, the easiest one, is to have someone help you. They can push on her nose and shoulder when you ask her to back with the reins. The second she starts to even lean back(don't keep pulling until she gives you a step), both of you quit pressuring her for a few seconds. Then ask again, when she starts to lean back, quit again. Pretty soon she will at least lean back a bit when you pull-then you can put on a bit more pressure and ask for her to move back half a step. Again, stop the pressure IMMEDIATELY. That's how she will figure out what you want-when she makes an attempt to do what you want, the pressure stops. It won't take long before she's backing nicely.

Too many people, the moment they notice the horse is considering moving away from the bit pressure and backing up, will INCREASE the pressure on the horse. Then there is no relief of pressure(that is the horse's reward), the horse doesn't figure out what you want, and you will have a fight on your hands.

Another way, if you don't have help, is to hold pressure on one line(rather than on both evenly), and use the other line to rock the horse off balance. The horse will pick up a foot to try to rebalance, and then you leave them alone for a moment, then do the same thing again. Usually, once the horse realizes that picking up a foot will stop the pressure on the mouth, they will start to move back from the pressure.

Another way, if you are on your own, is to make sure you are using a lunging surcingle(a driving saddle with the turrets for lines will work as well). Run the lines through the turrets as normal, but instead of going behind the horse as usual, you go infront of the horse. Have the lines going through the turrets, but coming forward along the shoulders of the horse to your hands. That way, even though you are standing in front of the horse, if you pull on the lines, they will still be pulling backwards on the horse. Then, you can use one hand to pull on the lines(doesn't have to be a hard pull, just enough the horse feels the pressure, and you can push the horse back a step as well. Eventually, the horse will associate the pressure on the mouth with backing up(provided you release the pressure every time the horse starts to back), and you will be able to go back behind the horse as normal and ask him to back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭needadvice

I'm being very puritanical here but unless you really know what you're doing or have proffessional training as you go bad long reining has ruined alot of mouths be very careful. Why must she rein back at this point.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Theponylady

My opinion is, yes, long reining improperly can ruin a horse. Just like using a snaffle bit improperly can ruin a horse's mouth, or using any other piece of equipment or training method improperly can ruin a horse.

My other opinion(as someone who has been a professional for 30 plus years now, and has taken riders and ponies to a number of national championships) is that a horse who won't back isn't good for much. A horse that won't back isn't giving to the bit, isn't trained to move away from pressure(that mostly what we do when training horses-teach them to move away from rather than into pressure), and is never going to be easy to ride.

A horse who won't back can be a danger to himself and others as well. If you are trekking and get into a bad spot, backing out may be the safest method(and in some instances the only method) to get out of a situation. When unloading from a trailer, horses who won't back often hurt themselves and their human handlers fighting to not go backwards. I can think of lots of times backing would be useful and help with safety. I can't think of any time when knowing how to back would be a bad thing. No, a horse that runs backwards as an evasion isn't good-but that's not backing when asked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭needadvice

In response to ponylady reinback is an essential schooling exercise. My point was is it really appropriate at this point in her training and is this the right way to teach it.

Advertisement