Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Renewal Forms up

Options
  • 31-07-2009 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi all, new to the forum, which has been a wealth of info over the past few months. Just though ye would be interested to see this:

Irish form

English form

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

C4D wrote: »
    Hi all, new to the forum, which has been a wealth of info over the past few months. Just though ye would be interested to see this:

http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/fca1%20(english).pdf

And translated that is in the Queens English????:confused:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Thanks for that C4D. Just splitting out your post to a new thread because folks had missed it buried away in the original.
    And fixed the links because it was hauling up the Irish form for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

C4D wrote: »
    Hi all, new to the forum, which has been a wealth of info over the past few months.

Who is this handsome stranger, fastest refresh finger in the West!

Thanks for the post, first one SUPER helpful, welcome.

The checklist makes for interesting reading...

Sparks wrote: »
    The checklist makes for interesting reading...

I suppose we'll need to see the Garda/shooter guidelines before we can successfully complete the forms.

-has demonstrated that it is the only type of firearm appropriate for the purpose for which it is required?

Also, the 2 clubs I'm familiar with do not have Pulse I.D. numbers so they'll have to get range then club authorisation afresh too?

• Advertisement

G17 wrote: »
    I suppose we'll need to see the Garda/shooter guidelines before we can successfully complete the forms.

C4D we neeeeed your help!!!!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 C4D

G17 wrote: »
    C4D we neeeeed your help!!!!!!!:D

I'm as lost as the rest of ye in this instance!:confused:

I'm only new to shooting (got my first FAC last year after 6 months of a delay). Still trying to get to grips with what is required for the new application as I'm changing calibre this year!

That form looks decent enough... its quite straightforward and gives good info the guard as well..

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

Nice form. Did anyone find the licencing guidelines on the garda.ie site? Could find the FCA1 form itself and a doc saying the guidelines are there, but no doc?!?

Thanks BTW C4D!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

ok went through the license and have a couple of issues

1. What license is required to hunt game (pheasant etc)
    2. No mention on the application that one can shhot clays. only pistol and rifle I assume other is for clay grounds

Think ill spend a couple of hours writing up a notes page to accompany the licence.

• Advertisement

Intresting handle too "C4D"....;);)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

The form looks a lot more professional than previously. My first licence was granted to me with my gun club membership card and receipt for deposit put on shotgun in local dealer. Nothing else. Its a better approach to granting the licence all round me thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭pajero2005

Anyone know where this list can be found? Not trying to hijack this thread but not much point starting a new one for just one question;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I'll give it a lash :)

First of all things with (M) are mandatory and (c) are conditional.

Section 1:
    For most of us this will be a Firearm or Restricted Firearm Cert and we will all have held a cert in the previous 3 years.

Section 2:
    Mostly self explanatory. Interesting that question about name changes.

Section 2.2
    This is not mandatory or even conditional

Section 2.3
    This is conditional in that it doesn't have to be filled if it's a substitution. As the form is actually designed for conditions other than what it's being used for now, I'd say this is the same as a substitution and not required.
    We need this to be clarified by the Gardai because otherwise we'll get FO's around the country looking for references.

Section 2.4
    Previous history is mostly self explanatory

Section 2.5
    Again conditional on it being a first time application, so not relevant to the vast majority here.

Section 3
    Lot of options here so hopefully better stats will come of it. I presume the sight accessory is something like a night vision.

Section 3.3 and 3.4
    These don't apply in this instance

Section 3.5
    The secure accomodation order 2009 is not published yet

Section 4.1
    Self explanatory. Note that you can put in your ammo limit here

Section 4.2
    Good reason. As Section 4A is not commenced, the choice should only be Authorised rifle/pistol club for target shooting.

Section 4.3
    This will be fun seeing as clubs don't have pulse id's yet.

Section 4.4
    Training Certificate will need a post dedicated to itself and also needs the guidelines for clarifiaction. Suffice to say it's here at last.

Section 5.1
    For the hunters

Section 5.2
    One land owner?

That's it for the applicant. Some big gaps here to be filled before people can actually complete these forms.

Guidance needed badly!

It's in SI 21 of 2008 pajero, attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Lads,

If I want a moderator for .223 do I just tick the box? :D what about scopes?

Other could be anything .Be intresting too for those who shoot Practical in NI,and have to store their guns down here.So how will this work?

So ,the photo thing comes in as well.Make sure you copyright your photos folks .Dont want your gun liscense pics ending up with the revenue or dog wardens or other Govt depts now do we??
    [Thats why in other countries the Govt takes your pic when issuing documents to prevent this copyright issue.]
    Intresting to the Supers or cheif Supers refuasl has an "other" box as well.
    This is going to be intresting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Clash

pajero2005 wrote: »
    Anyone know where this list can be found? Not trying to hijack this thread but not much point starting a new one for just one question;)

Here

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Jonty wrote: »
    Lads,

If I want a moderator for .223 do I just tick the box? :D what about scopes?

Have to say, that's an interesting addition alright. May simplify life. However, interesting point: I've put notes in with my applications before explaining the various parts, giving a little bit about me and my circumstances and what I'm looking to do. Always seemed a good idea to me to be personal like that. With a document this size however, if you were dealing with a fullbore hunting rifle, you'd be including notes about yourself and the rifle, maybe a photo or two for clarity's sake, landowners' permissions, an NPWS licence, a note on the moderator and why you're looking for it, perhaps photos and notes on your security arrangements as well as the form. It becomes a not inconsiderable portfolio at that stage!

Clash wrote: »

Quick draw Sparks bet you to it Clash. He must have too much time on his hands in the Boards office:rolleyes:.

Thanks anyway Clash.

P.S. Only messing Sparks. Dont send me to prision. I had a look around there earlier and there are some nasty people locked up:eek:

• Advertisement

ok went through the license and have a couple of issues

1. What license is required to hunt game (pheasant etc)
    2. No mention on the application that one can shhot clays. only pistol and rifle I assume other is for clay grounds

Think ill spend a couple of hours writing up a notes page to accompany the licence.

I'd go with other as well and name the club. You don't have to fill in the authorised pistol/rifle club bit as it doesn't apply to clay shooting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Whats the "proof of competence" about? where's the SI for that??

Only for first applications.

It's in the 2006 Act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

In Section 1 Application Type
    It gives 2 options (1) I have held a cert for this firearm in the prev 3 years
    and you fill out your cert number in the box's.
    But if you have a cert and the information is wrong because the fo hasn't supplied the dept with the correct info on a previous sub which as far as I can see happens a lot do you then fill out the 2nd option as in
    (2) I have not held a cert for this firearm in the prev 3 years because technicaly you havn't ?

rrpc wrote: »
    Section 1:
    For most of us this will be a Firearm or Restricted Firearm Cert and we will all have held a cert in the previous 3 years.
    I suppose this section means that there's going to be a form FCA2 at some point.
    Section 2.2
    Which is good since some of us can't fill this in (not having a family or personal GP). Mind you, I wonder what will happen to those of us who leave this blank, since we're refusing consent to the Gardai to look into our medical history by doing so.
    Section 2.3
    This is conditional in that it doesn't have to be filled if it's a substitution. As the form is actually designed for conditions other than what it's being used for now, I'd say this is the same as a substitution and not required.
    I'd be peeved if it was otherwise, but just for the sake of argument, what happens if the Gardai decide "no, we want character references from everyone"?
    Section 2.5
    Again conditional on it being a first time application, so not relevant to the vast majority here.
    Indeed, but for everyone from now on it will be. So some clarification from the Gardai as to what constitutes proof of competence would be good, especially seeing as how there is no list of officially Garda-approved training courses, and how even creating that list would be problematic with monopoly and ngo/state considerations to take into account.
    I presume the sight accessory is something like a night vision.
    I love the wording though - "Sights? Erra, what'd you want them fer, aren't they just an accessory, like fuzzy dice for the car?" :D
    Section 3.3 and 3.4
    Nope, but they are going to create monster headaches and court cases in the next few years. That's a state-created anti-EU trading practice, right there in black and white.

3.4's might be of interest first though, since it appears to be a section for tracking what happens to privately sold firearms (whether they go to a dealer or another shooter or outside the country).
    Section 3.5
    In fact, I think that's the first we've heard of it. Which is a bit of a surprise really. You'd think this sort of thing would be flagged a ways off, like the Range and Club SIs were.
    Section 4.1
    And note that there seems to be an assumption in the form designer's mind that a firearm shall have at most two people licenced to possess it, unless by other user they actually meant owner and don't mind the owner not filling this bit in. I can see where it came from (the training licence), but it's a bit short-sighted to put this in the form and not just snag it from PULSE - I mean, that's what databases are for.
    Section 4.2
    Good reason. As Section 4A is not commenced, the choice should only be Authorised rifle/pistol club for target shooting.
    Yes, but why do they also want an essay as to the "specific type of firearm"? Do I now need to write up "Why my Anschutz 2002CA is better than every other kind of air rifle" or just "Why air rifles are needed for air rifle shooting"? :D
    Section 4.3
    Yup. And since the Clubs SI doesn't seem to have made it to a website yet.
    Guidance needed badly!
    Amen to that. And the checklist is in need of that too...

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

I wonder why three years??

rrpc wrote: »
    I'll give it a lash :)

First of all things with (M) are mandatory and (c) are conditional.

Section 1:

Section 2:
    Mostly self explanatory. Interesting that question about name changes.

Section 2.2

Section 2.3
    We need this to be clarified by the Gardai because otherwise we'll get FO's around the country looking for references.

Section 2.4
    Previous history is mostly self explanatory

Section 2.5

Section 3
    Lot of options here so hopefully better stats will come of it. I presume the sight accessory is something like a night vision.

Section 3.3 and 3.4

Section 3.5

Section 4.1

Section 4.2

Section 4.3

Section 4.4
    Training Certificate will need a post dedicated to itself and also needs the guidelines for clarifiaction. Suffice to say it's here at last.

Section 5.1
    For the hunters

Section 5.2
    One land owner?

That's it for the applicant. Some big gaps here to be filled before people can actually complete these forms.

Guidance needed badly!

Just adding commentary on the other sections.

Section 6 & 7 are very simple and list your other certs and certify your identity.

Section 8
    The Superintendent or Chief Superintendent filll this bit in and there's one bit that might cause trouble for restricted firearms owners:

"Where the firearm is Restricted, has demonstrated that it is the only type of firearm appropriate for the purpose for which it is required."

Section 9
    The decision!
    Quite helpfully the varoius reasons for a refusal are listed and it's dated. Note that there is a spot for additional conditions. The cynic in me says it's not big enough :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭whydave

what does this mean ......' section 3.5 , Have you complied with the requirements of the Firearms (Secure Accomodation) Order ,2009

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

gents look at section 3.2 for a minute, it asks to list accessories such as silencers... and sights.?
    Ordinary telescopic sight or is it night sights. Do I include sling/lamp/cheek pouch:confused:

Advertisement