Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Renewal Forms up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Guys section 5.1
    Wildlife act requirements. Is it a yes or a no if I hunt pheasants and duck in season.

Is there a new wild life licence to be purchased ??:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

rrpc wrote: »
    We'll have to wait and see...

Any leaks or are they waiting to see whats out there before putting something together on security

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Any leaks or are they waiting to see whats out there before putting something together on security
    Well it should be in the guidleines whenever they appear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

We pay at post office, but how?

Same as the way you do the TV licence or any other bill I guess.

the licence app will have a number and your payment will be matched against it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Looks like Tuesday for this; there's a few SIs to come it seems.

What is the differnce between 'bolt action' and 'single shot'

Surely a bolt action is by default a bolt action is a single shot, as is a semi..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

Link to all the forms so far, webmaster has tidied up a bit.

http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=4144

Ha - seems we spotted it before they were done. Tsk, tsk, so much for a staging deployment. Shoddy webmastering, that ;)

What is the differnce between 'bolt action' and 'single shot'
    Surely a bolt action is by default a bolt action is a single shot, as is a semi..
    Not in that context. Bolt actions (usually) have a magazine and tend to get called repeaters, single shot do not.
    So a BSA martini would be a singleshot, as would any falling-block or break-barrel or muzzle-loading or similar, but a bolt-action or an under-level action, or what have you, wouldn't be (except for the ISSF ones, which are wierd exceptions really :D )

• Advertisement

So my CZ is a Bolt Action, but the FWB is a single shot?

Yup. Fun, innit? :D I'd say tick both boxes for the FWB and enjoy the ten minutes spent explaining it :D

Sparks wrote: »
    Ha - seems we spotted it before they were done. Tsk, tsk, so much for a staging deployment. Shoddy webmastering, that ;)

I gather there's a lot of I.T. heads involved in shooting and by default here, very defensive of our own work and critical of others. It wouldn't have happened on my watch, shoddy indeed; nah not really, how was he/she to know there'd be an army of nerds scanning for even a new full stop on the site! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭freddieot

I don't see a tick box for 'belt-fed' so I suppose I can keep calling my Mini-Gun a bolt action'

G17 wrote: »
    I gather there's a lot of I.T. heads involved in shooting
    Not really, shooting's about the must luddite-ridden sport I've ever come across :D
    and by default here,
    Here's the exception I think :D
    very defensive of our own work and critical of others. It wouldn't have happened on my watch, shoddy indeed; nah not really, how was he/she to know there'd be an army of nerds scanning for even a new full stop on the site! :D:D:D
    Speaking as someone who earned his pay doing this for years, that's sortof like saying "yes I was drunk your honour, but how did I know that there'd be a cop on the motorway to breathalyse me?"

(It's basic professional practise that you don't change a live production website except in single atomic changes, so you prep everything, test everything and then dump it all to the live site in one shot. And that dumping takes a few seconds at most).

freddieot wrote: »
    I don't see a tick box for 'belt-fed' so I suppose I can keep calling my Mini-Gun a bolt action'
    I think they have a seperate form for Category A firearms ;)

Not really, shooting's about the must luddite-ridden sport I've ever come across :D

As my Granny used to say "a web page never refused html". :D:D:D:D:D

No, but most browsers seem to reject half the stuff I see on shooting websites as badly formed or incompatible :D

So many questions here already, many from those pretty much in the know.

The local FO is going to ring in sick for the next few weeks he reckons. :D

From the DoJ by email (you can just ask them it turns out...):
    As you know the new system starts tomorrow on 1 August 2009.

The Garda Commissioner started issuing extension letters earlier this week
    to all existing licence holders and I understand that the new application
    form is up on the Garda website.

A range of documents will be signed by the Minister tomorrow to give effect
    to the following

· Two fees order (one for the outsourced fees and one on for the non
    outsourced ones);
    · Commencement Order for the remaining elements of CJA 2006 (28, 30, 32
    and 33);
    · Commencement Order for substantial parts of Criminal Justice
    (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 (sections 25, 26, 27, 29, 30, 31, 32,
    33, 35, 37, 39, 40 (part), 41, 42, 43 and 44);
    · New target shooting Clubs S.I.;
    · New secure accommodation regulations for storage of firearms.

Please note that the personal import ban does not come into effect for some
    time yet becase we will have to address in the context of the EU Weapons
    Directive so sections 34, 36 and 38 aren't being commenced just yet.

Copies of the S.I.s will be available early next week.

We will address the ranges S.I. and an amended restricted firearms S.I. in
    due course.

That's been sent to the FCP as well. And of course, they can't absolutely, without any doubt at all, guarantee that the Minister will sign on that schedule, but that's what's expected at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Same as the way you do the TV licence or any other bill I guess.

the licence app will have a number and your payment will be matched against it.

But where is the form/piece of paper to record/prove payment on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Now that i've read the forms i think i'm gonna be sick. The first thing that went through my mind was...

"oh F###, now i've gotta try explain all this to my dear old dad" :D

But where is the form/piece of paper to record/prove payment on ?

I would imagine they can print that, same as for the TV Licence. Or else you will be given piece of paper which they will stamp and that acts as your receipt.

I pay most bills through the post office, its not a hassle and they are well used to dealing with it.

From the DoJ by email (you can just ask them it turns out...):

That's been sent to the FCP as well. And of course, they can't absolutely, without any doubt at all, guarantee that the Minister will sign on that schedule, but that's what's expected at the moment.

Personal import ban?

Have to admit, if you could be a fly on the wall with a video camera and could record the reaction of every farmer on seeing this form for the first time (hell, not just the farmers, every shooter), it'd be funny. I showed it to a hunter I share an office with here, he'd never even heard this was coming, and the look on his face when he saw it was fairly expressive :D

Personal import ban?
    Feck's sake Zara, keep up :D
    The curious case of Section 38.
    (and read the Misc. Bill thread as well, RRPC and I have been arguing over it for a while).

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭freddieot

On a positive note :-

I have to say the new form is a better effort than I expected. Elements of the Barr Report recommendations are very evident but these have been generally included in a very sensible way.

A few issues stand out that will need greater clarification but it could have been a lot worse. I suppose it all depends on how the 'Guildelines' are applied.

I also presume that 'Sights' refers to Night Vision and things like that and that the Gardai really have no interest in whether I have a Schmidt & Bender or a Nightforce etc. Silencer obviously refers to Sound Moderator. A few things like that but generally well constructed (as we know what they mean in most cases).

Still, glad for once I'm not a Firearms Officer this week !

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

I got a quote from RifleCraft in the UK for a complete rebuild on one of my rifles. Will i be able to proceed or should i just forget about it and get the job done here for a third of the cost more?

Go with the UK Hezz, the personal imports thing isn't coming in for a while yet. Be warned though, the UK's a special case where shipping firearms about is becoming a right pain. If you can go to the continental EU instead it might be easier.

• Advertisement

I would urge every target/clay/game club to organise an EGM to help members as soon as the Guidelines come out.

Folks have 3 months at least (ish) to collate info.

Those early adopters should pass on their initial experiences to help others as it can be quite daunting filling in forms, especially those who perhaps don't have the information super highway (well, meandering dirt track) to hand.

It's not straightforward, but it's definitely better for all concerned.

Advertisement