Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Renewal Forms up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Agreed, and I'd love to see here being useful for that as well, but club meetings (technically, I don't know if they'd be EGMs or just Club Meetings - EGMs tend to be to vote on something normally. But whatever) would help to reach the 90% who never bother to keep an eye on this stuff.

It'd be a good idea for NGBs to be pushing this info hard at everyone as well, from their websites to announcements in newsletters, at shoots, at meetings, at events, the works.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Sparks wrote: »
    Go with the UK Hezz, the personal imports thing isn't coming in for a while yet. Be warned though, the UK's a special case where shipping firearms about is becoming a right pain. If you can go to the continental EU instead it might be easier.

Thanks,

What the problem with the UK going to comprise of??

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭freddieot

I'd definitely check with the DOJ on that one. Technically if you already have it here (your existing property) you would only be temporarily exporting it to the UK (if all else fails you could bring it yourself to the shop on your EFP ?).

I think the provision in the Act is intended to stop us importing directly from foreign dealers (tighten import controls) and not to really stop anyone from getting things fixed or adjusted where the gun must be sent abroad. After all, you would be getting the same gun back.

However, you could email the DOJ C4 to seek advice. I believe they are approachable enough, just doing their job etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

Sparks wrote: »
    tend to be to vote on something normally

I reckon many clubs will need to make changes/ammendments to bye laws, constitutions etc. but that's not for members to worry about at this stage, that's 2%'s job!!
    :)

freddieot, the provision in the Act is not yet commenced, so it isn't an issue in practice yet, we're still under the old rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Sound advice Fred, Thanks.
    freddieot wrote: »
    (if all else fails you could bring it yourself to the shop on your EFP ?).

Was kinda planning on doing that anyway...:o

G17 wrote: »
    I reckon many clubs will need to make changes/ammendments to bye laws, constitutions etc. but that's not for members to worry about at this stage, that's 2%'s job!!
    :)
    Actually, yes, I'd forgotten that.
    The 2% are going to be busy for a while :(

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

G17 wrote: »
    I would urge every target/clay/game club to organise an EGM to help members as soon as the Guidelines come out.

Folks have 3 months at least (ish) to collate info.

Those early adopters should pass on their initial experiences to help others as it can be quite daunting filling in forms, especially those who perhaps don't have the information super highway (well, meandering dirt track) to hand.

It's not straightforward, but it's definitely better for all concerned.

G17, you do not have 3 months to do this. If you only get a 3mth extension and the CJA2009 says it can take up to 3mths to process, you must act quickly or you may run out of time at the other end when your extension runs out and you have not recieved your new FAC yet

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

G17, you do not have 3 months to do this. If you only get a 3mth extension and the CJA2009 says it can take up to 3mths to process, you must act quickly or you may run out of time at the other end when your extension runs out and you have not recieved your new FAC yet

the aul lad got his today and his are extended for 4 mths. this is the shortest ive seen yet! anyone know is there anyone with the bare 3 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭derek_g34

Does anyone know where to get hold of the "Firearm (Secure Accommodation) Order, 2009" from page 4?

• Advertisement

It will be out on Tuesday it seems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

I would imagine they can print that, same as for the TV Licence. Or else you will be given piece of paper which they will stamp and that acts as your receipt.

I pay most bills through the post office, its not a hassle and they are well used to dealing with it.

So in short we are hoping the PO know what to do as nobody else does or it's not on the form.................. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Clash

So in short we are hoping the PO know what to do as nobody else does or it's not on the form.................. :rolleyes:

I don't think it's gonna be on the form bunny. You won't need to pay until you get approved, and presumably the approval notice will have a payment slip on it.

Once you pay that in the PO, you can bring the receipt to your local supermarket and pick up your licence(s).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

References?

Who do I go to? My employer? Do I want them knowing I'm a "gun-nut"? How will a large faceless public service employer take that? Don't go to mass. Priest out. Haven't used a solicitor since I bought my house 10 years ago.

How "pillar of the community" do my references have to be?

Renewals I'm sure we're grand on but I've a couple of deposits on. Who the hell do I go to? What about not letting people know you're holding guns?

WTF?

Or am I going overboard on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Family?Vet?Gun club secetary?fellow shooter?wife?Anyone bar a member of the Gardai?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

dresden8 wrote: »
    References?

Who do I go to? My employer? Do I want them knowing I'm a "gun-nut"? How will a large faceless public service employer take that? Don't go to mass. Priest out. Haven't used a solicitor since I bought my house 10 years ago.

Renewals I'm sure we're grand on but I've a couple of deposits on. Who the hell do I go to? What about not letting people know you're holding guns?

WTF?

Wait for the guidelines on this. We don't even know who's acceptable or if it's needed for this form.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Hezz700 wrote: »
    Thanks,

What the problem with the UK going to comprise of??

It is a right pain in the UK now, the BERR (was DTI) have started making life very difficult for exporters of firearms, I had a courier company come back to me about the Article 11, the case officer in the BERR was looking for more documentation to import a rifle!
    I referred the BERR to the DOJ website and also to the actual firearms unit.
    I have a rifle at the moment sitting over in storage ready to be sent here but my Article 11 has now expired along with the FAC.
    Going to be a fun few days next month I imagine:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭milkerman

Look at Section 3.2 - Accessories.
    Silencer, Sights/Other

I wonder would a spare barrell for the Quad qualify as 'Other'?
    Might as well stick on a silencer too I suppose, well why not?:D

References?

WTF?

President and Secretary of your gun club?

rrpc wrote: »
    Wait for the guidelines on this. We don't even know who's acceptable or if it's needed for this form.

Exactly.

Boo sucks to the web-people. I'm aware they were probably under pressure to get as much out as soon as possible, but much negative feedback tp whoever decided to put incomplete info out there. Did they think this was truly the better option?

• Advertisement

President and Secretary of your gun club?

Maybe, but they're selling me something.

How impartial are they?

I'd be suspicious, wouldn't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

References?

WTF?

Yes, you probably are.

BornToKill wrote: »
    Yes, you probably are.

How?

Maybe, but they're selling me something.

How impartial are they?

Any person who knows you will have some bias, either towards or against.
    Obviously the person who writes your letter is the one who you believe has a positive bias.

Come on, at the end of the day, if they are suspicious enough that they have to check a refernce, you probably aren't going to get the gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Meyer

SECTION 8 - OPINION OF ISSUING
    (NFP) SUPERINTENDENT OR CHIEF SUPERINTENDENT

Where the firearm is Restricted, has demonstrated that it is the only type of firearm appropriate for the purpose for which it is required.

Don't like the sound of that one bit:( I don't think it will be a problem with centerfire handguns, but in regards CF semi-auto rifles or high-capacity shotguns with pistol grips, it sounds a hard sell to me...

And also this bit,
    Q. What do I do when my current Firearm Certificate expires on 31st July 2009?
    A. Do nothing until you receive a letter from the Garda Commissioner which will extend your current firearms certificate for at least three months and a maximum of twelve months.

Do nothing? So I can't just download the forms and take them in my FO because I haven't received an extension letter yet!

Clash wrote: »
    I don't think it's gonna be on the form bunny. You won't need to pay until you get approved, and presumably the approval notice will have a payment slip on it.

Once you pay that in the PO, you can bring the receipt to your local supermarket and pick up your licence(s).

Thanks for that ;) You seem very informed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Clash

Clash wrote:

Thanks for that ;) You seem very informed :)

I know you always like a good conspiracy theory bunny, but in this case I used my super duper common sense power ;)

These are applications so clearly you don't pay money until you get approved. I mean theres always the chance you'll be refused. :eek:

After that, its just appplied guesswork with added common sense and a little dash of experience in dealing with public payment systems.

So no, I dont have some deep throat source in the DoJ :D

So it's only a theory and if your depending on DOJ etc to use common sense I reckon we will all be disappointed :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭ballistic

what does limited certificate mean? i.e would a shotgun for shooting game be a limited cert?

Does being a member of the NARGC count for anything? Do I still have togo to a farmer to get a signature?

Even if I am a member of a gun club?

Even if I got farmers permission and submitted it many years ago?

what about having a specific gun for clay shooting? i.e for flapper shoots / Nargc league shoots and not being a member of a specific clay target club?

Thanks to everyone for their help which is much appreciated.

Advertisement