Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Renewal Forms up

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭lucky-colm

so let me get this straight
    i don't have to do anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭eireshot

What about the landowners permission part?, do we have to send an orignal, or will a copy be ok?, if it has to be the orignal, a lot of farmers will be well p..... off giving them out again, as one of them told me today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

lucky-colm wrote: »
    so let me get this straight
    i don't have to do anything?
    You're going to have to break with a lifetimes habit there colm and give us a little more information. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

Tbh guys, this new form looks like a big improvement over the old one. Far more straightforward, everything in the one place.

But.... when exactly can we start using it? I dislike confusing legislation :(

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

Lads no harm in printing out your forms and start filling them in straight away,will save some time when your extension runs out.
    I would suggesting that the forms get sent in a.s.a.p. to give that gardai time to proccess them and get back to you if they need more info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

daveob007 wrote: »
    Lads no harm in printing out your forms and start filling them in straight away,will save some time when your extension runs out.
    I would suggesting that the forms get sent in a.s.a.p. to give that gardai time to proccess them and get back to you if they need more info.

Dont forget that the 3mth processing time stars from them receiving your "completed appliction form", so if you have to submit more documents their 3mths only starts hen ALL documents are recieved

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

ballistic wrote: »
    what does limited certificate mean? i.e would a shotgun for shooting game be a limited cert?

Does being a member of the NARGC count for anything? Do I still have togo to a farmer to get a signature?

Even if I am a member of a gun club?

Even if I got farmers permission and submitted it many years ago?

what about having a specific gun for clay shooting? i.e for flapper shoots / Nargc league shoots and not being a member of a specific clay target club?

Thanks to everyone for their help which is much appreciated.
    I think the limited cert is gone and the cost is 80 euros for the 3 years anyway,so if you already have a farmers letter that should be ok,,just go back to that fella and make sure its still ok,because the gardai might check.
    Club membership should be enough to put on your application,you just need a membership number and proof that you are a member.

Also noticed on the application form the section for the training licence.
    A person between 14 and 16 years old can apply for a training cert for a particular gun only and not a class of gun, ie 1 gun.per application.
    also it only applies to non restriced firearms,so does this mean that .22 pistols of olympic class cannot be applied for on the training cert???/
    or are they classed as unrestricted?? anyone??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Also noticed on the application form the section for the training licence.
    A person between 14 and 16 years old can apply for a training cert for a particular gun only and not a class of gun, ie 1 gun.per application.
    also it only applies to non restriced firearms,so does this mean that .22 pistols of olympic class cannot be applied for on the training cert???/
    or are they classed as unrestricted?? anyone??

They're unrestricted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Dont forget that the 3mth processing time stars from them receiving your "completed appliction form", so if you have to submit more documents their 3mths only starts hen ALL documents are recieved
    According to the extension letter you cannot apply any earlier than 3 months before the expiry of the extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Meyer

Bond-007 wrote: »
    According to the extension letter you cannot apply any earlier than 3 months before the expiry of the extension.

I think you have that wrong. Its you have up until 3 months before the expiry to apply, less than 3 months and you risk having an unlicensed firearm.

just looking at section 4;2 on the form
    REASON WHY THIS TYPE OF FIREARM IS REQUIRED
    you are asked to explain on a seperate sheet why this type is required.
    what do you put down for a 9mm pistol????

just looking at section 4;2 on the form
    REASON WHY THIS TYPE OF FIREARM IS REQUIRED
    you are asked to explain on a seperate sheet why this type is required.
    what do you put down for a 9mm pistol????

Yeah I plan to supplement the application with a letter explaining why I want the rifles and ammo increases and the like.

Target shooting I guess.

The section in the form asking you for your rang/club pulse id is causing some confusion.
    I spoke to my ro this morning and he informs me that no ranges in the country have been given a pulse id as yet.
    this is been worked on now and hopefully should be resolved before the extensions run out.
    The gardai know this so if its not sorted by them you should be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

The section in the form asking you for your rang/club pulse id is causing some confusion.
    I spoke to my ro this morning and he informs me that no ranges in the country have been given a pulse id as yet.
    this is been worked on now and hopefully should be resolved before the extensions run out.
    The gardai know this so if its not sorted by them you should be ok.
    Well that could be any time up to July 2010!

There's a place for the name of the club/range, so just enter that. I think I mentioned that in the section by section guide I did earlier on this thread.

I also see you are to submit the application to the Super direct.

Now if the Gardaí already have your landowners permissions on file do you need to go back and get new letters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭realismpol

i would think not. I mean say the farmer had died/ill etc in the meantime what are you supposed to do give your gun up because you can't get a reference anymore. The original letter should be enough. I think they are going to have be leniant in some cases i.e above scenario.

I hope the gaurds have money for buybacks if this isn't the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I think buybacks are somewhat like the panther stalking Donegal - and if the farmer's died since you got the letter, you pretty much can't say you still have permission from the landowner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭realismpol

well i think that it aint the easiest thing to get permission nowadays from landowners for hunting so i think a lot of legitimate owners/hunters over the past few years will have to give up their guns. Another triumph against crime..

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Scolopax

OK, maybe I'm missing something here but I can't find any mention of permissions for hunting or membership of a gun club (game type) on the FCA1 form. Only mention of permission I see is for Section 5.2 in respect of a Limited Certificate. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

This goes some way to explaining the form and by the looks of things and from a conversation today looks like a model form will be available on NARGC website

http://www.nargc.ie/site.aspx

I don't think the NARGC's model should be followed if it's posted before half the SIs and guidelines relevant to the form have been signed and published.
    I know personally, I'm sitting back and waiting a week to fill mine in so I can see the SIs and Guidelines first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

Sparks wrote: »
    I don't think the NARGC's model should be followed if it's posted before half the SIs and guidelines relevant to the form have been signed and published.
    I know personally, I'm sitting back and waiting a week to fill mine in so I can see the SIs and Guidelines first.

Keep us political-illiterates posted won't you Sparks? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Sparks wrote: »

I half agree.........I note no guidelines are up yet and that maybe a worry that the guards all of a sudden are taking there ball and going home. However The form isnt that difficult to answer without the guidance. (it aint rocket science) Most of what the NARGC have said on secure storage has been reported through the FCP.

In fairness to the NARGC they have put something up their for their members must check the other representative bodies websites

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

You can't answer about secure storage though, since it's not been published. Better to wait until the facts are in. I'm in one of the first lots up for renewal too.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

what is the story with the club pulse ids?
    are they being issued to target clubs/ranges or are they also being issued to nargc gun clubs aswel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Scoogles

Madness, you fill in a substantial form, attach one photo per application/firearm even though you only have one personal pulse number yourself. You give it to your local f/officer and he gives it to the super. the super gives it back to the guard who updates pulse which gets the post office to send you a letter to say your licence is approved and bring this notice along to the post office to pay for your licence. But your licence is then posted out to you after the post office updates the computer. An Post are laughing, they're going to make a few bob in this bureacratic nightmare. Was talking to my local firearms officer last night and he was nearly going to climb under the table when he saw me coming. For once I nearly feltsorry for him.

The various SIs are out now, see this thread.

Scoogles wrote: »
    Madness, you fill in a substantial form, attach one photo per application/firearm even though you only have one personal pulse number yourself. You give it to your local f/officer and he gives it to the super. the super gives it back to the guard who updates pulse which gets the post office to send you a letter to say your licence is approved and bring this notice along to the post office to pay for your licence. But your licence is then posted out to you after the post office updates the computer. An Post are laughing, they're going to make a few bob in this bureacratic nightmare. Was talking to my local firearms officer last night and he was nearly going to climb under the table when he saw me coming. For once I nearly feltsorry for him.
    No need to go to the FO anymore. You can submit to the super direct.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 irl22

Had a read through the form. Lots of straight forward parts to it. But one thing struck me. Section 2.2 is a bit vague or is it meant to be.

'Do you suffer from, or have you been diagnosed or treated for any medical condition (physical / mental) that may affect your ability to possess, carry of use firearms, safely?'

So basically if you've ever been in hospital, or had any form of illness you have to tick yes or is it only for certain conditions?

I wonder are GPs / consultants even aware that the Gardai may be requesting peoples medical history’s?

Advertisement