Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Renewal Forms up

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

irl22 wrote: »
    Had a read through the form. Lots of straight forward parts to it. But one thing struck me. Section 2.2 is a bit vague or is it meant to be.

'Do you suffer from, or have you been diagnosed or treated for any medical condition (physical / mental) that may affect your ability to possess, carry of use firearms, safely?'

So basically if you've ever been in hospital, or had any form of illness you have to tick yes or is it only for certain conditions?

I wonder are GPs / consultants even aware that the Gardai may be requesting peoples medical history’s?

This must be the point they are trying to get from you. So the answer should be NO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

clivej wrote: »
    This must be the point they are trying to get from you. So the answer should be NO
    Eh, only no Clive if it's true :pac:

I think people are missing this thread as it was no longer on the front page, so I'm bumping it as there's lots of questions appearing that are answered here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Have the IFA cought wind of this, I can see alot of peeved farmers, and those who do vermin control based on the nod of a farmer. MOST shooters would't have written permission and all that lark.

I go out shoot a rabbit eat the rabbit. If i'm asked to shoot the odd crow/fox/trespasser/rat I oblige. This seems far too much effort for those who just want to shoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

maglite wrote: »
    Have the IFA cought wind of this
    If not, someone was asleep in their chair on the FCP...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Losing guns is the least of IFA's troubles at the minute, believe you me.

Go next door and visit the Farming forum, is not good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

Forget farmers for just a moment and lets shoot back to section 3.2 silencers and optics

Is it the case that only those that already have approved silencer ownership, simply place a tick in the relevant box OR is this an opportunity to apply for such an item?

Surly if you were applying for a new firearm licence you would simply fill in the relevant box [silencer YES], otherwise why have it on the form at all? Perhaps they should have given more to this one section which seems to have been an after thought!

Is there any legislation listed about the legal method for silence approval?

Is it the case that only those that already have approved silencer ownership, simply place a tick in the relevant box OR is this an opportunity to apply for such an item?
    It's supposed to be the latter from what's been heard so far.
    Is there any legislation listed about the legal method for silence approval?
    Yes, under section one of the act, a silencer is a firearm therefore you can apply for a licence or authorisation the same way you would for any other firearm.

So if i'm reading it right it "seems that" this is an opportunity to make an official application for a "silencer".
    #
    But what happens if you unsuccessful in relation to the silencer. Is the licence still approved for the main firearm (gun)?

PS Did you read nargc's take on it?

Ivan, you've had two application processes for moderators for years - either for a firearms certificate for one or for an authorisation for one (the latter being the more common approach). With this checkbox, you now have three application processes - either for a firearms certificate for one, or for an authorisation for one, or for a firearms certificate for your rifle which includes your moderator.

Actually, you used to have that last one as well, but only where the moderator was integral to the rifle.

So basicly, not much has changed here.

• Advertisement

Yes. It's not incorrect as such, but it's not very complete, and it's mildly inaccurate as a result.

Sparks wrote: »
    Yes. It's not incorrect as such, but it's not very complete, and it's mildly inaccurate as a result.
    Well all this aside! what would you suggest?

Should i use this opportunity to apply for a silencer or might it be best to go the old route, which is a bit of a hit and miss affair at the best of time as its a direct link to the old system which we should all be glad to see gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

If you don't already have a silencer, I would apply for the rifle license first, then go poking into a silencer license/permit after your own license is approved. That's what I intend to do anyway, slightly confused as to what, if anything, I'd be putting on the line in terms of a refusal so I'm going to make sure of what I have first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

Well all this aside! what would you suggest?

Should i use this opportunity to apply for a silencer or might it be best to go the old route, which is a bit of a hit and miss affair at the best of time as its a direct link to the old system which we should all be glad to see gone.

not sayin ya should or ya shouldnt
    i ticked the box and on a seperate sheet wrote why i needed the use of a "silencer" and gave reference to farmers with there phone numbers
    i.e shooting night time
    not wanting to scare horses
    will see what comes back from it

johngalway wrote: »
    If you don't already have a silencer, I would apply for the rifle license first, then go poking into a silencer license/permit after your own license is approved. That's what I intend to do anyway, slightly confused as to what, if anything, I'd be putting on the line in terms of a refusal so I'm going to make sure of what I have first.

Yes i see your POV and it very valid, But TBH i think that this first 3year licence run will be fast-tracked (just a little bit) so as such IMO i think it might be strategic move!

Everybody wants this new system to run smoothly!

endasmail wrote: »
    not sayin ya should or ya shouldnt
    i ticked the box and on a seperate sheet wrote why i needed the use of a "silencer" and gave reference to farmers with there phone numbers
    i.e shooting night time
    not wanting to scare horses
    will see what comes back from it

Personally I think i try this route.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

So if i'm reading it right it "seems that" this is an opportunity to make an official application for a "silencer".
    #
    But what happens if you unsuccessful in relation to the silencer. Is the licence still approved for the main firearm (gun)?

Talking with my FO tonight you will still get the "Permission to Use" letter for your mod. It won't show up on the new license card.

And the completed forms will be kept in the local nick for reference.

Talking with my FO tonight you will still get the "Permission to Use" letter for your mod. It won't show up on the new license card.
    I think if they don't change that restricted list a bit sharpish, that might get interesting (as noted in another thread, I'm having one of those WTF moments reading section 2 and I don't think the local Super can legally issue an authorisation like that anymore for a fullbore mod).

Ivan, your query is a simple one. Do you need a moderator? If yes, apply with the reason why. If no, it's not an issue. End of problem, really.

And the completed forms will be kept in the local nick for reference.
    I'd lean towards it being on the licence. After all, it's better for the Gardai to see at a glance what you're licensed for rather than rooting around for extra pieces of paper.

Advertisement