Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DreamBox 800HD v TM6900 super

• 31-07-2009 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

After getting my motorised system all set up and working "ish" I have been told I was a fool for buying a Technomate 6900 super, and i should invest in a dreambox. Well my box will be here today hopefully and I was wondering if any of you have information or tips on the box and which way I should go.

Even if you have a technomate 6900 tell me what you think of it as i amay be missing a trick or 4 :)

Anyway feel free to reply i am on most of the day.

1Love

Jonny

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Have you considered an Azbox? Does everything a DB can do but cheaper. Firmware still in beta but looking good for future releases.

What's your budget? Do you want PVR, HD, Freesat, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

well i spent 300 for the TM and 300 for the BD so i think ive spent enough :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

the tm6900 is a brilliant box. But you perhaps should have brought an AZbox if you were considering a DB! The HD picture on the tm is 2nd to none

ok so got my BD and first thing is its tiny!!!! plus no HDMI out only DVI and scart also it has no CAM slots one card slot.

Kind of dont see whta the bid deal is now my TM has alot more!!! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,490 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I have the TM 6900 HD (non super) for over a year. Great HD picture, very easy to use, never gave any problems. However I like watching feeds and with so many of them being in 4:2:2 I will probably get the AZ box which can decode these.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭zbluebirdz

Jonny, it depends on what you want to do and use it for ...

For the past 3 months, I've been using a TM6900 SC+
    - DTT tuner
    - SAT tuner
    - UHF out
    - basic PVR (record a channel while you're out/sleeping/whatever)
    - HDMI output
    - receives SD & HD signals
    - EPG - now & next
    - dvb & dvi subtitles (but not record them)
    - personal channel order
    - < few watts in standby mode
    - needed to be "depowered" every now and then
    - no PIP

Was looking at the DM800 HD - fairly expensive in comparison to what the TM6900SC+ has/can do. Never used one myself.
    - single SAT tuner (you can swap it for DTT or Cable tuner)
    - basic PVR
    - DVI to HD output (is this pure HD?)

Also looked at the AZBox. Suppose to have similar features as TM6900 along with multi-media features.
    - Bit buggy at the moment.

Am looking to suppliment/replace the TM6900SC+. Want one with two SAT tuners (capable of recording on one, watch anything on other). Better EPG (what's next after next?) Better subtitle options. Nice to have HD output. Be grand if it could make me a hot chocolate! :D Only trouble I'm having is finding a website that has lots of reviews and test results of receivers.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I have the TM6900 Super and find it a great box. It's easy to setup and work.

If I were to replace it, I'd probably consider the AZbox, but not until it works properly.

@zbluebirdz: DVI is as good as HDMI, picture wise when it comes to HD. However, it doesn't carry audio, unlike HDMI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

byte wrote: »
    I have the TM6900 Super and find it a great box. It's easy to setup and work.

If I were to replace it, I'd probably consider the AZbox, but not until it works properly.

@zbluebirdz: DVI is as good as HDMI, picture wise when it comes to HD. However, it doesn't carry audio, unlike HDMI.

DVI can carry audio, but it usually does not. The DM800HD carrys audio and video DVI which is then output to a DVI to HDMI cable. Have one myself and can confirm AC3 over DVI/HDMI
    $ausage$ wrote: »
    no HDMI out only DVI and scart also it has no CAM slots one card slot.

Also the card reader will read pretty much anything by means of a soft cam so the need for a CI slot is negated

ah i see!!!

well just flashed my box there and now i have to wait for the internet to be installed in the club before i can use the DB. I use the softcam on the TM but want "more" if you know what i mean.

I havent tried the DVI out yet if anyone wants pics of any of these items or any info on it just shout as i have both up and going now.

Cheers

Jonny

1Love

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

you can use a softcam like cccam to use your official sub, i have digitalb at the moment, thinking of switching to cyfra

PS careful now!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

M5 wrote: »
    DVI can carry audio, but it usually does not. The DM800HD carrys audio and video DVI which is then output to a DVI to HDMI cable. Have one myself and can confirm AC3 over DVI/HDMI

Also the card reader will read pretty much anything by means of a soft cam so the need for a CI slot is negated
    Interesting, I didn't realise DMM utilised audio over DVI.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement