Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC World: Spyware removal? Total robbery?

Options
  • 31-07-2009 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Got back from holiday this day last week to find my laptop totally crippled by Spyware. Really upset/angry etc. I downloaded Avast anti-spyware and tried to remove it myself but to no avail, the laptop was in that bad a condition it couldnt run the program.

So i decided i would pay to have it fixed by professionals, and PC World seemed the most legitimate place to have it done. I explained the problems and what i had tried to do, handed it over along with €60 and was told 4 to 5 days and it would be as good as new. Grand.

This morning i got a phone call from PC World telling me my laptop was fine. He actually said "Hang on, let me just check here... Yes, everything is fine." and that i could come and collect it. I took it home and booted it up and the first thing i am greeted with is "You have infected files that could damage your system." I try to run MSN, Internet Explorer and iTunes, basic programs, none of which will run. Nothing had changed from when i gave it to them.

I called the store and was put on to someone who told me that they couldnt remove the spyware. So i asked why i was told it was fixed and could i have my €60 back. He told me i paid €60 for diagnostics and they had determined there was a problem with Windows, if i wanted Windows to be re-installed it would be €50. I calmly told him i was not interested and hung up.

Can they do this? To me that is a disgrace and blatant robbery. Basically they took my laptop for 5 days, took €60 and then gave it back. There is no evidence that they even turned it on.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sounds like bollox to be honest, I think once or trwice I've seen a PC with spyware I just couldn't fix...everything else is perfectly fixable with enough time and apps (time is uinlikely to be something PC World will spend fixing your PC though imho)

Clearly you should not have been told its fixed if it was not, if you wanted to check did they even turn on the PC you could check the windows event logs during the period you gave it to PC World.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Were you made aware at the time you left your laptop in that there was a charge of €60 just to look at it ? and €50 to reinstall Windows :eek:. If that’s the case you would of been as well just restoring the laptop yourself than handing them over €110 for a 40 minute job that basically does itself (I would of done it for half the price :p)

Like cabaal said, check the event logs, I'd say they turned it on once and either hadn't a clue what to do or just couldn't be bothered and looking for a quick few euro.

Speaking from my own experiences and stories I have heard from friends, and the story last week on Sky News, I wouldn't even consider PC World as a "last resort".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I was told the €60 was for Spyware removal and "System check".

Im fairly good with computers myself, so to be honest when the guy told me the €60 was for Diagostics and they found that there was a probelm with Windows i asked him if he was trying to insult my intellegence. As soon as he mentioned a further €50 to re-intall Windows i had had enough and just took routes to end the phone call.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Can they do this?

No. You paid for it to be fixed. It wasn't fixed. End of story.

Fairly expensive price for a re-master considering you had to bring the machine to them.

I was told the €60 was for Spyware removal and "System check".
    Job wasn't done and I'd be asking for my money back, simple as that.

What does the system check report say ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

FYI, I would not consider The staff of PC world to be professionals.

They are mostly under trained sales monkeys at best, The average 1st year computing student can outfox them when it comes to technical knowledge or problem resolution.

Download spybot search and destroy and run it, it will take care of any spyware issues you have.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

hellboy99 wrote: »
    What does the system check report say ?

Yeah I'd be looking for this, like the likes of the geeksquad PC world should generate a report to show what may need to be done if they could not "resolve" the issue.

You should have been given such a report when they first told you the laptop was "fixed".

Perhaps PC's use of the term "fixed" is different to everyone elses? :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Mikeyt086 wrote:
    So i decided i would pay to have it fixed by professionals, and PC World seemed the most legitimate place to have it done.
    Mikeyt086 wrote:
    Im fairly good with computers myself,

I'm sorry to be rude but If you were anyway decent with computers you'd know that PC World are the last place to buy/bring a machine. They're 110% terrible.
    They don't fix PCs. all they do is reformat, if you're lucky.

I've heard or read so many horrible stories about them over the years.
    Here is a more humorous one. (The comments alone are worth a read)

Do you have any evidence such, as a receipt, of the charge being for repair rather than diagnostics? (Which clearly seemed to involve just turning it on)

Check this out before you contact them again.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/consumer-affairs/consumer-protection/consumer-complaints/how_to_make_a_consumer_complaint

Cabaal wrote: »
    You should have been given such a report when they first told you the laptop was "fixed".
    They are suppose to generate a report for everything they get in (one for their records and one for the customer, plus a sticker on the product to be repaired), whether it goes back out fixed or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭thebourke

the software you need to use is super-antispyware ..we used it here at work for getting rid of most anti spyware programs...
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-adware-spyware-scumware-remover.htm
    This software is free..i have it installed on my own pc at home...

It is important you have an anti-virus and anti spyware program on your pc nowadays...and to keep them update.I could have fixed our pc for less than what they charge...i cant believe they couldnt fix it....
    any probs let me know...Liam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

5uspect wrote: »
    They don't fix PCs. all they do is reformat, if you're lucky.
    That is what I expect many do, for 2 reasons, speed & ease of course, and secondly they will know it should be fine and not leave any undetected problems so if it does act up in a months time you might be back.

I would sooner leave it with a mate, I am usually the guy my mates come to, I had a sony that was still under warranty with a mates photos of all his kids etc, not backed up (as usual!). I had to leave the PC plugged in for I think 72hours non stop as it extracted files to an external disk, in the end I got all his photos & music back and THEN he returned it and got it repaired (damaged HD I think). But I expect the shop would not leave it setup that long, probably not want to pay electricity for the 72 hours! Far easier to just blank it and say "we did all we could".

I remember dell & gateway 2000 lads on the phone, telling them the problems, and them straight away telling me to do this & that, like "this is how to fix this problem", and I was replying "ehh are you telling my how to format my hard drive?" and hung up. It frees up the phones quicker I suppose :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Indeed. A format is the best way to fix someone else's PC.
    To recover unbacked up data tho is a valuable service. People don't seem to appreciate how lucky the sometimes are.

If I had €60 for every PC I've formatted...
    Perhaps the OP got off lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭thebourke

thats another common mitake..people just dont back up their data!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

That's crazy. I've done some PC repair business and you'll find most companies offer a no fix no fee service as it's a competitive area. You really should have known to avoid PC World though. I'd ask them for a copy of the system check that cost €60.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Sky did a survey of laptop repair shops, leaving in a machine with a stick of RAM loosened to simulate a problem that was easily and quickly repairable...
    link wrote:
    PC World in nearby Brentford demanded an advance payment of £230 for a new motherboard. However, on collection Sky engineers discovered that only the loose memory chip had been replaced. PC World have since apologised and refunded the £230.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Sky-News-Laptop-Investigation-PC-World-Digitech-Micro-Anvika-Evnova-Exposed-In-Undercover-Expose/Article/200907315343360?lid=ARTICLE_15343360_SkyNewsLaptopInvestigation:PCWorld,Digitech,MicroAnvika,EvnovaExposedInUndercoverExpose&lpos=searchresults

For anyone still thinking PC World are anything but a bunch of conniving feckers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

That's outrageous. If you wanted to draft an email announcing your displeasure and post it here, I would be willing to forward it on to them also, asking why they engage in such a practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭NilByMouth

Dont let them away with it.
    1.Check your event logs to see what they done if anything.

2.get the report of them

3.find out what can be down legaly for yourself(consumer association and the small claims court)

4.get your money back.

60 euro diagnosis my hairy ar$e:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Ok here is what i have done in the 6 hours since ive been home from PC World:

1. Downloaded and ran AVG Anti-spyware and cleared my system. Its now running fine touch wood.

2. Spoke with my dad, a solicitor, about getting my money back. Wont be a problem.

3. Slapped myself for going to PC World in the first place.

Im going back tomorrow with my recipts and getting my money back. I dont know why i went to them in the first place. I was wrecked from my "holiday" in Spain and quite ill, so the last thing i wanted to do was fix my own laptop. In hindsight i wish i just waited.

Either way, thanks for all replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭NilByMouth

Let us know how you get on,just curious how those fcukwits will reply to you

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

NilByMouth wrote: »
    Let us know how you get on,just curious how those fcukwits will reply to you

+1

• Advertisement

Wertz wrote: »
    Sky did a survey of laptop repair shops, leaving in a machine with a stick of RAM loosened to simulate a problem that was easily and quickly repairable...
    Originally Posted by link
    PC World in nearby Brentford demanded an advance payment of £230 for a new motherboard. However, on collection Sky engineers discovered that only the loose memory chip had been replaced. PC World have since apologised and refunded the £230.
    Similar goings on at our local ;)
    Im going back tomorrow with my recipts and getting my money back.
    While your there, ask them for a copy of the system check report (if any :rolleyes:), would love to see what it says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

i know a person who was charged €200 by pc world in navan to put more ram and windows xp on a 700mhz p3

about 3 months later the laptop started reporting that the OS was not genuine., it was a dirty xp pro corp warez install

so they charged €200 to fit an (probably) old stick of 256 sd-ram and spend an hour installing an os (probably automated)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

1. Downloaded and ran AVG Anti-spyware and cleared my system. Its now running fine touch wood.

2. Spoke with my dad, a solicitor, about getting my money back. Wont be a problem.

Im going back tomorrow with my recipts and getting my money back. I dont know why i went to them in the first place. I was wrecked from my "holiday" in Spain and quite ill, so the last thing i wanted to do was fix my own laptop. In hindsight i wish i just waited.

check out this forum it may have all the information you need to keep your laptop free of spyware and malware
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1009

and this
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055302580

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

If your looking for a really good antivirus/anti-spyware solution, let me recommend ESET Smart Security.

It should eliminate your current problems + protect your PC from future ones, it can be obtained from certain retailers in Ireland or on there official website (eset.com) for much cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

I'm curious, its been a while since the incident, how'd you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Stunning, quite stunning. We debated PC world not long back....

1. Dont use MS software to communicate with the outside world. (Not that they are worse than others, which they are... just that they are targeted).
    Chrome, Firefox for browsing.
    Thunderbird for email (or use gmail online)
    VLC player for media files.

etc etc.

Use defender (a good MS app), Spyware Doctor (free with google apps) to clean a system.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

just recover you system back to factory settings. if its a vista/windows 7 model you can recover it from (usually) your BIOS using your f8/alt f8/ or f10 button. each model is different. use Google for that.

if no joy, look for your recovery manager in your > start > search ..then type in 'recovery'. make your recovery disks and keep them safe aside.(after using them of course)

if its XP i hope you still have the disks that came with it.

i would generally run a full system recovery every 10-14 months just to keep system files in shape. its good for the life of your pc i find.

thats €60 please :P

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

So i decided i would pay to have it fixed by professionals, and PC World seemed the most legitimate place to have it done.
    That made my day :D
    rubadub wrote: »
    dell & gateway 2000
    Dell & Gateway will tell you the quickest way to get the PC fixed. I doubt you'll find a (standard home) warranty that gives a damn about your data.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The only good job that PC World ever did was telling the cops what they'd found on Gary Glitter's hard drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

By far the best free (and paid) tool out there for removing crap from your machine is MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.

I would generally also use Super Anti-Spyware, Adaware, Spybot and HijackThis (if you have more advanced skills) just to make sure the problem is fixed. Also clear your temporary files and internet cache.

With regards antivirus protect long term you cannot beat Kaspersky (for very strong protection) or ESET Nod32 or ESET Smart Security (ESET takes up less computer resources than Kaspersky). Both are paid products but both are worth it.

Advertisement