Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC World Returns Policy on faulty item - no receipt?

Options
  • 31-07-2009 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭

I purchased a wireless modem from PC World last year (less than 12 months ago) and it has recently ceased to function.

Seeing as it's less than 12 months old I don't think it should have broken so soon and there was definitely nobody interfering with it at any stage or anything.

The thing is I've searched high and low and I just can't find my receipt for it, I think I recall hearing that faulty items can be returned without a receipt however I could be making this up! :P

So I figured some of you enlightened gurus on here could best advise me; Do PC World have to accept it and either Repair, Replace or Refund if I have no receipt provided it's faulty and purchased less than 12 months ago or can I go whistle?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

hi, i returned unopened non faultyvitem ( tv stand) last week, in galway, without receipt. however i had only bought it a few days previously and yhey were able to pull up transaction on there pc. they were Surprisingly nice about it. however circumstaces are a bit different to yours. do you stll have the box/barcode - if yes they may be able to do same for you, especially if you know date of purchase etc. anyway best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

You need a proof of purchase, basically, not necessarily a receipt.

If you paid by card (Laser, Visa, Mastercard), you can pull up a statement showing the transaction and amount and PC World should be able to look up their records to find the transaction for the router at that time.

If you paid by cash though, then really your only proof of purchase will be your receipt, without which, you don't have a comeback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The thing is I've searched high and low and I just can't find my receipt for it, I think I recall hearing that faulty items can be returned without a receipt however I could be making this up! :P

You don't need a receipt, but you do need a proof of purchase, such as a credit/debit card statement. If you use one of these to pay, PC World can recall the sales receipt from their system. If you paid cash, there's probably going to be no way to find it.

So I figured some of you enlightened gurus on here could best advise me; Do PC World have to accept it and either Repair, Replace or Refund if I have no receipt provided it's faulty and purchased less than 12 months ago or can I go whistle?

Without a proof of purchase, they don't have to do anything.

Pipped at the post :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

Thanks for the replies guys!

Just as I expected. I have the original box with their own security sticker still attached etc, and their barcode doubt this will be enough though.

Honestly can't remember how I paid at the time... could have been cash!

Hmmm methinks going through some past cc and laser statements may be in order and I just might get lucky! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

If the item was over €100, then they shouyld have asked for your details and added it to their system. That way they have a record of sales with the person's name etc on their system. I cannot remember if they keep the details for one or two years, but as your purchase is under 12 months, then it should be listed under your name if it cost over 100

You could always try going through the manufacturer on the off chance that they may take mercy on you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Used to work there a while back.
    The reciept lookup system is pretty good. If it was lazer or cc they only need the last four numbers of the card and the time it was bought. As long as you know the rough time period it was bought, you should be ok.

If its cash it can be harder and I doubt they took your name down if it was only around 100. You never know though.

If you can, drop in during the week as there will be less people in there. When things were mental at the weekend we normally wouldnt do a reciept lookup as the majority of customers who ask for one would give a massive time frame and you can only search a small time period each time. Longest one I ever did was about 45 mins as the customer would change the story every time I couldn't find her reciept.

Advertisement