Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child wetting the bed

Options
  • 31-07-2009 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭

I'm probably repeating this topic but i can't find an old thread of the subject.

My 3 year old child has been wearing night pull ups since 6 months ago but every morning when i take it off, its very heavy.

I wanted him not to wear one every night any more as he is growing up . We wanted him not to rely on it so we started 2 nights ago not to wear one. told him to go to the loo in the middle of night.We make sure he drinks fluid 2 hours before bed time.

But in the last 2 nights, he wet the bed easily. I know i have only started training him and i willing to keep going until he combats the problem

Is there any parent out there that have any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lalalulu

Hi. My brother and sil went through this a few years ago. Their little fella was constantly wetting the bed and so they started to lift him at around 12 at night still half asleep and walked him to the bathroom to go to the toilet.
    It might not sound ideal but my nephew did stop wetting the bed after they had been doing this a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

This isn't even considered an issue or problem until the child is at least 7 years old.

There are a lot of children that wet the bed but there are plenty of parents who will not admit it.

Public Health Nurses run enurisis clinics and in the main will not even see the child until they're at least 7. Next time you're in a supermarket just look at the age range for the dry nights. They go up to 15 years of age. If there wasn't a demand for them the shops wouldn't sell them as their main interest in profit.

Lifting a child at night isn't training the child as the child needs to learn to recognise when it's bladder is full. PHNs tell parents to stop lifting children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

Some very practical tips
    1. have a chat with your child about it. he is old enough to understand what is going on. Don't make it a 'big boy' issue as any failures will mean he is a baby, or if he doesn't really want to be considered a big boy he may sabotage your efforts
    2. No more liquids two hours before bed
    3. Empty bladder before bed
    4. Take your child out of be and sit them on the toilet when you are going to bed. Even if drowsy, they will automatically e.
    5.NO MATTER WHAT DO NOT PUT THEM BACK IN NAPPIES(INCLUDING HOLIDAYS, STAYING AT OTHER PEOPLES HOUSES ETC). if you do, its back to square one each time

(B.A. ECCE)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

I never took mine out of pull-ups until they were able to go through the night with completely dry pull-ups. It got to the point that the were able to wear the same pull-up for several days until in the end they both decided themselves they didn't need them any more. . . Once they left them behind I don't think we ever had any bed-wetting incidents.

I think this works well because during the early stages when they do have accidents there is none of the associated bed-wetting trauma . . In my experience the worst thing you can do when trying to train young kids to do anything is make a big issue of it !

The softly softly approach also work but it can be embarrassing for a four/five year-old in school when they realise they a re the only ones who wear pull ups to bed! especiallt getting innto the sleep over stages.
    Toilet training can be traumatic for children due to many badly handled situations. Communication is very important, as well as LISTENING to how the child feels about the situation
    By the way, dry pull ups should not be used over and over again... thats pretty disgusting. Its even more absorbant than underwear

• Advertisement

Jinxi wrote: »
    By the way, dry pull ups should not be used over and over again... thats pretty disgusting. Its even more absorbant than underwear

Yeah, thanks for that. . it's pretty easy to tell the difference between a proper dry pull up and one that has absorbed . . so I don't agree with the 'disgusting' comment, but your advice on keeping my children clean is most appreciated !

Not just a hygiene issue.
    Reused nappies and pull ups can increase the chances of children getting Toxic Shock Syndrome
    Your Welcome

Jinxi wrote: »
    Not just a hygiene issue.
    Reused nappies and pull ups can increase the chances of children getting Toxic Shock Syndrome
    Your Welcome

OK, Off-topic but lets keep this factual. There is some evidence (albeit very disputable) that keeping wet nappies close to a baby's skin for long periods of time can cause TSS. . . . There is no evidence whatsoever that reusing unsoiled, dry pullups over a couple of nights will cause TSS.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I have spoken to my little boy and he understands it well .He think he a grown up without the pull up. He also make sure he goes to the loo before he goes to bed. I wouldnt dream of making it a big issue! There no problem with him wetting bed when it happens.

Everytimes he wet the bed, it just a solution crossed off and we have to come up with a different method. We have reduced his fluid intake but he get very thirsty easily and have been caught hiding a bottle of water in his toy box. lol.Cheeky brat ! lol

No we havent gone back to pull up or ever will!! This is just the begining and we tend we work with him to combat it without having to resource back to the easier option.

One thing i have noticed that the wet area seem to be smaller than 2 weeks ago when we started!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Doesn't make sense that its ok to put a new pullup on a child every night, but its not ok to reuse a unsoiled one. They are the same thing. :confused:

That said if you are going a few nights in a row unsoiled. NYour child is almost trained. You don't need to use them anyway.

IMO 3 is very young to be worrying about it. But I'm no expert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

I'm just going to say what some others have said too. Tried & tested, worked for me.
    • Limiting drinks to a few hours before bed,
    • Go to the loo before bed
    • Wake them before you go to bed & bring them to the bathroom
    • If they've wet the bed between you going to bed & morning, I'd wake them a second time on other nights.
    This will stop the bed wetting!
    Those waterproof mattress covers are a lifesaver!

3 is considered quite young especially for boys. Fair play to you if you are going to lift him several times a night. It is really is hard work dealing with a wet bed every day and even with mattress protection, I dont think the beds are ever the same again. As an experienced parent, I dont think that a child wetting the bed is ready to go the whole night dry. You have to find the right solution for you, be it pull ups or endless washing or scrubbing mattresses. Some of the posters here may have medical qualifications but I wonder are they parents as well. Ask several professionals and I'm sure you will be told that 3 is young. Also, bed wetters are rarely welcome in other peoples houses. Op you seem to be getting there with it, in my own case my bedwetter turned out to be diabetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Rosie35

Dylan69 wrote: »
    I'm probably repeating this topic but i can't find an old thread of the subject.

My 3 year old child has been wearing night pull ups since 6 months ago but every morning when i take it off, its very heavy.

I wanted him not to wear one every night any more as he is growing up . We wanted him not to rely on it so we started 2 nights ago not to wear one. told him to go to the loo in the middle of night.We make sure he drinks fluid 2 hours before bed time.

But in the last 2 nights, he wet the bed easily. I know i have only started training him and i willing to keep going until he combats the problem

Try not to worry too much he is still young to be dry at night.My 5yr old daughter is only dry at nite about two months.I had to bring her to an enuresis clinic their advice was simple but effective.No fluids about 90mins before bedtime.Avoid all fizzy drinks and dilutable juices such as mi wadi or robinsons as they contain colourants that stimulate the bladder!! Instead drink milk water or pure fruit juices.Also very important is to get your little boy to use the loo twice before going to sleep maybe once before getting into bed and then again after his story just before he goes to sleep.Finally make a star chart and give him star every morning he is dry with a reward for every 10 stars.These simple things made such a difference for my daughter up until this she would have been wet every night but now she's very rarely wet.I hope these tips are of some help to you.Good luck:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭upthedub

Good thing to do is,give him his LAST drink approx 1 and half hours before bed and make sure bring him the toilet just before he go to bed.Keep this up and in a week or 2 he will be grand;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Rosie35

Try not to worry too much he is still young to be dry at night.My 5yr old daughter is only dry at nite about two months.I had to bring her to an enuresis clinic their advice was simple but effective.No fluids about 90mins before bedtime.Avoid all fizzy drinks and dilutable juices such as mi wadi or robinsons as they contain colourants that stimulate the bladder!! Instead drink milk water or pure fruit juices.Also very important is to get your little boy to use the loo twice before going to sleep maybe once before getting into bed and then again after his story just before he goes to sleep.Finally make a star chart and give him star every morning he is dry with a reward for every 10 stars.These simple things made such a difference for my daughter up until this she would have been wet every night but now she's very rarely wet.I hope these tips are of some help to you.Good luck:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Dylan69

Hey guys,

Appreciate the comments.

It's week 3 and its not too bad in the sense he still wetting the bed but it lesser.

Yes, we had tried the no drink 2 hour rule before and going to the loo b4 bedtime rountine. My little one gets very thristy easily and want to drink now and again. We have changed his fluid to milk to see if it had improve the situation but still the same result in the morning.

He does wake up 2-4am now and again and gets very upset for being wet.Poor fella. We have tried to reassure him that it's okay. There was one time he was dry throughout the night and he was very proud of that.:)

I suppose i just got to keep going!!!

just thought i'd post about my own experience growing up, i had a pretty bad problem with bed wetting but it was very hard to overcome particularly cos i was a very deep sleeper and i wouldn't even be aware that it was happening until i'd wake up in the morning. This went on for a very long time and then as a teenager it was once or twice a week and continued like this. But i found that when i started drinking and getting used to holding in your wee while waiting to go to the bathroom , that helped to strengthen my bladder and eventually the problem went away and never happened again for 15 years.
    So in some cases,it may be that the child has a weak bladder like i did and perhaps you could try and train them to hold in their wee until they really have to go, this will help the bladder to hold in the wee while they are asleep. I wish i had known this from an early age and would have saved my mother a lot of hassle. I realise this approach may not be suitable for most other children but as far as i can tell , the problem went away when my bladder got stronger from getting used to holding it in when drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭jmbkay

OP, would you consider getting the "thirst" checked out? A previous poster said that their bedwetter turned out be diabetic. Good luck, let us know.

Advertisement