Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Residential Parking Issue

Options
  • 31-07-2009 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭

Hi, not sure if this is the correct forum (apologies if not!) but I live on my own in a quiet cul-de-sac and my neighbour 3 doors up parks his car outside my house and leaves it there for days. It really annoys me even thought I know he's not breaking any laws, except maybe for the fact that he's half on, half off the pavement. He has equal amount of room outside his house as mine so I can't understand why he does it. I know I can politely let him know it's bothering me, incase that hasn't already occured to him (?) There are only 5 houses in this road and we all get along except for this household simply because they are foreign tenents and keep to themselves mostly. (Apart from the car issue). Do I have any recourse apart from simply putting up with it? It really depresses me to have to see this outside my window so much. It can be there for 3 or 4 days sometimes.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

I know how you feel because my neighbour does this aswell despite their being room outside his house.

Its pure ignorance but unfortunatly its the roadside so hes entitled to park there if he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Do you actually have a car and drive yourself?

If you do you could try to have a friendly word with the neighbour about it. But keep in mind that you have no more legal right to park there than he does.

If you don't have a car yourself, then tbh bringing it up is more than a little bit petty. I couldn't give 2 flying f**ks what cars are parked on the street outside my house, so if thats the situation I really don't get where you're coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

i know how you feel about this too i have neighbours that do the same thing when they have plenty of space outside their own house and a driveway to pull into.not much can be done really as he they have just as much right as anyone to park there.

we had a fella who would arrive up and park outside our house in the early hours of the morning mostly on a wednesday or thursday. he would take his bike off the back and cycle off to work or wherever and leave the car there until sunday. it really annoyed us as the guy didnt even live in the estate he was just using it as a park and ride!!!!there are alot of cars on our road most houses have two or three cars per house so the road gets quite congested at times with cars parked all over.

any way we got fed up with it eventually and stuck and annonymous note to the windscreen politly asking he refrain form parking here as he was not a resident on the road and that parking on the road was badly needed by the residents. hey presto he hasnt been back since and i have seen him parking his car now in the local shop car park instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭NilByMouth

theres bigger things in life to be worrying over tbh.He can park where he wants as can you.

Just dont spend your time looking out your window

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭HPT

It might be possible for you to park there first, assuming you have a car.

Whether you have a car or not, I can understand why it bugs you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Put a cone or similar out.

Alternativly let all the air out of his tyres every time he parks there.

Or simply ask him not to first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭cardol

Duckjob wrote: »
    Do you actually have a car and drive yourself?

If you do you could try to have a friendly word with the neighbour about it. But keep in mind that you have no more legal right to park there than he does.

If you don't have a car yourself, then tbh bringing it up is more than a little bit petty. I couldn't give 2 flying f**ks what cars are parked on the street outside my house, so if thats the situation I really don't get where you're coming from.

I don't understand why my having a car or not has anything to do with this. I do have a car and I park it in my driveway. But while there is room outside the other 3 houses on this road, he constantly chooses mine and I feel it's because I'm perceived as "female and helpless". My house is actually the furthest away from him so he's not doing this for convenience. And before the question is asked, I don't know him and have never had anything to do with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

OP, you haven't actually told us why it bothers you. You don't want to park there anyway, so he is not taking away the space from you.

You want to artificially restrict the number of parking spaces in your street, by insisting the one in front of your house might be empty.

You told us he is foreign. He might therefore have the same problem I have, in that I don't understand the obsession of the Irish people with the space in front of their house (this is not the first thread about this). Anyone can park there, you don't have any right to it. It might also be that he noticed your obsession and that it's bothering you so much and might do what I probably would do in his case and just park there on purpose, to annoy you.

It is absolutely none of your business, who parks on the street in front of your house (as long as he is parked legally). You should be happy that he parks there the way he does. You could have someone else parking there, who parks in a way that would make it difficult for you to get out of your driveway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭emty

The obvious solution here is to park your own car outside,no?

mdebets wrote: »
    OP, you haven't actually told us why it bothers you. You don't want to park there anyway, so he is not taking away the space from you.

You want to artificially restrict the number of parking spaces in your street, by insisting the one in front of your house might be empty.

You told us he is foreign. He might therefore have the same problem I have, in that I don't understand the obsession of the Irish people with the space in front of their house (this is not the first thread about this). Anyone can park there, you don't have any right to it. It might also be that he noticed your obsession and that it's bothering you so much and might do what I probably would do in his case and just park there on purpose, to annoy you.

It is absolutely none of your business, who parks on the street in front of your house (as long as he is parked legally). You should be happy that he parks there the way he does. You could have someone else parking there, who parks in a way that would make it difficult for you to get out of your driveway.

Mdebets:

It upsets me because he is doing this to me but not to anyone else. For your information, unless he is psychic, he will have no idea this is bothering me.

You are very quick to decide I am Irish, however, I moved here from UK eight months ago. I mentioned his foreignness merely in relation to the fact that he and his housemates keep to themselves. I did not generalise that as a foreigner he might not understand the "Irish obsession" and therefore do this "just to annoy me" as you pointed out.:mad:

Also, I do not want to "artificially restrict the number of parking spaces in my street", I simply voiced my feelings about the whole thing and wanted some advice / help on what I could do. If anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

cardol wrote: »

It upsets me because he is doing this to me but not to anyone else. For your information, unless he is psychic, he will have no idea this is bothering me.
    So you would be ok, if he would only park every 2nd day in front of your house and on the other days in front of your neigbhour's house.

So you would be ok, if he would only park every 2nd day in front of your house and on the other days in front of your neigbhour's house.
    It would be less frustrating for me, yes, if I could see that the other 4 houses were getting the same treatment as me. I wouldn't feel so helpless because I then could ask the other neighbours how they feel about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

It really annoys me even thought I know he's not breaking any laws, except maybe for the fact that he's half on, half off the pavement. He has equal amount of room outside his house as mine so I can't understand why he does it. I

If he is half on the pavement he is committing a criminal offence and he can be prosecuted. Make a complaint to the local garda. Take photographs and bring them with you to the garda station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

People park in places where they shouldn't park. They are pricks simple as. I have this problem. I used to have a safe parking spot until people decided to park outside my shutter effectively blocking me in. So I now park my car outside the shutter. Problem solved. People get the message when I leave notes on their windowscreen threatening to get their car towed. Works 100% of the time. You got to be firm and tough.

I have now gone to a website and printed material relating to abandoned vehicles. I have decided to leave it under this guy's wiper tomorrow morning. It loosely outlines what constitutes an abandoned vehicle and this car ticks three of the seven criteria. hopefully it will give him something to think about! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Is it a case you feel intimidated by the person only parking his car outside your place while there are spaces nearer to his place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

Why don't you simply park in front your house (not in the driveway) so that he has no space to park there himself & gets the suggestion?

It's the quickest way and you don't need to confront him.

Maybe he's parking there for a reason - a neighbour used to park in our space as his space was under a tree and obviously dealing with bird s**t on regular basis is not fun. Or maybe his bedroom window is at the back and he wants to see his car at night so parking in front of his house does not suit him (some people are so car theft obsessive). It might be a very innocent reason.

Just park there for a couple of days yourself, problem solved.

It's not that I feel intimidated as such, it's just that I think he knows I don't want to say anything. I have thought about parking in front of his house, but it's not that simple. He shares it with about 3 or 4 other guys and they are all friendly and nice - they wave and say hi. And he thing is, he's not there much, he just seems to leave his car there all the time but I rarely see him. His housemates have 1 car between them all and it's always in their driveway, I just don't understand why he has to park so far away from their house. Especially in this weather!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

Anyone can park there, you don't have any right to it. It might also be that he noticed your obsession and that it's bothering you so much and might do what I probably would do in his case and just park there on purpose, to annoy you.
    The OP's objection would bother you that much? If only we all had neighbours like you :rolleyes:

More likely if there's a space nearer his house, he's probably leaving it vacant on the off-chance that an acquaintance will need it. Or perhaps he simply doesn't like having a car outside his own house.

It's a public space that anyone is entitled to use. So as others have suggested, I'd leave leave your car in that space until he decides to break up his routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

It's not that I feel intimidated as such, it's just that I think he knows I don't want to say anything. I have thought about parking in front of his house, but it's not that simple. He shares it with about 3 or 4 other guys and they are all friendly and nice - they wave and say hi. And he thing is, he's not there much, he just seems to leave his car there all the time but I rarely see him. His housemates have 1 car between them all and it's always in their driveway, I just don't understand why he has to park so far away from their house. Especially in this weather!

I think you're reading too much into this.

1. He may have some reason and technically he can park there all he wants.
    2. There are no indications that he's doing it out of spite or to intimidate you.
    3. You have a very simple way to let him know he's unwelcome - park there yourself.

Why don't you talk to him if you prefer? Tell him you prefer him to park elsewhere as you need extra peace and quiet (for whatever reason). Or do you assume that being a foreigner he won't understand?

I'm sorry but this part:
    I have now gone to a website and printed material relating to abandoned vehicles. I have decided to leave it under this guy's wiper tomorrow morning. It loosely outlines what constitutes an abandoned vehicle and this car ticks three of the seven criteria. hopefully it will give him something to think about!

sounds borderline bunny boiler to me. Do you really want this to be your first contact if you've never talked to him and he has no way of knowing that his car is bothering you? And his car is not an abandoned vehicle.

It looks like you're blowing it out of proportion.

• Advertisement

herya wrote: »
    I think you're reading too much into this.

1. He may have some reason and technically he can park there all he wants.
    2. There are no indications that he's doing it out of spite or to intimidate you.
    3. You have a very simple way to let him know he's unwelcome - park there yourself.

Why don't you talk to him if you prefer? Tell him you prefer him to park elsewhere as you need extra peace and quiet (for whatever reason). Or do you assume that being a foreigner he won't understand?

I'm sorry but this part:

sounds borderline bunny boiler to me. Do you really want this to be your first contact if you've never talked to him and he has no way of knowing that his car is bothering you? And his car is not an abandoned vehicle.

It looks like you're blowing it out of proportion.

Yeah, maybe you're right, perhaps I should speak to him first and just say how I feel. Other neighbours park outside my house and it doesn't bother me because I know thay are doing it because they might have visitors or whatever and I know they only do it for a few hours or just overnight. It's just this car being left there for days then dissappearing completely until the next time. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Lots of people have suggested it and I will too :D, park there yourself, problem solved. I had a similar problem and this works.

Yippee! Problem solved. I saw him this morning and asked the question and he said he would move it and would use the space outside his friends place from now on. Whew! :)

Advertisement