Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flirting?

Options
  • 31-07-2009 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys got a question about meeting other gay guys and being able to tell if your flirting with them or not. Im 21 and was at the swimming pool the other day, I was in the sauna and started chatting to a guy who was about 16-17, he initialy made a remark about how nice the weather was but before I knew it I was having a full conversation with a good looking guy I had just met in a sauna :) after a few mins another guy came in and we talked a bit less. 2 or 3 mins later I said I was gona check out the steam room hoping he'd follow me and sure enough 2 mins later he came in. There was 2 girls there at the same time and when they were there we didnt say a word to each other but as soon as they left we started chatting away, after a few minutes I could no longer stand the steam (it was killing me) so I said i was going for a quick swim before I had to go home. Sure enough he arrived in the pool soon after and we were talking for a while in the deep end, i stayed 15 mins longer than I was supposed to and I eventually said I had to go and we shook hands and said goodbye. 2 mins later i was showering off and he walked by me on the way back to the sauna and said goodbye for a second time.

I have no idea if he was gay or just a friendly guy but I didnt know what to say to him to find out, also, the fact that he was pretty young was making me hesitant to say anything even if i did know what to say :( I had a feeling he was into me and I was into him and all the way home I was smileing I had met him but also disapointed that I didnt know what to do. Maybe we'll meet again sometime :)

Any tips on what to do in these situations? When do you know if their just being friendly or flirting and what do you say? I'm gay but never been with anyone and I only ever told 2 people so my experience is firmly non-existent :D

Also, is it even acceptable for a 16/17 year old guy to be with a 21 year old guy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

Next time you're chatting to him bring up/say something to hint that you gay if you're confident/comfortable enough - "I went to ____ bar last night, do you know it? You know, the gay one?" or something? Haha, I dunno. [Im tired]

Anyway, I suppose it's fine if he is 17, seeing as that is the legal age of consent.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

Yeah sounds like he was into you. You should've asked if he comes to the pool regularly and arranged to meet the following week for a swim, get to know him better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Perhaps he's looking to make friends? Continue chatting away with him a time will tell. You've said yourself that you have little experience, so it's possible you're reading signs that arn't there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Tight Jeans

Boston wrote: »
    Perhaps he's looking to make friends? Continue chatting away with him a time will tell. You've said yourself that you have little experience, so it's possible you're reading signs that arn't there.

Exactly do not push things as he maybe a friendly type of guy who may not know how to react if you made a move talk to him about sports and see what hobbies he has and you should be able to work him out then

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Dwn Wth Vwls

You could suggest adding each other on facebook/bebo or similar. Even if they don't use it, it shows you'd like to keep in contact somehow and should steer the conversation in that direction if they're interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

You could suggest adding each other on facebook/bebo or similar. Even if they don't use it, it shows you'd like to keep in contact somehow and should steer the conversation in that direction if they're interested.

Thats always a great one, worked for me in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Jafin

Try going back to the pool at the same time exactly a week later if you only go once a week. Likelihood is if he liked he'll do the same as that would be the most logical thing to do if you wanted to bump into someone by "accident".
    Oh and do let us know how it turns out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 CRonaldo

Update OP?

Advertisement