Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labradoodle, Pugalier...

Options
  • 31-07-2009 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

What other stupid names do we have for mongrel dogs?.

(I dread to think)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

My wife being a part time dog groomer, we come across heaps of designer dogs, especially with the status they have in the US. Schnoodle, Boggle, Chestie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭katiemaloe

cockerpoo...
    Whats a boggle cross.... boxer + ?
    and whats a chestie.... chesepeake bay retriever and a westie???

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

there is also a Puggle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭messygirl

malti poo (maltese and poodle)
    malti tzu (maltese and shih tzu)
    cava tzu (cavelier and shih tzu)
    labrador retriever (not the actual breed, just a golden retriever who got it on with a labrador)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

From Dumb and Dumber:
    One time, we successfully mated a bulldog with a Shítzu...

Really?

Yeah, we called it a Bull-Shít

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭leelee_m

recently i saw advertised on a certain site, Pekachi's, pekingese x chihuahua.
    Also saw Chiweenie's, Dachshund x chihuahua. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Think I copied this from a post on here a while ago:

Collie + Lhasa Apso
    Collapso, a dog that folds up for easy transport

Spitz + Chow Chow
    Spitz-Chow, a dog that throws up a lot

Pointer + Setter
    Poinsetter, a traditional Christmas pet

Malamute + Pointer
    Moot Point, owned by....oh, well, it doesn't matter anyway

Great Pyrenees + Dachshund
    Pyradachs, a puzzling breed

Pekingnese + Lhasa Apso
    Peekasso, an abstract dog

Irish Water Spaniel + English Springer Spaniel
    Irish Springer, a dog fresh and clean as a whistle

Labrador Retriever + Curly Coated Retriever
    Lab Coat Retriever, the choice of research scientists

Newfoundland + Basset Hound
    Newfound Asset Hound, a dog for financial advisors

Terrier + Bulldog
    Terribull, a dog that makes awful mistakes

Bloodhound + Labrador
    Blabador, a dog that barks incessantly

Collie + Malamute
    Commute, a dog that travels to work

Deerhound + Terrier
    Derriere, a dog that's true to the end

Bull Terrier + ****zu
    Bull..... Oh, never mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

katiemaloe wrote: »
    cockerpoo...
    Whats a boggle cross.... boxer + ?
    and whats a chestie.... chesepeake bay retriever and a westie???

Boggle is boxer+beagle or a smaller version would be Boston terrier+beagle
    Chestie is Chihuahua and the Westie. :/ *sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

OMG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I dispair, and to think people are paying good money for these mutts while the pounds are bursting at the seem's with dogs on death row!.

:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I dispair, and to think people are paying good money for these mutts while the pounds are bursting at the seem's with dogs on death row!.

Didn't your Staffie come from a breeder? The pounds are bursting with them and if rumours are to be believed, they are put down a lot faster than other breeds.

"Should have gone to the pound" applies to purebreds too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

My middle pooch is a Phlarmpidarm (pronounced with an 'F') made it up..figured if other people can have silly names so can we. She was a rescue, she's a very mixed breed and she's priceless.

arwencuteinharness.jpg

Pure breds have been around for yonks (have two) it's these newfangled made up names people are coming up with thinking that adding a funny name will increase profits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

My guy is a Collier - he's (most likely) Collie x Terrier and he's mostly black, so that's his designer breed name! He's not a fashion accessory though, as like all truly stylish items he's timeless!

Magenta wrote: »
    Didn't your Staffie come from a breeder? The pounds are bursting with them and if rumours are to be believed, they are put down a lot faster than other breeds.

"Should have gone to the pound" applies to purebreds too.

Which one are you talking about?.

So far as I know neither was an immaculate conception :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I prefer goldendoodles :D

Which one are you talking about?.

So far as I know neither was an immaculate conception :p

Don't know which one but I recall a post where you said you bought one of your Staffies as a pup, from a breeder. In which case, it's a little hypocritical for you to be complaining about people buying puppies from breeders.

Magenta wrote: »
    Don't know which one but I recall a post where you said you bought one of your Staffies as a pup, from a breeder. In which case, it's a little hypocritical for you to be complaining about people buying puppies from breeders.

Search again my Megentic friend, oh and I ain't complaining about people buying from breeders.

search.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Staffador. :) (pic is 5 mts old)

How is the lad getting along now Helena?.

I think the last time you'd have seen Ruby's photos she was a little girlie puppy in a pink hoodie running around Portmarnock beach, well I've thrown up some new photos of her in the Pets pix thread - she's all grown up now (but still a playfull puppy at heart).

She's gotten very "adult" looking hasn't she. She's beautiful. Very big too. How much does she weigh? Does she still make you carry her if she gets tired walking?

I hope you got her a new coat. That was the cutest thing. (and for the poor frosty staffys a good idea)

Not a bother on Harley, he's getting very big too. 24kg on last weigh and according to the vet "more to go". We are going into training soon to climb lug. Something tells me that I'm the one going to have a problem with it, not the dog. Must get a few recent pics.

• Advertisement

Yup, she'll often stop way up the beach and cry to be carried - I've no idea how much she weighs now but she's pretty damned solid.

Best of luck with the Lug, I've been up and over it a few times (but normally carrying rifle, ammo and full CEMO (Combat Equipment Marching Order - very heavy!).

24kgs at such a young age!.. Thats the Lab in him I take it?.

Get the photos up!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

"a cavishon - a cross between a cavalier and a bichon"

Ive yet to meet someone who just says a cavishon, its always "a cavishon - a cross between a cavalier and a bichon" :pac: for some reason.

another one - weeshon - bichon/westie x. I think people feel silly saying it though, most just end up saying westie x :)

I ain't complaining about people buying from breeders.

Maybe you have a short memory...

And since you don't seem to want to admit it here...
    you could meet my two lads anytime you wish, one is a rescue, one came from a friend who's a breeder
    My other Staff, 'Ruby' came from a breed who's a breeder
    my latest came from a mate who's a breeder of Staffie, Pits and Lurchers

So yeah, I don't see why people complain about others buying crossbreeds from breeders and saying "oh if you want a mongrel go to the pound". The pounds often have purebreds too but people still get them from breeders. I saw some of your posts about rescuing your first dog and was really touched by them, so it was disappointing to see that you chose not to do the same for your second dog. I'm sure I'll just get a smart comment :rolleyes: but oh well.

And for the record, I think Puggles are really, really cute! Not so keen on Pugaliers though, Pugs and Cavaliers are both so overbred, with so many health problems.

And this was turning into such a nice thread too.....:rolleyes:

What about a Bitsa? ;)

cockapoo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Met a couple on the beach in Bray with a gorgeous little thing, wasn't sure what it was, I assume part terrier, turns out it was a Westie / ShihTzu(or maltease..) cross. Weird anyway, gorgeous, but just didn't really look like either! lol.

And this was turning into such a nice thread too.....:rolleyes:

Nah, you know me. I'm too long in the tooth to be getting involved with 'net drama, I see these people come and on through here with hardly a flicker on my radar.
    star-pants wrote: »
    Met a couple on the beach in Bray with a gorgeous little thing, wasn't sure what it was, I assume part terrier, turns out it was a Westie / ShihTzu(or maltease..) cross. Weird anyway, gorgeous, but just didn't really look like either! lol.

I think the nicest one I've met so far has been a Labradoodle at an Irish Guide Dogs seminar, I wanted one straight away!. Absolutely beautiful dog.

But my heart goes to the Bullies everytime - except that I've promised someday I'm going to get a GSD or a Rottie, I've already got its name picked - Bismerck!.

But my heart goes to the Bullies everytime - except that I've promised someday I'm going to get a GSD or a Rottie, I've already got its name picked - Bismerck!.

Why not a cross? It can be the new designer breed of Gershepweiler. :pac:

EDIT: Deleted the last name suggestion as it sounded too much like a term used to insult, totally unintended, but sure no point annoying people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭SunnyP

A friend of a friend recently asked could he breed my male boxer with his rothweiler (more than likely spelt wrong) He said it was a new breed that is getting popular called boxweilers!!

God be with the days when a mongrel was a "Heinz 57".. Because it had "57 varities in it", and we didn't care for fancy names.

Anyone old enough to remember that!.

They were also the best dog to have, they seemed to live forever and were always 'everyones' dog because they were free to roam free and made friends with everyone.

Our first dog Cindy was like that, when it took her fancy she'd wonder off and come back sometime late evening for dinner and her bed. She lived for 17 long & mostly happy years.

• Advertisement

Nah, you know me. I'm too long in the tooth to be getting involved with 'net drama, I see these people come and on through here with hardly a flicker on my radar.

There wasn't any drama from me, I was only raising a point- and a valid one- but if you want to take an opportunity to be the big hard man :rolleyes:, be my guest. It makes a change from your previous responses which were the online equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and singing. :rolleyes:

Back on topic- the whole dog industry in Ireland in general saddens me. There's a new-money mentality where people have to have the latest new thing and it must be brand new, i.e. an 8 week old puppy (book your new 2010 reg now!). It used to be that dogs like huskies were seen as unusual, now they are common as muck we have wolf hybrids and in the past couple of years, "designer" dog breeds. There is the argument that all breeds came from crosses somewhere, but at the moment there's about 4585849 "designer hybrids"- how many of these are going to become official breeds? Most of them aren't being bred for a specific purpose or trait. At most, they are bred to be small, cute, possibly low/non shedding, and have that famous "hybrid vigour" (which, by a lot of breeders, is effortlessly achieved by breeding inbred, non health tested parents!).

The puppy farms must be rubbing their hands with glee. They don't even have to match the parent dog's breeds anymore so that the puppy will be (or could pass for) a purebred. Just breed any two and give the offspring a fancy name!

Advertisement