Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with Dell laptop

Options
  • 31-07-2009 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

I have a Dell laptop which i bought back in october 2008 from the dell website. Recently been having trouble with it and have been onto their technical support twice now to have the problem resolved which has not happened.
    The warranty is still valid for another 75 days but as they suspect that the problem is software related, which is not covered by the warranty i had to pay them 89e for it to be resolved. I was told that this fee would be refunded if the problem was not resolved but that they guarenteed that it would be. I was also told that when the problem was resolved that it came with a 3 day warranty, its been 1 day now and im back onto them about the same problem.

I guess what i want to find out is if after today the problem appears resoled but it starts again in 3 days time where do i stand? am i entitled to ask for a replacement,repair,refund?
    If the laptop has to be sent back am I liable for the postage costs etc?

sorry for the long post and if im in the wrong spot apologies for that too!

any advice appreciated:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

What's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

The screen keeps freezing, can move the cursor but cannot close programs or click on anything. End up having to press and hold the power button to switch off.Still waiting on them to call me back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Spudzz

The screen keeps freezing, can move the cursor but cannot close programs or click on anything. End up having to press and hold the power button to switch off.Still waiting on them to call me back.

Sounds like a registry problem.
    Try system restore.

agreed. Restore the operating system. If the problem is still there afterwards them it's a hardware issue and you're entitled to a repair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

op check the event log for disk errors

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies.

Dell got back to me said it was a software problem and had me wipe and reinstall everything from the computer. This seemed to work fine for a few hours then all of a sudden the machine started jumping to a blue error screen and kept restarting, now it just wont come on at all!!!!!!

Bit frustrated now as I have paid the 89e for a supposed guaranteed resolution or money back, which had a three day warranty. now they are closed for the weekend so will I be entitled to that 89e back plus the repair if they cannot figure out whats wrong.

Blue screen of death could be bad memory. Write down the error code next time it happens and throw it into google. May give you some idea of what's wrong.

Thanks but everytime it happens it restarts to quickly I dont get a chance to read what it actually says. I get about half way across the top line which says something along the lines of your computer has been shut down to prevent any damage........... It wont start up now at all!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

OP I had this happen to me recently and I've just had it resolved under Dell warranty the other day, had a replacement hard drive sent out as the HDD was corrupt.

Whats the latest? Is it starting up yet?

Still not starting up i get as far as entering my user password but after that it just goes to a black screen with a white cursor arrow but it stops there and I end up having to use the power button to switch off. I emailed Dell again today to report an unresolved issue so hoping they get back to me. Will update when I find out hopefully they will sort something out!!

• Advertisement

just thought id update!
    was onto dell again yesterday and they ran more diagnostic tests and discovered that the hard drive is bunched so they are sending out a new one and a technician to fit it but thing is i have to pay 34e for the technician as i wouldnt be confident enough to be messing about with it myself and apparently the cost of the technician is not covered by the warranty.

funkyflea- you said this happened to you recently was it the same story with you did you have to pay for a technician to repair?

also id appreciate it if anyone could advise on this too.

i paid 89e the first time i rang dell as they thought the problem was software related and software is not covered by the warranty. i was told that if they could not resolve the problem then i would be refunded my 89e. does anyone else reckon i would be entitled to the money back as it was a hardware problem that was causing the problems in the first place and had they done the proper tests the first time i rang i would have been spared all the hassle over the last week. I must have been on the phone in hold for half an hour each time i rang which was about 4 or 5 times over the week!!!!

sorry for the long post but im really just getting pi$$ed off with it all now at this stage im still waiting on someone to get back to me today as agreed with them yesterday.:mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

just thought id update!
    was onto dell again yesterday and they ran more diagnostic tests and discovered that the hard drive is bunched so they are sending out a new one and a technician to fit it but thing is i have to pay 34e for the technician as i wouldnt be confident enough to be messing about with it myself and apparently the cost of the technician is not covered by the warranty.

funkyflea- you said this happened to you recently was it the same story with you did you have to pay for a technician to repair?

also id appreciate it if anyone could advise on this too.

i paid 89e the first time i rang dell as they thought the problem was software related and software is not covered by the warranty. i was told that if they could not resolve the problem then i would be refunded my 89e. does anyone else reckon i would be entitled to the money back as it was a hardware problem that was causing the problems in the first place and had they done the proper tests the first time i rang i would have been spared all the hassle over the last week. I must have been on the phone in hold for half an hour each time i rang which was about 4 or 5 times over the week!!!!

sorry for the long post but im really just getting pi$$ed off with it all now at this stage im still waiting on someone to get back to me today as agreed with them yesterday.:mad::mad::mad:

What sort of crap warranty do you have with Dell?

Things must have changed since I last dealt with them as I've never had to pay anything extra for a machine in warranty although I wouldn't have bothered them over a software issue.

So its a hardware issue they didn't troubleshoot correctly and you should get your money back. Never wait for Dell to get back to you always phone them and keep at it (its what the speaker function was made for), should be a local rate number unless they have changed that as well?

Checking for problems on the HDD should be a std support test, in most Dell systems as supplied the test is built in to the machine so its only a matter of asking you to reboot press a couple of buttons then click on a couple of things to run the test, not withstanding that Windows has a HDD test built in, hope they also tested the memory.

So just had a call from dell. They are sending out a technician on friday with all hardware parts required to fix the machine and they have refunded my 89e.

When i asked why i had to pay for the technician they said that only parts are covered by the warranty and that "labour" and software are not covered.

I had to bother them with software problems as I am not a very computer literate person and besides thats what their support centre is there for!!!

It does seem to be that the first technician I spoke too did not bother to run all the appropriate tests when I first rang and he just sent my call on to software who in fairness tried their best to sort it out. When I had to call again yesterday I was put through too the hardware department and the guy I spoke too ran far more tests than the first time and so the real problem was eventually discovered. I am getting a new hard drive on friday!!!!!

When i asked why i had to pay for the technician they said that only parts are covered by the warranty and that "labour" and software are not covered.

This is total bullsh*t! It is okay for them to charge you for sending someone out, but it is NOT okay for them to charge you for labour for actually fixing the computer as that is their responsibility! See if you can bring it to them or something like that.

Imagine bringing a broken vacuum cleaner back to a shop after nine months and them saying we can fix it but you'll have to pay us €35 to do it?!?!

That sounds better but I'd want to know what happens if the Motherboard needs replacing? Hardly a job they could expect you to do yet I can't see how they could charge you to fix it.

I think the charge for the HDD is only really because you are afraid to take out 5 screws an adaptor and replace them, but you could argue that you didn't have the correct tools (one small crosshead scewdriver) and why would you be expected to have them just because you bought a Dell laptop, therefore they should send out a technician to change it for free. Its a couple of years since they sent anyone out to me and when they did I was appalled at the skill level of the agent sent - but lets not go there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

eightyfish wrote: »
    This is total bullsh*t! It is okay for them to charge you for sending someone out, but it is NOT okay for them to charge you for labour for actually fixing the computer as that is their responsibility! See if you can bring it to them or something like that.

Imagine bringing a broken vacuum cleaner back to a shop after nine months and them saying we can fix it but you'll have to pay us €35 to do it?!?!
    But that's the point; if the OP wanted it for free they should have asked to have the laptop picked up and sent in to Dell and not have someone come to him to fix it.

Using your vacuum cleaner example it would rather be like asking the store to come to your home to fix it and then they charged you 35 EUR but if you brought it in yourself it would have been free.

Nody wrote: »
    Using your vacuum cleaner example it would rather be like asking the store to come to your home to fix it and then they charged you 35 EUR but if you brought it in yourself it would have been free.

True, but that's what I said. "It is okay for them to charge you for sending someone out, but it is NOT okay for them to charge you for labour" This is the problem with buying something from somewhere that doesn't have a store you can walk into. In fact, even on-line stores like dabs.ie will pick it up and fix it and drop it back for free.

So - I guess we need to know did they offer to pick it up for free and did you actually choose to have someone sent out, OP?

eightyfish wrote: »

I'd tend to agree but I was trying to make the point that changing a motherboard would be Dells problem to get fixed, but for a "simple" HDD swap Dell would expect the user to take out one screw and pull out the drive caddy remove the 4 screws holding the drive in the caddy remove the drive then pull the adaptor off the back of the HDD and then put it all back again.

ttm wrote: »
    I'd tend to agree but I was trying to make the point that changing a motherboard would be Dells problem to get fixed, but for a "simple" HDD swap Dell would expect the user to take out one screw and pull out the drive caddy remove the 4 screws holding the drive in the caddy remove the drive then pull the adaptor off the back of the HDD and then put it all back again.

Yep - changing a HD is simple enough. If it was already pre-loaded with the OS and it could just be swapped. They could send it out with an instruction sheet too. So good point.

I wonder if sending someone out was their first-choice decision.

Been reading some of the replies since my last post so thought id post again to clarify some things.

I did not ask I was told that they would send a technician out to my house to fit a new hard drive. I was then told it would cost me 34e for the technician to do this. When I asked could I not send the lap top to them to fix it as it is only 9 months old and still very much in warranty I was told that sending the laptop would be impossible and that if I did not want to pay the technician I could fit the parts myself wit the help of a support staff member over the phone.
    I refused this option as 1) While it may be a "simple" procedure to replace a hard drive for some people I do not have a clue about computers and how they work all I know are the basics of how to use the bloody things and even with the help of the support staff over the phone I could and possibly would make a mess of it altogether and 2) I was aware that if I start taking bits and pieces off and start fiddling about with the hardware my warranty becomes invalid.

• Advertisement

I did not want to pay the technician I could fit the parts myself wit the help of a support staff member over the phone.
    [...] I was aware that if I start taking bits and pieces off and start fiddling about with the hardware my warranty becomes invalid.

While I think that you should have been able to send the laptop to them, as you can do with the better on-line stores, as a second option this isn't bad.

To replace a hard drive, you don't hactually have to open the laptop up and start "fiddling about" with parts. There's a little compartment with a cover - usually held closed with a couple of screws. You unscrew these, and this gives you access only to the hard drive compartment. Then you simply unplug the drive that's in the laptop and plug the new one in it's place. (You may have to work on a couple of screws on the hd itself to attach a stabilising frame so it's secure in he laptop.) It only involves a few screws. And replacing a hard drive, especially while being directed by tech support over the phone, will not invalidate your warranty.

Haphazard customer service on Dell's part though. Again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

Hi there guys sitting here with my dell inspiron 1720 and guess what when I load it from windows vista it freezes just like the original poster, I to got it in oct 2008 I have to start it up from safe mode with networks then it works ok but I got no sound and there is alot I cant do, so now i see it is going to be the same problem for me I have 5yrs ins cover on it but I can just see all the hassel lining up in front of me, I was on another thread a few minutes ago some guy recomending dell to a student looking for a new laptop for college

fintonie wrote: »
    I was on another thread a few minutes ago some guy recomending dell to a student looking for a new laptop for college

General Guide to Computers:
    1. Never Buy Dell
    2. See Rule 1.

:rolleyes:

In fairness to the guys on the phone that I was speaking to they did do everything they could to help me out as i said ive no clue about computers!!

as regards the warranty the guy I was talking to did confirm that if i do the repairs myself the warranty will be invalid as i am not trained to do these repairs regardless of them talking me through it over the phone.

I have tried to talk it out with them as regards paying the 34e but its just one of those things and I did get back the 89e i had initially paid for the suspect software problem. so i guess i will just have to see what happens when the technician comes out on friday. if its still not sorted ill be looking for a new machine or a refund!!!

as regards the warranty the guy I was talking to did confirm that if i do the repairs myself the warranty will be invalid as i am not trained to do these repairs regardless of them talking me through it over the phone.

I stand corrected.

So you have to pay €34 or your warranty is invalid.

Nice.

yep!!it doesn't make sense to me either!

eightyfish here is a guy who dont agree with you

Student laptop. Help with decision please. (multipage.gif1 2 3)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Been reading some of the replies since my last post so thought id post again to clarify some things.

I did not ask I was told that they would send a technician out to my house to fit a new hard drive. I was then told it would cost me 34e for the technician to do this. When I asked could I not send the lap top to them to fix it as it is only 9 months old and still very much in warranty I was told that sending the laptop would be impossible and that if I did not want to pay the technician I could fit the parts myself wit the help of a support staff member over the phone.
    I refused this option as 1) While it may be a "simple" procedure to replace a hard drive for some people I do not have a clue about computers and how they work all I know are the basics of how to use the bloody things and even with the help of the support staff over the phone I could and possibly would make a mess of it altogether and 2) I was aware that if I start taking bits and pieces off and start fiddling about with the hardware my warranty becomes invalid.

They gave you bad advice here.
    If you just have Dell's basic warranty, this is a Collect & Return service. Dell are obliged to send a courier (at their expense) to collect the laptop. The laptop will be sent to Getronics in Dublin who look after Dell repairs. They should fix it, test it and return it to you via courier free of charge.
    Dell's support agents will often try and get you to upgrade your warranty to an on-site next day visit for a fee, but you are under no obligation to choose this option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

fintonie wrote: »
    Hi there guys sitting here with my dell inspiron 1720 and guess what when I load it from windows vista it freezes just like the original poster, I to got it in oct 2008 I have to start it up from safe mode with networks then it works ok but I got no sound and there is alot I cant do, so now i see it is going to be the same problem for me I have 5yrs ins cover on it but I can just see all the hassel lining up in front of me, I was on another thread a few minutes ago some guy recomending dell to a student looking for a new laptop for college

Apologies mods - this reply is probably more suited to the laptop forum...
    I have been in the same situation as this poster and may be able to save him some time...

Before calling Dell (you will be a long time on the phone with them), try the following:
    Open the Dell Support Centre application, run the system diagnostics and see if anything shows up.
    If nothing shows up, click Drivers & Downloads, and download and install the latest drivers for your system.

If that doesn't fix the issue, download the user manual for your 1720 here:
    http://www.support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1720/en/index.htm

Go to the Troubleshooting chapter, and then to the section on Restoring your Operating System.

Backup all your important data & files to external media, and try the following:
    Try and Restore the computer to an earlier operating state, using the instructions in the manual. Choose a date to restore to, when you know the laptop was working correctly.
    If this doesn't work, then you will have to restore the computer to the factory default configuration using the instructions in the manual. Note that this will wipe everything so make sure you backup your files. You will not need any Microsoft CD's for this - it will load it from a seperate partition on your HDD.

These steps may sound a bit drastic, but I've had the same issue on 2 seperate Inspirons, and before they will accept your laptop back for a potential hardware issue, they will ask you to take these steps to ensure that the issue is not software related.

• Advertisement

dilallio wrote: »
    Apologies mods - this reply is probably more suited to the laptop forum...
    I have been in the same situation as this poster and may be able to save him some time...

Before calling Dell (you will be a long time on the phone with them), try the following:
    Open the Dell Support Centre application, run the system diagnostics and see if anything shows up.
    If nothing shows up, click Drivers & Downloads, and download and install the latest drivers for your system.

If that doesn't fix the issue, download the user manual for your 1720 here:
    http://www.support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1720/en/index.htm

Go to the Troubleshooting chapter, and then to the section on Restoring your Operating System.

Backup all your important data & files to external media, and try the following:
    Try and Restore the computer to an earlier operating state, using the instructions in the manual. Choose a date to restore to, when you know the laptop was working correctly.
    If this doesn't work, then you will have to restore the computer to the factory default configuration using the instructions in the manual. Note that this will wipe everything so make sure you backup your files. You will not need any Microsoft CD's for this - it will load it from a seperate partition on your HDD.

These steps may sound a bit drastic, but I've had the same issue on 2 seperate Inspirons, and before they will accept your laptop back for a potential hardware issue, they will ask you to take these steps to ensure that the issue is not software related.

thank you for that kind sir, on the restore issue I went to try this but it just said no dates available but I had 4 restore points so Im not sure why this is.

Advertisement