Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublins 98 repeating their music

• 31-07-2009 3:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else found that in the last few years 98fm has been repeating their music all the time? It's gotten to the stage where I hear the same bloody songs now 10+ times a week. They used to be brilliant for playing different types, a mix of 80s, 90s and new music but now all I hear are repeats. One of the reasons I switched to them was because they rarely used to do this!

I enjoy the Morning Crew still but I feel disgusted, betrayed almost, that they have resorted to continuous repeating. They must be getting "benefits" from the music producers to play their songs more often, that's the only thing I can think of. I've been listening to the station since Jim and Deb and the morning crew but I can't stand the way it has become. I'm listening more and more to different stations.

Anyone agree?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭squonk

I don't know. I stopped listening to them a while ago. The reason I stoped listening then was that they seemed to have edited all their music to pull out anything extraeneous whatsover. I'm talking about guitar solos, extra choruses etc. I could never put my finger on it but (being a music head) for ages everytime I listened to them there was just something wrong and i ended up going 'Hey, where did that bit go?'. At that point it felt more like a promo channel than a radio station I thought. Maybe they've changed that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 buzzbomb

squonk wrote: »
    I don't know. I stopped listening to them a while ago. The reason I stoped listening then was that they seemed to have edited all their music to pull out anything extraeneous whatsover. I'm talking about guitar solos, extra choruses etc. I could never put my finger on it but (being a music head) for ages everytime I listened to them there was just something wrong and i ended up going 'Hey, where did that bit go?'. At that point it felt more like a promo channel than a radio station I thought. Maybe they've changed that.

They are still doing it, I actually caught them at it today - some songs had the entire beginning cut off them!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

FM104 is the only tolerable Dublin station to listen to for 2 hours imo. They mix it a little between some classics from the past and the obligatory 'hits' of today. Not great but better than the competition. 98fm has improved but has stopped playing any vareity I find. Spin is Spin...

2 hours of Fm104 is quite enough for me though before I switch to NT or R1.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭malcolmplex

As someone who is forced to listen to this station at work every day i can agree with ya.if brian lenihan taxed 98fm every time they played snow patrol the govmt would be rollin in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

They have an iPod set up with 500 songs on it and they just press shuffle and you are being tortured with the result!

• Advertisement

500?ur being kind sizzler.i heard snow patrol 3 times in 4 hours on sat morning no joke.i assume they fall under the category of irish music which all stations are obliged to play.even though they,re scottish:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭DO'Carlo/Wex

Aren't 98FM (why did they re-brand it as 98 only? The promo went you've got to smile? Not when listening to them gimps!) & FM-104 both owned by Denis O'Brien?
    I use-dta have to listen to them both where I worked when the workforce was primarily Dublin & it seemed even over the last decade that the 10-tracks on shuffle or a loop seemed obligatory on BOTH.
    I quickly got myself one of those Roberts 999-4 Radios & cottoned on to listen to infinitely better radio be it chat or music.
    Think 98-Fm & Fm-104 are the LCD, knuckle-dragging neanderthals of radio stations.
    Haven't had much experience of Spin 103.8. But seems to be same thing. Are they the same Spin South-West & have they other stations around the country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

FM-104 both owned by Denis O'Brien?

FM104 is owned by UTV Media. It was temporarily owned by D O'B until he sold it off (he was never going to be allowed own it).

Gary Lightbody is the lead singer of Snow Patrol. The man is from Bangor which, the last time I checked, was on the island of Ireland. 98 are well within their right to class it as Irish, along with every other radio station. If you don't understand the BCI's own criteria for 'Irish music' then you should read up on it, stations are only following the rules they've been given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

500?ur being kind sizzler.i heard snow patrol 3 times in 4 hours on sat morning no joke.i assume they fall under the category of irish music which all stations are obliged to play.even though they,re scottish:)

They're from Bangor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

orourkeda wrote: »
    They're from Bangor

They're from Dundee... one member is from Bangor and others from other parts of the North which is more than enough to count. "Irish music" is so tenous that it was once reported that one of the stations was classing Dido was Irish due to her dad being an Irish expat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

Elessar wrote: »
    Has...?

Yes.Yes.Yes.Kaiser Chiefs.Yes. Killers.Yes.Take That.Yes.MGMT.Yes. Lilly Allen.Yes. Kaiser Chiefs,Yes, Killers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭paddy978

Just listen to the Morning Crew.The amount of breaks for songs and ads is annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

MYOB wrote: »
    "Irish music" is so tenous that it was once reported that one of the stations was classing Dido was Irish due to her dad being an Irish expat.

Not one, many. And they're the rules the BCI gave the stations.

orourkeda wrote: »
    They're from Bangor
    Exactly theyre scottish:)note the smile..

Advertisement