Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

for the nikkor users-push pull lens!!

• 31-07-2009 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

has anyone ever used a push pull 80-200 2.8 lens before.

im in the market for a fast lens and see that this lens is within budget but as i have never used a push pull lens before i wonder how awkward/ difficult it is to use?

also what is the quality of the image like from such a lens?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

The push pull 80-200 f/2.8s are the older AF and AF-D models. They're optically identical as far as I know to the current AF-D model (which has the normal two rings for zoom and focus) but different to the various AFS models (are there three now ?).

So image quality will be good, there's no tripod collar on those two lenses though, and the AF speed is not meant to be great. The current AF-D version has a tripod collar and fast AF (reputedly almost as good as the AFS equivalents).

How much are you paying for it is probably the question. The reason I'm harping on about the new AFD model is that you can still get it reasonably cheaply new if you hunt around, so if you're paying too much for the older version it might be worth your while to shell out the extra for the newer one.

-edit-
    http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/AFNikkor/AF-Nikkor80200mm/index.htm

There's a good reference from the ever indispensable mir.com on the various 80-200 models

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Mmmmm.......would love to get me grubby hands on a fast lens like that ! damn you have me eBaying again ! :D
    I do have an old Nikon 135mm 3.5 (thats 270mm 3.5 on my Olympus),
    http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/preAI70/135mm1.htm
    and its the best lens I have, ie. the images are so sharp that they need no processing (sharpening wise).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Mmmmm.......would love to get me grubby hands on a fast lens like that ! damn you have me eBaying again ! :D
    I do have an old Nikon 135mm 3.5 (thats 270mm 3.5 on my Olympus),
    http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/preAI70/135mm1.htm
    and its the best lens I have, ie. the images are so sharp that they need no processing (sharpening wise).

I've got its stable mate, the 135 2.8 AIS. Lovely lens, built in lens hood and all :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I've got its stable mate, the 135 2.8 AIS
    Nice :cool:
    Do you have anything 'bigger' per chance, say 180mm or 200mm or surely not 300mm ?

I did try 2 soccer matches with the 135mm and the results weren't too bad ! as using the manual focus is a bitch, but it does make you think, ie. you have to work alot harder to get decent results !

/Mad idea (maybe for a seperate thread, or assignment)
    Actually, that gives me an idea, why don't the sports photographers (here on boards.ie) go to a match/event & only use manual focus and be restricted to only taking say 50 photos, then take your best 3 and we'll have a competition !
    /end Mad idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

conair01 wrote: »
    has anyone ever used a push pull 80-200 2.8 lens before.

im in the market for a fast lens and see that this lens is within budget but as i have never used a push pull lens before i wonder how awkward/ difficult it is to use?

also what is the quality of the image like from such a lens?

I got a Nikon 80-200mm f2.8 AF push pull lens this week. I thought that the push-pull would be difficult to master...but it's actually just as intuitive as the rotating zoom imho. Lens creep may be an issue however. Autofocus is supposed to be slower than the later AF-D model, but it seemed fast enough to me on my D300. Here are a couple of shots I've taken with it...

E3D1B9FB311649BAB698B4D1E12F9921-800.jpg

A7B3ED428A904A18AB8D43B2DEF7F5DB-800.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement