Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing gas fire with solid fuel fire

Options
  • 31-07-2009 3:56pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭

In my house nearly 2 years and the one thing I miss from home is not having a real fire. Obviously, this will be a job for trained professionals but has anyone made the switch? Are my mad to be even condsidering changing over?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

pretty thin on details of house but my quess is that the flue is suitable for gas only,
    best bet is to get someone who sells/installs SFF's out to have a look.

Get ready for the barrage of 'sure u can line it with a SS liner' suggestions.

My vote is don't go there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭valarie001

we switched the best thing we ever did, nothing like the solid fuel:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

valarie001 wrote: »
    we switched the best thing we ever did, nothing like the solid fuel:D

Perhaps since thus-far u just have 10 contributions to b.ie, the inherent smugness in the above contribution, coupled with a complete absence of any useful reference pointers for the OP might be forgiven.

IMO unless you can add some thing that is helpful to the OP's question leave it at 10

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

If you have a chimney and it is lined with clay liners which is most probably is, than you can have a solid fuel fire. Many people now are taking out gas fires to have a real fire. It is an inexpensive change over.

excuse me carlow i was simply answering the question!! and if keano wanted to know more i would have said, god this is not a friendly place to be at all, is there an order here, that you cant answer a question unless your qualified:mad: i will keep away from the green smiley if it bothers u then!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Carlow52 wrote: »
    Perhaps since thus-far u just have 10 contributions to b.ie, the inherent smugness in the above contribution, coupled with a complete absence of any useful reference pointers for the OP might be forgiven.

IMO unless you can add some thing that is helpful to the OP's question leave it at 10
    We are all entitled to opinions, I don't think there is a need for such a harsh statement.
    valarie001 wrote: »
    excuse me carlow i was simply answering the question!! and if keano wanted to know more i would have said, god this is not a friendly place to be at all, is there an order here, that you cant answer a question unless your qualified:mad: i will keep away from the green smiley if it bothers u then!
    There is no problem with your contribution Valarie, feel free to add to it as you like :).

delly wrote: »
    We are all entitled to opinions, I don't think there is a need for such a harsh statement.

There is no problem with your contribution Valarie, feel free to add to it as you like :).

thanks delly:D

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭nick 56

The questions I would ask if asked to fit a solid fuel fire fire in place of a gas one is
    How old is your house
    Was the fire place ever used for solid fuel in its past, in other words is there a chimney and if there is does it have a viable chimney pot.
    It is VERY important to get gas fires regularly checked so that would be your chance to check the above. If nothing else ask your gas fitter to inform you of the above.
    When the fire is out (as part of its service) the flue is checked. Be there and look to the void behind it, small amount of old soot – good. Old bricks rubble, lumps of old cement / flue lining bad.
    When you have done the above get back to us and we can advise you further.
    I would add that if the chimney is ok it is a messy but not imposable DIY job

Advertisement