Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

transfering money to Oz?

Options
  • 31-07-2009 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

I am wondering does anyone know what is the best and cheapest way to transfer a large amount of money from a bank account in Ireland to Australia bank account, about 20k is the figure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭argolis

http://www.currency.ie/

are pretty good and I believe don't charge commission for your first transfer. No affiliation, have used them several times for transferring to the UK & US.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

I use ozforex.com.au myself.

again no commission on transfers over 4 or 5 grand.

you set up your account.
    they send a letter out to you (confirming address etc) and an activation code. and away you go.

you need to check with your bank though what you need to do from their side so as to be able to transfer money.

with ozforex you transfer your money to their protected a/c in paris (barclays bank I think) and from their to you a/c in aus.

when I came back this time to aus I bought my money weeks in advance and let it sit in paris till I had my a/c open in aus. you can also buy when you want and they transfer there and then (takes 3/4 working days to hit your a/c in Aus.

when you buy (transfer money) you simply logon (or phone) them and say you want to buy. if you do it online they ring you within ten minutes to confirm it. once confirmed you them transfer the money to the intermediatery a/c i.e paris a/c

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

? I didn't have that experience with Oz Forex. When I tried to set up an account, the letter they sent to confirm address requested a number of forms of ID - photocopy of passport I believe, plus utility bill and so on. All got too hard so I just never took it any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

? I didn't have that experience with Oz Forex. When I tried to set up an account, the letter they sent to confirm address requested a number of forms of ID - photocopy of passport I believe, plus utility bill and so on. All got too hard so I just never took it any further.

Yes you are correct. I forgot that part. I scanned a page from my passport and a bill from the address I was at. Mailed it through to them.

I am not in anyway associated with them except as a client and I have only used them but I found them great and my second tranaction came through to Aus a/c in 24 hrs which I think even surprised the person i was dealing with.

I hear alot of people use halifax fx as well so they may be worth looking at.

btw ozforex have another service for smaller amounts of transfers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I use www.xetrade.com
    You need to verify your identity - scan of passport & bank statement followed by an enquiry phone call from them before your account is set up.
    However there are no fees for bank to bank transfers and no minimum amount to transfer and they offer excellent rates and give a guarantee: to beat every posted bank rate on every transaction. We also guarantee to beat every other competitor's rate nine times out of ten.

I was looking for a service to transfer money to the US, they offered the best rates and no extra charges

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Beachband

Thanks for all yer replys, it given me a pointer in some direction of the whole currency trading transfer thingy.
    Are you better going for a currency broker?
    Cause from what I have read even the difference in pips with an amount bought and exchanged, there can be a difference of a few hundred euros.
    I like the idea of doing it online myself though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 brianonline

depends on how much you need to send. You can order a future rate with currency.ie , that way you're getting better than todays rate even. Not sure if it needs to be over a certain amount though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭horse7

im trying to find out about using paypal in ireland to my son,s paypal in australia,there is a lot of reading on the paypal site.it does say there is no fee when the money comes from your paypal balance or bank account,for a cross boarder personal transaction.has anyone used this service.im also tryiny to find out do they mean i should put money into my paypal account, before i sent money to my son.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I have paid money through paypal - but was all done within Ireland.....its straight forward and done in seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭horse7

has anyone used paypal to send funds to australia.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Has anyone skipped the intermediary and just transferred money directly from an irish account to an Oz account.

I don't plan on transferring particularly large sums at a time, so I was just wondering if it would be regarded as madness to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭sharky86

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 toffeeforever

Does anybody here transfer money from Australia Bank to Irish Bank. Im currently with Westpac and get charged 20 AUD everytime i send money home. As Westpac dont have an agreement with my Irish bank (AIB), they have to send through a bank in germany costing 6 euro and AIB then charge another 6 euro to recieve the money. So in total it is costing 20AUD and 12 euro. Does anybody know of a cheaper way.

I looked at XE trade but that seems to charge 20AUD for a wire transfer too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 MB81

Anyone ever use this crowd TravelToWork Ltd and/or have any experience with them.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭sharky86

MB81 wrote: »
    Anyone ever use this crowd TravelToWork Ltd and/or have any experience with them.
    Thanks

Yea as far as I know there are a part of transfer mate I use.. think they deal with the larger side of transfers tho ... could be wrong very good.. I googled them and western union they basically on parr from what I can tell (cheaper tho)

Advertisement