Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From SEI - July Technical Bulletin

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭SilverBER

Thanks sinnerboy, thats why I cover my arse upfront every time because I know that nobody else will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

What I would have done is use the old it's not me its them routine!!, I have to advise you that this dosn't comply as I will most likely be audited by SEI (yes blame the evil empire) They may refer this matter to enforcement so its entirely up to you (client & Architect) what you do about it. I suspect there will be a lot of this in the next while with the few houses that are being built where they were desigend to comply with the 2005 part L but now have to comply with the 2007 part L. There will be very serious and expensive non compliance issues, all I think you can do as an assessor is advise (in writing) then you are covered from SEI's point of view. You could of course meet a thorny Architect or engineer who decides you telling his client that his design dosn't comply is slander and have a few days in court but that is why you have PI (don't you??)

I am (or was) happy to have the insurance as I know that not everyone has bothered with it. My thinking on it is that we seem to be getting a lot more stuff foisted on us by SEI that, to me, seems a little on the lary side. Some of this may even render the insurance unusable. Besides, I have never had or made a claim against my insurance in all of my working life and I dont want to start now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

... because your premiums then rise

Yes, and quite substabtially. Also, having a clean policy is like a badge of professional honour if you know what I mean and I won't have it dragged down to SEI's level for any reason. I can see a day when a form of class action is taken against SEI and God knows where the ripples from that will ebb.
    Here's a thing. I was out for a few pints last night with some colleagues. Two of them have just resigned from the SEI database and have sent solicitors letters demanding the registration fee be returned. They have done about 10 asessments each (in 2 months) and became agitated with the system. Under SEI code of practice it states that they have to keep their survey records for 10 years. These two are off to work abroad in October so where does that leave the records?
    Furthermore, if, as I suspect will happen, a number of assessors decide not to renew their registration can anyone really see that these records are going to be maintained?
    What will happen then?

• Advertisement
Advertisement