Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballina

Options
  • 31-07-2009 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend someone to get home heating oil from near ballina. Just moved into new house and have never used oil before so any ideas on how much a tank costs and how long it will last would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ftm2008

East clare Oil in Killaloe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭cards

I have another ballina question so will keep it on same thread. Im looking for somewhere to run, preferbly on the ballina side and found some pretty cool trails but they are fairly boggy and its middle of summer so by winter wont be really able to run on them. I went up by the millenium cross the other day and whilst its perfect, its a little short and was looking for somewhere else. There a sign for lorg derg way about 100 yards before the carp park for millenium cross and when you go down it there is a left and right option.Left goes down past some houses but seemed like a private lane and right tapered off into some fields and didnt seem to go anywhere either. The sign could have been moved by somebody and maybe it was meant to face up the road? Was just wondering does anyone know where Im talking about or any other recomendations. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭monalitto

I'm no help as regards the running, but i have another question about Ballina. Anyone have any info on the old cross? it's in front of the millenium cross & was built in 1932 - my uncle was involved in the building of it (my mother's family was from Portroe). I was up there today in the glorious sunshine & would love to know more as she was very proud of him & his involment.

I'm new to the area monalitto so am no good to you. I was wondering though does anyone have phone number for somewhere to get fuel for fire,
    ie. coal, timber, or turf or do you have to collect ? haven't lived in the country for several years!

hi there,
    I've seen a lot of adds in the limerick post for people selling logs & turf, maybe check that out - or I would ask the locals, maybe put up a note in the local co op, or shop. I've a friend out there, i'll ask him. how are you settling in, do you like it?

• Advertisement

Hi monalitto, Good idea about the limerick post.Not sure if they'll deliver out this far but worth a shot anyway. I've settled in fine too.I'm a couple of miles outside the town and was living in limerick for about 10 years so thought country living might take a while to acclimatise to but so far so good. Peace, space and fresh air! What more could you want!

glad to hear you like it, I love it out there too it is really beautiful. I live in Limerick city so I can understand the appeal. I'm a bit of a townie so would be nervous of making that leap. fair play to you & good luck - will let you know if i hear more about the fuel thing. By the way have you heard of Charlies Hill out near Portroe?

no, Ive been to the wooded area out by Portroe but thats all.Tell me more!

hi again, ok you go up to the top of Portroe hill, towards Ballina, the road straightens out a bit for a few minutes, then you meet another hill, going down - this is Charly's hill. We used to run or cycle down it when we were kids - your legs would run away with you & you could'nt stop! great fun but we often ended up in the ditch or on our forheads, & of course as with many things, we thought the hill was huge when we were small but seemed to get smaller as we got bigger! My mother's house was a few minutes on from the bottom of the hill, set back from the road on the left, ruin still there think roof is gone. Many a happy summer spent out there escaping from Limerick.

I'll keep an eye out for it next time I'm over there. I used to escape to grandnparents over near newport for summer months as well. Happy memories!

• Advertisement

Hi again! I have a bicycle that needs a back brake and the gears don't work either. I take it nenagh would be my best bet to get it sorted out?

Advertisement