Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scholarship or Supervisor?

Options
  • 31-07-2009 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

Hey there,

I recently decided to change institutions in order to find an appropriate supervisor for my PhD. I've just found out that I've won a scholarship in the institution I'm currently registered with. The scholarship covers fees, travel and some other nice things. I don't get a county council grant so this would be a BIG help. Even though I may not be able to do exactly what I'm interested should I take the scholarship and stay in university I'm with at the moment or move and be poor and struggle through the next 3-5 years? Can I just add that I really love the dept I'm working with at the moment, I just don't think they like what I'm interested at the moment in.

Thanks,

R

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Sounds like you would be crazy to move tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭theredletter

I was moving for personal reasons rather than anything else. I wanted a new start, new friends, new experience and all that. But the scholarship will open all that up for me anyway... and my lecturers are pretty dam cool so you're right, I'd be stupid to move! Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dK1NG

If money was not an issue - would you choose to stay or go?

Have you identified another institution you would like to go to - if so, why not approach them and ask about funding etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭procure11

You mentioned that your current school is not interested in what you are doing at the moment,so why would they offer you a scholarship?

Sorry if I am being naive but I never thought you could move between institutions when you are doing an Mphil or Phd.

The scholarship is for undergrads going into postgrad (which is me). The other institution has no funding at the moment.. The school in which I will be going to is willing to move on what I want to do but I might not get the best supervision..

I'm happy with staying but worried about my future long-term. Hmm.. More thinking needed I think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

I wanted a new start, new friends, new experience and all that. But the scholarship will open all that up for me anyway...

How?

I think your PhD experience will be 90% determined by the quality of supervision you receive so find a supervisor who is interested in what you do, then go speak to current students of that supervisor and ask them if they had the chance to go back a few years would they choose this supervisor again (knowing what they know now). There is a huge difference in a lecturer seeming "cool" and being a good supervisor.

Sorry, didn't mean to dumb things down with using the term 'cool'. What I meant was that the lecturers are approachable and genuinely care about their students and I would expect the same from them as supervisors. I think I can trust them.

Oh and I'm starting out as a research Masters student and then have to convert to receive the scholarship. I wouldn't be ready for a PhD at the moment and not sure even if I want to pursue it.

The scholarship would open other doors (looking good on a CV and may help me get other scholarships) and it will help start driving (in that it will fund it!).

More thinking needing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

avalon68 wrote: »
    How?

I think your PhD experience will be 90% determined by the quality of supervision you receive so find a supervisor who is interested in what you do, then go speak to current students of that supervisor and ask them if they had the chance to go back a few years would they choose this supervisor again (knowing what they know now). There is a huge difference in a lecturer seeming "cool" and being a good supervisor.

I would agree 100% on this, especially on talking to former students. I know people who have had absolutely miserable experiences because of bad/incompatible supervisors. Definitely one of the most important factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

The scholarship would open other doors (looking good on a CV and may help me get other scholarships)

That really depends on what field you are in and what you mean by scholarship....do you mean IRCSET or SFI or the equivalent? - because i think you will find that most people in scientific research are funded by these bodies. Dont get me worng...its great to get it, but I'm not really sure it would be a defing factor on your cv. I still think your best option is to go speak to current students in both labs that you are interested in and take it from there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I followed the money trail at masters level and kinda wish I hadn't in hindisght, the dissertation supervisor I had at undergrad wanted me to stay on and research under him but I saw the pound signs and I was off like a shot :P My graduate thesis is in an area I'm not remotely interested in, because no-one would supervise the topic I was interested in....

Long-term the supervisor will make all the difference as others have said. The cash might make your PhD more comfortable economically, educationally it's a whole other story.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

pow wow wrote: »
    I followed the money trail at masters level and kinda wish I hadn't in hindisght, the dissertation supervisor I had at undergrad wanted me to stay on and research under him but I saw the pound signs and I was off like a shot :P My graduate thesis is in an area I'm not remotely interested in, because no-one would supervise the topic I was interested in....

Long-term the supervisor will make all the difference as others have said. The cash might make your PhD more comfortable economically, educationally it's a whole other story.
    Not just educationally but mentally too! 3 years is a long time to be miserable working exclusively under one person you don't get on with or who doesn't have the same research ideas as you.

Advertisement