Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary Amenorrhea

Options
  • 31-07-2009 4:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭

Asides from when I’m on the pill, I’ve not had a period in 2 and half years. Now I’ve been to my doctor, had ultra-sound scans, many blood and hormone tests, and seen a gynaecologist. I’m still waiting results from the gynae’s blood tests, but he expects them to be fine. The only explanation anyone can come up with is that it’s due to the fact that my BMI is below 19 (17.5 to be precise).
    I’m just wondering if any of you ladies have experienced anything similar. And if so, how long did it last? I have been making an effort to gain some weight, but I do find it quite difficult (emotionally more so than physically I suppose). Otherwise I am healthy and have a fairly active lifestyle and a varied diet.
    Any advice would be welcome. Cheers in advance guys :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Oh The Humanity

I was just about to ask if you are very slim....when I saw the bit about your bmi...

Also diets very high in raw food can be a factor....I presume you are not living on raw carrots or anything?

Also athletes can be this way...

Even though you have amenorrhea its possible to still be ovulating.

The gynae will check this out for you...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

There are lots of people who can help you gain weight on the fitness forum. Might be worth heading over there some time in the future if you're still having trouble (or maybe now if you fancy it). You will get more of a factual stance and less help on the emotional side there though, just being up front about that.

As a starting point, adding a glass of whole milk to every meal is a good start.

What did your gynae say about your low BMI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭catspring

khannie, the gynae didn't pass comment on my BMI other than to say it could be a factor. i have been poking about on the fitness forum of late, and diet & nutrition too. lots of helpful info (cheers fellow-boarders!)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

catspring wrote: »
    khannie, the gynae didn't pass comment on my BMI other than to say it could be a factor.
    It could be, but that said I've known women with the same kind of BMI that still got their periods. An ex of mine had a low BMI and very very little bodyfat(she had a 4 pack going on) and was very regular(and very heavy too). Then again BMI is only a guide and a vague one at that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 scquinn

Hi I just wanted to say I also had this problem for just over a year, went to the doctor and was told all my hormone levels were normal. The thing is hormone levels change throughout the monthly cycle and mine weren't changing, my bmi and body fat was also low. I went without a period for a year and just got my first one last month after gaining to a bmi of 20.9 and getting my body fat to 18%. I would recommend trying to gain a little to see if that helps and make sure you are taking in enough healthy fats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

Hey Op,

I had the same problem and the only solution was to stop running and gain some body fat. It is a low body fat problem more than a BMI problem so as far as I know, gaining muscle weight won't help. My periods only returned 6 months after I stopped going to the gym and it is a fear if I return to running that they will go again.

The one thing (which I am sure your doctor has mentioned) is that you need to be getting loads of calcium as if at any stage you aren't on the pill, your bone density will significantly lower from the lack of oestrogen.

I took part in a big hospital medical testing thing when I had this and the main thing in common between all of us that were taking part is that we all had low body fat. I don't mean horrendously low either, just reasonably fit athlete low! The consensus of the millions of doctors working on it was that there really isn't any other way to force the periods back and sometimes it just happens and sometimes it doesn't. Gaining body fat back was really the only likely solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

OP I did a 'cut' (a competition fat-stripping diet) a couple of years back and lost my periods when my bodyfat got very low. Your bodyfat % and overall weight can *absolutely* be a factor in amenorrhea - once I began eating normally again and gained a little weight my period came back with no harm done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭catspring

i'd like to thank everyone for their replies. it's always reassuring to know other people have had this problem, and come out the other side.
    i'd been hoping to concentrate on gaining muscle rather than fat but it looks like upping my body fat is the way to go.
    monkey61, you pointed out the need for plenty of calcium. my diet is quite high in dairy, nuts and greens (all good sources i believe). perhaps i should be taking a calcium supplement. can too much of it have a detrimental effect?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

Ooo I don't know. Best bet would be to check with a doctor on that one! I know too much is not a good idea, but I have absolutely no idea how much that would be!

Advertisement