Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Darren Bent - The Epitome of Dumb

• 31-07-2009 5:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭

Darren Bent recently sent a foul-mouthed tirade on his club and Levy over his Twitter account...

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5463456,00.html
    He said on his Twitter page: "Do I want to go to Hull City, no. Do I want to go to Stoke, no.

"Do I want to go to Sunderland, yes. So stop f*****g around, Levy."
    He earlier wrote: "Why can't anything be simple? It's so frustrating hanging around doing jack s**t. Seriously getting p***ed off now."

Tottenham board member Donna Cullen told The Sun: "We have put calls in to Darren's agent. We are trying to establish whether the Twitter account is actually Darren's."

Twitter: @DB10TheTruth (no longer exists)

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/articles/darrenbentstatement310709.html
    Darren Bent statement 31/07/09

I appreciate that transfers are seldom straightforward and are often complex. However, after a long period of waiting following my withdrawal from the plane to China, I had become incredibly frustrated by the time these things take and I posted inappropriate comments on my Twitter site.

I allowed my emotions to get in the way of my better judgement. I regret my actions and did not intend to offend Daniel Levy or anyone with the nature or the content of my posting.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Lol....cause Sunderland is just leap years ahead of Stoke and Hull!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Is he the one that has his own name tattooed on his arm or is that the brother?

His surname?? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

rarnes1 wrote: »
    His surname?? :pac:

:p
    One of them has their first name on their forearm don't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

:p
    One of them has their first name on their forearm don't they?

Obviously for the times when they forget it.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I can fully appreciate his feelings and actually fully respect them.

He is eager to start preseason so he can do his best for his new club.

Levy seems to enjoy this a bit too much.

Bent shouldn't have stuck it on twitter though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

kmart6 wrote: »
    As a club structure, yeah, they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Are you thinking of Marcus Bent? Because they are not related. True story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Cant find it on Youtube and to be honest cant even remember if it was about Darren or Marcus but Chris Kamara's thing for Soccer AM was timeless when he was in some dressing room

"Its true Tim the number 7 for Charlton is Bent" !!!

Quality.Sorry for goin offtopic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

When I read it first I had a feeling that it was authentic and he did post it up on his twitter page. Be a great signing for Sunderland. What happens if it goes wrong there? Another twitter!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Don't blame him to be honest. This week or last week good old 'Arry was on Sky Sports and said how they were delighted they now had four top strikers - Defoe, Pavylchenko, Keane and Crouch - leaving out Bent altogether. They've treated him terribly to be fair when it looked last year as if he needed somebody to give him a confidence boost.

Oh and he was top scorer last year for Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

DB10TheTruth?

ROFL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

How stupid can one person be!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

stupid, frustrated, or clever. Brings medias attention to Levy stalling and stumbling with his deal, brings the whole thing to a head.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

Gillington wrote: »
    Cant find it on Youtube and to be honest cant even remember if it was about Darren or Marcus but Chris Kamara's thing for Soccer AM was timeless when he was in some dressing room

"Its true Tim the number 7 for Charlton is Bent" !!!

Quality.Sorry for goin offtopic!

thats the fella from match of the day 2, the tubby fella. he goes into the everton dressin room and no.7 Bent is hangin up and yer man goes "I always knew the no.7 for Everton was Bent!" brilliant!..................................................

but obvious, obviously! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

This is clearly a stunt folks. It is to make it harder for him to stay at Spurs and to make it easier to move to Sunderland. Its going to work too.

Whats next? Outrage at a Pavy Facebook rant :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Himself and Marcus should share an account to mess with people's heads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

He has been treated awfully, and any criticism he has made has only echoed the sentiments of most of our fanbase towards the club chairman.

He's done his best, and scored goals despite the turmoil he's faced, so he should be left go for what is on offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

kmart6 wrote: »
    I'd say they'll finish top 10 without a doubt while the other 2 are relegation contenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I can understand his frustration and wouldn't condemn him for a bit of a rant considering his situation. But he isn't good enough for spurs.

He's been given his chances, and he isn't good enough. Anybody who has watched him play for a season or two knows this. Its compounded by the fact that spurs have an abundance of forwards. A sub standard player will be put up with at a relegation club because thats what they have and can afford, but its no surprise he is being sold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

mink_man wrote: »
    thats the fella from match of the day 2, the tubby fella. he goes into the everton dressin room and no.7 Bent is hangin up and yer man goes "I always knew the no.7 for Everton was Bent!" brilliant!..................................................
    :pac:

Was this not Chris Kamara on Soccer Saturday ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfCo03DvDFw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

He should probably be grateful that Hull and Stoke showed any interest in him at all. He hasnt exactly ripped it up over the last couple of seasons. Sunderland will be well and truly ripped off if they pay anywhere approaching the reported transfer fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

orourkeda wrote: »
    He should probably be grateful that Hull and Stoke showed any interest in him at all. He hasnt exactly ripped it up over the last couple of seasons. Sunderland will be well and truly ripped off if they pay anywhere approaching the reported transfer fee.

He scored 17 goals in 28 starts last year in all competitions.
    Year before he scored 7 goals in 13 starts + a good few subs appearances.

Not the worst in a club that has a revolving door transfer system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

lol at the comment that he is not good enough for spurs!!! im sorry i didnt realise that spurs had become a great club since ive been in oz..oh no wait they havent. they have treated him poorly. wasnt he top english goal scorer in the premier league 2 years running before he joined spurs. imo he is more than good enough for spurs! i would take him at the pool now as cover for el nino!! better than voronin

Bent has passed a medical at Sunderland and looks set for a £12m move according to the BBC.

He'll do well there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

He'll do well there.

Back to Spurs next transfer window then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Bent has passed a medical at Sunderland and looks set for a £12m move according to the BBC.

He'll do well there.

When the £15m was mentioned someone told me he'll be good for 15 goals. That puts striker's prices into perspective - would you spend £1m to buy a goal, or spend £15m to buy 15 over a course of 38 games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

£12m? Is it just me, or is that way too much?

Back to Spurs next transfer window then?

We still have Bobby Zamora, Helder Postiga and Gregorz Raziak to resign, so he's 4th choice to them...which is a position he should be familiar with...;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

No, Bent's quality and still fairly young and English. Take those factors into consideration and it's about right. He guarantees you goals and is certainly one of the best strikers a small club will have next year. He was ****ed royally at Spurs though. No matter how he played was never first choice

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    When the £15m was mentioned someone told me he'll be good for 15 goals. That puts striker's prices into perspective - would you spend £1m to buy a goal, or spend £15m to buy 15 over a course of 38 games?

If it's £12m I think they've got a good deal tbh.
    ITT-Pat wrote: »

Blackburn just spent £6.7m on a Croat who may not adjust to the English game, Boro paid £12m for Alves.

Bent is a proven goalscorer in the PL, given the right service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

whose 'arry got lined up for with the Bent cash then? Huntelaar? perhaps another fullback?

whose 'arry got lined up for with the Bent cash then? Huntelaar? perhaps another fullback?

My guess would be a CB (possibly Distin or Dunne) or a CM partner for Palacios.

Levy is unlikely to pay the asking price for Huntelaar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Depends on what the goals do for you, 15 1-0 wins (unlikely i know) for Sunderland with Bent scoring them all will be money well spent,

We wont know untill the end of the season though obviously.

As therecklessone said, and i agree it is a good bit of business, he is a proven Premier League goalscorer, he will be playing most games for Sunderland this season, so he has a chance to show what he can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Pretty fair tbh, given today's market rates. With a bit of work the lad could get 20 league goals a season easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

Pretty fair tbh, given today's market rates. With a bit of work the lad could get 20 league goals a season easy.

Wouldn't really have thought that the market rates really affect the likes of Sunderland and Darren Bent. Its not like Real are City were going to come in with a big offer. I suppose the main reason I think its too much is because Spurs paid ~£16m for him 2 years ago and that was on the back of two great seasons in the PL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Wouldn't really have thought that the market rates really affect the likes of Sunderland and Darren Bent. Its not like Real are City were going to come in with a big offer. I suppose the main reason I think its too much is because Spurs paid ~£16m for him 2 years ago and that was on the back of two great seasons in the PL

Statistically speaking he's been fairly consistent goal scoring. His average was just shy of one in two for Charlton, and at Spurs it's been about 1 in 3, though with much more substitute appearances.

So you're payin' 12 mil for someone who should be capable of 15 goals a season with game time, and given his age could still mature to find a few more goals in him. It's not too pricey given he's an already an established Premiership player. You've a couple million premium alright for the fact he's English (which increases his brand recognition around the globe), but it's a standard enough fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Is it a one year contact?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Depends on what the goals do for you, 15 1-0 wins (unlikely i know) for Sunderland with Bent scoring them all will be money well spent,

We wont know untill the end of the season though obviously.

As therecklessone said, and i agree it is a good bit of business, he is a proven Premier League goalscorer, he will be playing most games for Sunderland this season, so he has a chance to show what he can do.

Good point, but highly unlikely. 45 points would guarentee their Premier League status, so well worth £15m.

Top quality striker, just needs game time and some decent development. Question is whether or not Sunderland is the right club for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Was this not Chris Kamara on Soccer Saturday ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfCo03DvDFw

Looks like Soccer AM to me...;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Never liked Bent as a player at all but I think he's a good signing for Sunderland.

He'll score goals for them without question and 12 mil sounds high but is pretty much the going rate now.

I think this is one of those moves that is good for all concerned.

The team really needs to play around him though. Everything has to go to him and everybody has to constantly be looking for him. He gets very isolated when things are'nt going the teams way and he's not the player (contrary to what people might think) who will always put away that single decisive chance but like I said he can certainly rack up the goals and that is going to be very important for Sunderland next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I agree. I wouldn't value him at anything over 5 mill.

Aidric wrote: »
    I agree. I wouldn't value him at anything over 5 mill.

Who was the last premiership striker who moved for 5 mil?

Id wager they had nowhere near the goalscoring record of Darren Bent. Move with the times, 5 mil gets you nothing now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Who was the last premiership striker who moved for 5 mil?

Id wager they had nowhere near the goalscoring record of Darren Bent. Move with the times, 5 mil gets you nothing now.

I agree with you , it is very rare that an english goalscorer goes for anything near as low as £5 million

But an exception to the rule Blackburn sold Derbyshire, a proven goalscorer for £3.5 and have signed Kalinic for twice that, and reportedly could rise to twice again.

I'm a Blackburn fan and hope it works out, but id much rather Debyshire have been given his chance.

I'll get to see Bent a lot with living in Durham, i think it's a great move for all involved. No doubt its a step down in terms of Club for Bent, and he is back to his Charlton level, but he will be 1st choice with Jones you'd imagine, looking forward to seeing how he gets on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I agree with you , it is very rare that an english goalscorer goes for anything near as low as £5 million

But an exception to the rule Blackburn sold Derbyshire, a proven goalscorer for £3.5 and have signed Kalinic for twice that, and reportedly could rise to twice again.

I'm a Blackburn fan and hope it works out, but id much rather Debyshire have been given his chance.

I'll get to see Bent a lot with living in Durham, i think it's a great move for all involved. No doubt its a step down in terms of Club for Bent, and he is back to his Charlton level, but he will be 1st choice with Jones you'd imagine, looking forward to seeing how he gets on.

Tottenham paid 4 million too much for Bent. It was an excellent piece of business by Charlton to get 16 million for Bent. That said, Sunderland are getting him at the price Spurs should have paid IMO, 12 million.

Bent is well worth that and I would have loved for Blackburn to get him. Like all strikers he's a confidence player and Spurs haven't treated him the best - I remember after one game last season where Redknapp spoke to MOTD about how he couldn't understand how Bent had missed one particular chance, I think he even went as far as saying his granny would have scored it. I like Redknapp but that's no way to inspire a player so I'd imagine there was trouble between the two before then.

Bent is a quick player who can finish well and I'd imagine he'll flourish at a team like Sunderland where he'll have players like Reid or Malbranque creating chances.

As for Derbyshire, I was more upset about him leaving Blackburn than Santa Cruz. Successive managers didn't seem to rate him though so there must have been some problem there. I wish him all the best in Olympakios and he's already developed a cult following there having scored in their cup win last season.

Sam has taken a punt with Kalinic but Sam tends to do well in the transfer market so I'm looking forward to seeing how he gets on.

Bent confirmed to Sunderland:
    The following statement has been released to the Stock Exchange:

5 August 2009
    Tottenham Hotspur plc

Player Transfer

Tottenham Hotspur plc announces that agreement has been reached for the transfer of the player registration of Darren Bent to Sunderland AFC for a total consideration of up to £16.5 million.

Sky reporting initial fee is around £10m, though I'd be surprised if there is £6.5m of conditional payments included so likely to be closer to £12m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

stupid, frustrated, or clever. Brings medias attention to Levy stalling and stumbling with his deal, brings the whole thing to a head.?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/s/sunderland/8186921.stm;)

Bent confirmed to Sunderland:

Sky reporting initial fee is around £10m, though I'd be surprised if there is £6.5m of conditional payments included so likely to be closer to £12m.

Sh1t, thats a lot of money! Suppose they'll only pay the 16.5 if he does well but that was mad money for Bent when we bought him and its even crazier now.

Hardly stupid now, considering he got his move.:rolleyes:

Hardly stupid now, considering he got his move.:rolleyes:

Lol, Spurs wanted the move as much as Dbizzle did so it would've happened anyway and it would not have cost him £120,000.

£120,000 for a twit (or a tweet or a twat or whatever the fvck you call it) is pretty stupid imo.:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement