Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Harry potter is bad for your kids

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Jakkass wrote: »
    Really? That's news to me. Why not pop in there and ask for yourself? :)

Id rather offer them a brain that can use insted of taking all thier advice from some dude in a dress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

Dean09 wrote: »
    I Heard an American bible-basher on the Fm104 phoneshow talking about this during the week and he was deadly serious. Saying that we're all going to hell 'n' stuff. What a knob-head.

He was dead right,its a shame on our kids and our catholicism,our Children are not forced to church everyday and watch these horrible movies :( Irelands souls are been drained in sin.

Really? That's news to me. Why not pop in there and ask for yourself? :)

Oh very sneakie :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

shqipshume wrote: »
    He was dead right,its a shame on our kids and our catholicism,our Children are not forced to church everyday and watch these horrible movies :( Irelands souls are been drained in sin.

...ther's me thinking it was alcohol! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    Id rather offer them a brain that can use insted of taking all thier advice from some dude in a dress.

Ever since the Reformation Christians have been able to look to the Biblical text for themselves. Any "dude in a dress" is there merely to lead the congregation, the congregation are fully entitled to question his work and his preaching.

Mind you, why not post in there if you really want to offer us brains we can use :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Mr.S wrote: »
    Wingardium leviosa!

It's pronounced levi-osa

Not leviosa!

Biggins wrote: »
    ...ther's me thinking it was alcohol! :rolleyes:

:rolleyes::D hahahahaha

Ever since the Reformation Christians have been able to look to the Biblical text for themselves. Any "dude in a dress" is there merely to lead the congregation, the congregation are fully entitled to question his work and his preaching.

Mind you, why not post in there if you really want to offer us brains we can use :pac:

Very sneakie lol :eek::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Conor108 wrote: »

People as large as her would probably have been frowned on 2,000 years ago as well.

Strictly speaking, that's incitement to hatred - those kids could end up assasinating Daniel Radcliffe now. In Ireland she could be arrested.

• Advertisement

Wagon wrote: »
    Ah no, leave it open! I really enjoy arguing with idiots, makes me feel smart.

Since when have you been able to argue yourself out of anything and feel smart :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Since when have you been able to argue yourself out of anything and feel smart :D

next to you my 2 year old cousin would look positively brainy:mad:

seriously,get a life. i'm not going to start defending the HP series to you as it simply doesn't need it. you people are pathetic,there's plenty of nasty stuff in the world to complain about,go do that.

next to you my 2 year old cousin would look positively brainy:mad:

seriously,get a life. i'm not going to start defending the HP series to you as it simply doesn't need it. you people are pathetic,there's plenty of nasty stuff in the world to complain about,go do that.

You are the one in the wrong ;)

You are the one in the wrong ;)

prove it:D

my side: millions of kids who have there imagination stimulated and are exposed to the joys of reading at an early age.

your side:an invisible man and a bunch of Deep South nutbags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

i don't remember the bible saying anything about harry potter.

i also don't remember any of the harry potter books mentioning that kids should practice witchcraft and be generally evil, although granted i haven't read all of them.

however i do remember the ryan commission report saying a lot about how several religious orders abused hundreds of children countrywide though.

i wonder which of these books i should take into consideration when thinking of the children?

summary:

how many times harry potter has endangered children: 0
    how many times the catholic church has endangered children: too many

There is, however, one final irony. Camp Quest founder Edwin Kagin has a son who not only grew up to reject his father's philosophy, but has become a Born Again Christian minister. He has banned his own eight-year-old son from attending any of the Camp Quest gatherings.

Interesting results :)

• Advertisement

prove it:D

my side: millions of kids who have there imagination stimulated and are exposed to the joys of reading at an early age.

your side:an invisible man and a bunch of Deep South nutbags.

My side God and hundreds of years of history ;)

Your side children who don't know any better than what you shove on tv for them to watch.They should have their minds stimulated history and the bible and love :D

Witch craft is encouraged and Ouija boards from that movie

not once is the Ouija board mentioned in the books OR films. do yisser homework:)

Yep, if you think about it.
    The son that became a minister was allowed to go to the atheist camp and learn how to question everything and he came to his own religious conclusions...
    Yet he won't, in following return, allow his own now son to go!
    Smells of hypocrisy to be honest. The son (now minister) doesn't want his own son to be a free thinker!

Just because you don't want your son to go to an atheist camp doesn't mean that your son isn't a free thinker in all due respect :D

Aren't there other places to promote free thought? Besides, I don't think atheists have any more "free thought" than Christians do.

By extension, should atheist parents send their children to Christian camps to open their minds and become "rational" beings? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Demonique

Patricide wrote: »
    The thing is.....even being catholic, where exactly in the bible does it mention that wizardry is evil or for that matter mention wizardry at all. God damm backwards crazy people.

Hmmmm, speaking of Catholism and Harry Potter, hasn't the Vatican condoned HP now and said its harmless?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Blind faith is the blind leading the blind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Demonique wrote: »
    Hmmmm, speaking of Catholism and Harry Potter, hasn't the Vatican condoned HP now and said its harmless?
    yeah, but try telling crazy fundementalists that....

Seriously people like this are the reason the world is sooo ****ed up

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    Blind faith is the blind leading the blind.

Blind being the adjective that differentiates blind faith, from other types of faith.

A lot of us happen to think about why we believe what we do. As I'm sure it took you a while to think about why you don't believe in God, Christianity amongst numerous things. Unless, you blindly accepted atheism that is? :p

Just because you don't want your son to go to an atheist camp doesn't mean that your son isn't a free thinker in all due respect :D

Aren't there other places to promote free thought? Besides, I don't think atheists have any more "free thought" than Christians do... :)

However "Christians" by their title explains, are already indoctrinated into a form of thinking.
    Summer camps that promote openness to everything and alll around you, allow you to come with your less already indoctrinated mind, to further more open conclusions I feel. :)

However "Christians" by their title explains, are already indoctrinated into a form of thinking.
    Summer camps that promote openness to everything and allow you to come with your less already indoctrinated mind, to further more open conclusions I feel. :)

well don't athiests already firmly believe that there are no gods? so you're going a camp where the decision is already made for you, just like going to a christian camp.

however if you were to go to an agnostic camp it would be giving you the information and allowing you to make up your own mind or just not make a decision at all, i think that's the most open way to approach religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Demonique wrote: »

Yes, but a lot of Christian groups are at odds with Catholicism and/or the Pope and their teachings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

:D Pity she didn't keep the money and spend it on a shrink :D Or 10 shrinks!

*eadaoin wrote: »
    well don't athiests already firmly believe that there are no gods? so you're going a camp where the decision is already made for you, just like going to a christian camp.

however if you were to go to an agnostic camp it would be giving you the information and allowing you to make up your own mind or just not make a decision at all, i think that's the most open way to approach religion.

True. The atheists at that camp above ask their visitors just to question life and its meanings, etc. They don't enforce (apparently) a syllabus of "there is NO god" but just apparently show those attending of alternative ways of how to look and question things in another non-indoctrinated way.
    As an eventual example showed - that one went on to be an actual religious minister!

Can't see anything wrong in that to be honest. If only some other more regimented organisations allowed such thinking!

Are we? Most Christians I have met have arrived at their conclusions through their own thought and have had stages of doubting. It's funny how people who are outside a certain demographic tend to make assumptions about those within it :)

You seem to actively believe that Christians genuinely do not question their beliefs at all ever. How odd!
    Summer camps that promote openness to everything and alll around you, allow you to come with your less already indoctrinated mind, to further more open conclusions I feel. :)

Em. Wouldn't it not be a fair stab to say that "Camp Quest" amongst others are promoting their own secular worldview in the same way as Christian camps put across a Christian worldview.

If you don't mind me saying so your post wreaks of bias :p

Edit: They're actually doing the same thing as the Christians, how dare they raise children in their secular worldview, when Christians are raising their children in a Christian worldview :eek:

Are you not seeing that your viewpoint is a touch hypocritical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Milky Moo

My side God and hundreds of years of history ;)

Your side children who don't know any better than what you shove on tv for them to watch.They should have their minds stimulated history and the bible and love :D

I won't even start on the religious side of it because a mentally disabled monkey could pick holes in the bible and sometimes angry atheists can be just as unattractive as bible bashers.

But if you are going to bitch about something at least research it,there are no ouija boards in Harry Potter.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :D
    God when was i nasty to anyone here :(

I was so joking for the guy i heard on the radio and was been sarcastic and some nasty few sure popped up and i barely even wrote :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

It's actually a great result, he allowed his son to choose his own path and he did - but was presented with a full range of options first. That's what this is about.

True. The atheists at that camp above ask their visitors just to question life and its meanings, etc. They don't enforce (apparently) a syllabus of "there is NO god" but just apparently show those attending of alternative ways of how to look and question things in another non-indoctrinated way.
    As an eventual example showed - that one went on to be an actual religious minister!

Can't see anything wrong in that to be honest. If only some other more regimented organisations allowed such thinking!

agreed, sounds like a much better place to send your kids than to a christian camp imo.

i like the idea of teaching your children to think rather than making them learn by heart the answers to religion questions and the words to songs about zacchaeus & the deciples!

herya wrote: »
    It's actually a great result, he allowed his son to choose his own path and he did - but was presented with a full range of options first. That's what this is about.

Here was I thinking that this thread was about Jesus Camp, Harry Potter, warlocks, and the death penalty :)
    Milky Moo wrote: »
    I won't even start on the religious side of it because a mentally disabled monkey could pick holes in the bible and sometimes angry atheists can be just as unattractive as bible bashers.

Is it really that simple? Okay, provide me a list of holes using your own independent thought and the Bible.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :D
    God when was i nasty to anyone here :(

I was so joking for the guy i heard on the radio and was been sarcastic and some nasty few sure popped up and i barely even wrote :confused:

ummm does this mean that you were joking?

...You seem to actively believe that Christians genuinely do not question their beliefs at all ever. How odd!

Not so, I myself lean towards a Budhist faith - yet myself was baptised a "christian"

If you don't mind me saying so your post wreaks of bias :p

No more that yours maybe in which also includes by the way religious contaminations as well in your signature.

Are you not seeing that your viewpoint is a touch hypocritical.

I refer your good self to the previous statement. :)

See above. Previous post was posted by accident by my child too quick. She pressed the mouse LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I'd ride the daughter in the denim jacket.

While i believe Harry Potter sucks from my point of view, its great that it got kids reading. Though i knew a 24 year old girl who loved the harry potter books. she was sweet

Em. Wouldn't it not be a fair stab to say that "Camp Quest" amongst others are promoting their own secular worldview in the same way as Christian camps put across a Christian worldview.

Not at all, they give kids the tools to tell what is real & provable and what is a matter of faith.

If subsequently kids choose to believe in things being a matter of faith they are free to do so. The focus of the camp seems to be to teach kids how to distinguish between the things you know (with reasonable measurable surety) and things you believe in. It doesn't say that believing in the things you can't prove is wrong, it just makes them aware of the difference.

Which IMHO is a very healthy attitude.

• Advertisement

I refer your good self to the previous statement. :)

I think it's fine if the kids of atheists want to go yabber on about secularism in the forest as long as you don't tell me it's not worthy of the same criticism as you give parents raising their child in Christianity.

Apply your criticism fairly to both. By your book both are indoctrination on the exact same level, if I am to apply your standard of criticism to Camp Quest.

Personally, I think Camp Quest is fine, just as I think that Christians raising their children in faith is fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭afatbollix

harry potter forum is that way...
    >

Not at all, they give kids the tools to tell what is real & provable and what is a matter of faith.

Indeed and the Christians give kids the tools to enter into a relationship with God and recognise the reality of His existence.

Apply your criticism fairly to both. By your book both are indoctrination on the exact same level

No it's not, as Camp Quest does not reject belief, incl. religious faith, just makes you aware of it.

Indeed and the Christians give kids the tools to enter into a relationship with God and recognise the reality of His existence.

And what rational tools give Christians to children at their camps?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

I'd ride the daughter in the denim jacket.

I say the mother might have a thing or two to say about that

Can you imagine having her as a mother-in-law :eek:

No it's not, as Camp Quest does not reject belief, incl. religious faith, just makes you aware of it.

Thank you. Someone gets it.

...but in the meanwhile before you can even get to ask or ponder those questions, we're (as religious parents) going to sign you up to one specific train of religious though just in case...

Yea, somehow for me, that just doesn't come across as fair and free thinking or indeed allowing it to progress freely to its own conclusions without taint!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Saibh wrote: »
    I say the mother might have a thing or two to say about that

Can you imagine having her as a mother-in-law :eek:

If ever there was an argument for euthanasia, she's it. :eek:

Aware of it in what way? That's the problem.

It's an atheist camp. It's going to be telling kids about religion from an atheistic viewpoint. That's pretty much the same as bringing kids to a camp about Christianity.

I'm personally fine with Camp Quest as long as people don't pretend it's anything other than what it is.

I think the guy who converted to Christianity and is now a pastor has every right to decide that he doesn't want to bring his child to Camp Quest.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement