Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need a 3 Ireland branded handset to get free MSN, Skype, etc?

• 31-07-2009 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

guys need a definitive answer here please (heard conflicting answers).

I am on three ireland Pay monthly, i want to get n97. Some people say i can get one sim free and if i download msn, skype etc for the n97 from planet 3 it will work fine (be able to use free of charge), other people have said i need a three branded n97 to use msn and skype free (can be from ireland or UK), and some people say i must buy a three ireland branded n97 for msn and skype to work free of charge.

Also say i wanted the Palm Pre or the HTC Hero? both of these are not going to come out on three ireland (unlike the n97), does this mean i wont be able to get the free msn and skype at all for these handsets? On the n97 you will be able to download software for it from planet 3 as they are introducing the n97 to the network shortly but for the HERO or the PALM PRE you won't be able to get the software from planet 3 as they are not going to be doing these handsets?

Whats the definitive answer guys?
    user_offline.gif

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I've previously downloaded the 3 skype client onto a non-3 branded E65 and it worked fine. I think I downloaded the msn client too but can't remember exactly.

There was a thread about this a while ago and the conclusion we came to was that the problem was with Sony Ericsson and other phones that required a 3 certificate but the Symbian phones (E65 and N97) worked. I'll search for the thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Seems I tested it for someone in February. Damn my memory :D

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=59097066

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

even if it doesn't work you should be able to brand the handset yourself using NSS
    but i've never heard of anyone doing that lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Is it possible to brand a phone with 3 firmware if 3 don't sell it? Eg nokia 5800

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭nazoil

squared wrote: »
    Is it possible to brand a phone with 3 firmware if 3 don't sell it? Eg nokia 5800

No 3 IE or UK firmware available.
    This is what's available in other 3 firmware for a Nokia 5800 (Australia, Denmark, Italy & Sweden) in version 21.0.025. I'd be interested to know if the 3 certs are installed with any of these firmwares.

0581336: 5800 H3G AU B
    0582945: 5800 H3G AU BK
    0580775: 5800 H3G DK B
    0578723: 5800 H3G IT B
    0577093: 5800 H3G IT R
    0580774: 5800 H3G SE R

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭GeneticDeviant

can the n97 take a 32gb memory card? or just up to 16gb?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

there are no 32gb microsdhc out yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

flodis79 wrote: »
    there are no 32gb microsdhc out yet

I think around October this year they will be out.

The specs say 16gb is supported, but it may well take a 32 when they launch

Advertisement