Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Harvey Norman Lens

• 31-07-2009 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hey all. Maybe someone can help me out here. Was strolling around Harvey Norman yesterday and came across a 300mm Canon lens. No IS and of course I never took any details, model number etcetc. Either way, I was offered the lenses (display model) and the lens hood (which I was told was €30) for 260. Is anybody familiar with the particular lens. As far as I could see it was the only 300mm lens they had by Canon.

Was thinking of splashing the cash but not sure, they also had a Sigma 300mm for 179, but for the extra 80, would I be better off with the Canon. Not wanting to turn this into which is better, but any ideas on the Canon and yes I know it would be helpful if I had the model number, but dont :(

Cheers for any replies

Actually, just spotted one on adverts.ie which looks and sounds exactly like it

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=93417&cpage=2#poststart

[Canon Zoom Lens EF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 II AF/MF]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Well the one on adverts is asking for €100. So, no, I wouldn't pay HN €260.

Personally, I'd keep my money and save a little (well, a lot!) and buy something of better quality.

Then again, it all depends on what you want to get out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭wiseolsham

Cheers for that. Not sure what I want to be honest, well something with a decentish zoom. Kinda new to the whole DSLR thing, any recommendations on lenses or a site that explains everything when it comes to lenses.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭DutchGuy

If it's the same one that I have (Canon EF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 II) then don't pay that much for it - it's not a great lens. Very slow to focus and gives poor image quality.

If you do want the lens and can't afford a better one, I'd suggest buying one second hand as I think there's quite a few floating around. At least that way if you decide to trade up later you won't have lost quite as much money. As you should be able to sell it on for a similar value.

I think I bought mine in Conn's for about €130.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭wiseolsham

Cheers for that Dutchguy! Appreciate it :)

Advertisement