Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help! American speeding ticket

Options
  • 31-07-2009 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Hi All

Was in California about 2 weeks ago and i picked up a speeding ticket on a highway that i had just turned onto. Was doing about 70mph, got pulled over by the po-lice and got ticketed. At the time I was laughing cause didnt see any speed limit sign and assumed it was closeish to 70 (because of the type of road), turns out it was 55mph.
    Anyway home in lovely Ireland again and got a speeding ticket in the post for $282!!!!!!!!
    Need some advice on this! Anything at all would be helpful. Obviously I'd rather not pay it, the amount and reason is a bit of a joke.

My options according to the ticket are to pay it (no thanks) or to pay bail (same amount)(no thanks) and write a letter pleading not guilty. If found not guilty they'd send the money back but this is highly highly unlikely.

Anyone know of a way of getting out of this, or does anyone know of the consequences of doing nothing at all, eg future travel to the US.

Thanks in advance!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

I'd pay the fine while the exchange rate is where its at. 199 euro aint too bad to make sure you wont have any problems if/when you go back.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Dont pay?

What can they do, come over here and get the money off you?? Doubtfull.

If your going back tho, pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Who issued the ticket? If it is from an official body (po-lice!) then pay it if you ever want to go back to the US. If it is from a collection agency you could try and argue it on a technicality (mistaken identity?)

If you were stopped while driving a rental car and the cops got your details, you will have a record in the US which could prevent you entering next time - €199? Its a no-brainer...

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 mcnallg

Thanks Clionad but i'd rather wait and see if anyone has any similar experience in the past and any advice. €200 is still a fair whack to shell out for nothing.

Who issued the ticket? If it is from an official body (po-lice!) then pay it if you ever want to go back to the US. If it is from a collection agency you could try and argue it on a technicality (mistaken identity?)

If you were stopped while driving a rental car and the cops got your details, you will have a record in the US which could prevent you entering next time - €199? Its a no-brainer...

'cptr

Yeah it was from the po-lice alright ;)
    Came from the Mariposa Superior Court apparently. Would they really stop you headin into the states next time tho?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

mcnallg wrote: »
    Yeah it was from the po-lice alright ;)
    Came from the Mariposa Superior Court apparently. Would they really stop you headin into the states next time tho?

Yup.

I cant believe you are complaining, just because you are Irish it dosnt mean you can flaunt the laws of another country. Scabby I know, but Id pay it.

kona wrote: »
    Yup.

I cant believe you are complaining, just because you are Irish it dosnt mean you can flaunt the laws of another country. Scabby I know, but Id pay it.

I dont think I can flaunt the laws of the US kona, i just think the fine is incredibly hefty considering the circumstances, and i'd like to gather peep's opinions on it before i make a decision, thats all!

If anyone does know a way out of it thou, that'd be good too...:P

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Pay it..unless your are not planning to ever ever ever never ever go to USA again...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I dont think I can flaunt the laws of the US kona, i just think the fine is incredibly hefty considering the circumstances, and i'd like to gather peep's opinions on it before i make a decision, thats all!

It's hefty by Irish standards, in the US apparently fines are higher ;)

You broke the law, pay the bloody thing. Not worth homeland security tagging you as a deviant who shouldnt be allowed back in, ever...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

it is a pity we do not have the same laws, plus the same enforcement of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭artielange

I'd only worry about it if a warrant is or is going to be issued for your arrest. Would you pay a 5 dollar parking ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

artielange wrote: »
    I'd only worry about it if a warrant is or is going to be issued for your arrest. Would you pay a 5 dollar parking ticket?

Well if he doesn't pay, he'll be arrested eventually in the US if he goes back, equivalent of a bench warrant if there is such a thing. I doubt they'll extradite him though :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Thanks Clionad but i'd rather wait and see if anyone has any similar experience in the past and any advice. €200 is still a fair whack to shell out for nothing.

If you ever want to enter the USA again, pay it. And it wasn't for nothing, it was for speeding :pac: Imagine a Guard pulling you for speeding here and you trying to get out of it by saying 'oh I didn't know the limit so I just assumed it was a number I thought it should be based on how the road looks'

They'd tell you to fu<k off and pay it, so why should American cops behave any different?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

$282 is about the standard fine for most minor infringements in California right now, to include breaking a light, failing to obey a stop sign, or driving in a carpool lane without the requisite number of passenger. I've no idea how they work it out.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭artielange

Canadian with simaliar problem. But I still would'nt pay them. Do they have your passport # or driving license # we know they have your address and who's to say you got the letter did they sent with a signature required

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭kyote00

I lived in the US for a number of years and that fine is about average.

if you think $282 is a lot, try parking in front of a red fire hydrant the next time :rolleyes:

if they took your passport number (as id) then it will turn up on US immigration the next time you enter the US.

easier option is to pay the fine....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Just a suggestion but maybe you could ask a local politician to go get some info i.e. get someone to check with the Embassies or such like as to what would be the story with trying to return to USA having not paid the fine?
    Like how long do they keep it on record, is it a permanent thing. I think I would just establish the facts before paying out that money..

Advertisement