Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shutter Sticking...

• 31-07-2009 6:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭

Guys this is the reason you need more than one camera for a wedding! Thankfully I have 2 identical cameras hanging off each shoulder. Today I covered a wedding, just back in the door and straight online to figure this problem out, I cant find anything on google search.

I use a d200 and whilst photographing the rings in church today the shutter stuck:eek: Again on the candle, thankfully having my other camera with 2.8 on my other shoulder I was able to quickly switch and get something but it caused a few missed photographs. Now most likely it will need to be repaired but I have 2 more jobs this weekend so I was hoping someone may be able to mention something that could have caused this. I got a new cf card but that was in the working camera and batteries on that camera still have a fair bit left in them so it couldnt be low power.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Could be on the way out, did you notice any band of light on the pictures?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Borderfox wrote: »
    Could be on the way out, did you notice any band of light on the pictures?

No only 32,000 shots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

What were the symptoms ? IE exactly what happened when you hit the shutter button ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

The amount of shots doesnt mean anything, shutters can go at 5 or 100,000 clicks. Things just go bang sometimes, I had an 350d let go after 75,000, no warnings just gone. What state is it in, working?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Sounds like a shutter on the way out. Unfortunitly, these can go at any time.

.... I have 2 more jobs this weekend so I was hoping someone may be able to mention something that could have caused this. ....

If it's a goner, don't panic. I can lend you mine for tomorrow, but need it back for noon on Sunday. Maybe someone else could cover Sunday?

PM me if it suits, and you can pop over to Leixlip to collect?

• Advertisement

It still works but every once in a while the shutter will stick closed and it will say err. I then turn off and on again and release the shutter, when I got to look at the pic it says file does not contain image data.

It is still working in every way just that it is hardly reliable if the shutter is going to stick every once in a while.

mrmac wrote: »
    Sounds like a shutter on the way out. Unfortunitly, these can go at any time.

If it's a goner, don't panic. I can lend you mine for tomorrow, but need it back for noon on Sunday. Maybe someone else could cover Sunday?

PM me if it suits, and you can pop over to Leixlip to collect?

Thanks mrmac, I only need one for tomorrow anyway, Metallica, I would only take on with me to that as I'll have a few drinks. Seriously thanks for the offer though.

Sunday is another wedding but I'll sort something for that. I just hope my shutter isnt a goner, is that expensive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

NP.

Sorry, but I haven't a clue how much it is to repair. You could call SLR Service Centre, in Rathmoylan, for a rough idea. They're an official Nikon repair centre. You'll have to add on a courier cost, as they don't accept customers on-site.

Tel. 046 9557151

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

New shutter please!

Sounds like the shutter in going,Best to get it replaced before you miss the "money shot" :)

As borderfox said it can go at anytime,Just depends on the Luck of the owner really,Most should come close to the rated and many of those pass it,But others can fail after only a few thousand shots

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

+1 to the shutter dying.

I had a shutter die on me when I was shooting the London Marathon. It was slightly different symptoms as it was sticking & so over exposing. I kept dialing in more EV but it just got worse.

I shot over 10,000 frames that day on a D2H & these bodies do that nearly every weekend, needless to say they go through a few shutters. I think they said it was about £120 to replace, but I may be wrong.

• Advertisement

CabanSail wrote: »
    +1 to the shutter dying.

I had a shutter die on me when I was shooting the London Marathon. It was slightly different symptoms as it was sticking & so over exposing. I kept dialing in more EV but it just got worse.

I shot over 10,000 frames that day on a D2H & these bodies do that nearly every weekend, needless to say they go through a few shutters. I think they said it was about £120 to replace, but I may be wrong.

Ah that wouldnt be too bad, rather keep it for the pub but I need my camera!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

It still works but every once in a while the shutter will stick closed and it will say err. I then turn off and on again and release the shutter, when I got to look at the pic it says file does not contain image data.

It is still working in every way just that it is hardly reliable if the shutter is going to stick every once in a while.
    "Well my 2 year old dropped my camera, my good camera, which was hooked up to the desktop downloading pics, camera works fine but the lens popped off, one of the plasticy rims on the lens which keeps it attached to the body broke, the lens works fine but will hang off the body, can this be repaired or is my lens now obsolete? "

Is this the camera that had a fall when uploading photos to your computer ? Maybe the mechanism is slightly misaligned now.

I had completely forgotten about that and yes it is in fact the same camera, I can tell the difference as one has a different handle for comfort.

A visit to the repair shop me thinks....

And dont you have a great memory John!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Good luck with the repair, I think it will work out OK.
    John

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

I had completely forgotten about that and yes it is in fact the same camera, I can tell the difference as one has a different handle for comfort.

A visit to the repair shop me thinks....

And dont you have a great memory John!

This is gas but the exact same thing happened me but on a canon.

I dropped mine a good few weeks back and was getting the same thing, shutter sticking and the only way I could get it to resolve was to power it off and back on again. This went on for weeks until eventually iut stopped working completely. Wasn't the shutter though. It was the mirror box and it had broken off.

It is still out for repair and it's costing me €200 to get it fixed.

Ah well, its still cheaper than getting another camera though. I'll have to wait untilTuesday and call around, see who can give me the quickest repair I suppose.

Off to Metallica now but I will have to leave beforethey even come on, no sitter for the evening. Anyone want to mind a couple of kids?

Advertisement