Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you Deviant?

• 31-07-2009 6:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

Have to say DeviantArt doesn't appear to be commonly used in these here parts, and if it does it certainly plays second fiddle to the likes of pix.ie and flickr.

I have to say though, I set up an account and I find it MUCH better than the likes of flickr, the standard of work appears to be much higher and overall it seems to be a better place to ''network''.

Your thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

all i seem to get is teenage girls commenting on how 'hot' the bands in my photos are. i never get any real critique

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

DotOrg wrote: »
    all i seem to get is teenage girls commenting on how 'hot' the bands in my photos are. i never get any real critique
    Well, are they hot? :D

In fairness, I've only been a member for approx 4 hours now. But I find it to be a much nicer site to navigate and browse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,406 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

used to better, smaller community, joined back in 2001, probably more young people than other sites, a lot of americans not that thats bad or anything :)

For getting feedback on stuff it used to be great not sure howit is these days, some really good art on there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Bebo,Myspace,facebook are for networking,

Deviantart is not just photography and i'd rather just have a specific photography site for C&C etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I wouldn't mind at all that it's more than just photographic mediums on it.

My biggest problem with the site is (From the last time I was on it, a few years ago by now) the bloody time it takes to get a picture up there - Titles, groups, categories, descriptions... no, thanks, I'll stick a picture up and do all the other sh*te when I'm bothered.

There's a lot of hormones flying about the place, and a bit too much 'oooh, I'm an artist, look how individual I am' sh*te going on...

I much prefer keeping my own photoblog these days, using Flickr the odd time to get some photos I need online, online (and private), and using pix.ie for the odd batch that I'll keep public/look for comments on/showboat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

It used to be good, gone towards the younger generation though with all their manga drawings!
    the standard of work appears to be much higher

many an argument about this before, thats YOUR opnion, i think Flickr (even though I don't use it for my photography) has the best photos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Its seems to be a very young crowd if you look in the forums but some stuff is good. I have some pictures up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Demonique

http://pkbitchgirl.deviantart.com

Not much in the way of photography ATM, just some pictures of my hogg island boa constrictor, some of the baby cornsnakes I've bred since 2006 and a robin, but I'm hoping to upload more, including when the time a vixen paid a visit to our back garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

DotOrg wrote: »

If its real critiques you are after then I suggest www.gfxartist.com
    But I warn you, once you settle in they can be quite direct if you post rubbish !

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭fluffyVW

I'm very active on it and love it.

Here is my page http://fluffyvolkswagen.deviantart.com/

If you take the time to use it and browse around there is some amazing photographers & artists. And people too!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I have an account. It's changed alot since I first started using it there was a tutorial section, which seems to have disappeared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Have to say DeviantArt doesn't appear to be commonly used in these here parts, and if it does it certainly plays second fiddle to the likes of pix.ie and flickr.

I have to say though, I set up an account and I find it MUCH better than the likes of flickr, the standard of work appears to be much higher and overall it seems to be a better place to ''network''.

Your thoughts?

I use it these days for my "money shots", i've made great contacts on there with some amazing artists.

That said, outside of a sphere of contacts and friends i have built up it basically appears to be bebo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Been a member for a few years but tend to just troll it here & there rather then submit. I use flickr/pix for actual submission/hosting. devART is a great resource at times but if you want proper C&C it is fairly useless as its main commenter-base are 15 year old goths.

devART's community seems like a vibrant one with more talent then flickr etc., but it's just the way devART works. It's much easier to search and navigate so finding good material is easier whereas flickr etc. don't really provide such abilities, hence making their community as a whole seem a lot less talented. Of course, devART's community is a fraction of that flickr has!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

fluffyVW wrote: »

If you take the time to use it and browse around there is some amazing photographers & artists. And people too!!! :D

hey, Ive chatted with you there but Im not called kumatechamp on it, its friction fire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

fluffyVW wrote: »

Great gallery on there fluffy, a friend of mine told me about it half a year ago and I've only really started using it recently, it's fun and easy to navigate and theres some cracking shots on deviant art. Here's mine http://adriatic22.deviantart.com/

I have a flickr account too but I haven't used it in ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

Yep, been a member there for a good few years now - http://realta-eireann.deviantart.com

There's some great people on there, of course there's loads of kids there, too, but I just tend not to look at that stuff (anime etc - makes my skin crawl).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Just signed up today, I got a Canon EOS 500D two weeks ago and have been trying to get the hang of the whole photography thing since, so I welcome any feedback - http://jgalvin.deviantart.com/

Advertisement