Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got Offers today

Options
  • 31-07-2009 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭

I unexpectedly got an offer for a college place today. I applied with a previous years leaving results through the CAO.

I was expecting to be competing against applicants from this years leaving cert (with their results out on the 12th?) :confused:

Anyone know how this system works?

It dosnt seem fair. Those applying with a previous years leaving cert are at an advantage??

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,676 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, that doesn't seem right. Were your points well above the previous year's average for that course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭S-Murph

Im not sure what the average was for the course. But my points were above the last two years cutoff points.

Just looking at the CAO website there. It might have been a "Round Zero". http://www.cao.ie/apply.php?page=myapp

From the tcd site:

Round Zero:

In early August there may be a small number of offers of places which go to certain categories of applicant who are not awaiting current year examination results or who are assessed on other criteria, e.g. mature applicants.
    • Offer Date: 31 st July, 2009 from 06:00
    • Reply Date: 6 th August, 2009 by 17:15
    http://www.tcd.ie/orientation/pre-arrival/key-dates/

Well this seems to have been the case with me. I dont see how this is fair at all though. It means that if a person puts off applying for college for a year, then they have an advantage on the basis that they are not 'waiting on their leaving cert results' and so do not have to compete with those who are.

Bizzare! :confused:

I wont complain though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

When did you do your leaving cert?
    I did mine last year and didnt get a round zero offer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭XXNikXX

Maybe it just depends on what course you applied for, ive also applied with my leaving cert results from last year but haven't been offered anything yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

yep thats what ive been telling myself the last few days :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭gillo_100

AFAIK some courses will have a certain number of places allocated just to mature/not just leaving cert students. So it could be something like this where you aren't actually competing against this years LC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭S-Murph

dragonfly! wrote: »
    When did you do your leaving cert?
    I did mine last year and didnt get a round zero offer

I did my leaving in 05 or 06.

Maybe it has to be 2 or more years to get round zero offers. Or the course thats chosen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 andymaq

Yeah I did my LC in 2007 and got an offer the other day for IADT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

did my lc in 2003, have double the points needed for my course. lets pray the post man brings me some luck on my birthday today!
    would love to find out now rather than waiting another 2 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭CZ 453

You should know already if you got in.Are you a mature?If not and you havent received a round zero off then you wont get an offer till 16th August

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

Did my leaving cert in 07 and haven't heard a thing from Cao. Should I be worrying?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

Nemanrio wrote: »
    Did my leaving cert in 07 and haven't heard a thing from Cao. Should I be worrying?

No, don't worry. I applied for the course I'm on after I did my leaving and I got my offer on the same day as the LC applicants. Hope you get in.

Advertisement