Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halp! Homepage Greeting Image

Options
  • 31-07-2009 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭

Hey gang,
    so im tidying my site at the moment, and i was thinking of editing the image thats the Homepage Greeting.
    I made the original myself, but now i think it needs an update.

Has anyone any ideas?

http://www.nerinonline.com/ is the site.

The image is roughly 724 x 521 pixels.

This is the current image:
    86663.jpg

and ive attached some of the images i edited up to this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

while i do hate to BUMP, 59 views in and no one has ideas? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Well, to be honest, I'd go for a complete re-design.

Its looks very dated. The blue with the writing needs to go, and replaced by something cleaner, and I'm not a huge fan of the main background image - its a little too strong to span the entire page, and makes anything over it difficult to distinguish.

Maybe a lighter colour for the image, but less opaque?

The speech bubble looks a little unfinished, it would benefit from a radial gradient thoughout and maybe a slight drop shadow. Its also very rough around the edges (though I dont know if thats just from the pic you posted) - or indeed if you'll still be using it.

I see from going to your site, the image only takes up a small amount of space on the page - so you should have something that fits in with the total design of the webpage - currently it just looks like a random image plonked in the middle of the page.

Is there anyway you could have the background image span the entire page? (with the menu bars and other elements on top) or do you literally have to work with the small image area in the middle?

I see from going to your site, the image only takes up a small amount of space on the page - so you should have something that fits in with the total design of the webpage - currently it just looks like a random image plonked in the middle of the page.

Is there anyway you could have the background image span the entire page? (with the menu bars and other elements on top) or do you literally have to work with the small image area in the middle?
    cheers for the reply :)
    i agree with your points, hence wanting to do something about it.

I have no idea if i can do that, i'll ask some of my more technical friends if they know how, because im a complete site making noob. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Total redesign needed IMO (I mean from both a visual and information architecture point of view). After viewing the site I have no idea what you are trying to promote or what the purpose of the site is!

Sorry if that seems a bit harsh.

mood wrote: »
    Total redesign needed IMO (I mean from both a visual and information architecture point of view). After viewing the site I have no idea what you are trying to promote or what the purpose of the site is!

Sorry if that seems a bit harsh.
    yeah, im asking about visual design here, not content. im not promoting anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

In my professional opinion as well as a total redesign the user need to know what the site is about. I spent a few minutes on it and still have no idea what it is about. Unless you address this nobody will spend time on the site.

I'd suggest getting a graphic designer to design the site.

Advertisement