Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warrior's Run - Boards Team?

Options
  • 31-07-2009 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭

I'm going to sign up for this race. There's 742 out of the 800 places gone. About 30 people have signed up since yesterday.

Any interest in putting in a Boards team? All you have to do is put "Boards AC" in the team name field in registration details.

http://www.warriorsfestival.com/content/register-online

Or an IMRA team?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭daraghmack

I have signed up already for this, my first big run .... looking forward to it, how is training going for you??

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭leana

i've signed up aswell, never ran a race before except for a sprint triathlon a few weeks ago.

anyone got any good tips for hill training. i'm getting the distance ok except for shin splints. i drove some of the route today and there are some serious hills before you even get onto the mountain section.

P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Hey Leana,

There's another thread with lots of tips and advice.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055484066

775 registered!

Only 25 places left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

I just took a look at the map and elevation - Jesus wept!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

leana wrote: »
    i've signed up aswell, never ran a race before except for a sprint triathlon a few weeks ago.

anyone got any good tips for hill training. i'm getting the distance ok except for shin splints. i drove some of the route today and there are some serious hills before you even get onto the mountain section.

P

Hi Leana, a good session at this stage: Find a big steep offroad hill. Run 5k easy before climbing the hill. Walk the hill with hands on knees. Run down and run 5k again after.

The sprint triathlon is a good one to have done. Keep up the cycling---great for the hills. On the day run steadily and within yourself out to the first climb after 4k (glen road). This is the start of a climb the whole way to the summit cairn. Once you go offroad its walk the steep bits, run the flatter bits walk the steep bits etc until you get to the top. Then its run home. You MUST be relatively fresh at the bottom of the glen road.

The steep hill walking is great to practice because thats exactly waht youll be doing on the day.

If youre based in Sligo you can Park at the mountain carpark. Run 2.5 k around towards strandhill and same back (5k). Run/walk up the tourist path to queen maeves and back down. 5k again on the road, finish at carpark. For the second 5k try and pick up the pace during it. Its hard to do after running down mountain but better to get used to it before the race.

Slow down a wee bit before starting the ascents and ease into the flat after the descent too.

Best of luck with it. There should be some good downhilling at the party afterwards too!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,894 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Best of luck with it to everyhone..

Not an easy run at all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I was actually looking at this a while back but put it to the back of my mind because I didn't fancy travelling to Sligo on my own. Don't think I'd be ready for it now though.

daraghmack wrote: »
    I have signed up already for this, my first big run .... looking forward to it, how is training going for you??

Training's been good for the last two weeks (diabolical before then!). Just trying to get some mileage into the legs before Gaelforce and The Warrior's Run. I also do most of the IMRA runs that are organised and they're great for getting you used to the steep terrain.

Entries are sold out! T-Runner said it would sell out this weekend and it did!

• Advertisement
Advertisement