Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brewing Problem

• 31-07-2009 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Second time round, the beer is still not tasting the best!
    I tried brewing the Cooper's Cerveza Beer second time around.

Once again, the beer fizzes up wildly. And it gives leaves you with a sick stomach after one bottle!

There is also a sugar sedimant on the bottom of the bottles too... Even though a greatly reduced the amount of sugar i added at bottling!

I will attach pictures of the bottle perhaps if that will help.

Would it help if i left the beer for a few hours in the bottle before capping?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

dooleygav wrote: »
    Second time round, the beer is still not tasting the best!
    I tried brewing the Cooper's Cerveza Beer second time around.
    My experience is that this is an awful kit. Kit "lagers" are always going to be terrible. Try making an ale or a stout instead: you'll get much better results.
    Once again, the beer fizzes up wildly.
    Are you sure the gravity had reached a constant level before you bottled? How much sugar are you using to prime?
    There is also a sugar sedimant on the bottom of the bottles too
    Are you sure it's sugar and not yeast? Yeast is to be expected.
    Would it help if i left the beer for a few hours in the bottle before capping?
    No, the fizz is only created once the cap goes on, when the residual yeast eats the priming sugar and turns it into CO2 under pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 dooleygav

Maybe it is yeast, its in every bottle.... I assumed it was sugar...

I really only like lager so thats what i want to brew,

Is Wheat beer any good?...

It has been pretty dissappointing to be honest so far...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Maybe it is yeast, its in every bottle.... I assumed it was sugar...
    No, that's yeast. It keeps the beer fresh and alive. And full of vitamin B which you won't get from filtered commercial beer.
    I really only like lager so thats what i want to brew
    Without some fairly involved temperature control gear you'll never be able to make a beer like commercial lager at home. The "lager" kits are really blonde ales, and are generally quite poor. If you move on to extract brewing -- using actual hops and grains -- you can make some good blonde ales, but they'll always be yeasty, and fruity and generally, well, ale.

If all you want is fizzy yellow lager then you're better off buying it pre-made.
    Is Wheat beer any good?...
    Commercial wheat beer, yes: your Schneider Weiss, your Hoegaarden and the like. Kit wheat beers I've tasted have pretty much all been rank. Basically, the paler a beer, the harder it is to do well.
    It has been pretty dissappointing to be honest so far...
    Pick your styles and know your limits is all I can say. And practice. I'd recommend trying a light bitter kit -- something like Woodforde's Wherry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 dooleygav

Right, okay, i might try an ale next...

Thanks for the advice!! I Shall keep trying!!

Advertisement