Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway's finest movie moment?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Haha, I remember when part of henry st. was closed off for this, though I didnt see the filming.
    I see its on amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Bloodfist-8-Hard-Way-Out/dp/B00005B1ZV
    Im gonna order a copy, should go great with a few beers & mates

edit: Dont suppose theres any shops selling it in town?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭lovelyhome

This post has been deleted.

lovelyhome wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Aye, I dont know how much of the film is galway, foxerella would know. IMDB have galway listed as the primary shoot location

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Foxerella

Yes, whole movie was shot here in about 1996, by concorde studios. Parts of galway doubled for the states, before the story moves to ireland.
    I managed to get this from someone who got it from some galway head, who bought it in Hawaii, of all places:)

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Nope nope Nope..not by a long shot..
    The North Sea Hijack from 1979 with Rodger Moore.
    I came round the corner of the docks one morning and thought I was in another country :D
    They had changed all the signs on the buildings etc....:D

• Advertisement

I remember it well. Anthony Perkins passed me at Mervue Church bus stop on way to town. No Joke, Him & rest of cast were staying in Corrib Great Southern at the time. Great Flick,

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Foxerella wrote: »
    I remember it well. Anthony Perkins passed me at Mervue Church bus stop on way to town. No Joke, Him & rest of cast were staying in Corrib Great Southern at the time. Great Flick,

Yep met a lot of the cast & crew up town during the making of the film, kinda cool to see these folks walking round shop street...

Hotwheels wrote: »
    I came round the corner of the docks one morning and thought I was in another country :D

Excellent!. Just had a look at the film and took a few sceenshots and posted them in the 'Old Galway' thread. The film looks half decent too, Im gonna watch it through sometime over the weekend.

Anymore Galway movies? :)

Edit: IMDB actually list films by location of shooting
    http://www.imdb.com/List?endings=on&&locations=Galway%20City,%20County%20Galway,%20Ireland&&heading=18;with+locations+including;Galway%20City,%20County%20Galway,%20Ireland
    One not listed is a recent enough one, Marley & Me. Which was shot out in Roundstone, though I haven't seen it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

The scene in the shop from "Hard Way Out" was filmed in a shop in Inverin, Co. Galway. I remember because when I was 15 I walked about 2 miles to the bloody thing one evening and it was closed and made to look all american. Had to do without any bon-bons that night!

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Thay made 8 of these films?! :eek::)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭EJLL

Hard Way Out is so bad it's entertaining. I lent it to a friend and she passed it on to someone else and I haven't seen it since. Typical!

Hector is in it at one point playing one of the Gardai. He manages to look even more of a muppet than usual.

They filmed the Medicine School entrance by Shantalla and tried to pass it off as some bureau in L.A. :D

And the worker in the sweet shop in the Cornstore pulls out a shotgun when a fight breaks out in the store. Galway in the 90's..... sure it was mental!

It is quite interesting to see a shot of the docks and see how much it has changed since the mid-90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Bad Karma staring Patsy Kensit and Patrick Muldoon. Filmed on location in St. Enda's Secondary School, god I remember the excitement.

Looks like complete cack.

Edit: Here's a clip of the film I found on YouTube;

Any past students will recognise the classrooms. First time since the war they got a lick of paint.

EJLL wrote: »

Hector is in it at one point playing one of the Gardai. He manages to look even more of a muppet than usual.

How did I forget to mention that earlier. The state of him!

That Patsy Kensit film looks Ace.
    what about this classic, this i gotta see

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Can't wait for this film!
    Plot summary for Honeymoon in Galway (2011)

A young American stunt woman joins her reckless brother, his uptight bride, and their daughters by previous marriages on an ill-fated honeymoon at the Galway Races in Ireland, to fulfill a deathbed promise to her mother. (Adapted from the award-winning stage play.) Written by Mary Anne McGarry

IMDB Linky!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Hotwheels wrote: »
    I was drinking with a chap last night who helped them out with boats for filming that.

Roger Corman shot a spate of films in the mid-late 90s in this part of the world, thanks to various "tax efficiencies" and grants. Those who remember the almighty Blizzard of Odd will remember that Corman flicks made up a large part of their "Made in Ireland" segment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Yeah Corman shot a lot of direct to video films around Galway when Concorde studios was on the go.

bigeasyeah wrote: »
    Thay made 8 of these films?! :eek::)

They actually made 9 of them. Many of them would have been retitled to Bloodfist films in a bid to attract more attention and sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

A lot of folks I know will be SO embarrassed with this zombie thread!:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Bad Karma staring Patsy Kensit and Patrick Muldoon. Filmed on location in St. Enda's Secondary School, god I remember the excitement.

Looks like complete cack.

Edit: Here's a clip of the film I found on YouTube;

Any past students will recognise the classrooms. First time since the war they got a lick of paint.

That's hilarious :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Alfred the Great, filmed over the road from Kilchreest National School.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9m8HVhIOt8

I remember seeing them shoot one of the scenes in the OP.

The bit where you have a police car coming up an alley was shot on Kirwans lane.

I got given out to for walking across the set - I was looking at the action and not at the cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

I remember a movie being made in Salthill in the 80's. It was called something like "Reffer and the Model".

Anyone remember it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

What was that one filmed out Joyce Country and Cong and the like? Yer man,Liberty Valance was in it? The name has left me!:D:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Carraig

ErnieBert wrote: »
    I remember a movie being made in Salthill in the 80's. It was called something like "Reffer and the Model".

Anyone remember it?

Yes, it was called "Reefer and The Model" and half the town was in it.
    It was to be shown at the Film Fleadh lst month open air in Eyre Square but it never came off:
    Moving from classic Irish comedy to classic Irish drama the Fleadh is excited to offer a rare screening of Joe Comerford’s excellent Reefer and the Model, the tale of a prostitute, an ex-republican, a disenchanted criminal and a gay man that come to form an unorthodox ‘family’ in 1980’s Ireland. Reefer and the Model is rare gem of an Irish film that successfully mixes romance, comedy, thriller and politics, and one deserving of a wider audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Criminal Affairs!! What a P.O.S! There was another movie that was about some magical six pack...the guy that played the garda in the old kit kat ads was in it...terrible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Foxerella wrote: »
    what about this classic, this i gotta see

Oh my god! @ 3.39 - its the parochial house on craggy island!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Carraig wrote: »
    Yes, it was called "Reefer and The Model" and half the town was in it.
    It was to be shown at the Film Fleadh lst month open air in Eyre Square but it never came off:
    Moving from classic Irish comedy to classic Irish drama the Fleadh is excited to offer a rare screening of Joe Comerford’s excellent Reefer and the Model, the tale of a prostitute, an ex-republican, a disenchanted criminal and a gay man that come to form an unorthodox ‘family’ in 1980’s Ireland. Reefer and the Model is rare gem of an Irish film that successfully mixes romance, comedy, thriller and politics, and one deserving of a wider audience.

Ah yes! Ray McBride was in that one. I remember it being a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I remember that being filmed, I used to live in Shantalla when I was in college. The med school had a "Federal Building" sign. I never knew what the film was though, so thanks, for this, I'll try and get a copy!

EJLL wrote: »
    Hard Way Out is so bad it's entertaining. I lent it to a friend and she passed it on to someone else and I haven't seen it since. Typical!

They filmed the Medicine School entrance by Shantalla and tried to pass it off as some bureau in L.A. :D

And the worker in the sweet shop in the Cornstore pulls out a shotgun when a fight breaks out in the store. Galway in the 90's..... sure it was mental!

It is quite interesting to see a shot of the docks and see how much it has changed since the mid-90's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 ms flywheel

I think I was in one of these films, as a background person. When I was in school, they filled the playground with their trucks and filmed there at night. They were filming around the back of the CSI building and in the car park of The River Inn. It was class but then again I was only 9 years old.

Advertisement