Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with baby Swallows

Options
  • 31-07-2009 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

It is a stormy, wet, foggy, miserable evening here in Waterford. One of the swallows nests that was attached to our house collapsed and 2 young swallows fell to the ground. They are very young but one is bigger & stronger than the other.

We have them both side by side here in the kitchen with us, with tissue around them.

What can we do to keep them alive? I am going to feed them milked bread in a while to get some food into them. Putting them back into the nest is not an option as the nest no longer exists and was some 30 feet up.

Any ideas please? Is there anywhere I can bring them to?

Here is a photo of the two birds.

Swallows.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Look like house martins. Maybe a make shift ledge nearby might bring the parents back to feed them if there are no cats or crows about. I think it will be difficult to sustain them as they are insect eaters. They look close to fully fledged. A few more days and they will be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Afraid they are not going to make it. Just natures way of telling the parents that their nest was past its sell by date. You could try putting them out on a ledge, as suggested, but they are probably already away from their parents for too long. Sorry not to be more positive. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Thank you for coming back to me.

They are both fine and the bigger one is chirping away as I write this. They are huddled beside each other and look very cosy in their temporary accomodation. They have tissue under them and I also cover them with tissue to help keep them warm.

I tried to get some milk soaked bread into them without success.

I am going to build a bird box for them in the morning and raise it as high as I can close to the other nests. But I will not be able to get it as high.

The bigger lad is chirping away. The smaller one has made only one small chirp. I am more optimistic about the bigger one surviving but I'd love to see the two of them make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

You should get in touch with your nearest animal welfare centre and they should be able to either take them from you or point you in the direction of who could.

Do not give them bread soaked with milk, milk is harmful to birds as it can give them the runs which dehydrates them badly, especially young birds, and they cannot digest it properly. Young birds get their moisture from insects brought by the adult birds.

If you want, you can get mini mealworms from a petshop and see if they will take that.

I would brace yourself for them not making it though, as they are hours without moisture and food, not to mention the shock factor. The adults will not spend much time in the area once they cannot find their nest and young.

I hope I am wrong though and that you get a nestbox of some sort up and the adults hear the large one cheeping and come back.

Kess - I had already given them bread soaked in milk already today and you are right about the runs.

The nearest pet store is a 1 hour drive and it is already 7pm on a Saturday evening. Not a hope in hell of getting there on time.

I built a small box for them this morning and placed it as high to the other nests as I could (5 metre distance). The other birds did not come to their rescure. I took them back in this evening.

If I collected some bugs outside and fed those to them - could that work?

• Advertisement

Dummy wrote: »
    Kess - I had already given them bread soaked in milk already today and you are right about the runs.

The nearest pet store is a 1 hour drive and it is already 7pm on a Saturday evening. Not a hope in hell of getting there on time.

I built a small box for them this morning and placed it as high to the other nests as I could (5 metre distance). The other birds did not come to their rescure. I took them back in this evening.

If I collected some bugs outside and fed those to them - could that work?

You could try getting some insects and then mashing the insects up, but at this hour of the evening those little chick's body clock will be saying it is sleepy time. If they have had a bad dose of the runs then they will be badly dehydrated now and could be damaged internally. Whatever you do, do not try to pour drops of water into their beaks. You could also leave a tiny bit of water in the box with them, but don't cover them in tissues if you do that. Maybe a jamjar lid with a very small amount of water.

From your pictures they look a few days of full feeding from the parents shy of fledging, so I think they were quite unlucky in terms of the timing of the nest falling down.

Do not keep checking on them at night either, just place them in a dry, dark place and leave them in peace until the morning.

I am not surprised that the adults did not come back as they would have checked last night for the missing nest and chicks and not finding them, they have most likely moved on.

Just be aware that about 90% of all hand reared wild birds, that are found like your guys were, die. Most often through no fault of the kind hearted person that tried to help them. They may have suffered internal injuries from the impact of the nest falling and will be missing their mother's heat at night.

Birdwatch Ireland can be contacted at Tel: 353 (0)1 2819878. Most likely they are not there now but worth a buzz. Your nearest animal welfare centre would have been my first port of call. If you get no joy tonight do try the number again tomorrow and defo find out where your nearest animal welfare centre is and make a point in contacting them. I have had some dealings with the one nearest to me and they do an amazing job of trying to care for both domestic and wild animals in need.

051 841091 is the Waterford animal welfare number. They do deal with birds.

085 7450711 and 087 6551152 are the out of hour numbers for any animal needing urgent help.

http://waterfordanimalwelfare.com/index.htm

Kess - Thank you.

We called one of those numbers and they are very interested to hear of our birds.

We are to call them again in the morning and arrange to meet someone who will take them and take care of them. We will be happy that someone who knows what they are doing will be taking care of them.

The two of them of chirping away in their box behind me at the moment. They seem happy.

Thanks again.

That is great news. They will have the facilities to heat and feed the birds, and thanks to you taking the birds in and contacting the Animal welfare centre the little guys might get the chance to take flight in a week or two.

Please keep the thread up to date on any news you get back on their progress, I would love to hear how they get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

they are probably housemartins alright although the photo does look like it could be a swallow. House martins nest on ledges outside in nests resembling packed mud. and swallows generally nest inside sheds, eaves etc.

• Advertisement

Well, we still have the birds. It appears we will have them until Tuesday. They appear to be doing fine. The younger of the two has adapted better than the other one to living life with us. When I go towards him with food at the end of the tweezers, his mouth opens automatically and lets me empty the tweezers into his mouth. The older one takes a bit of encouragment to eat. But they are eating and their food is moist.

They appear to be more at ease with us. When we found them initially, they would tremble in the hand - obviously very frightened. But now, there's no trembling.

Is it ok to wash them down with a damp sponge? They have become quite dirty since we found them. I imagine Mammy must clean them down in the nest.

We are concerned about the younger one. We feel that he must have been injured from the fall. His right side does not appear as strong as his left. But we are hoping that it is just that he is so young.

James - your description of the nest is spot on. Their nest is made of mud stuck to beneath the eaves of the roof. There were two nests that collapsed - so I don't think the two birds we have are siblings.

Anyway, they sound happy tonight again. They are chirping away behind me here in the kitchen and listening to the GAA results on the radio with me. They seem to enjoy the roar of the crowd from Croke Park - they chirp louder. They must be Tyrone supporters !!

There's another storm coming off the sea again tonight - I hope none of the other nests collapse but I'll go out and check during the evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Well, you must be doing something right. I'm amazed that they are still alive. Keep posting won't you! Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Esmeralda34

Hey Dummy

Unfortunately I can't offer any advice but just wanted to drop a line to wish you and the little birds the very best of luck.

Please do keep us posted on how the little guys get on.

All the best

Es

Thank you Es.

I have to say that they are lovely and we really want them to survive. The younger one especially really is at ease with us.

Dummy wrote: »
    Well, we still have the birds. It appears we will have them until Tuesday. They appear to be doing fine. The younger of the two has adapted better than the other one to living life with us. When I go towards him with food at the end of the tweezers, his mouth opens automatically and lets me empty the tweezers into his mouth. The older one takes a bit of encouragment to eat. But they are eating and their food is moist.

They appear to be more at ease with us. When we found them initially, they would tremble in the hand - obviously very frightened. But now, there's no trembling.

Is it ok to wash them down with a damp sponge? They have become quite dirty since we found them. I imagine Mammy must clean them down in the nest.

We are concerned about the younger one. We feel that he must have been injured from the fall. His right side does not appear as strong as his left. But we are hoping that it is just that he is so young.

James - your description of the nest is spot on. Their nest is made of mud stuck to beneath the eaves of the roof. There were two nests that collapsed - so I don't think the two birds we have are siblings.

Anyway, they sound happy tonight again. They are chirping away behind me here in the kitchen and listening to the GAA results on the radio with me. They seem to enjoy the roar of the crowd from Croke Park - they chirp louder. They must be Tyrone supporters !!

There's another storm coming off the sea again tonight - I hope none of the other nests collapse but I'll go out and check during the evening.

You are doing a great job with them. You have really given them a fighting chance. Is there a Petmania or similar anywhere near you? I ask because they sell mealworm. If they do, then try to pick up a packet of live mealworm. Should be 4 euro for a packet.

I get them every week from a local petshop along with waxworm for my garden birds, many of who handfeed.

If you do get them, then either chop them in half, or mash them, and feed with a tweezer.

When you say the chicks are dirty, what do you mean? Is it poo, or dust?

Generally if it is poo, then the adult birds, gather it and throw it from the nest. What you may have is a build up after the milky bread gave them the runs when you first got them.

I would be reluctant to use a sponge as they are very delicate, and would lose a lot of body heat in trying to dry. But if they are very dirty, move them and clean the area they sleep in and get fresh bedding. If you have a misting spray, like used for plants, then use that with a very fine mist setting. Use very little water, barely enough to dampen them slightly, and do not use hot/warm water as it can have zinc in it which will harm feathers.

To not use a hiardryer near them to dry them, as it can burn them badly. Just carefully use a fine cloth/towel. If they get wet and cold it would cause them to use too much energy to warm up and it could finish them.

Hey Dummy

How are the little guys doing??

Es

Hi Es,

Sadly the younger one died yesterday morning just before 9am. He had been chirping away at 5.30am when we were having the breakfast.

He fed very well and did not appear distressed at all - appeared to be breathing well. I fed him again two hours later before I went out to do a few jobs outside and again he appeared fine. My wife called me in when she had gone to check on the birds and had found the wee bird dead.

I followed the advice from Kess & the older bird was delivered to the animal welfare people today. They were delighted to see him and I guess, surprised that he had survived. I just hope that he does survive and I think he will. My wife asked them to call or email us when they are going to release him into the wild. I don't know if they would want to release him near his own colony when that time comes.

We did become very attached to the birds, especially our children. But I am glad the children experienced the two birds, as I think they now have a better appreciation for wildlife around us and there is plenty of it around this house. We have three pheasants in the bushes about 20 metres from the house and they usually visit the french doors to our bedroom most mornings tapping on the glass - the kids go out and feed some grain to them. There was a pup fox in our garden two nights ago and there are hares galore and of course a colony of house martins.

I'll let you all know when I hear anything more from the animal welfare people. Thank you Kess and everyone all for the advice and help over the past few days.

Mile Buiochas,

D.

It is a shame that the little guy died, but it was the runt and even without the nest falling the odds were against it. You did a great job keeping them both going as long as you did, and the larger one now has a chance.

I really hope that the animal welfare centre can care for it and get it to fledge.

What might be an idea is to get some bird feeders for your garden and then your family and you can enjoy many different visitors. You would be surprised at how many different species would arrive if you had two or three feeders with a different food in each, plus a bird bath would bring birds to both drink and bathe.

It must have been a great experience for your kids to see wildlife up close, and for yourself. I think that you can feel proud of yourself over this, you did for a pair of helpless birds what most people would not have done.

Hi Dummy

Ah, I am so sorry to hear the smaller fella died, it must have been gutting especially when you think you're out of the woods and that he was coming on well. A real shame. At least you know you gave it your all and that he died after few days of warmth, loving and feeding, rather than out in the cold and in shock.

Really delighted to hear that his companion is coming along well though. A heartening tale...

All the very best Dummy and let us know if you hear anything more.

Es

Advertisement