Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movies/TV filmed in Clare

• 31-07-2009 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭

One of my friends was telling me there was a Disney TV movie filmed in Ennis in 1969 called Guns in The Heather. St. Flannans features heavily apparently.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063039/releaseinfo#akas

Starring Kurt Russell. :D

Can't link directly obviously due to board rules but there's a torrent if you Google it. I'll report back with details when I've watched it.

In the mean time, Paul Newman in a car chase around the burren.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hfSunuwSfc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭drunken_munky52

One of my friends was telling me there was a Disney TV movie filmed in Ennis in 1969 called Guns in The Heather. St. Flannans features heavily apparently.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063039/releaseinfo#akas

Starring Kurt Russell. :D

Have it on video cassette, or VHS to todays generation.

Would not Flannans is in it heavily. Its in it for like less than 2 minutes at the start. There is a car chase, and they use the the entrance of Dromoland castle go go into the fictional school "Leinster House", which is played by Flannans. Once they reach the front car park of Flannans there is a shoot out and Kurt Russel is 16 playing hurling while it happens.

There is later a stake out on Oconnel street and they sneak over the wall into the Old Ground (a bit daft considering there os a big gate right besde them)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

The Cliffs of Moher are in the new Harry Potter film

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭georgem25

The Serpents Kiss was filmed in Sixmilebridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭asmobhosca

my personal favourite is when in Father Ted the priests get stuck in the lingerie section of a store. The store used was dunnes in ennis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beN7FftWNCM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

There was some local movie they had on in the Empire Movieplex maybe 10 years ago. My parents went to see it but I missed it. They said it was pretty entertaining. They had photographs from the 30's or whenever and they'd hunted down people who were still alive and had them tell stories about who they were. In one of the pictures the fella couldn't recognise the person but he remembered the donkey.

Bit of a vague description I know but I heard this stuff 2nd hand.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Was that the 1 about the guy that was in the Olympics or something?

Also, I think a John Wayne movie was filmed back west

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Think some scenes of ryans daughter were filmed at the bridges of ross. There are some steel bolts and rings attached to the rocks which I heard were used for attaching cameras or lighting gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Teadrinker

There was some local movie they had on in the Empire Movieplex maybe 10 years ago. My parents went to see it but I missed it. They said it was pretty entertaining. They had photographs from the 30's or whenever and they'd hunted down people who were still alive and had them tell stories about who they were. In one of the pictures the fella couldn't recognise the person but he remembered the donkey.

Bit of a vague description I know but I heard this stuff 2nd hand.

What you mention must be the documentary 'Photos to Send'...see details below. I'd love to see it. Maybe if someone knows someone in Glor they would ask them to show it sometime.

"In 1954, world-renowned photographer Dorothea Lange traveled to County Clare, Ireland on assignment for LIFE magazine. Using what Dennis Wylde, a local photographer in Clare who assisted Lange, describes as “God’s light,” she took more than 2400 photographs, creating a lasting record of a rural life that would soon disappear. Nearly a half century later, using the photographs and notes gathered from Lange’s archive, Irish-American director Deirdre Lynch retraced Lange’s steps, traveling country roads, searching. She found many of Lange’s original subjects, and they welcomed her into their houses—and their lives, just as they had welcomed Lange forty-four years earlier.
    Original musical score by Martin Hayes and Dennis Cahill"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Was 'the boys and girl of county clare' filmed in clare? Just saw an ad for it on rte/tv3 a while back but forgot to watch it. Was curious about it though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

Was 'the boys and girl of county clare' filmed in clare? Just saw an ad for it on rte/tv3 a while back but forgot to watch it. Was curious about it though.

Not sure where it was filmed but it is shockingly poor! Watched the first 20 mins of it a couple of years ago....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭supersheeps

Ironically enough, it was filmed in the Isle of Man, when it was on the other night, I kept shouting "What's wrong with Clare scenery, huh?!" at the tv:rolleyes: Shocking film...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Ironically enough, it was filmed in the Isle of Man, when it was on the other night, I kept shouting "What's wrong with Clare scenery, huh?!" at the tv:rolleyes: Shocking film...

Better Tax exemptions in the Isle of Man :(

Fr. Ted was film in Clare. Most of the outside shoots were in Clare, at least thats what I thought.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Elmo wrote: »
    Better Tax exemptions in the Isle of Man :(

Fr. Ted was film in Clare. Most of the outside shoots were in Clare, at least thats what I thought.
    And Ireland's largest Lingere Department is actually Dunnes in Ennis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Clareman wrote: »

True, one of the biggest tourist attractions in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭eddiehobbs

http://www.hollywood.com/movie/Knuckleball/173355

There was some filming done for this in clare IIRC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Amy33

Clareman wrote: »

That's not true...

trish990 wrote: »
    That's not true...
    In Father Ted World it is :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭randombar

Think my Dad is in one of these shots, he remembers playing anyways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBXZXuni77k

He was in some other movie, Send us your poor, or give us your poor, think it was renamed to the unwanted or something? Anyone know anything about this one??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

Guns in The Heather, which was filmed on location in Clare and Galway in the late 60s, will be shown at The Clare Museum, Ennis on Sat. Oct. 15th at 2 PM. Free admission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 lahinch_lass

the new Asterix & obleix was filming in the Burren back in september.. it'll be a bit like braveheart for the boys of clare trying to spot themselves in it.
    Seems every fella I know under the age of 35 who is from north west clare was an extra in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭willow tree

the burren inspired jrr tolkien to write the lord of the rings.. but obviously it wasnt filmed here, i can understand, it has a middle earth feel to it.. magical place...
    apparently leap year with amy adams has a clip from cliffs and i remember aiden quinn saying 'song for a raggy boy' was filmed in clare but i cant find anything to back that up, does anyone know?

oh and me and paul newman were both in the burren, beautiful man:D

Advertisement