Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAMA - 90 Billion to our national debt. Accountants, Lawyers & Bankers get rich

Options
  • 31-07-2009 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭

Looking at NAMA this is the great tribunal like scam of our generation (in my thirties). We are going to have our lost generation much like Japan's of the 90's, all the plebs pay high taxes while the connected elite reinvent their lost wealth of the last 2 years through NAMA.

I am attempting to start this thread because does anyone not see what is happening. This makes Charlie Haughey look like a saint; remember he only recalled the dail to save 1 of his friends: Larry Goodman, this is the FF tent taken to another level all together.

How will we all get done: FEES.

Remember all those tribunals, the lawyers, accountants and investigators made their fortunes through fees, the same will happen here, it will be under the radar and build up slowly but mark my words (you can print this post off tonight and date it) in 20 years time billions of euros will be paid to accountants (like Ernest and Young: Anglo Irish Auditors), lawyers, bankers, estate agents, engineers and who ever else is well connected for the contracts of management out of NAMA.

This is the army deafness, compo culture job of our generation and not one opposition voice has picked up on this fatal weakness in the legislation.

I love this country and work hard for the society I am part of, but I am p****d of with the constant cute huers creaming from the top while I and thousands like me work to sustain their elite lifestyle and the government constantly con the mob with these bailout schemes.

Give me a firesale of assets any day, have the sharp pain over 2 years and be done with it instead of this NAMA, saviour of the elite with their fees.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

I love this country and work hard for the society I am part of, .

Seriously, what's there to love? Not taking the piss, what? Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

What a cracker of a post from Andrewbeechpark and as far as I`m concerned its RIGHT ON THE MONEY :mad:

Even here,at the very commencement of NAMA`s proceedings we read of "Valuation Appeals Procedures" etc etc.
    The entire document appears to reek of pre-installed "consultant-friendly" pathways down which those well connected folks will ramble and draw down "Fees" for it !

The nature and depth to which Irish Public Administration (largely Fíanna Fáil) melded with the Builder/Developer cabal will probably never be fully realized.

Andrewdeerpark is SO correct...This consequence of essentially questionable Public Administration SHOULD be faced up to NOW and whatever hit`s are to be taken should be taken NOW...

NAMA,for all its pretensions as a well thought out response is little more than a combination of a Bookies Shop and a Pawnbrokers......both testimony to the essential optomists guide to the galaxy !!

Some teasers and general pointers such as the Dún Laoighre/Rathdown-Liam Carroll case will,I suspect, have a very short public shelf-life before a constant barrage of postponments,reassignments and yawn inducing interminable deposition hearings finally sweep it all off the media`s coverage list.

This one,like the rest will be sorted quitely,discreetly and with little detail emerging in to the public arena...that is after all how Gentlemen do business ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

The biggest damage is not financial but social. There is little chance of social cohesion when people realise they are being shafted by those in power and their friends. How are the necessary sacrifices going by ordinary people to get the country back on its feet?

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Thank God a response (thank you AlekSmart) at least some folks can see the scam here, I looked through the political forum and saw a weak NAMA posting and thought to myself people did not see what is happening or they just did not care....

We all have to wake up, our generation is smarter (I would like to think so anyway) so hopefully its not to late to stop this beast from being born.

Referring to dresden8 I still love a lot of the people in this country and I am finished with apathy and muttering discontent under my pint in the pub, now is the time to speak out, I have 2 young childern and do not want to see them graduating into our generations mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Referring to dresden8 I still love a lot of the people in this country and I am finished with apathy and muttering discontent under my pint in the pub, now is the time to speak out, I have 2 young childern and do not want to see them graduating into our generations mess.

I have been shouting out for the last 10 years. The celtic tiger cubs I was talking to treated me as an 80's throwback and a heretic. Unfortunately I was proven right and they are stuck in 100k negative equity.

But still, who listens to old fogies? Let them piss off and die and let the young turks take over. Whoever learnt anything from history anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

You are on the ball folks.I remember Cowan's scrap thursday address to business types at the RDS in Autumn2008 and how he was praised for his rousing exhortations to accept necessary patriotic sacrifices.He received rapturous applause from a sycophantic audience and gulled media observers. Now we know for certain who will carry the greatest burden.This country is destined for turbulent waters indeed, but guess whose wearing the expensive life jackets...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

What I was alarmed about is that while the comptroller and auditor general has been tasked with inspecting NAMA's books, they won't be carrying out their first review for five years !

This alarms me for two reasons, firstly five years is a very long time especially when some coverage has suggested that NAMA's job will take 7-10 years to complete, so they could be almost finished before the first review takes place. The second reason is that five years will in all likelihood be a couple of years after the next general election(if the government serves their full term), so its possible that really bad news could be buried(or at least not become public knowledge) until after voting is well over. I'd much prefer to see a review every 1-2 years just to ensure that NAMA is working as planned and its actions are safeguarding the taxpayers interests and not building up huge liabilities for the future, while only looking after the interests of the banks and/or property developers.

dresden8 wrote: »
    But still, who listens to old fogies? Let them piss off and die and let the young turks take over. Whoever learnt anything from history anyway?

Some of my best friends are old fogies hence I am in the fortunate position that I am not in negative equity and / or have a house in Bulgaria so not all my generation were caught. I accept your point on history and its lessons rarely learnt... maybe our generation has to suffer such fate!

How did we blow such a run of investment from the 90's and end up with NAMA? Only the protected professions: accountants, lawyers and well connected will prosper in the next 20 years just like old days ... bringing back DeValera days, who knows the catholic church may have a renaissance!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

in 20 years time billions of euros will be paid to accountants (like Ernest and Young: Anglo Irish Auditors), lawyers, bankers, estate agents, engineers and who ever else is well connected for the contracts of management out of NAMA.

What with being an engineer, I'd like to know how I could see some of these billions?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Join Fianna Fail?

Make no mistake - NAMA will be setup to reward the banks as much as possible and to punish ordinary people as much as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

It's sad when you see your country brought to its knees and then see it shot a number of times in the back of the head. I can't see myself being able to sustain myself within the country with it's current resources in the next couple of years, I can see a civil war coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Fianna Fail know this country better than anyone else. They are planning to be re-elected in 2012. There is no civil war coming.

Spudmonkey wrote: »
    What with being an engineer, I'd like to know how I could see some of these billions?? :)

Get with the real engineering program Spudmonkey remember maps will have to be redrawn, boundaries fought over, health & safety, half complete buildings recertified etc

Remember this will all need engineering certification a real gravy train.... not to mention the legal appearence fees for all the court sittings that will happen over these disputed lands.

The people that will make a killing from this system in order are:

1. FF elite and well connected
    2. Accountants and Auditors
    3. Bankers
    4. Legal profession
    4. Engineers

As regards FF being clever, agree with that one however this is the first time an FF government have to clean up (or attempt to) their own mess historically the opposition get a stint in government after FF make unpopular decisions then are voted out next time around, this time is different!

Also great to see we still have some me-feiners in the post, with the suggestion to join FF and feather their own nest to the detriment of the country as a whole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tlev

Sucks that I'm still a student then...no potential billions for me since I'm not part of the club. The only hope that we can have is that if Ireland were to borrow the money because it is 90bn they dont have, whoever they borrow it from has very strict covenants in place detailiing exactly what that money can be spent on etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

4. Legal profession
    The legal profession will return to make another killing at the tribunal set up to investigate NAMA when people realize it was a disaster in 15 or so years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    I can see a civil war coming.
    As if :P

Frankly, we get the politicians we deserve. Look at Fianna Fáiler, Michael "The Stroke" Fahy. He was actually jailed for stealing taxpayers money, yet he subsequently tops the poll in the local elections :eek:

Now look at the public reaction to NAMA. Most people I know will pretty much shrug their shoulders at its inception. Meanwhile, some of these people will be the first on Joe Duffy complaining that the yearly child supplement payment has been reduced. NAMA will end up costing several times more than a few poxy hundred that they're losing from the child supplement payment. Despite this, very little public objection to NAMA.

I'm afraid people are easily fooled and bamboozled by large numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

As if :P

Frankly, we get the politicians we deserve. Look at Fianna Fáiler, Michael "The Stroke" Fahy. He was actually jailed for stealing taxpayers money, yet he subsequently tops the poll in the local elections :eek:

Now look at the public reaction to NAMA. Most people I know will pretty much shrug their shoulders at its inception. Meanwhile, some of these people will be the first on Joe Duffy complaining that the yearly child supplement payment has been reduced. NAMA will end up costing several times more than a few poxy hundred that they're losing from the child supplement payment. Despite this, very little public objection to NAMA.

I'm afraid people are easily fooled and bamboozled by large numbers.

Then we need to dumb it down

NAMA == 10 to 20 An Bord Snip Reports implemented in full (we already have war over 1 with no one wanting the cuts this autumn)

or

NAMA == closing all public infrastructure (Schools,gardai,water) and all services (medical, welfare, grants) everything for 2 years!

:cool:

and for what?

i will never ever ever vote FF or Greens and remind everyone I know before election of the evil and fraud these have commited

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tlev

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    Then we need to dumb it down

NAMA == 10 to 20 An Bord Snip Reports implemented in full (we already have war over 1 with no one wanting the cuts this autumn)

or

NAMA == closing all public infrastructure (Schools,gardai,water) and all services (medical, welfare, grants) everything for 2 years!

:cool:

and for what?

i will never ever ever vote FF or Greens and remind everyone I know before election of the evil and fraud these have commited

Unfortunately you can remind everyone you know until the cows come home and still the majority of the masses are uninformed and clueless about most things happening and blindly accept things shovelled to them by the government. If this wasn't the case we wouldn't have been living well beyond our means and seen that placing all our eggs in the construction basket wasn't a great idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭unwyse

a bit late picking up this thread but hats off to andrewdeerpark, you are right on the money with all of your comments.like yourself i too have children and it breaks my heart to think of their future in this godforsaken country.all of our futures have been sold down the swanee by possibly the most corrupt government in western europe. this shower of cnuts have screwed us forever. something has to give and the sooner we irish people get up off our arses and demand change the better,but as an earlier poster said it'll be the "Talk to Joe "mob who will make loads of noise and achieve nothing. a general strike might be a good place to begin but unfortunately its nearly impossible to get even 2 people to agree on the color white.the politicions have suceeded in their missions to enslave us all by confusion and deception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bluestar87

'We should it all back to Maggie and apologise for the condition of it'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Get with the real engineering program Spudmonkey remember maps will have to be redrawn, boundaries fought over, health & safety, half complete buildings recertified etc

Remember this will all need engineering certification a real gravy train.... not to mention the legal appearence fees for all the court sittings that will happen over these disputed lands.

Engineering is a pretty broad discipline... We don't all certify buildings and draw maps...

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Sand wrote: »
    Fianna Fail know this country better than anyone else. They are planning to be re-elected in 2012. There is no civil war coming.

No truer word, the press and the people will moan and groan and talk of utter rebellion and retaliation however when polling day arrive only 2/3 of the electorate who even bothered to register will even show up, and 40% of those will be FF supporters

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

In this thread: Begrudgers who regret their choice of profession.

andrew wrote: »
    In this thread: Begrudgers who regret their choice of profession.

[FONT=&quot]Obviously part of our professional gentlemen’s class of thieves: (Accountants, Bankers, Lawyers and barristers come to mind) sitting as at the bottom of this NAMA rainbow waiting for you share of the crock of gold while hospitals close, schools fall apart and the lower middle class get squeezed even more by the taxman.

A real patriot! [/FONT]

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

[FONT=&quot]Obviously part of our professional gentlemen’s class of thieves: (Accountants, Bankers, Lawyers and barristers come to mind) sitting as at the bottom of this NAMA rainbow waiting for you share of the crock of gold while hospitals close, schools fall apart and the lower middle class get squeezed even more by the taxman.

A real patriot! [/FONT]

"Obviously part of our professional gentlemen’s class of thieves." :rolleyes:.

So your problem with this whole mess isn't that the government might overpay for assets or something like that....but that they'll have to pay professionals to carry out their plans. What would you prefer they did?

andrew wrote: »
    So your problem with this whole mess isn't that the government might overpay for assets or something like that....but that they'll have to pay professionals to carry out their plans. What would you prefer they did?

Set the price of all fees low in concrete in the initial bill, give the work to graduates (if the professional classes don't like the fees) or emigrants (not to many Polish bankers, barristers & accountants about in the Irish Closed shop) their is plenty of then rolling out of college currently with no jobs and no prospect of one in the near future. Have all fees published on a website weekly and do not allow them claim milking expenses like our tribunals, have a read of Wednesday's article by Kevin Myers:

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/kevin-myers/claiming-expenses-for-a-toblerone-smacks-of-pennypinching-of-the-most-undignified-kind-1844599.html

Give you an idea of one section of fat cat D4 thieves we are up against here, without such safeguards the taxpayer will be ripped slowly and decisively over the next 20 years.

Set the price of all fees low in concrete in the initial bill, give the work to graduates (if the professional classes don't like the fees) or emigrants (not to many Polish bankers, barristers & accountants about in the Irish Closed shop) their is plenty of then rolling out of college currently with no jobs and no prospect of one in the near future. Have all fees published on a website weekly and do not allow them claim milking expenses like our tribunals, have a read of Wednesday's article by Kevin Myers:

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/kevin-myers/claiming-expenses-for-a-toblerone-smacks-of-pennypinching-of-the-most-undignified-kind-1844599.html

Give you an idea of one section of fat cat D4 thieves we are up against here, without such safeguards the taxpayer will be ripped slowly and decisively over the next 20 years.

Its crazy to suggest that people just out of college would have the expertise to deal with such a complicated scheme. The money saved paying them less would probably be an order of magnitude smaller than the amount they would cost the taxpayer through doing a poor job. If there was an earthquake and your house was badly damaged, would you rather pay an experienced professional to fix it, or an apprentice? You're overestimating the number of experienced professionals there are who have the knowledge to do this sort of thing. It's not as if Poland is a hotbed of financial learning. They've been exporting builders, not financial analysts.

And given most people don't have a clue how much these people should be paid to do their job (ie. how much these people are worth) then whats the point in publishing how much they're paid. It'd just give people random figures to bandy about without knowing what they're talking about. I only glanced at Myers' article, because Myers is an idiot. But I agree, frivolous expenses are bad and shouldn't be allowed. But seriously, skimping on how much we pay the people who'll help to fix our economy probably wouldn't be a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭newname

But seriously, skimping on how much we pay the people who'll help to fix our economy probably wouldn't be a good thing.

But the thing is these people will charge big money whether they help the economy or not :(

You're overestimating the number of experienced professionals there are who have the knowledge to do this sort of thing.

You mean the professionals who created this economic mess we are in right now, did not see the property bubble, happy to feed the flames (cheap easy money for all) as long as the fat cat bonuses, pensions, expense accounts etc rolled in, I have no issue giving top graduates a crack at the problem now, they will hardly make it much worse!

Agree in that the Polish financial expertise is not that hectic, I should have said Czech or some of those unemployed from wall street (however they may have the same bad habits as our own lot of elite bankers and auditors).

Anyway the point still stands on fees and stopping the gravy train before it ballons like our tribunals.

• Advertisement

You mean the professionals who created this economic mess we are in right now, did not see the property bubble, happy to feed the flames (cheap easy money for all) as long as the fat cat bonuses, pensions, expense accounts etc rolled in, I have no issue giving top graduates a crack at the problem now, they will hardly make it much worse!

Agree in that the Polish financial expertise is not that hectic, I should have said Czech or some of those unemployed from wall street (however they may have the same bad habits as our own lot of elite bankers and auditors).

Anyway the point still stands on fees and stopping the gravy train before it ballons like our tribunals.

In all seriousness though, top graduates could probably do a significantly worse job than those with experience. Not all financial professionals are as crap as you imagine them to be. Expertise will always come at a premium. I just think that where you see a gravy train there may actually exist a justified premium.

Advertisement