Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [mod warning #11145, #32140 (see OP)]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Rosco1982 wrote: »
    I can't honestly say how the figures are the way they are, but this is an extract from the accounts:

Financial Year Ending 2008 2007 2006
    Purchases 69,966 69,972 41,753
    Sales 29,740 25,946 16,838
    Net Transfer Activity 40,226 44,026 24,915

I'd provide a link but they aren't avaliable freely online, I downloaded PDF's from the Companies House website.

what's our year end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

They're taken straight from the audited accounts of Liverpool Football Club.

It's only as far as July 2008.

Don't know what to say. You yourself know the players that we signed and have a general idea of how much we paid for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think the timing of the Alonso deal is what's really damaging for Liverpool. The new season is almost upon us and it looks like you'll be going into the season a bit depleted unless Rafa has a deal in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Don't know what to say. You yourself know the players that we signed and have a general idea of how much we paid for them.

I was amazed when i first saw them myself. There's either massive discrepancies in what's being reported and what's actually happening or else there's been some change in accounting practice or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

In terms of explaining those numbers, a lot of payments are staggered over the course of two or three seasons, so a "spend" in one year might not reflect the actual spending that year.

They're taken straight from the audited accounts of Liverpool Football Club.

It's only as far as July 2008.

In the 12 months to 31 July 08 we bought the following:

Itandje - undisclosed - as good as NIL
    Insua - 1.3 m
    Skrtel - 6.5m
    Mascherano - 17m
    Degen - 0
    Dossena - 7.5m
    Cavalieri 3.5m
    N'Gog - 1.5m
    Keane - 19m
    TOTAL - 56M

We sold:
    Paletta 1.2m
    Sissoko 8.2m
    Riise 4m
    Kewell NIL
    Le Tallec NIL
    Crouch 11m
    Guthrie 2.25m
    Carson 3.25m
    TOTAL 30M

NET = 26M

I realise that the audited accounts can't be wrong, but something is amiss. I wonder what they exactly mean by Net spend. Because it's very hard to believe these figures are that wrong

I think the timing of the Alonso deal is what's really damaging for Liverpool. The new season is almost upon us and it looks like you'll be going into the season a bit depleted unless Rafa has a deal in mind.

It's a little bit funny that Rafa is guilty this season of the thing he always complained about with Parry. Not getting deals done early.

I don't think we'll go into the season depleted because we've had long enough to prepare for this. Most people expected Xabi to leave this summer so I'm pretty sure Rafa did too. Barry was the obvious first target but we've moved on since then and I've no doubt we'll have someone in by the weekend. (well maybe i have some doubt)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Well theres no concrete evidence of a transfer request, although the two cubs talking right after such heavy speculation about it may be important, I hope he did ask for one. I would rather start this season with no blame for the transfer being attributible to Rafa (altho some may go back to last summer).

Also it means him and Soicead lose out on some payments from the financial pov.

PHB wrote: »
    In terms of explaining those numbers, a lot of payments are staggered over the course of two or three seasons, so a "spend" in one year might not reflect the actual spending that year.

I was thinking that but it still seems very high, unless we're still paying for Cisse and other transfer from back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Would those figures include signing on and agent fees?

• Advertisement

Would those figures include signing on and agent fees?

that's what i was thinking.
    It can't really be just a timing thing or one year would balance out the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

This may be an interesting watch, a tweet from LFCTV
    60 Mins With Bruce Grobbelaar coming soon on LFC TV: Bruce opens up about being a soldier, life at Anfield and the match-fixing scandal. MW

can't see many prying questions being thrown at him though, mores the pity...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

this is the only thing that annoys me about the whole thing; our insistence on getting the best deal possible means we're at risk of being depleted for the start of the season.

we'll have to see what happens this week. i hope, i pray, that deals are in place and ready to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

So can someone tell me if the Xabi deal is gone through, also who is the favorite player to replace him, anyone done any homework on the players.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,597 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

So can someone tell me if the Xabi deal is gone through, also who is the favorite player to replace him, anyone done any homework on the players.

medical is tomorrow. favourite? no one has any real idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Yes, pending a medical. Aquilani looks to be the most likely replacement.

aquilani, poulsen and defour are the rumoured ones. cattermole maybe too, as back up for masch i'd assume.

i wouldn't go near poulsen.
    aquilani and defour, from the little that i've seen, could be promising.
    cattermole, as long as he's an understudy for now, would be a welcome addition imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

rossie1977 wrote: »
    mgm mirage hotels are 95% full every night of the week 24/7, didn't stop them getting into trouble with their debts (they were on the verge of going bankrupt a few months ago), this is a company that brought in $7 billion in revenue last year

arsenal debt as a % of revenue is far greater than mgms

What are you on about? Arsenal are a football club not a hotelier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

If that's Net spend on new players would it not include their wages?
    Which makes a hell of a lot more sense.

For 2008 for instance we're talking the £70,000,000 in Roscos numbers, minus the £26,000,000 in Whatawasters.

That leaves some £45,000,000 for wages and transfer/agent fees.

Makes more sense as I said.

Plus I'm sure it covers expenses like the free apartment players usually get for the first few months, the free car they have use of, the fee to fly them over etc.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

SlickRic wrote: »
    this is the only thing that annoys me about the whole thing; our insistence on getting the best deal possible means we're at risk of being depleted for the start of the season.

we'll have to see what happens this week. i hope, i pray, that deals are in place and ready to go.

Yes, but if they had sold him for the €24 odd million rumoured at the start, we'd be more pissed off and still going on about it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Yes, but if they had sold him for the €24 odd million rumoured at the start, we'd be more pissed off and still going on about it.

oh i agree. i believe we were right to insist.

the fact that that means its late in the day to bring in a replacement is just annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

I personally would like to see cambiasso as xabi's replacement, don't think he would be overly expensive either.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

It's a little bit funny that Rafa is guilty this season of the thing he always complained about with Parry. Not getting deals done early.

I don't think we'll go into the season depleted because we've had long enough to prepare for this. Most people expected Xabi to leave this summer so I'm pretty sure Rafa did too. Barry was the obvious first target but we've moved on since then and I've no doubt we'll have someone in by the weekend. (well maybe i have some doubt)

I have to say I think that's quite unfair - he had wrapped up our business (Johnson) as quickly as possible - it was outside sources and players in the camp dragging their feet that have slowed this down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

PHB wrote: »
    Independently of any views on United, I think it's hard not to say that Liverpool are a weakened team right now.

Who they replace Alonso with is the big question, but if they don't replace him, I fully think its unlikely they'll challenge for the league. Alonso's passing is hugely important against weaker teams. Either they need to get someone in who can do that, or Lucas needs to take a massive step up.

Poulsen is not the player that they need, too defensive. Aquilani is a good player, but imo not in Alonso's class.

Shall be interesting to see what happens now.

He is important, but doesn't add much when at home against the weaker teams, the major criticism of pool last year. While I don't agree with the sale I can see how Rafa weighed it up.

Who replaces him and how he performs is the 6 million dollar question! (outdated figures!)
    SlicRic wrote:
    oh i agree. i believe we were right to insist.

the fact that that means its late in the day to bring in a replacement is just annoying.

It is, but I think Rafa knew there was a big chance of this, I'm sure he has contingency plans.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

While I'm sad(ish) to see Xabi go, I wish him well, and hope he breaks-a-leg in Madrid :) (figuratly of course)

I'm delighted its over though, I'm sick of the speculation.

Now, bring on Aquilani and whoever else to bolster the squad, and roll on Premiership (eventually, its been a long summer!).

I do seriously hope wwe got as close as possible to the requested transfer fee, not only do we need it, but Xabi is worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Is there any chance of Rafa bringing in another striker incase Nando picks up a knock or needs to be rested?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Podge2k7 wrote: »
    Is there any chance of Rafa bringing in another striker incase Nando picks up a knock or needs to be rested?

Depends on the cash really, but I doubt it.

I can see us rolling on Torres, Babel, N'Gog, Voronin and Kuyt at least until Xmas.

Hopefully we won't need the last four mentioned.

This Xabi move is fantastic for the club.! would be chuffed if its 30mill, Xabi owes the fans and the club nothing from his years at LFC. This will make us stronger really looking forward to seeing who is brought in, rafa must be delighted with the extra money for xabi compared to last year almost a 100% increase in price..

In Rafa we trust..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

This Xabi move is fantastic for the club.! would be chuffed if its 30mill, Xabi owes the fans and the club nothing from his years at LFC. This will make us stronger really looking forward to seeing who is brought in, rafa must be delighted with the extra money for xabi compared to last year almost a 100% increase in price..

In Rafa we trust..

Losing him will either bite us in the arse, which I'm most afraid of, or we'll get someone in and still play sweet football - which is a big possibility.

The £30m is a lovely price tag, and it's great to know we've that kind of money in the kitty no - let's wait and see who comes in before making assumptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

I miss xabi :(

• Advertisement

I'll miss him, my fav player at LFC think he is a total footballing GOD. Never see him loosing the plot, so level headed, never ever forget his peno ever! he's part of Liverpool folklore for ever. Going to be missed no doubt but he's done the club a HUGE favour by getting us a huge wad of cash. 'll never again being able to sing XABI ALONSO at matches, unless I go to madrid! :D but fingers crossed something is in the pipeline, which respectfully has been kept out of the papers and rafa's tinkering can go into over drive with some new players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Very early updates from TB in the Echo.

Poulsen isn't a target then and Aquilani will have to undergo a stringent medical given his recent injuries. Fee for him expected to be about £16m

Defensive cover also a priority with the likes of Distin still a target.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2009/08/05/alberto-aquilani-must-prove-fitness-to-liverpool-fc-as-xabi-alonso-s-move-agreed-100252-24318151/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,323 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

excuse the link but it was on the bbc website

is slur alex on the sherry again??

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/premteams/man_united/2571920/Fergie-writes-off-Liverpool.html

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Cyrus wrote: »
    excuse the link but it was on the bbc website

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/premteams/man_united/2571920/Fergie-writes-off-Liverpool.html

:rolleyes:

Care to tell me what is wrong with what Fergie said, what he SAID not what the headline is.

Will it be easy for Liverpool to improve?

Are Gerrard and Torres not the main thrust of the team?

Is he not allowed to hold the opinion that Chelsea will be the biggest threats to United winning the league this season (I agree with him on that btw - I'd have Chelsea favoutires for the title at the moment)

So, what exactly is so wrong with what he has said?

Just like all the fuss last year when Fergie said, quite reasonably, it is unlikely players like Lampard, Ballack and Terry will improve their performance levels.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Again??
    Don't think he's ever stopped...

Just like all the fuss last year when Fergie said, quite reasonably, it is unlikely players like Lampard, Ballack and Terry will improve their performance levels.

so if the above was true last season, and at the moment they have signed no one except a russian left back and a few kids, how are they now your tip for the title when all the players above are one year older?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

zing wrote: »
    Poulsen isn't a target then and Aquilani will have to undergo a stringent medical given his recent injuries. Fee for him expected to be about £16m

Sky Sports were reporting this morning that Liverpool were in contact with Juventus regarding Poulsen. Hope this isnt true....don't rate him at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

so if the above was true last season, and at the moment they have signed no one except a russian left back and a few kids, how are they now your tip for the title when all the players above are one year older?

Just because players won't improve, doesn't mean they are not good enough to begin with, does it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Wouldn't be surprised to see him go back for Silva, and maybe someone like Cattermole as cover, and look to Lucas for more games, and play Stevie there with Silva and Kuyt switching between RM and second striker...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

If that's Net spend on new players would it not include their wages?
    Which makes a hell of a lot more sense.

For 2008 for instance we're talking the £70,000,000 in Roscos numbers, minus the £26,000,000 in Whatawasters.

That leaves some £45,000,000 for wages and transfer/agent fees.

Makes more sense as I said.

Plus I'm sure it covers expenses like the free apartment players usually get for the first few months, the free car they have use of, the fee to fly them over etc.......
    Which is why I'm sceptical of the source of the figures. Somehow I doubt the "Companies House" would lump all of the monetary goings-on of a Premier League football club into two oh-so-neat columns.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

I think its awful to sell Xabi, he was our best midfielder last season, especially in the big matches.

I dont rate Aquilani at all, in fact I dont rate anyone on the Roma team.

His record for the last three seasons doesn't exactly make for pleasent reading. Played an average of 24 games a season with an average of 3 goals.

Poor business.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Sir Alex has basically just come out and declared Liverpool as the biggest threat to United's title hopes. In his own roundabout way. ;)

spockety wrote: »
    Sir Alex has basically just come out and declared Liverpool as the biggest threat to United's title hopes. In his own roundabout way. ;)
    Nah, it's Man City he's really worried about - his dismissal of them was much more vehement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Reganovski wrote: »
    Sky Sports were reporting this morning that Liverpool were in contact with Juventus regarding Poulsen. Hope this isnt true....don't rate him at all.
    I'd take the word of TB over Sky Sports on anything LFC related any day of the week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Aquialni is a bit of a sick note and thats in Italy where midfielders aren't that pressured. He has 48 leage apps in last 3 seasons (most being 21 in a season).

Just because players won't improve, doesn't mean they are not good enough to begin with, does it?

if they didnt win in the previous season and they dont improve......

yes it does mean they arent good enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

BolBill wrote: »
    I think its awful to sell Xabi, he was our best midfielder last season, especially in the big matches.

I dont rate Aquilani at all, in fact I dont rate anyone on the Roma team.

His record for the last three seasons doesn't exactly make for pleasent reading. Played an average of 24 games a season with an average of 3 goals.

Poor business.

I agree on Aquilini at that price, but Rafa knows best.

But I disagree on Xabi, he was behind Benayoun and Kuyt in terms of changing a game and influencing a scoreline. It's a good price for a player who is not about to add goalscoring to his arsenal...

PiE wrote: »
    Which is why I'm sceptical of the source of the figures. Somehow I doubt the "Companies House" would lump all of the monetary goings-on of a Premier League football club into two oh-so-neat columns.

It's not the companies house - it's Liverpool's own accountants. I'd imagine it's just their policy to lump agents fees/signing on fees in with transfer costs, probably as well as legal, travel and any other costs associated with the transfers.

Also, to be prudent they are probably obliged to include any contingent amounts payable to other clubs depending on us winning things, but won't include extra monies we may in the future receive (like the supposed extra 4m from the Alonso deal)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Care to tell me what is wrong with what Fergie said, what he SAID not what the headline is.

Will it be easy for Liverpool to improve?

No, once you're near the top (and four points 'adrift' is almost as close as it gets), there are very few improvements that can be made which will add to your points tally. Liverpool, however, are not the only team for whom this will be a concern. It applies equally to all of the top teams.
    Are Gerrard and Torres not the main thrust of the team?

They are the main goalscoring threat yes, but I'm not sure why that's in any way shocking, or in fact negative. They are probably two of the best players in the world in their positions, so I'm happy that Liverpool's "main thrust" comes from them. Unfortunately for us, they started bugger all matches together last season. So it'll be interesting to see if we can improve this year if our "main thrust" can be present a bit more.

Is he not allowed to hold the opinion that Chelsea will be the biggest threats to United winning the league this season (I agree with him on that btw - I'd have Chelsea favoutires for the title at the moment)

He's entitled to any opinion he wants. As are you.
    So, what exactly is so wrong with what he has said?

Nothing, but what exactly is so wrong with ridiculing his opinion if one finds it ridiculous?

No fuss here.

• Advertisement

Dickerty wrote: »
    But I disagree on Xabi, he was behind Benayoun and Kuyt in terms of changing a game and influencing a scoreline. It's a good price for a player who is not about to add goalscoring to his arsenal...
    Most years I'd agree - but with the complete lack of adequate/better replacements available this summer, it's a bad time to have 30m burning a hole in his pocket.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement