Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [mod warning #11145, #32140 (see OP)]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Aqualini or Defour for me.

They're the most realistic.

or Momo? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Damn that was a whole load of crap to wade through!:P

I'm gonna write most of it off as not worth it, but this peach got attention.
    BolBill wrote: »
    Does he though ? Degen, Zenden, Drossena, Babel(huge money that Ajax still laugh about) to name but a few. Rafas 50-50 when it comes to buying decent players so to say he knows best is wrong if you ask me.
    He has just sold our best midfielder.

I love it.:D

You're idea of bad buys includes two players brought in for free.
    We didn't buy Degen or Zenden.
    Secondly, as ap person who's lived in Amsterdam, supported (to an extent) Ajax, and knows loads of Ajax supporters firtst hand, allow me to say that you're talking out of your ar$e about him.
    Babel was very highly rated by both Ajax fans and staff.
    As well as the National set-up.
    Van Basten practically begged him not to go as he wanted him to stay in Holland.

So basically of the 4 you mentioned as bad buys, 2 weren't bought, one you were talking out of your ar$e about, and one was admittadly a bad buy it seems.

Well done.

Fabregas doesn't play as far forward as Gerrard. He's a proper CM. He'd be too perfect for us. He'd be perfect for anyone.

I already stated he doesn't play as far forward as SG, I just think he's a little too lightweight more than anything else. I'd rather someone who's going to put a bit more of the graft in also. Fabregas lets the rest of the Arsenal midfield do that for him IMO (and not very well either, as Arsenal are very lightweight).

I already stated he doesn't play as far forward as SG, I just think he's a little too lightweight more than anything else. I'd rather someone who's going to put a bit more of the graft in also. Fabregas lets the rest of the Arsenal midfield do that for him IMO (and not very well either, as Arsenal are very lightweight).

Alonso>>>> Fabregas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Alonso>>>> Fabregas.

I love Alonso, but Fabregas is a better player. He had a tough year last year with injuries, but his performances for Arsenal for years, his performances for Spain in the Euros were exceptional. They are different players, sure, but Fabregas is far more creative, though not as good defensively.

deadhead13 wrote: »

I’ve never seen Martinez play, but he excites me. He sounds perfect for the premier league – tall, strong and direct. A bit like Fellaini without the hair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

deadhead13 wrote: »

There was a name in there I'd have never thought of as a player to bring in instead of the £25M for Silva, he has great potential and would cost less too....

Juan Mata.

Mata, Aquilani, Defour and possibly Poulson..... and Johnson... I would be happy enough with that

aaronh007 wrote: »
    There was a name in there I'd have never thought of as a player to bring in instead of the £25M for Silva, he has great potential and would cost less too....

Juan Mata.

Mata, Aquilani, Defour and possibly Poulson..... and Johnson... I would be happy enough with that

Three new central midfielders would be a bit much IMO, especially when we need a new CB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

use most of the money on cambiasso and defour please.

thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

don't need two CM imo, if we signed one of Defour, Aqualini, Cambiasso & a good wide player like Mata or Silva, as well as a cheap 4th choice defender, someone like Distin... i'd be ecstatic tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

acqilaini,distin and silva would suit me down to the ground:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Official quotes from Rafa

* Alonso told him he wanted to leave in May
    * There was a transfer request handed in
    * Club have been working since May on finding a replacement

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N165310090805-1445.htm
    Rafael Benitez today reflected on Xabi Alonso's imminent move to Real Madrid and insisted: "We'll bring in the best replacement."
    Alonso successfully completed a medical in the Spanish capital today after the two clubs agreed the terms of his transfer.

"We would like to keep him but as soon as he told us that he wanted to leave we started working, looking for players and trying to do the best deal for the club," said the Liverpool manager.

"It has been too long, since May, that he told us he wanted to leave and after the official transfer request we were working very hard.

"The first idea was to keep him, and the second one was to find the best price and the best replacement for us."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

don't need two CM imo, if we signed one of Defour, Aqualini, Cambiasso & a good wide player like Mata or Silva, as well as a cheap 4th choice defender, someone like Distin... i'd be ecstatic tbh

With potentially 70+ games next year, we absolutely need two central midfield signings. Lucas can do a job, but Spearing cannot be expected to shoulder such a burden.

I really think we do, unless Plessis is going to step up and be Mascherano's understudy. Spearing has no chance. We need 2 players for every position and Mascherano has no backup.

Don't know if this is a reputable source:

http://lfcglobe.com/aquilani-set-to-undergo-liverpool-medical/

Acquilani set for Medical

Hope to christ Aquilani is coming.
    Have a good feeling about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Hope to christ Aquilani is coming.
    Have a good feeling about him.

Yeah, me too, kinda like just before Robbie Keane joined.....eh....oh wait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

stats from todays mirror

with alonso (2007/09 league seasons)
    games 52
    wins 35
    draws 13
    losses 4
    win % 67%
    PPG 2.27

without alonso (2007/09 league seasons)
    games 24
    wins 11
    draws 11
    losses 2
    win % 46%
    PPG 1.83

ouch thats one mighty big hole to fill it seems, would be interesting to compare c.ronaldo stats at man utd with these

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I like the idea of Aquallini coming into the team

Whist not an exact replacement for Xabi I think a more attacking midfielder is exactly what we need, we are fairly solid defensively so someone who can break down teams more is just the ticket

Of course I will miss Xabi, he was a joy to watch and there isn't anyone as good as him around but I feel the unit is more than the sum of its parts phrase could be one that will work for us this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

rossie1977 wrote: »
    stats from todays mirror

games 52
    wins 35
    draws 13
    losses 4
    win % 67%
    PPG 2.27

games 24
    wins 11
    draws 11
    losses 2
    win % 46%
    PPG 1.83

ouch thats one mighty big hole to fill it seems, would be interesting to compare c.ronaldo stats at man utd with these

Should do those stats for just last season..

rossie1977 wrote: »
    stats from todays mirror

games 52
    wins 35
    draws 13
    losses 4
    win % 67%
    PPG 2.27

games 24
    wins 11
    draws 11
    losses 2
    win % 46%
    PPG 1.83

It's a pretty simplistic stat. It's only relevant if you assume that there was no change in the other 10 outfield players, and that Alonso was the only variable.

Should do those stats for just last season..

We've shown we can cope without him in the big games though.

ie 4-1 old trafford

It's just getting the consistancy right without him. If we get 2 decent players from the £30m it's a fantastic deal for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

http://backpagefootball.com/columnists/players/crossing-enemy-lines-michael-owen/

Michael Owen - Crossing Enemy Lines

Michael Owen has had an astounding career. Whilst he burst onto the footballing world stage with a wonder goal against Argentina in 1998, he had already been raising eyebrows throughout his youth by breaking every goal scoring record set before him. He has played for two of the biggest and most supported teams in the world, namely Liverpool and Real Madrid. He has battled relegation (and lost) with Newcastle, he has captained his country, and been both the nation’s hero (think hat-trick against Germany) and a scapegoat for the critics (think countless injuries). In fact, having read all of that you would probably forgive the unknowing for thinking he was in his late 30s, living in post retirement relaxation.
    As reality stands, however, his career is very much alive and kicking, having recently completed a shock move to Manchester United. Like many Liverpool fans, I would imagine, I was disgusted at the news – a former Kop icon signing for the enemy – and spent several minutes loudly swearing and cursing about disloyalty, abandonment and wasted talent. After I’d calmed down, I then thought about the subject of this article: has Michael Owen, former Ballon d’Or winner and prince of hat-tricks, still got what it takes to compete at the highest level for both club and country? Or have his glory days left him behind, like his pace and resistance to injury?
    My first instinct is to write him off to an injury ridden misery of an Old Trafford career – much like his stint at Newcastle – having seen the shocking statistic of his number of injury free starts over the past 4 seasons: Michael Owen is worth, on average, 16 games per season. Judging by his career goals to games average, this means a potential 7 goals for Manchester United in the 2009/2010 season, a worrying statistic for the current title holders, more so given that he is a replacement for the combined loss of goals from Ronaldo and Tevez.
    However, if anything, Michael Owen is good at proving wrong his critics. Time and time again we have seen the Chester born striker be bollocked by the English press, only to silence all critics with a flurry of goals in stellar fashion. Remarkably, a large portion of these come from hat-tricks, hence his aptly given nickname. I can clearly remember him running to the dugout and repeatedly pointing to his left foot after having scored with it, in response to critics who had written that his left foot was “for standing on”.
    This confidence in his own ability; combined with his intensely competitive nature, should be enough to make one think otherwise, and certainly has been enough for Sir Alex Ferguson to throw a contract his way. A gamble, sure, but one that incurred no transfer fee, and will no doubt be more beneficial than detrimental in the long run.
    So, even though I find myself part of the new breed of Michael Owen hater (I’m sorry, Michael, but becoming a Manc was the final straw), and a new singer of the “Where were you in Istanbul” song, I am not going to write him off just yet. I will reserve further comment, and given his new partnership with fellow England striker Wayne Rooney, I shall silently smart every time the little bugger sticks one away – something I’m sure we’ll see him do plenty of in the coming season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I've faith that Rafa will bring in who he needs to, and that's a starter, an understoody and possibly one more attacking player.

I'd like Cattermole or Poulsen as the understoody, Cambiasso as the starter and a wildcard attacking player.

Who knows? Recently players have come from complete left field like Babel, Lucas, & Riera - they weren't even on the (tabloid) radar but got signed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

spockety wrote: »
    It's a pretty simplistic stat. It's only relevant if you assume that there was no change in the other 10 outfield players, and that Alonso was the only variable.

Also, why limit your number of observations? Stick in the other 3 seasons and see what its like out of curiosity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No offense but do we need this or other threads to be bombarded with backpagefootball articles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

mike65 wrote: »
    No offense but do we need this or other threads to be bombarded with backpagefootball articles?
    It's relevant. ;) I'll keep it to the thread Mike, if it keeps you happy.

Yes. Yes we do :D

Eiredearg, don't mind Mike, he's just a grumpy aul fella!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Yes. Yes we do :D

Eiredearg, don't mind Mike, he's just a grumpy aul fella!

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

Imo Benitez won't signing anyone:eek:

Maloney_o9 wrote: »

Care to elaborate?

I would be leaning this way as well. He has time but some targets could also be cup-tied.
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    Care to elaborate?

Time constraints?Fear of being ripped-off?

Rafa doesn't really do panic buys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

A link to the article would go down a lot better than copy&pasting the whole thing.

One plus to come out of the Alonso transfer....

We get all the money (sell on clause expired), unless the owners have other ideas...

With said money Rafa can sign a very high calibre player to replace Xabi.

Aquilani is a very good player, likes to get forward, comfortable with both feet, has a rocket shot off his right, but has question marks over his fitness.

Defour is also a very good player, made captain of Belgium at 20, impressed enough when Liverpool beat Liege, (Liege went on to win their League title) to have clubs like Everton, Villa and Real look at him.

Cambiasso is the outsider. Despite his age, 29, would be a very good replacement. He likes to get forward, has good passing skills, has an eye for goal and would form a formidable all-Argentine partnership with Mascherano

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

...and he accidentally the whole bottle!

Hopefully we'll have some players signed before the weekend. We need to get them in and training asap.

aaronh007 wrote: »
    top clubs like Everton, Villa

:eek:

spockety wrote: »
    :eek:

Fixed it. Didn't realise I said "top" clubs

noodler wrote: »
    I would be leaning this way as well. He has time but some targets could also be cup-tied.

You did read the piece a whole two pages back right?!
    The piece where Rafa himself said that he had known Xabi was going since May, and that he had been working on a replacement since then.
    The part where he says there will be buys.

Like how we've supposedly had a deal in place with Roma for Aquilani since June/July!

But no, all that would make sense like.

Rafael Benitez today reflected on Xabi Alonso's imminent move to Real Madrid and insisted: "We'll bring in the best replacement."
    Alonso successfully completed a medical in the Spanish capital today after the two clubs agreed the terms of his transfer.

"We would like to keep him but as soon as he told us that he wanted to leave we started working, looking for players and trying to do the best deal for the club," said the Liverpool manager.

"It has been too long, since May, that he told us he wanted to leave and after the official transfer request we were working very hard.

"The first idea was to keep him, and the second one was to find the best price and the best replacement for us."

So basically he's known who he wans and has been working on them since May.

May, June, July, August.
    Yeah, he was rushed off his feet there.

And all those players who've been cup tied.
    Who do you think we're buying, LOI players?!

And all those players who've been cup tied.
    Who do you think we're buying, LOI players?!

...Eh or teams playing in the third round of the CL qualifiers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

A link to the article would go down a lot better than copy&pasting the whole thing.

it is common enough for people to post both articles and links they find on the net on the boards, isn't it best practice as not everyone may be able to link to the site. i for one think they are an interesting read, and provide a breath of fresh air into the thread...

losing alonso is a sickener for me, looking at the photos online and in papers of him in a liverpool shirt gives me a pang of regret everytime. but its onwards and upwards (fingers crossed) now for sure...

If I was Rafa I would sign: -
    Cambiasso
    Silva
    Turner

Pity that turner is priced at £10m, think he would make a great backup as 4th choice CB for this season, working up to maybe 2nd choice in 1-2 yrs, depending on carraghers legs.

Eh, unless they're in Champions League qualifying (early stages) I dont think we'd need worry about being cup tied just yet. I don't see any players coming from any team currently playing in the CL qualifying stage that we'd be interested in.

...Eh or teams playing in the third round of the CL qualifiers?

And how many of them have Liverpool been linked with, that will take a week to come in?

As I said, and more importantly Rafa said, these deals are all but done.
    He's been working on them for months.

Eh, unless they're in Champions League qualifying (early stages) I dont think we'd need worry about being cup tied just yet. I don't see any players coming from any team currently playing in the CL qualifying stage that we'd be interested in.

Still guestimation.
    And how many of them have Liverpool been linked with, that will take a week to come in?

As I said, and more importantly Rafa said, these deals are all but done.
    He's been working on them for months.

Linked? What an extremely vague term - very little concrete in that is there? Put your money where your mouth is if you are so certain. Name 3 players right now, one of which you believe Rafa has in the bag smartass.

EDIT: I'm assuming we won't have too wait a month to see either way if they have been planned.

interesting to see TB rubbished the reports linking us to Poulsen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

From BBC Soccer
    Liverpool seek Alonso replacement

Alonso submitted a transfer request to Liverpool in May
    Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez says the club will bring in the "best replacement" for Xabi Alonso, who joined Real Madrid on Wednesday.

The Spanish midfielder, 27, completed his £30m move to Real after passing a medical on Wednesday.

"As soon as he told us that he wanted to leave we started working, looking for players," said Benitez.

Alonso's departure from Anfield brings an end to one of the summer's most protracted transfer sagas.

Benitez revealed that the Spanish international handed in a transfer request in May, which forced Liverpool's hand over the sale, but also allowed them sufficient time to earmark replacements.

"It has been too long, since May, that he told us he wanted to leave and after the official transfer request we were working very hard," added Benitez.

The Reds have been linked with a number of potential midfield replacements for Alonso in recent weeks including Roma's Alberto Aquilani, Wigan's Lee Cattermole and Valencia's David Silva.

Last summer a move for then Aston Villa midfielder Gareth Barry - now at Manchester City following a £12m summer transfer - fell through after Benitez was unable to sell Alonso to raise the sufficient funds for the deal.

Former Liverpool midfielder Jan Molby believes it will be nearly impossible to fill the hole left by the departure of Alonso.

"Liverpool will miss him a lot. You talk about key players and although Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard are the two most important players in the team just behind them is Alonso," Molby told Radio 5 live.

"He is the one who directs the tempo of play. That ability to spot a pass to give Gerrard a split second on the ball to do his stuff will be a big loss to Steven.

"In the last 12 months he has been as good as anyone at Anfield but for some reason the manager has decided he wanted to do something else and that Alonso was always going to be available and now he has got his £30million he needs to go and spend wisely."

Alonso joined Liverpool from Real Sociedad in August 2004 for £10.5m and made 210 first team appearances, scoring 19 goals.

His departure leaves only Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher from Liverpool's 18-man squad that won the Champions League in 2005.

couple of weird goings on here, firstly a transfer request in may? maybe not, thinking he expressed a desire to leave in may, maybe handed transfer request in last week.

At least it is more-or-less confirmation that the TR was handed in, if you needed it of course.

EDIT: Why are the old pros still under the impression Rafa had a choice? In this day and age you can't really turn down a good offer if the player wants to leave that badly.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I think that reference to May is when Xabi said privately that he wanted to leave, not that he handed in an official transfer request in May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Ship Aquilani! Breaking news on SSN now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Official

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N165312090805-1649.htm
    Liverpool FC today confirmed they have agreed a deal with AS Roma for the transfer of Italian international Alberto Aquilani, subject to a medical. Liverpool concluded their discussions with Roma once the sale of Xabi Alonso to Real Madrid was finally agreed.

Aquilani, who recently celebrated his 25th birthday, is expected to feature heavily for Italy in next year’s World Cup finals.

Rafa Benitez said: "Alberto is a very good player and I'm delighted we've reached agreement with Roma for his transfer. He will travel to Merseyside later this week for a medical. Alberto has a winning mentality and great experience in both Serie A and the Champions League.

"He has long been recognised as a top class talent in Italy, captaining his country at both Under 19 and Under 21 levels before establishing himself in the senior national side."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement