Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [mod warning #11145, #32140 (see OP)]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

That was quick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Good stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

That was quick!

Very! I honestly was beginning to believe some people around here thinking Rafa wouldn't sign anyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Can wait to see him belt in some long range screamers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

noodler wrote: »
    Still guestimation.

Linked? What an extremely vague term - very little concrete in that is there? Put your money where your mouth is if you are so certain. Name 3 players right now, one of which you believe Rafa has in the bag smartass.

EDIT: I'm assuming we won't have too wait a month to see either way if they have been planned.

Aquilani.
    Distin.
    Defour.
    Silva.
    Mata.

Seeing as the report are that Aquilani is simply awaiting a medical, that we've agreed terms with him, and Roma, and seeing as that has been posted here and in the old thread at leaset a dozen times, what is your point?!!

I've said a few times over the last few days myself that IMO Aquilani will be a Liverpool player in the next few days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Makes some of the doubting comments on this page look a little silly

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Aquilani is a done deal!!!!

Edit: must refresh before posting in future ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Aftertiming can sometimes be fun :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Yay! Welcome Alberto. Please don't fail your medical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Sky Sports reckon it's for around £20m - no idea how that's broken down though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Damn that was very quick!

One down, and with a good bit of dosh left, how many to follow?

I reckon there's one more biggie left before the summer ends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

See? All the BS merchants on this thread should hold their tongues and TRUST or at least wait a fair amount of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Think losing Xabi will be somewhat cushioned by this quick signing of a talented player.

Do you reckon that in future your transfers will be conducted quickly now that Parry is gone and its more down to Rafa?

spockety wrote: »
    I reckon there's one more biggie left before the summer ends.

Yep - I think so too. But who though?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Welcome Aquaman!

If he's as good as he is in Pro Ev it's a good signing and a good replacment for Xabi :)

Probably be our new number 7. Let's hope he works out better than the last one. I wish we didn't have to wait so long to see him in action though.

The better of the players linked as Xabi's replacement imo.

Hopefully though he can put his injury nightmares behind him and become a real force for us.

Wonder what the betting odds are for his first goal to be a 25+ yards belter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Eire-Dearg wrote: »

Poulsen

Morzadec wrote: »
    Welcome Aquaman!

If he's as good as he is in Pro Ev it's a good signing and a good replacment for Xabi :)

And in FM he's worth 25m and his reputation is "worldwide"

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    Poulsen

£10m or so on a player who probably won't play regularly? Doubtful.

I can see a centre half, and maybe a striker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I love days like these when the tabloid media are made to look like absolute twits. To see what I'm talking about, pick up today's Star.

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Think losing Xabi will be somewhat cushioned by this quick signing of a talented player.

Do you reckon that in future your transfers will be conducted quickly now that Parry is gone and its more down to Rafa?

From the sounds of it this one wasn't quick.. though thankfully it didn't need to be.

Kicked off in May, and by July there were some Italian sources reporting that it was essentially a done deal.

I'm making this last bit up in my head, but I presume some sort of pre-agreement was signed in the interim period before Alonso finally put pen to paper at Real.

Eire-Dearg wrote: »

Judging by the press and a hell of a lot of speculation, David Silva.

Can't see us getting Villa as he would cost too much

I'd be happy with Silva, or Mata or whoever Rafa signs.

I'm just happy we got Aquilani

In my own terrible tourist phrase-book Italian may I be the first to say...

Dare il benvenuto all'alberto di anfield.

Or

Welcome to Anfield Alberto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It's a pretty simplistic stat. It's only relevant if you assume that there was no change in the other 10 outfield players, and that Alonso was the only variable.

Darn right. I want to see some damm regressions on that data.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I must confess I don't know a huge amount about Aquilani, but from the general comments seems like a good addition. I see he had an operation in May, is he still out from this? If so, when is he expected back?

I can also see one more decent signing, but I doubt it will be Poulson. It seems ssn just pulled his name out of their arse yesterday tbh.

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Judging by the press and a hell of a lot of speculation, David Silva.

Can't see us getting Villa as he would cost too much

I'd be happy with Silva, or Mata or whoever Rafa signs.

I'm just happy we got Aquilani

In my own terrible tourist phrase-book Italian may I be the first to say...

Dare il benvenuto all'alberto di anfield.

Or

Welcome to Anfield Alberto

If we sign Silva as well I will wánk myself silly

The team in action tonight against FC Lyn:

The Liverpool XI in full is: Cavalieri, Johnson, Dossena, Kelly, San Jose, Babel, Kuyt (C), Spearing, Lucas, Ngog, Voronin.

Subs: Gulacsi, Plessis, Ayala, Degen, Gerrard, Torres, Riera, Benayoun, Mascherano, Insua, Carragher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I don't want to go posting line-ups and stuff as it's essentially match discussion but Torres not starting against Lyn is a bit worrying. Why is Rafa resting him so much? Surely he should be starting his strongest team to get match fitness up? There's a full fixture list for the Liverpool XI (reserves) to check out the kids. Nando has played far too little this pre-season for my liking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Good quick business from Rafa. Important at this stage of the season.

An interesting signing. When I've seen him play he hasn't been great. That said, Roma tend not to be great when I'm watching and I've never seen him over a league season.

He's got a massive shot on him but rarely gets it right, but when he does, its special. His passing is good, but not as good as Alonsos. I'd say he's a little more physical than Alonso though, so maybe he'll offer something slightly different that Alonso didn't.

Should be interesting though.
    Johnson and Aquilani Benetiz's two big signings this summer, I doubt many people woulda predicted that 3 months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Headshot wrote: »
    Poulsen

Actually Tony Barrett in the Echo has said Liverpool have no interest in Poulsen, so that won't come to pass.

5starpool wrote: »
    I must confess I don't know a huge amount about Aquilani, but from the general comments seems like a good addition. I see he had an operation in May, is he still out from this? If so, when is he expected back?

apparently he should be back around the end of August. So expect him to miss pre-season and the first few games.
    Mind you, i found this out on RAWK, so who knows.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I love days like these when the tabloid media are made to look like absolute twits. To see what I'm talking about, pick up today's Star.

What was it, a "Liverpool have no money, Rafa selling his kidneys to survive" headline?

8-10 wrote: »
    I don't want to go posting line-ups and stuff as it's essentially match discussion but Torres not starting against Lyn is a bit worrying. Why is Rafa resting him so much? Surely he should be starting his strongest team to get match fitness up? There's a full fixture list for the Liverpool XI (reserves) to check out the kids. Nando has played far too little this pre-season for my liking.

I'd imagine he'll play close to the 90 minutes on Saturday against Atletico, and 30/45 today.
    He also had the confederations cup so would need more rest and less match fitness work than the others. Same with Riera i'd imagine.

I'd say the team we see Saturday will be the Spurs team.

Remember that Torres has had the confederations cup under his belt, so his match fitness won't have suffered too much over the summer from sitting around boozing in Marbella etc.

• Advertisement

I'd wrap him in bubble wrap on the bench in case he slipped off :)

5starpool wrote: »

I can also see one more decent signing, but I doubt it will be Poulson. It seems ssn just pulled his name out of their arse yesterday tbh.

This was posted a while back.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2009/07/22/alberto-aquilani-profile-10-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-liverpool-target-115875-21539418/

check out the video of his goals, particularly the one that comes about from 1.50

To be honest he position I'm worried about most is probably right back. We have no real backup here at all, essentially it's just been Arby out Johnson in. While it may be an improvment on the first XI the lack of depth remains.

Carra can play here yes but not really in the way Rafa wants. We need a full back who can back up Johnson IMO. And he will also serve as a backup/deeifferent option to Kuyt as Johnson could be pushed further up the field.

Dare I say it but we could use someone like Arbeloa, someone who could fill in CB as well.

I'm not holding out any major hope on Silva or a big signing like that. But I do feel we have some good players in these positions alreadly if players like Kuyt and Benayoun can keep up their form. We have to remember we scored the most goals in the PL last year, and this without Torres for half the season.

I think there are more question marks over our team as a defensive unit rather than an attacking unit at the moment to be honest.

Obviously I will be delighted if we get Silva but I would suggest that perhaps Rafa doesn't see him as a priority at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

What was it, a "Liverpool have no money, Rafa selling his kidneys to survive" headline?

Yup pretty much.

They also criticised our lack of depth, specifically referring to San Jose playing alongside Carra against Espanyol on Sunday. We're badly in need in cover at CB they say, then in the next line they contradict themselves by saying that Skrtel and Agger will be fit for the start of the season. Journalism at its' best. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Im shocked Roma agreed a fee. I was under the impression Aquilani was heir to the throne as emperor of Rome. The Roma fans wont like this.

Great signing imo. Looks to have what it takes to be a top player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Im shocked Roma agreed a fee. I was under the impression Aquilani was heir to the throne as emperor of Rome. The Roma fans wont like this.

Great signing imo. Looks to have what it takes to be a top player.

Roma need the money badly

So.. favoured starting XI?

Reina

-Johnson--Carra
    Skrtl
    Insua-

Mascherano

Aquilani
    -Kuyt
    Benayoun-
    Gerrard

Torres

Can't wait for the season to get going.

yep, i reckon so....with maybe one player to come in to challenge further out wide, hopefully someone of the class of Silva or Mata.

Silva really would be a dream signing, don't see it happening though.

Reina

-Johnson--Carra
    Skrtl
    Insua-

Mascherano

Aquilani
    -Kuyt
    Benayoun-
    Gerrard

Torres

Possibly Riera for Benayoun (but not if Benny keeps up his end of season form), but yeah i'd say so. Lucas will probably play a good few games until Aquilani is settled in

Reina

-Johnson--Carra
    Skrtl
    Insua-

Mascherano

Aquilani
    -Kuyt
    Benayoun-
    Gerrard

Torres

I'd swap (a fit) Aurelio for Insua, but at the moment that looks about right.

I would also say it's hard to call the left wing spot at the moment. It might depend on the opposition. I'd expect to see a lot of both Riera and Benny out there, it's hard to say if either will pin it down as a regular spot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Owen
    2008/09 Season Totals 29/9
    2007/08 Season Totals 31/5
    2006/07 Season Totals 8/1
    2005/06 Season Totals 13/2
    2004/05 Season Totals 36/19

Aquilani
    2008/09 Season Totals 14/13
    2007/08 Season Totals 17/11
    2006/07 Season Totals 15/7
    2005/06 Season Totals 26/6
    2004/05 Season Totals 18/16

and, once again, thats how you do business Mr Parry.

Owen
    2008/09 Season Totals 29/9
    2007/08 Season Totals 31/5
    2006/07 Season Totals 8/1
    2005/06 Season Totals 13/2
    2004/05 Season Totals 36/19

Aquilani
    2008/09 Season Totals 14/13
    2007/08 Season Totals 17/11
    2006/07 Season Totals 15/7
    2005/06 Season Totals 26/6
    2004/05 Season Totals 18/16

Have to say Aquilani's appearance rate is quite worrying. Especially considering Lucas is really our only backup, unless anyone's of the opinion that Spearing or Plaessis are ready to step up? I really havn't seen much of them.

Hopefully it's down to Spalletti's training methods as someone suggested earlier in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Mr Alan wrote: »
    and, once again, thats how you do business Mr Parry.

been working on it since May - hardly quick

Bit suprised at it as seems to be a bit of a glass man, especially when you consider midfielders are hardly tackled in Italy, big gamble that needs to pay off IMO if pool are to have any chance this season

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement