Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [mod warning #11145, #32140 (see OP)]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Morzadec wrote: »
    Have to say Aquilani's appearance rate is quite worrying. Especially considering Lucas is really our only backup, unless anyone's of the opinion that Spearing or Plaessis are ready to step up? I really havn't seen much of them.

Hopefully it's down to Spalletti's training methods as someone suggested earlier in this thread.

Also worth noting that Aquilani is 4 years younger than Owen, so he was 20-21 for the first two seasons there.
    He didn't have the rcurring injuries then, he was just breaking into the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

http://goal.com/en/news/9/england/2009/08/05/1422840/alberto-aquilani-to-prove-fitness-to-liverpool-report

That was printed this morning, so they will probably give him a tough medical, but those statistics are bad, especially when going from Italy to England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

wouldnt be too worried about the injury record tbh, its common practice for Roma players to be crocked regularly with their insane training regimes, which has even led to fans protests at the ground over it!

even our own John Arne spent a good chunk of last season injured & i rarely remember him missing a day while at Anfield, plus Aqualini is still young enough to shake the injury prone past, think Steven Gerrard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

Aquilani looks very eager to have a pop at goal from far out, something that we lack when Stevie G. isn't in the side.
    Originally Posted by Mikeyt086

Im shocked Roma agreed a fee. I was under the impression Aquilani was heir to the throne as emperor of Rome. The Roma fans wont like this.

Great signing imo. Looks to have what it takes to be a top player.

See the destruction Real have caused around europe.
    Wonder how many clubs have been directly/indirectly affected by them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Aquilani.
    Distin.
    Defour.
    Silva.
    Mata.

Seeing as the report are that Aquilani is simply awaiting a medical, that we've agreed terms with him, and Roma, and seeing as that has been posted here and in the old thread at leaset a dozen times, what is your point?!!

I've said a few times over the last few days myself that IMO Aquilani will be a Liverpool player in the next few days.

Look, Aquilani worked out.

Its not like anyone knew. It is all rumour until it is actually reported by some reputable source. You make it sound like all the rumours posted in the thread are true!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

thebhoy wrote: »

See the destruction Real have caused around europe.
    Wonder how many clubs have been directly/indirectly affected by them

wtf

Roma have missed on on CL qualification that's all

noodler wrote: »
    Look, Aquilani worked out.

Its not like anyone knew. It is all rumour until it is actually reported by some reputable source. You make it sound like all the rumours posted in the thread are true!

But some rumours are more realistic than others.
    When you have reports in the echo for TB, and talk of the deal already being done, you pay more attention to that.

I listed 5 players there, and I'd be shocked if more than two of them signed.
    I put them in order of what I beliee is most likely, but as you said it's all rumours.

What wasn't a rumour however is that Rafa came out this morning and said he would be buying players.
    That should be taken at face value and not have people coming out a few hours later saying that it's effectively lies and that Liverpool won't be buying players.

Headshot wrote: »
    wtf

If Real hadn't bought Alonso, we'd never have bought Aquilani.....

If Real hadn't bought benzema, he might be lining up in a Utd jersey next year...

etc......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

http://iraqgoals.net/ch3.html

Linky to Lyn game

• Advertisement

wtf

im saying that horrible feeling you get when a truly class player leaves your club, i.e...

Ronaldo leaving Man Utd
    Alonso leaving Liverpool who buy Roma's 'Little Prince' Aquilani
    Kaka leaving Milan etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

im saying that horrible feeling you get when a truly class player leaves your club, i.e...

Ronaldo leaving Man Utd
    Alonso leaving Liverpool who buy Roma's 'Little Prince' Aquilani
    Kaka leaving Milan etc...

oh right

actually I think man utd fans and liverpool fans can agree on thing for once :eek:

we hate R.Madrid

oh right

actually I think man utd fans and liverpool fans can agree on thing for once :eek:

we hate R.Madrid

Yes, and also Owen is a judas :p

oh right

we hate R.Madrid

I think all Liverpool and Utd fans have always agreed that Red is simply better than Blue.

Match Talk
    Lovely ball from Babel there, Ngog should have done much much better than that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Personally have little or no problem with Real. They have money so they are spending it. No point getting upset about the fact that they have more money or are slightly more attractive to some players. In football, there is always going to a wealthier or more attractive club out there and you just have to get on with it.

• Advertisement

Match Talk
    Comfortably on top with a number of decent half-chances but still no goal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Its been a while when liverpool players can be really disapointed about a player leaving.
    Match Talk
    Lovely ball from Babel there, Ngog should have done much much better than that...

G'wan
    Babel
    Personally have little or no problem with Real. They have money so they are spending it. No point getting upset about the fact that they have more money or are slightly more attractive to some players. In football, there is always going to a wealthier or more attractive club out there and you just have to get on with it.

Nah I have no real thing against real. I loved watching them hammer utd the year they won the Champions league with Del Bosque.

Nice Babel Cross, Voronin free header 1-0

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Vorinator strikes again

Nice Babel Cross, Voronin free header 1-0
    Yup. Nicely worked.

Voronin, in the middle of the pitch, passed out to Babel on the right. Babel jinks passed defender to the edge of the six yard box, lobs the ball in; voronin continues his run to beat the defender to the header.

• Advertisement

Babel looking lively. Could do with banging in a few more goals. Lyn not up to much.

Voronin is so much better than no Voronin.

What wasn't a rumour however is that Rafa came out this morning and said he would be buying players.
    That should be taken at face value and not have people coming out a few hours later saying that it's effectively lies and that Liverpool won't be buying players.

Here is your problem.

Think about it.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Here is your problem.

Think about it.

His problem is that he believes what Rafa says? I don't get you.

5starpool wrote: »
    His problem is that he believes what Rafa says? I don't get you.

I'll explain so. Nobody called Rafa a liar, as usual some posters jump to the man's defence when no actual attack has taken place.

Some supporters saying they don't feel Liverpool will sign anyone else shouldn't be seen as akin to calling Rafa a liar. What Rafa said this morning is what every manager in the premiership says during the transfer window - that they are working on players, deals nearly in place etc etc. Whats more it was said the day Alonso was taking his medical at Madrid - the point? That it is very understandable if a manager was keeping the masses happy with promises of immediate signings (as all managers do). It is rarely completely true, whether in content or timeframe.

Finally, Rafa could have all the good intentions in the world with regards transfers but until the deal is actually signed and the player has arrived then nothing is for certain.

Calling Rafa a liar - Jeez.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

Didn't Rafa say we were going to break our club transfer fee this summer?

also a crazy thought..

Alberto Aquilani = cover for Steven Gerrard.
    Steven Defour = Alonso's replacement.

:D:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

Spoiler:
    Ngog 2-0

nice tidy finish by ngog

Gerrard, Torres and Ayala on

Stimpyone wrote: »
    Didn't Rafa say we were going to break our club transfer fee this summer?

also a crazy thought..

Alberto Aquilani = cover for Steven Gerrard.
    Steven Defour = Alonso's replacement.

:D:confused:

is he supposed to be any good?

• Advertisement

Ngog 2-0 Nice Goal - Gerrard and Torres on

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

is he supposed to be any good?

IMHO one of the best players on the pitch when we played Standard Liege in the CL

degen is actually playing quite well

Uh-oh Riera still down holding his leg

rarnes1 wrote: »
    If we sign Silva as well I will wánk myself silly

Why?
    Do you watch much la liga?

He is so overrated by some on here its unbelievable,hes a good player but not world class or even close as some would have you believe,hes a bit better than riera but not by a huge amount.
    A right price would be 5 million more than Riera cost yet Valencia want around 30m or so according to reports.

He is also extremely slight,which could be a risk playing in the premiership,not all small players like Benny adapt.

Carra on for Riera, still looks in pain with his right ankle, hopefully not too serious.

silva it is then
    :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Always remember watching Aquilani scoring that brace against Montenegro...

Welcome to Anfield anyways lad.

[]
    did gerrard just try to chip the keeper from halfway? xabi reference?

good game though. that kelly looks a class act

• Advertisement

[]
    did gerrard just try to chip the keeper from halfway? xabi reference?
    Maybe xabi gave stevie a few tips before he left for madrid :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Anyone have a working stream? Iraqgoals is showing me Man City!

match is over now buddy, think lfctv is your best bet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

I'll explain so. Nobody called Rafa a liar, as usual some posters jump to the man's defence when no actual attack has taken place.

Some supporters saying they don't feel Liverpool will sign anyone else shouldn't be seen as akin to calling Rafa a liar. What Rafa said this morning is what every manager in the premiership says during the transfer window - that they are working on players, deals nearly in place etc etc. Whats more it was said the day Alonso was taking his medical at Madrid - the point? That it is very understandable if a manager was keeping the masses happy with promises of immediate signings (as all managers do). It is rarely completely true, whether in content or timeframe.

Finally, Rafa could have all the good intentions in the world with regards transfers but until the deal is actually signed and the player has arrived then nothing is for certain.

Calling Rafa a liar - Jeez.

Does anyone remember Babel's interview where he mentioned the advice Rafa gave him about dealing with the media ?

The quote was along the lines "They want you to say A, you want to say B, but you have to say C".

While todays interview isn't an example of it, Rafa has used the media regularly during his time at the club to put pressure on others and to force things in his favour. I'm not saying that's the right way or the wrong way of doing things but it certainly isn't the Liverpool way.

He might not be a liar but he's quite a good spin doctor.

Rosco1982 wrote: »
    He might not be a liar but he's quite a good spin doctor.

Part and parcel these days though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Crud, complelely forgot to catch the repeat on LFCTV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Yay my wish has come true :)

Welcome Mr. Aquilani :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

"Roma have allowed us to talk with him, so that's good and positive. He is a player with the quality we are looking for," said Benitez.

"He can play a little bit higher than Javier Mascherano - maybe between him and Steven Gerrard.

"He has good passing - the final ball is good - and he also works. If he can settle down properly in England he can be a very good addition.

"I think the signing should excite the fans. He won the U19 European Championship with his country, and U21 too. He has some trophies - including the Italian Cup.

"I always remember one game - England versus Italy U21s at Wembley, and he was man of the match in a 3-0 win."

latest quotes from the official site.

i cant say i know alot about the lad other than he has a good name for himself.

i'll be interested to see what kind of atittude he has, running a midfield in the premiership will certainly be a different challenge to what he's been used to anyway.
    i'd imagine he'll be put through a battery of tests to see if his body will be up for the challenge.

i reckon poulsen would be a good signing though if we could get him for a few million, could play the didi hamann role if he can replicate his sevilla form. juve seem to want rid, so his price has probably been driven down a fair bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Think losing Xabi will be somewhat cushioned by this quick signing of a talented player.

Do you reckon that in future your transfers will be conducted quickly now that Parry is gone and its more down to Rafa?

Is it down to Rafa ?

The Premier League rules say all transfers must be approved by the Board of the club but that the function can be delegated to a CEO or Director of Football.

We know it was Purslow that was negotiating with Madrid.

We also know Tom Hicks admitted it wasn't possible for Rafa to have control over transfers:
    Regarding the power struggle, in which Benitez reportedly wanted a greater say in transfer activities, Hicks said, "The fight talk was in the media - that was never true. Rafa knows he's the manager but he cannot have control over the transfers. He had his frustrations over the last five years and everything has been well chronicled."

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/9/england/2009/3/19/1164037/hicks-rafael-benitez-cannot-have-control-over-transfers-at-liverp

There was a lot more behind the differences between Rafa and Parry than was played out in the media but it was a convenient stick to beat him with given Liverpool fans had never thought much of Parry all along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭joe123

Rosco1982 wrote: »
    Is it down to Rafa ?

The Premier League rules say all transfers must be approved by the Board of the club but that the function can be delegated to a CEO or Director of Football.

We know it was Purslow that was negotiating with Madrid.

We also know Tom Hicks admitted it wasn't possible for Rafa to have control over transfers:

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/9/england/2009/3/19/1164037/hicks-rafael-benitez-cannot-have-control-over-transfers-at-liverp

There was a lot more behind the differences between Rafa and Parry than was played out in the media but it was a convenient stick to beat him with given Liverpool fans had never thought much of Parry all along.

At the start of the summer Rafa said something how hes delighted to be fully in control over the transfer dealings...or something along those lines anyways.:confused:

Great to see Aquilani signed so quickly but still feel hes not a patch on Xabi. If we can sign one more big player it will make up for the loss of alonso. But I really dont rate Silva at all. I feel some people on here are going on the hype that hes a world class player. Now I dont watch spanish football week in week out but I do watch a bit and he has honestly NEVER impressed me. And when Spain won the Euros I actually thought he was their weak link in midfield.

Of big name players though I reckon he would be favourite to join. After spending 20 million on Aquilani not a chance wel sign Villa now. (Yes I still believed :o )

Best of luck to Aquilani anyways!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

el rabitos wrote: »
    latest quotes from the official site.

i cant say i know alot about the lad other than he has a good name for himself.

i'll be interested to see what kind of atittude he has, running a midfield in the premiership will certainly be a different challenge to what he's been used to anyway.
    i'd imagine he'll be put through a battery of tests to see if his body will be up for the challenge.

i reckon poulsen would be a good signing though if we could get him for a few million, could play the didi hamann role if he can replicate his sevilla form. juve seem to want rid, so his price has probably been driven down a fair bit.

Rafa knows his stuff on Aquaman :D

A new centre half, Turner/Distin, a striker - Negredo maybe? - and maybe someone like Poulsen on loan and I'd be delighted with the summer's spending.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement