Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [mod warning #11145, #32140 (see OP)]

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Tools for going over to support their club, and bringing an Irish flag?!

When you go to any ground as a fan you need to respect it and its people,realize there is a history and embrace it and become part of it.If you don't no how things are done I (and many others) will try and guide you and educate you on how things are done.

If you take no notice of this and continue to disrespect the environment you are entering into then yes I would call you a tool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

When you see Irish fans walking towards Anfield with The Scum under their arms, and their Irish flags over the shoulders, it can rightly piss off some fans.

Death wish much? I can't see many fans - Irish representin' or not - having the audacity to do such a thing. They paid for the ticket, they paid for the ferry/plane, they're there to support the club but feel a need to show everyone "Look at me, I'm Irish" There's a feeling that everyone and anyone abroad loves Irish folk - so they feel the need to show it off.
    When I go to Liverpool games I'm a Liverpool fan.
    When I go to Ireland games, I'm an Ireland fan.

Club football is different to international football, though isn't it. If France, England, or Germany were playing you wouldn't go decked out with a Lyon, Spurs or Bayern flag?

You represent yourself differently by bringing an Irish/Finnish etc. to a club game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Part of embracing Liverpool footballclub is embracing the traditions and respecting them.

It's why the Kop clap opposition goalies.
    It's why we don't buy the scum.
    It's why we support our manager, and our players.

These are traditions that have been held at anfield for decades, and it can rightly annoy a lot of fans when they see people hoping off a plane from Dublin, or Oslo etc and flaunting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Latin players means players from all over South America too.

You've no Brazillian and only one Atgie in there mate.

I love Torres, Pepe and Masch (although this summer has dropped Javier down a bit in my estimation if all the stories are true), but they're not typical of all the best Latin players.

Let me turn that question around on you - how many key South American internationals - in their peak years 26-32 - have played for the top 4 clubs in England? Messi, Maradona, Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho etc - don't think so. Or Italians - Or Spanish - Or Portugese?

But Torres doesn't fall into that bracket whatsoever.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/apr/07/fernando-torres-liverpool-real-madrid

Er, you just proved my point for me..
    Spaniard rules out a move to Real Madrid

And hardly a word of Barcelona

You wrote: "The cream of whom there are so few - Reina, Torres, Masch, Alonso, Ronaldo, Fabregas - who have the option to join these top Spanish clubs [Barca and Real Madrid]"

Er, you just proved my point for me..

And hardly a word of Barcelona

You wrote: "The cream of whom there are so few - Reina, Torres, Masch, Alonso, Ronaldo, Fabregas - who have the option to join these top Spanish clubs [Barca and Real Madrid]"

Point is that he will move - and when that time comes - it will be Barca or Madrid who will loom large. Shame we can't place a wager on this 2/3 years from now.

Death wish much? I can't see many fans - Irish representin' or not - having the audacity to do such a thing. They paid for the ticket, they paid for the ferry/plane, they're there to support the club but feel a need to show everyone "Look at me, I'm Irish" There's a feeling that everyone and anyone abroad loves Irish folk - so they feel the need to show it off.

It happens a lot more than you'd think mate.

And it's not just that.
    I work and play footie with a fair few Liverpool "fans" who read the Scum, and get annoyed at me for telling them they shouldn't.

I sent an email to all the Liverpool fans I knew on April 14th about Hillsborough and got back emails asking why I sent that.

To some people supporting liverpool is just about the football, and fair enough, but in all fairness, Liverpool is so much more than that.

One guy I work with knew nothing, literally nothing about Hilsborough ir the scum boycott.
    I've told him most of the backround now, and he's changed his ways a lot.
    Others just don't care.

Eire-Dearg wrote:
    Club football is different to international football, though isn't it. If France, England, or Germany were playing you wouldn't go decked out with a Lyon, Spurs or Bayern flag?

You represent yourself differently by bringing an Irish/Finnish etc. to a club game.

But that's the joy of Liverpool.
    We're different.;)
    Because Liverpool has never been tied up on being English, and in fact has distanced itself, you don't have to represent yourself as Irish or whatever.
    You embrace being a Liverpool fan instead.

One of my really good friends is an ardent red from Holland.
    And I know a fair few reds from all over the country, and one in France.
    They don't bring French or Dutch flags to games.

To be honest the only real flags you'll see in Anfield are Spanish ones, and they're not been held up by Spaniards.
    And Anfield used to be full of French flags under Houllier.

It's what makes Liverpool special.
    What other club around England would deck itself out in French flags!

Being English/Irish/French/or from the Vatican City doesn't matter.

We're just Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Ive seen it with my own eyes,watching fellas reading the s#n on the ferry or on the plane and not a care in the world.Even when told about it,they didnt give a fcuk.

A lot of people at the height of the boom used going to see United and Liverpool as a piss up and a lads weekend away and gained a lot of bad reputations for Irish fans in the process.
    My inlaws live in Toxeth and we stay with them most weekends that are match weekends and there is no great love for Irish fans from ordinary scousers and bringing tri colours doesnt help that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

There is not a snowball in hells chance of Torres ever playing for Real Madrid of Barca.

He may move to Italy for a year or so at the end of his career before returning to Athletico to finish his career, but not for a long time.

Saying anything different clearly shows you have no idea about the man you are speaking about.

Point is that he will move - and when that time comes - it will be Barca or Madrid who will loom large. Shame we can't place a wager on this 2/3 years from now.

Barca - maybe - further down the line when he's finished his business here. And at that - it's still a long shot.

Real Madrid - never.

That's like Gerrard joining Everton, no matter how much money they offer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Mr Alan wrote: »
    There is not a snowball in hells chance of Torres ever playing for Real Madrid of Barca.

He may play for Barca but you are right I would put my house on hi never playing for Real Madrid.

Let me turn that question around on you - how many key South American internationals - in their peak years 26-32 - have played for the top 4 clubs in England? Messi, Maradona, Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho etc - don't think so. Or Italians - Or Spanish - Or Portugese?

Zola, Di Canio, Henry, Viera, Ginola, Pires, Carvalio (Portugese but latin).

That's just off the very top of my head.

When you move away from that though, you have Davids, Bergcamp, and Overmaars from Holland too.

Zola, Di Canio, Henry, Viera, Ginola, Pires, arvalio (Portugese but latin).

When you move away from that though, you have Davids, Bergcamp, and Overmaars from Holland too.

Overmars did indeed play for Barca, as did Henry.

Zola, Di Canio, Henry, Viera, Ginola, Pires, arvalio (Portugese but latin).

Mate - most of those are Dutch or French.
    Latin means Italian, Portugese, Spanish or South American.
    Of the 2 Latins you mentioned - Zola was past his best years and out of the International team at that stage - Di Canio was never a key international player for Italy.

• Advertisement

Any English lads playing/played for Real Madrid or Barca that'd be courtseyed into a return to England for Liverpool or Utd?

Er....

Dub13 wrote: »
    He may play for Barca but you are right I would put my house on hi never playing for Real Madrid.

I do accept in his case playing for Real would be a step too far.
    But Barca in 3 years time - Spain potential world champions - could you blame the man for spending his peak years among his own people at a great Spanish club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Any English lads playing/played for Real Madrid or Barca that'd be courtseyed into a return to England for Liverpool or Utd?

Er....

Michael Owen / Gary Lineker.... ;)

talk of Melchiot having done a medical today & coming to us for about 1.5m.

would be a decent enough buy.

talk of Melchiot having done a medical today & coming to us for about 1.5m.

would be a decent enough buy.

Any linkage Alan?

Not a bad player, iirc he's pretty versatile in the centre and along the left. Cheap, but more than adequate, defensive cover.

• Advertisement

no links, its just speculation at the moment.

can cover RB.

no links, its just speculation at the moment.

can cover RB.

Still need a top drawer centre half.

We're pretty thin with Agger and Carragher, and Skrtel is currently injured. A fourth would do no harm with ol' Sami gone. I hope speculation on Turner picks up and we go for him - but not for an over inflated price.

I'd also take that Stoke lad ... Shawcross.

I'd imagine if Melchiot comes he'll be the 4th choice CB, its his primary position.

There's no way with 2 young CBs (Agger & Skrtel), and Carra that we could get someone young & promising like Shawcross when he'd get very little football.

Someone like Melchiot would be perfect, can provide cover in a couple of positions we need (CB & RB) and is nearing the end of his career so would like the idea of playing for a massive club for the last couple of years of his career.

I'd imagine if Melchiot comes he'll be the 4th choice CB, its his primary position.

Yeah could well be.

We'd have a fantastic defense, if Aurelio and Skrtel weren't littered with injuries so often.

Johnson/Melchiot/Degen/Darby/Spearing----Carra/Melchiot----Skrtel/Agger/San Jose----Insua/Aurelio/Melchiot/

Overmars did indeed play for Barca, as did Henry.

He was talking about players commiting their best years to an English club.
    I have no doubth that Torres will move on, but his best years will be at Anfield.
    Mate - most of those are Dutch or French.
    Latin means Italian, Portugese, Spanish or South American.
    Of the 2 Latins you mentioned - Zola was past his best years and out of the International team at that stage - Di Canio was never a key international player for Italy.

Sorry misread the bottom of your post, thought you were saying Players from Italy, Portugal etc, not teams in.

As for The players you mentioned, Maradona spent his best years at Napoli.

Yeah could well be.

We'd have a fantastic defense, if Aurelio and Skrtel weren't littered with injuries so often.

Johnson/Melchiot/Degen/Darby/Spearing----Carra/Melchiot----Skrtel/Agger/San Jose----Insua/Aurelio/Melchiot/

In fairness, Skrtel's had two injuries, so it's not as if he can be called injury prone.

And the first was a freak accident, after which he recovered in amazing time.

I didn't mean injury proneness, i was referring to his long term ones.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

We're not going to get a top drawer centre half to play 4th choice. We need someone who can cover a couple of positions including CB competently. the young lads, while promising, have not (possibly through lack of opportunity of course) got the experience to cover at the top level yet, although it is a bit of a catch 22 situation I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N165262090731-1819.htm

Liverpool have confirmed both Stephen Darby and Jay Spearing have put pen to paper on new Anfield deals.

Darby and Spearing agreed to commit their futures to the club earlier this month, and the formalities of the deals have now been completed with both players having signed new contracts which will keep them on Merseyside until at least June 2012.

Speaking a few weeks ago after agreeing the terms of the deal, Spearing said: "It wasn't a difficult decision to make. As soon as Rafa said he wanted to offer me a new deal, I wanted to put pen to paper.

"This is what I've been working for over the past three years. Since I signed my first contract with the club, all I've wanted is a new deal and the fact the boss has the confidence to offer me one makes it extra special."

Darby was equally as thrilled at the prospect of continuing his career with the Reds.

"It's something I've worked hard for and it's nice to see that hard work being rewarded," he said.

"As a boy I dreamed of playing for Liverpool, so as soon as they offered the contract there was only one thought in my mind and that was to sign it.

"Last season I was fortunate enough to play for the first-team twice. Now I want to build on that, work hard in training and hopefully get a few more opportunities."

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

http://tvnz.co.nz/football-news/liverpool-eye-david-villa-swoop-2882093

Liverpool eye David Villa swoop

In what would be a dream combination for Liverpool fans, Reds boss Rafa Benitez is set to use the money gained from the sale of Xabi Alonso in a bid to bring Spain striker David Villa to Anfield

Liverpool's midfield ace Xabi Alonso is expected to complete his 30 million pound move to Real Madrid by the end of the weekend - and Benitez is aiming to make Liverpool a strike force to be reckoned with as he aims to pair David Villa with fellow countryman Fernando Torres - in a double act that was used to deadly effect during Euro 2008.

It has been reported that with the loss of Alonso, Benitez would use a 4-4-1-1 formation that would see Steven Gerrard move back into central midfield alongside Javier Mascherano, providing the Argentine does not try to push for a move to La Liga giants Barcelona.

The problem though will be in persuading the Euro 2008 ace to move from cash-strapped Valencia to Liverpool - after he already turned down big money moves to Barcelona and Real Madrid - but it is thought that Fernando Torres could persuade him on a move to Merseyside.

Benitez does realised that it could be difficult to land Villa, and is eyeing Roma mdfielder Alberton Aquilani as another possible replacement for the outgoing Alonso who handed in an offical written transfer request to the club on Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

My eye! Never trust any source from the wrong side of the planet I say! :D

mike65 wrote: »
    My eye! Never trust any source from the wrong side of the planet I say! :D

Set in stone mike, set in stone. :cool:

Seriously, I thought Valencia had solved thier short term finanacial crisis. Hence Villa himself pledging his future to the club after they played hard ball with Barca on price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Source is The Sun for the Villa to Liverpool stories.

Just as a side note, you'll always notice that The Sun will carry Liverpool stories a little more sensational than most, due to the boycott from supporters.

I'm taking the piss mike - I just found that on newsnow and it made me lol.
    and yup zAbbo.

Pesky Kids! :mad: :pac:

Er right....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

i don't buy the sun myself, for the reasons mentioned on here already, but was wondering what tabloid do you guys prefer to read, i think the star is a bit $hit when it comes to liverpool, but the mirror can be alright, mostly.

saying that though, i hate reading tabloids, and usually spend my lunch giving out about the stupid pointless stories they have... guess i should stop buying them then.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

thebhoy wrote: »
    i don't buy the sun myself, for the reasons mentioned on here already, but was wondering what tabloid do you guys prefer to read, i think the star is a bit $hit when it comes to liverpool, but the mirror can be alright, mostly.

saying that though, i hate reading tabloids, and usually spend my lunch giving out about the stupid pointless stories they have... guess i should stop buying them then.:rolleyes:

I detest reading the tabloids, they're full of BS from cover to back.

I tend to go with rather more respectable newspapers like the Guardian or the Times or even the Independent. They do also tend to have decent sports writers too, which is always a bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Fernando Torres believes the Barclays Premier League remains way ahead of other major leagues in Europe.
    LFC.TV wrote:
    Liverpool's No.9 thinks La Liga can still learn much from English football despite the large sums of money being spent by Barcelona and Real Madrid this summer.

"English football has an enormous following across the world, not just because of the players but because of its history, its tradition, the excitement, the capacity crowds," said Torres, who spent six years in the Spanish top flight.

"The other leagues can learn a lot, even La Liga. Madrid have signed Kaka and Ronaldo, and Barcelona have Xavi and Messi but, really, the Premier League is way ahead."

The Spain international also thinks that Liverpool winning the Premier League would receive a similar reaction to when he and his countrymen won Euro 2008.

"Winning the league here would be like winning the European Championship with Spain last year," he added.

Torres also reiterated his desire to win trophies ahead of personal gains.

"A player wants to be remembered for what he has won, for what he has given his club," he said.

"Ten years after you stop playing you want to have medals, trophies. You may have a fantastic car and home but it's not the same."

The Reds striker is about to enter his third season at Liverpool and gave an insight into why he feels completely at home in the city.

"It's because Liverpool is a working city. At the weekend people go to watch their team at Anfield and watch the best team in the country," he added.

"I had a lot of offers from a lot of clubs but I was always attracted to Liverpool because of the reputation of the people from the city, the club's supporters and their history, and I wanted help make this one of the greatest clubs in the world again."

Every time this lad talks he gains even more respect from me. Gotta love the guy, he is as honest as he is talented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

That stupid Livertweet thing has gone very quiet I notice..

They got to them, Rafa took out a hit.

rafa-benitez.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

torres = God Mk 2, Spanish version.

Been doing some reading and watching of Aquilani and I must say, I am very impressed. Seems to be that bit more attacking than Alonso and defo has an eye for a pop from distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Pity he's delusional though really... ;)

• Advertisement

Elaborate please sir!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Shame Alonso is leaving.

I'm heading to Barcelona though, to watch the game tomorrow night. Looking forward to it.

Just a heads up for those with Sky/FTA etc, you can wind down/or wind up on 3 hours of the 08/09 season with Rafa from 7.30 this evening on channel 434. With so many goaltastic games and frankly feck all else on the box its must see tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Being doing some reading and watching of Aquilani and I must say, I am very impressed. Seems to be that bit more attacking than Alonso and defo has an eye for a pop from distance.

The Mirror did a profile of him.

http:www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2009/07/22/alberto-aquilani-profile-10-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-liverpool-target-115875-21539418/

http://www.goal.com/en/news/8/main/2009/08/01/1416107/liverpool-are-tougher-opponents-than-manchester-united
    Liverpool Are Tougher Opponents Than Manchester United – Andrey Arshavin

After signing for Arsenal from Zenit St. Petersburg in the January transfer window, Andrey Arshavin took the Premier League by storm.
    Despite this, he rates the quality of the opposition he has faced very highly.

“None of the teams have been easy,” he told FourFourTwo magazine.

“A lot depends on the course of the game. Fulham were a particularly difficult opponent, not fun to play against. They were very organised, very disciplined, constantly closing you down.”

The Russian then went on to compare Arsenal's title rivals and stated that he thought Liverpool were the most difficult opponents he had played against.

“But if you're talking about Manchester United and Liverpool, Liverpool were the much harder to play against,” said the Russian.

Arshavin also weighed up the impact of Ronaldo's move to Real Madrid, saying, “It's impossible to replace Cristiano Ronaldo and I hope they'll be weaker as a result."

“If there were many others like him, Real Madrid wouldn't have paid £80m.”

“On the other hand, Alex Ferguson has won a lot of titles over the years, a lot of them without Cristiano Ronaldo, so he knows how to win trophies with other players,” he continued.

“But it will take time for them to compensate for his absence and I hope that we can make use of this and overtake United.”

Commenting on Wenger's footballing philosophy the Russian said, “I don't want us to be playing for the result alone, I want us to carry on playing the way we do, the way I love.”

“I love attacking football. My own view would always be: let's score more than we concede; rather than hang back by our own goal and wait for a single chance to score,” he continued.

“Anyway, if you look at Arsenal, the squad we have isn't designed to win 1-0.

“That's why you have 60,000 coming to the Emirates, they come to see something beautiful, something memorable.”

I'd have to agree :D

Was his game against us the best individual performance ever from an opposing player at Anfield?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement