Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [mod warning #11145, #32140 (see OP)]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

daithijjj wrote: »
    Ive not seen much of aquilani but.........

Ive looked at him on wikipedia.

Hes always injured.

He never passes the ball.

(source;, boards.ie).

Just one question?......how much should i lump on chelsea to win the league?
    drevil.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

daithijjj wrote: »

Just one question?......how much should i lump on chelsea to win the league?

Not a whole lot. I think they have a chance, and its going to be tight this year. But they will probably start extremely well and blow everyone away...............like last year. And implode around christmas......like last year. They are a very, very talented squad but there are lots of emo's in the team. Plus, the african nations will hit them harder than most. Time will tell tho, it seems from the outside looking in that the new man has the support of the players more than Scolari did.

Could be a good season with a proper three horse race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Boggles wrote: »
    Over the past 5 years Roma have outscored Liverpool by quite a bit.

Those assist stats on ESPN don’t go back very far. Even Totti has 0 for 3/4/5 years ago. It’s only really the last two seasons, when he’s hardly played and Alonso has played loads. So he doesn’t compare THAT badly to Xabi in all honesty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Kirby wrote: »

if aquilani settles, and/or lucas steps up, there is no reason why this shouldn't be the case.

9 days to go...

well...10 for us :)

Not a whole lot. I think they have a chance, and its going to be tight this year. But they will probably start extremely well and blow everyone away...............like last year. And implode around christmas......like last year. They are a very, very talented squad but there are lots of emo's in the team. Plus, the african nations will hit them harder than most. Time will tell tho, it seems from the outside looking in that the new man has the support of the players more than Scolari did.

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,747 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Cyrus wrote: »
    maybe ill give you a job as my butler someday that would be fun, your uniform would be a liverpool jersey :D

Theres a Rafa joke there, gonna leave it though. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Obviously i hope liverpool do it but my head says chelsea at this point in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Mod note:

Can we get a bit of cop on before people are copping on to a week ban?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Don't discount Arsenal. Their kids are a year older, they have replaced Toure and Adebayor was so disinterested last year that he contibuted little. Van Persie, Fabregas, Walcott, Eduardo and Arshavin are all very good players. I think Wenger owes them a signing after the money they got from City, so that could be interesting...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

You just don’t replace someone like Keane.
    Alonso, good as he was, is replaceable imo. There are players out there near his level. Let’s just hope Aquilani can be one of them.

like who?? the only one i can think of is pirlo maybe, i doubt there is that many players out there near his level otherwise real wouldn't have wasted 3+ months trying to sign him, they would have moved on to the next available option ;)

as for keane, yes great great player but viera played a similiar role and was a great player too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Dickerty wrote: »
    Don't discount Arsenal. Their kids are a year older, they have replaced Toure and Adebayor was so disinterested last year that he contibuted little. Van Persie, Fabregas, Walcott, Eduardo and Arshavin are all very good players. I think Wenger owes them a signing after the money they got from City, so that could be interesting...

i don't see liverpool or arsenal anywhere close to the title next season but thats me, if stats are to be believed liverpool will win 17 games next season (of the 24 matches he missed they had a 45% win rate without alonso last 2 seasons and a 67% win rate when he played)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

rossie1977 wrote: »
    like who?? the only one i can think of is pirlo maybe, i doubt there is that many players out there near his level otherwise real wouldn't have wasted 3+ months trying to sign him, they would have moved on to the next available option ;)

No, Real persued Alonso so much because he was Spanish.
    The unrest in Madrid over the fact that they had no Spanish heart to the team was well pulicised.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

i don't see liverpool or arsenal anywhere close to the title next season but thats me, if stats are to be believed liverpool will win 17 games next season (of the 24 matches he missed they had a 45% win rate without alonso last 2 seasons and a 67% win rate when he played)

100 Euro says Liverpool win more than 17 matches next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

spockety wrote: »
    100 Euro says Liverpool win more than 17 matches next season.

I will offer 100 euro too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,747 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I will offer 100 euro too.

Me Too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

My, what a well thought out and lucid argument...

There are lies, damn lies and statistics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Absolutely ridiculous

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Feck off lads, it's my bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭Diggy78

Would like to know how many of those matches we didn't win without Alonso were also games where we were missing Stevie or Nando, or both. Would have liked to have seen him stay but I dont think he's anywhere near irreplaceable. Of course if someone comes back with stats saying that Stevie and Nando were playing in all of those games that we didn't win then I'll happily change my tune! :)

• Advertisement

Diggy78 wrote: »
    Would like to know how many of those matches we didn't win without Alonso were also games where we were missing Stevie or Nando, or both. Would have liked to have seen him stay but I dont think he's anywhere near irreplaceable. Of course if someone comes back with stats saying that Stevie and Nando were playing in all of those games that we didn't win then I'll happily change my tune! :)

Didn’t Xabi play in as most of those draws at Anfield as well? He was good. But he’s not the be all and end all of our title hopes by any means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,714 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

No one is irreplaceable although it might be difficult to get someone in for Torres or Gerrard. The only player we've ever had that was really irreplaceable was King Kenny. Even God was replaced.
    Just like someone will eventually fill the void left by Alonso.

Is the Dunmanway match over yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

No one is irreplaceable although it might be difficult to get someone in for Torres or Gerrard. The only player we've ever had that was really irreplaceable was King Kenny. Even God was replaced.
    Just like someone will eventually fill the void left by Alonso.

Is the Dunmanway match over yet?

Yep.
    1-0, Pacheco free-kick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Aquilani arriving at Heathrow from the Daily Mail.

No sign of a wheel chair or crutches as some would have us think.

article-1204760-05FA1FD9000005DC-88_233x423.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Alonso's deflected goal against chelsea was just shown on lfc tv.... no more lampard alonso duels either.. it's going to be weird not seeing him in a pool jersey again...

Just thinking that he'll be playing with ronaldo is horrible and for real madrid!

that said i'm quitely confident in aquaman (Great name)... i haven't seen much of him but the transfer reminds me of the torres transfer..big fee and a lot of people are writing him off too.. hopefully this transfer will have similar results!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i wonder what the Kop will come up with to sing to him.

as long as the don't do it to the tune of an Aqua song i think i'll be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,145 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Just back from watching the reserves against Dunmanway.

First off, Kudos to Dunmanway for the setup, very good temporary stand built and the pitch looked absolutely pristine.

Dunmanway were destroyed in terms of general play, but were solid in defence (though they were playing with a back 6 most of the time). Pool showed a lot of nice build up and passing but just couldn't quite get the final ball right. Dunmanway, aside from number 11, didn't offer too much going forward, and for good portions of the match, the only player in the liverpool half was the keeper.

Nemeth had an off day, not a great touch on some vital moves.

Pacheco was very good, from his sublime free kick to his posession play, passing and dribbling.

Bruna was quite good on the left wing too, didn't get too muscled out of it and had some very good runs, bit selfish at times though.

Mavinga won everything in the air at CB and kept things very comfortable for pool.

Irwin and Mendy in the full back positions were both very good, getting forward whenever possible, especially Mendy who has a fantastic ability to just drift past players and makes it look so easy.

I'll pop up some pictures at some point, later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He's a Roma boy in a Scouser world...
    Life in Anfield, its fantastic :o

They are a very, very talented squad but there are lots of emo's in the team.
    :confused:

Whats hard to understand? Drogba and Anelka, the two strikers, are well known for sulking and having a strop when it suits them. You new or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Whats hard to understand? Drogba and Anelka, the two strikers, are well known for sulking and having a strop when it suits them. You new or something?

FFS! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

mike65 wrote: »

he can shoot from there, shoot from anywhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I'm assuming the problem is the word emo....i take it should be ego...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

tok9 wrote: »

black eyeliner on drogs and anelka would look silly wouldn't it

tok9 wrote: »

Well not necessarily. Ego isn't a bad thing necessarily. For example, you could imagine that most footballers have large ego's. You would have to be full of yourself...earning huge money and having thousands of people cheering you and chanting your name etc. Drogba is a bit of a whiney fellow tho. You could see last year when he wasnt "happy" he would just stroll around and do nothing. I'd describe that more as Emo than anything else. "Oh, poor me" kind of syndrome...insteading of getting on with it. Plenty of footballers have huge ego's and are professional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

never heard of emo being used in that respect Kirby...

This is all very interesting :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

SlickRic wrote: »
    i wonder what the Kop will come up with to sing to him.

as long as the don't do it to the tune of an Aqua song i think i'll be happy.

never heard of emo being used in that respect Kirby...

Emos are self centred pricks, I think thats the parrallel :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Schmeichel picks Anfield legend as the best he faced

Manchester United legend Peter Schmeichel, who also played for Manchester City and Aston Villa, has named Liverpool striker Robbie Fowler as the best striker he faced during his spell in the Premier League. The former England international, who enjoyed spells at Manchester City, Leeds United and Blackburn Rovers, as well as two spells with Liverpool, is the fourth highest scorer in Premier League history.

The great Dane widely regarded as one of the best goalkeepers of all time, picked out the Anfield marksman as the striker he rated the best.

Schmeichel also suggested Sir Alex Ferguson would have signed Fowler, had he been given half the chance, because the Scot rated him that highly.

Schmeichel told talkSport Magazine: “Robbie Fowler was the best, he kept scoring, and we just didn’t know what do about it.”

“Had he had the chance, I’m pretty sure he (Ferguson) would have signed him on the spot because he rated him as the best striker in the league.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Alonso, great player, but 29 years old, and for £30mil? I don't think that deal could be rejected. We'll miss him, not only his passing, but his ability to move the ball quickly and get opposing players diving in and getting sent off, was it 6 or 7 players last season sent off for tackling him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

Alonso, great player, but 29 years old, and for £30mil? I don't think that deal could be rejected. We'll miss him, not only his passing, but his ability to move the ball quickly and get opposing players diving in and getting sent off, was it 6 or 7 players last season sent off for tackling him?

he is 27, 28 this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Waster

kida wrote: »
    Aquialni is a bit of a sick note and thats in Italy where midfielders aren't that pressured. He has 48 leage apps in last 3 seasons (most being 21 in a season).
    Think a lot of that had to do with Spaletti preferring Pizarro to Aqulani as playmaker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Emos are self centred pricks, I think thats the parrallel :)

I think the full definition in the oxford english is EMOtional, self centred, whining pricks but i could never describe john terry in that category. Wouldnt want to breach any charter rules. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Totally natural Mike, stick a few synths in there and you never know. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Just stuck up a few photos of this evening's game against Dunmanway on the site.

Looks like everything well, and drew a fantastic crowd.

http://backpagefootball.com/photos/photo-special-dunmanway-rovers-vs-liverpool-xi/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

thebhoy wrote: »
    Apologies if posted before: -
    But gave me a good laugh.

I've seen the first two before but the last one is class!

Here is a clip of Pacheco's goal today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFkGrqILbko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Here is a clip of Pacheco's goal today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFkGrqILbko

Pfft, where's the replay from the other 23 angles :pac: :P

I kid, I kid, cheers jesus.

Ha that last clip is exellent, wasn't sure what it was from so surpised to see the rafa er gafa and Torres pop in!

• Advertisement

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Pfft, where's the replay from the other 23 angles :pac: :P

I kid, I kid, cheers jesus.

I will message the camera man ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement