Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [mod warning #11145, #32140 (see OP)]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Grobbelaar on Fm104 at the minute haha.

According to the Roma forums they are sad to see him go but they dont think he worth 20m.

They consider him the 3rd best player in the team and they all agreed that it was ludicris to pay 20m for a player that "is always broken"

Doesnt bode well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

actually it bodes very well as they are sad to see him go & a lot of people think his injury problems were a lot to do with the carry on at Roma. also not being worth 20m? surely if Liverpool are confident he can beat his injuries that'd increase his worth & how good he is, also the fact all transfer fees are inflated in this stupid market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

How do you fail a medical then??

cissokko from porto failed a medical at milan because he had dodgy teeth :confused:

.....yet...ronaldinho passed his. :confused::confused:

tbh, i'd imagine the fee is broken down to a lump sum and then the rest in installments based on his appearances over the course of his contract, just at a guess. hopefully the medical staff at liverpool are of a better caliber than at roma and he'll be well looked after.

hate to have another jamie redknapp or worse darren anderton on our hands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

According to the Roma forums they are sad to see him go but they dont think he worth 20m.

They consider him the 3rd best player in the team and they all agreed that it was ludicris to pay 20m for a player that "is always broken"

Doesnt bode well.

Wouldn't pay much attention to it to be honest. Fans can convince themselves of anything when an important player leaves.

The fact that they consider him their third best player is good enough for me considering the two they likely have ahead of him. Also, Alonso was probably our 3rd/4th/5th best player so it all sounds about right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Alonso? Always injured...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,753 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Gona be tough for aquaman, has to hit the ground running in the North of England in November.

Rafa either thinks Lucas can step up or Lucas is gone and there is another signing in the pipeline.

Or E, Gerrard moves back, Torres/Vorinator Combo.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    actually it bodes very well as they are sad to see him go & a lot of people think his injury problems were a lot to do with the carry on at Roma. also not being worth 20m? surely if Liverpool are confident he can beat his injuries that'd increase his worth & how good he is, also the fact all transfer fees are inflated in this stupid market.

How does it bode well when they say he is always broken,how?
    You get so defensive,Im a Liverpool fan so I hope he does well.

Would they lie,his injury record speaks for itself and the physicality of the premiership will increase the toll on him.

I want him to succeed and I think he will but they make a very good point about his injuries.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Boggles wrote: »
    Gona be tough for aquaman, has to hit the ground running in the North of England in November.

Rafa either thinks Lucas can step up or Lucas is gone and there is another signing in the pipeline.

Or E, Gerrard moves back, Torres/Vorinator Combo.

jeez I didn't know november was only 4 weeks away...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i'm not being defensive, but they say he is always broken..... the reason mooted for that is the same as all their other injury prone players, they run the club like lunatics :)

if he ain't always broken at Liverpool, then it'll be a great buy hopefully.

& Boggles, i'll put money with you now he is back closer to mid-late sep than nov, hopeful thinking from you i think! ;)

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    i'm not being defensive, but they say he is always broken..... the reason mooted for that is the same as all their other injury prone players, they run the club like lunatics :)

if he ain't always broken at Liverpool, then it'll be a great buy hopefully.

& Boggles, i'll put money with you now he is back closer to mid-late sep than nov, hopeful thinking from you i think! ;)

Well hopefully our medical staff are better although I would have always thought players are less likely to get injured in hotter climates.

The fact that he has actually had an operation could be a good thing.Could mark the end of these ankle problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Yep, it looks a good price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I am not impressed that we've just paid £20m for a bloke who will be out for two months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I am not impressed that we've just paid £20m for a bloke who will be out for two months.

But if he is the right player long term, surely the fact he is out for two months is of little note - if you get 7 years of relatively injury free football from an obvioulsy talented player, surely the fact he is out for the first two months is nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

What did you expect? He had an operation and hasn't done anything since.

Anyway, it could only be 4 weeks.

But if he is the right player long term, surely the fact he is out for two months is of little note - if you get 7 years of relatively injury free football from an obvioulsy talented player, surely the fact he is out for the first two months is nothing.

Two months is a lot in the grander scheme of the English PL.
    podge018 wrote: »
    What did you expect? He had an operation and hasn't done anything since.

Anyway, it could only be 4 weeks.

Rafa won't rush him back, it will be closer to eight weeks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I think that's ridiculously short sighted, buying the wrong player because the right one is out for up to 2 months (most likely less, injuries are all was gauged on the conservative side.
    But jesus christ are you serious? you're not impressed we signed someone becuase of the next two months? Gerrard, Mascherano, Lucas, Benayoun, reasonably likely a new signing can all play in those 2 midfield spots.

We have spurs,stoke,bolton and villa.We should be ok without him but hopefully he gets fit soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Jesus lads give your new 20 million signing a chance. Rafa has a great record in centre midfields so far, trust him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Well hopefully our medical staff are better although I would have always thought players are less likely to get injured in hotter climates.

The fact that he has actually had an operation could be a good thing.Could mark the end of these ankle problems.

I don't get this sort of thinking, why would you think this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Hate to be a realist but we have just spent 20 million on a very average midfielder who will be out for up to 8 weeks and has a terrible history of injurys, and quite frankly has done very little to justify his price tag. Have only seen him play a couple of times and I wasn't impressed. I hate when people put up videos of his best moments and goals this can make any player look world class. Better off watching a game and seeing the good and the bad.
    I have to admit I have grave doubts about the lad don't think he will be able to mix it in the premiership, and would say it's a gamble at that price

• Subscribers Posts: 16,598 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Hate to be a realist but we have just spent 20 million on a very average midfielder who will be out for up to 8 weeks and has a terrible history of injurys, and quite frankly has done very little to justify his price tag. Have only seen him play a couple of times and I wasn't impressed. I hate when people put up videos of his best moments and goals this can make any player look world class. Better off watching a game and seeing the good and the bad.
    I have to admit I have grave doubts about the lad don't think he will be able to mix it in the premiership, and would say it's a gamble at that price

how can you hate people putting up his videos making him look world class and at the same time have grave doubts and call him 'very average' having only see him play twice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

copacetic wrote: »
    how can you hate people putting up his videos making him look world class and at the same time have grave doubts and call him 'very average' having only see him play twice?

Shouldn't have used "hate" I suppose but people put up clips of wonder goals and the expectancy level goes up . I could put a montage of myself up that would make me look a 30 million pound player and I'm not worth 30 cent. We have bought a player based on what he could achieve rather than what he has achieved which is all right at a couple of million but surely not 20 million.
    I hope I stand correceted and maybe I'm being pedantic but this for me is a big gamble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Liverpool fans really are a special bunch. Sickens me reading some of the stuff posted on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Riise thinks Aquaman will do the business - http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N165324090807-1944.htm
    He likes to have the ball at his feet but not because he likes to dribble, he just wants to keep the team moving. He never stands still, he's always on the run.

"He certainly runs more than Xabi and is probably more dangerous in terms of getting in the box and trying to score goals.

And this mornings rags
    Liverpool have had a £6m move for defender Michael Turner rejected, with Hull demanding £12m.
    Full story: Daily Mail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

zAbbo wrote: »
    Riise thinks Aquaman will do the business - http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N165324090807-1944.htm

And this mornings rags

I can't see us spending significant money on a centre half. Skrtel and Agger are both young, so i think an experienced player like Distin would be better.
    I think Kelly will be a first team player in the next couple of years as well. San Jose didn't do great in pre-season but i think he's going to make the grade as well. He could be a good understudy to Agger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Martin Kelly looks like a player who would come on in leaps and bounds if he got the pitch time. I've really liked what I've seen of him and his attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Shouldn't have used "hate" I suppose but people put up clips of wonder goals and the expectancy level goes up . I could put a montage of myself up that would make me look a 30 million pound player and I'm not worth 30 cent. We have bought a player based on what he could achieve rather than what he has achieved which is all right at a couple of million but surely not 20 million.
    I hope I stand correceted and maybe I'm being pedantic but this for me is a big gamble

Well Rafa obviously rates him. A lot of things can be said about his Injury record but he's had an op and obviously the medical staff are happy with his progress. Although i would prefer if he was fit now, as stated by someone earlier, if he's 2 months out but is the best man for the job then happy days, better to sign him over a player Rafa doesn't rate as high just because that player is fit, and in the grand scheme of things 2 months out isn't a lot of time if he stays relatively injury free in his 5 year contract. Every signing is a gamble TBH, maybe Aquillani is slightly higher because of his injury history but i trust Rafas Judgement...

mike65 wrote: »
    Martin Kelly looks like a player who would come on in leaps and bounds if he got the pitch time. I've really liked what I've seen of him and his attitude.

could be our new Carragher, but better on the ball i think. Looks good at RB too

• Advertisement

mayordenis wrote: »
    I think that's ridiculously short sighted, buying the wrong player because the right one is out for up to 2 months (most likely less, injuries are all was gauged on the conservative side.
    But jesus christ are you serious? you're not impressed we signed someone becuase of the next two months? Gerrard, Mascherano, Lucas, Benayoun, reasonably likely a new signing can all play in those 2 midfield spots.

All I can say is that we'll see what kind of position we are in the league by the time he is fit (which potentially won't be until towards the end of September).

To the rest of you, I apologise for not toeing the line. I should have just said "In Rafa We Trust" right?

It is far too early to make any judgements on Aquilani as a Liverpool player. Fair enough people can say they are basing it on his past record with Roma, but by that logic Torres should not have been signed as his strike rate was very average before joining Liverpool.

The time to start judging him is when he has gotten a third to a half season of play under his belt. Then we can have some kind of idea of what he does or does not bring to the team. But I can see how people would have doubts on the guy, and we will not know either way until he is playing for a spell.

I think there is a danger of expecting him to be pulling the strings like Alonso did, I don't think he is that type of player, and I think we may have to adjust to seeing a bit more possession lost in midfield than what we are used to from here in. The flip side of that may be that Aquilani can bring a more attacking slant to when we have the ball, so with any luck that will equal a little less possession but a few more goals, well in my head anyway :D

What worries me a little is if we have another injury in midfield. before he is ready to play, as it would leave us light in midfield.

I still think we need another high quality attacking player though, one that can bring a similar level of threat to teams that Torres and Gerrard can do. But that kind of player is not easy to find, let alone buy.

That line of thinking put the idea of a flat track bully on the wing into my head. A player that really shines against smaller teams, one that runs at the defenders and causes teams to put two men on him. The kind of player that often goes past those two men. The bad thing about that line of thinking was the player it put into my head.

Robben. Yes he comes across as a bit of a muppet, and defo has a bad rep amongst us LFC fans, but the guy can shred defences, has pace and skill to burn, can score, and did I mention the fact that he can shred defences?

He is still young, and there is somethng to the thought of him running down the left wing against the defence of those pesky teams that held us to draws last season. Defenders trying to doubleteam him, Torres and Gerrard finding extra space because of that.

Vile thought to have him in a red shirt? Maybe.

Any doubt on his footballing ability? None whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Unbelievable stuff. I remember years ago a new player was given the chance over the course of the first season to settle in and prove his worth....now they are written off before they even kick a ball in anger. As a Liverpool fan i really do wonder sometimes about some of our so called "supporters":rolleyes:

Bandit12 wrote: »
    Unbelievable stuff. I remember years ago a new player was given the chance over the course of the first season to settle in and prove his worth....now they are written off before they even kick a ball in anger. As a Liverpool fan i really do wonder sometimes about some of our so called "supporters":rolleyes:

Where did I say that? Show me please?

I'm not criticising Aquilani. I'm unhappy that in terms of this season Rafa has signed a player who will at most miss two months of the season. Where does that leave us? Throwing Lucas in at the deep end (not criticising Lucas, I just think it's unfair to expect him to pick up Alonso's mantle for at most two months)? Or breaking up the Torres-Gerrard partnership by moving the latter back into midfield? Neither of those options give me confidence.

Two months is a long time in the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

To the rest of you, I apologise for not toeing the line. I should have just said "In Rafa We Trust" right?

that's not what people expect.

all that should be expected from us fans is to give the guy a chance. nobody says he's guaranteed to be a success. but as fans, we should be optimisitic. why the f*ck not?

get behind the lad ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

SlickRic wrote: »

all that should be expected from us fans is to give the guy a chance. nobody says he's guaranteed to be a success. but as fans, we should be optimisitic. why the f*ck not?

get behind the lad ffs.

Exactly. Let's just see what happens. I'm optimistic myself. :)

SlickRic wrote: »

get behind the lad ffs.

I'm not criticising him, I'm criticising the fact that we are lightweight in midfield for potentially two months. Last season showed that the standard has gotten ridiculously high after we finished with a points haul that in any previous season would have won us the league. That just goes to show that every game, every week, and every month counts in the English PL. Do you think that our midfield as it is without Aquilani can break down the lesser teams such as Stoke, Hull, Wigan, etc etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Its not just about the 2 months out either, no preason and a lack match fitness when he does come back . Its a gamble by rafa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,146 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

By that rational, you should be very happy that we got him as it wasn't yourself with your limited viewings or other posters with with their youtube expecations that signed him, it was Rafa and the liverpool scouts who made this decision and id imagine they've seen and analysed far more of his performances then we have, so Huzzah!

mike65 wrote: »

Absolutely, he's looked like a great prospect for the future, and looks good enough to play a backup role already.

To be fair lads, Lz5by5 has not slagged off the player, and has just voiced the doubts or worries that he has going into the new season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

All I can say is that we'll see what kind of position we are in the league by the time he is fit (which potentially won't be until towards the end of September).

well you are supposed to be a Liverpool supporter right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

Bandit12 wrote: »

That was before we had players like:-
    Sean Dundee
    Titi Camara
    Julian Dicks
    Djimi Traore
    Nunez
    Josemi

The list does go on a bit, but you see what i'm getting at.

I'm defo gonna wait to see the lad in a red shirt before i make my opinions but everyone on here needs to chill, big time. If people have reservations about signing an injured player then sure as hell they're allowed to express them on here, that whole "some liverpool supporters you are" does not wash with me.

There is a bit of hypocrasy going on too, with those who laughed at MUFC for getting a crock for free, now changing their tune when we have taken a punt of £20m on a player with a dodgy injury record.

Discussion is one thing, but no-one on here should be preaching from the pulpit (i'm trying not to be too ironic), saying "some 'fans' you are" or "blindly believing rafa".

Haven't we all gotten sick of the 3 page arguments which end in a mod infraction/warning with no-one having changed their opinion, only for 4 pages later another one starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I would have always thought players are less likely to get injured in hotter climates.
    Fromvert wrote: »
    I don't get this sort of thinking, why would you think this?
    Well it makes sense seeing as body temperature is a huge factor in injuries. I've heard from lads who have gone to Thailand to do Muay Thai that it's easier to recover from injuries over there but that might be caused by some other factor.

Either way, it probably doesn't apply to Italy since it gets really cold in winter there.

I'm not criticising Aquilani. I'm unhappy that in terms of this season Rafa has signed a player who will at most miss two months of the season. Where does that leave us? Throwing Lucas in at the deep end (not criticising Lucas, I just think it's unfair to expect him to pick up Alonso's mantle for at most two months)? Or breaking up the Torres-Gerrard partnership by moving the latter back into midfield? Neither of those options give me confidence.

Was not having a go at you mate. Just a general observation about our support.

Headshot wrote: »
    Its not just about the 2 months out either, no preason and a lack match fitness when he does come back . Its a gamble by rafa

I don't understand. Would people rather Rafa went for an inferior option who is match fit at the moment? Personally i'm much happier that he's thinking longer term

Every signing is a gamble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

he said 4-8 weeks before he's fully fit, so that includes getting match fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

With all due respect, if people (especially Liverpool fans) can't pose awkward questions without having their support called into question I think I'll rename this the Liverpool are deadly thread and just close it now.

Is there no room for objective assessments of the summers transfer activity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

With all due respect, if people (especially Liverpool fans) can't pose awkward questions without having their support called into question I think I'll rename this the Liverpool are deadly thread and just close it now.

Is there no room for objective assessments of the summers transfer activity?

Hallelujah!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

This is silly talk imo. Just because you're a supporter shouldn't mean you have to drop your own objective reasoning. Surely if people are being honest then some people are going to have doubts about some of the manager's decisions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement