Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [mod warning #11145, #32140 (see OP)]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

spockety wrote: »
    Just thought I would join in and make up any old ridiculous unfounded rubbish about our new signing.

:rolleyes::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

good fake spockety

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Headshot wrote: »
    good fake spockety

I'm considering a career in tabloid journalism. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Had a feeling it was bs. But why add more shite to the thread spockety?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

good fake man...

the 'out until november' line was the only one that told me it was likely a fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Just thought I would join in and make up any old ridiculous unfounded rubbish about our new signing.

First thought was 'WTF is Carra saying?' Second thought was, 'WHAT .....................THE.........................F**K IS HE SAYING???????'

I gobbled that all up so fair play to you Spockety. Scared the ****e out of me though!:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Yes there was no way Carra would ever come out and undermine his club or manager like that. Remember what happened to RK when he did it on MUTV. How long did he last after that.

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Had a feeling it was bs. But why add more shite to the thread spockety?

'twas just a light-hearted joke.. hopefully it gave some people minor heart attacks and they got a laugh out of their reaction afterwards.

hopefully it gave some people minor heart attacks and they got a laugh out of their reaction afterwards.

yeah, thanks for that.

looking forward to the Atletico match. interesting to see what team goes out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,146 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Ha, well played Spockety

I copy and pasted the 'article' and sent it around the office here, wouldn't be surprised if it makes its way into the outside world and causes a bit of a panic!

This is how false rumours start!

Good starting 11, though i'd prefer Kelly in for ayala and Riera in for Yossi. Would like him to be able to keep up his confed cup form, hasn't gotten to play much for pool in pre season yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

'twas just a light-hearted joke.. hopefully it gave some people minor heart attacks and they got a laugh out of their reaction afterwards.

Ah fair enough, it's just I find it tedious filtering out the shite in here at times.

Looking forward to the liverpool athletico match. Hopefully Aguero might just decide to stay at anfield.

i thought the wishes for silva at OT were from dreamland.

aguero at anfield would be special. but it's not going to happen.

you've made me dream now though you **** :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If that been printed on RAWK the Mail (or at least eatsleepfootball.com) would be running it by tea-time.

SlickRic wrote: »
    i thought the wishes for silva at OT were from dreamland.

aguero at anfield would be special. but it's not going to happen.

you've made me dream now though you **** :o
    See Voronin is back on the scene again. Wonder how much game time he will get this year. Think he played against one of the Irish league of ireland teams last year when he was on loan with Hertha Berlin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭joe123

Any stream for the game?

Have to say im a bit disapointed with the Alonso out and only Aquilani in as a replacement especially seeing as he wont be fit till a few games into the season.

I would of been happy with an Aquilani plus Suarez or some other top player. And if Torres gets injured we are ****ed.

Has Rafa come out and said that his transfer dealings are over for the summer or are there any other rumours doing the rounds regards players coming in?

• Advertisement

zAbbo wrote: »
    Did you make that up? cause here's the only place where that's been quoted :P

I made it up on the spot from scratch. It would be hilarious if it travelled from here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

joe123 wrote: »
    And if Torres gets injured we are ****ed.

what, like last season?

Any stream for the game?

Have to say im a bit disapointed with the Alonso out and only Aquilani in as a replacement especially seeing as he wont be fit till a few games into the season.

I would of been happy with an Aquilani plus Suarez or some other top player. And if Torres gets injured we are ****ed.

Has Rafa come out and said that his transfer dealings are over for the summer or are there any other rumours doing the rounds regards players coming in?
    For ages there was talk David Silva was going to join us. But nothing since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

How much of Suarez have you seen?

PiE wrote: »
    How much of Suarez have you seen?

Admitedly I havent seen him week in week out but everytime I have he seems like a quality little player. I rate him higher than I do Silva who seems to have an unnatural following around here for some reason.

I using Suarez as an example as its highly unrealistic to go and mention Villa or an Aguero.

I just think the squad has been significantly weakend with the saleo of Xabi and while it was great to tie up the Aquilani deal so quickly I just feel along with him we should bring in someone else.

Xabi > Aquilani
    Xabi = Aquilani + quality player

I do rate Xabi alonso extremely high though. Weve lost one of the games most intelligent footballers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

I'm considering a career in tabloid journalism. ;)

I particularly liked the little bullet points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

Xabi > Aquilani
    Xabi = Aquilani + quality player

These comparisons really annoy me
    in what way is xabi better, how is aquilani worse?
    if we're talking about xabi from last season, is he as good as aquilani + a quality player.

Xabi = (SqRt(Silva) * (1/Aquilani) ) + A Quality Player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Definately flanzer - we need a centre back cover ASAP. I mentioned Michael Turner recently and was told he's too good to sit on the bench, and we need someone like Distin. Turner is the perfect player to add depht to where we need.

thebhoy wrote: »
    These comparisons really annoy me
    in what way is xabi better, how is aquilani worse?
    if we're talking about xabi from last season, is he as good as aquilani + a quality player.

Xabi = (SqRt(Silva) * (1/Aquilani) ) + A Quality Player

Xabi is a better passer of the ball. He does more running off the ball. Its debateable wether hes less injury prone. Hes had 5 years experience in the premierleague and playing for Liverpool. And personally I feel hes a more intelligent footballer.

I find it funny how all of a sudden Xabi isnt as good as he used be a month back and now all of a sudden Aquilani is the main man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Bravo. *Tips cap.

Xabi is a better passer of the ball. He does more running off the ball. Its debateable wether hes less injury prone. Hes had 5 years experience in the premierleague and playing for Liverpool. And personally I feel hes a more intelligent footballer.

I find it funny how all of a sudden Xabi isnt as good as he used be a month back and now all of a sudden Aquilani is the main man.

i don't think anyone's calling him a main anything yet.

xabi is a big loss, we've all acknowledged that at this stage i'm pretty sure. but we have to be optimistic about Aquilani. and there's no reason we can't be. he's certainly talented. if and when we get him fit we will hopefully see it.

there is no reason why he can't eventually become as influential as xabi. just give it time.

never said aquilani was the main man, just prefer a reasoned thought out point of view. you have more of a chance of getting a point across stating your reasons for your belief than just saying equations, football is a little bit more complicated than additiona and subtraction.

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Definately flanzer - we need a centre back cover ASAP. I mentioned Michael Turner recently and was told he's too good to sit on the bench, and we need someone like Distin. Turner is the perfect player to add depht to where we need.

Turner will not come and sit on the bench. Distin might, and he is versatile. Much better and more economical signing

Turner will not come and sit on the bench. Distin might, and he is versatile. Much better and more economical signing

Michael Turner is a superb defender, and would jump at the chance to get out of Hull. Prefer having to rely on him if God forbid Agger/Skrtel/Carragher were out long term than Distin.

No more than £6m though.

• Advertisement

Michael Turner is a superb defender, and would jump at the chance to get out of Hull. Prefer having to rely on him if God forbid Agger/Skrtel/Carragher were out long term than Distin.

No more than £6m though.

he won't want to be a 4th choice cos that's what he's be. He has England aspirations im sure

never said aquilani was the main man, just prefer a reasoned thought out point of view. you have more of a chance of getting a point across stating your reasons for your belief than just saying equations, football is a little bit more complicated than additiona and subtraction.

Yep and you would do well to not forget how good a player is even if he has just left to play with Ronaldo and co as it just makes you look a little silly.
    SlickRick wrote:
    i don't think anyone's calling him a main anything yet.

xabi is a big loss, we've all acknowledged that at this stage i'm pretty sure. but we have to be optimistic about Aquilani. and there's no reason we can't be. he's certainly talented. if and when we get him fit we will hopefully see it.

there is no reason why he can't eventually become as influential as xabi. just give it time.

And im definitely of the belief that Aquilani can become a quality player. And I think hes the best we could do as in like for like replacement. However as you said it will take time and in a season which probably is one of the closest we have been in years to challenging time is something we cant really afford.

Say Torres gets injured. We then are missing two players of world class ability in Alonso and Torres. Thats a huge dent in the team. Aquilani will need time and Im excited by his signing but I rate Xabi so highly I feel the squad needed that extra bit of strengthning because of his departure alone.

he won't want to be a 4th choice cos that's what he's be. He has England aspirations im sure

Along with many, many others. If Srktel or Carra's diagnosis isn't good - I'd be expecting a move for Turner.

Why is Turner too good to sit on the bench. You are forgetting that players like Rush served their apprenticeship on the reserves before making the breakthrough. I think like any player unless you are are fairly established you cant just expect to walk on to a team.

Along with many, many others. If Srktel or Carra's diagnosis isn't good - I'd be expecting a move for Turner.

i dont think it will change Rafas plans at all. If Turner was in his plans he still will be. If Distin is he still will be. If it's someone else it's someone else.
    but i think we need cover at full back as well as CB and Distin, who is an excellent centre half, provides all that. He is also getting on a bit so may be more likely to accept a lesser role in the squad. He has more experience.
    He'll also be around just long enough to allow Kelly to hopefully develop and then take over his squad role as utility defender.

Plus i just think he's a better player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

If you believe The Mail there has already been a 6 million bid for him turned down.

Why is Turner too good to sit on the bench. You are forgetting that players like Rush served their apprenticeship on the reserves before making the breakthrough. I think like any player unless you are are fairly established you cant just expect to walk on to a team.

he's not too good to sit on the bench. Hell Agger is sitting on our bench most of the time. But he probably thinks he's too good to, and that he should be playing every week so he can make the England squad.
    I don't think he'd ever be more than backup at Liverpool. Just my opinion, but Agger and Skrtel are the future of Liverpool's defense

deadhead13 wrote: »
    If you believe The Mail there has already been a 6 million bid for him turned down.

the Mail is second only to a certain tabloid in the making-up-transfer-rumours stakes.

Yep and you would do well to not forget how good a player is even if he has just left to play with Ronaldo and co as it just makes you look a little silly.

What are you on about!!! nowhere ever have i criticised alonso, even reminding everyone on this particular thread of his two major injuries in his supposedly bad season for us in 07-08. and how in the last few weeks of the season and at the euros, he was back to his amazing best.

I can dam right assure you of the regret i feel everytime i see a photo of alonso in a liverpool shirt / real shirt. aquilani has a lot to prove to ever fill the same role in my gratitude to alonso for his 5 yrs of stellar service. i wish him all the best in spain, and i expect him to be the reason they win la liga this year, more important to them than kaka, ronaldo and co.

I will NEVER forget the feeling of distraught, then instantaneous and unbridled joy when he scored the rebounded penalty in istanbul.

I just expressed my annoyance at your vague post on football arithmetic.

and frankly the way you put words in my mouth makes you look very silly imo.
    :cool:
    well he would probably be 3rd choice after what carra said... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,714 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Distin would be an excellent aquisition if we got him cheap. He's rarely injured, picks up very few cards and has a decent sense of position. HE scored a few goals a season or two ago also and is used to covering for Johnson when he goes roaming forwards.
    Turner would also be a great buy and there is room for him, especially if Rafa ever sends Agger into a more DM role (which he'd be perfect for). Either way, one of our 3 CBs seems to always be injured and theres a good chance all 3 will be unavailable next week. Something will have to be done. I just hope it doesnt drag on like the Alonso saga.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Distin would be an excellent aquisition if we got him cheap. He's rarely injured, picks up very few cards and has a decent sense of position. HE scored a few goals a season or two ago also and is used to covering for Johnson when he goes roaming forwards.
    Turner would also be a great buy and there is room for him, especially if Rafa ever sends Agger into a more DM role (which he'd be perfect for). Either way, one of our 3 CBs seems to always be injured and theres a good chance all 3 will be unavailable next week. Something will have to be done. I just hope it doesnt drag on like the Alonso saga.

Would very much like to see this too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

After watching him in preseason young Martin Kelly deserves to get a chance.

If anyone has impressed it has been him. He can also cover at RB.

Hopefully Agger will be over his back problem by next week though, those back troubles are quite persistent for him though which is a worry in the long term

Would very much like to see this too.

I don't really understand why.
    We have the best DM in the world in our squad.
    He's a quality centre back.
    We can't afford to let him learn the ins and outs of playing what is no doubt a complicated tactical position. We can't risk giving him gametime in the hope he'll develop into a good DM.
    What is the point? Let's just keep Masch (or whatever specialist DM we have) there and keep Agger at CB - where he has always and should always play.
    Yes, he's a good passer. But that doesn't mean he has to play in midfield. in all honesty, while his technique and passing are good, they aren't really that superior than most midfielder's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I don't really understand why.
    We have the best DM in the world in our squad.
    He's a quality centre back.
    We can't afford to let him learn the ins and outs of playing what is no doubt a complicated tactical position. We can't risk giving him gametime in the hope he'll develop into a good DM.
    What is the point? Let's just keep Masch (or whatever specialist DM we have) there and keep Agger at CB - where he has always and should always play.
    Yes, he's a good passer. But that doesn't mean he has to play in midfield. in all honesty, while his technique and passing are good, they aren't really that superior than most midfielder's.

I dont mean in the mould of mascherano, i mean more of the playmaker; Carrick say. He's very good at bringing the ball out of defence and does like to bomb forward.

It's not something that i think will happen, its just a theory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

According to SSN taking Carragher off was only a precautionay measure - so he should be fine for next sunday.

• Advertisement

What are you on about!!! nowhere ever have i criticised alonso, even reminding everyone on this particular thread of his two major injuries in his supposedly bad season for us in 07-08. and how in the last few weeks of the season and at the euros, he was back to his amazing best.

I can dam right assure you of the regret i feel everytime i see a photo of alonso in a liverpool shirt / real shirt. aquilani has a lot to prove to ever fill the same role in my gratitude to alonso for his 5 yrs of stellar service. i wish him all the best in spain, and i expect him to be the reason they win la liga this year, more important to them than kaka, ronaldo and co.

I will NEVER forget the feeling of distraught, then instantaneous and unbridled joy when he scored the rebounded penalty in istanbul.

I just expressed my annoyance at your vague post on football arithmetic.

and frankly the way you put words in my mouth makes you look very silly imo.
    :cool:

Thats fair enough, it just seemed that you were dismissing Alonso and putting Aquilani on the same level with him which to be frank he isnt....YET. Its been annoying me how some people are kind of acting all of a sudden that actually Alonso wasnt all that yet a few months ago he was vital to the team. Anyways my apologies there as thats what I thought you were coming across like aswell.

All im saying is that the strength of the squad has decreased with the replacement of alonso with Aquilani and I feel we need another good quality acquisition to bring up the strength of the squad again.

Got to see the first half of the Liverpool game today and Lucas didnt impress me at all.

Edit: Just seen on the liverpool website that Lucas scored! Great stuff. Id gladly eat humble pie if Lucas steps up this season! Will be a good boost for his confidence aswell. Getting booed by your own fans wasnt on at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

mike65 wrote: »
    Martin Kelly looks like a player who would come on in leaps and bounds if he got the pitch time. I've really liked what I've seen of him and his attitude.

Yep I stand by this, another fine, if cameo type display.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

mike65 wrote: »
    Yep I stand by this, another fine, if cameo type display.

I would definitely put him ahead of San Jose and Ayala.

He is a real quality prospect and I would be quite happy with him as our no.4 defender, and spend the money that would go on Turner (now that Rafa says he's after him) on a right-winger or striker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

deadhead13 wrote: »
    If the mail told me the world was round i'd have my doubts TBH. Fantastic game from Lucas today. The lad really is stepping up. Another quality Rafa Signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Good article.
    THE usually-dismissive radio jock was genuinely impressed by the caller's in-depth knowledge of Alberto Aquilani.

He spoke of his box-to-box qualities, turn of speed and cleverness. He eulogised about his ability to ghost into dangerous positions and his peach of a right foot which had a wicked dig on it, as evidenced by classic strikes against Palermo and Siena.

"Wow, that's impressive. Are you a dedicated student of Italian football?" asked the jock.

"No," came the answer. "But I've seen his clips compilation on YouTube. And I'm telling you he's a definite improvement on Xabi Alonso."

And so, my friends, we move effortlessly into a new era of talent appraisal. YouTube Scout takes over from the PlayStation Scout and Fantasy Football League Scout. Soon to be superseded by Twitter Scout. As in "I've been Twittering with my contacts in Osasuna and I'm hearing that Gonzalez lad is a steal at 20mill."

Bedroom coaches all, who, thanks to hours spent glaring at stats and videos on their computers, can give you comprehensive run-downs on every pro from Torquay to Tirana. Only they're about as comprehensive as Eton College.

If I trained a camera for long enough on my 80-year-old dad kicking about in his back yard, I could set three minutes of it to a Clash soundtrack, and make him look like Lionel Messi.

So who do you turn to for the truth in this uncertain world of talent-spotting? Statistics? Not really. Take Alonso. Do you trust the glowing stats which say Liverpool won 67% of the Premier League games he played in these past two years, but only 46% when he was out? Or go with the damning ones which show in his last three seasons he made only six assists and scored ten goals?

What about Ex-Player Scout? Do you take Jan Molby's assessment that Alonso will be a massive loss because virtually every pass he selected was the right one? Or do you qualify that by saying most of his passes, like his shots, came from his own half?

Fan Scout? Well, for every one who claims Alonso dictated Liverpool's tempo throughout last season, there's one who will say it was an inability to quicken the tempo in those seven home draws (the majority of which Alonso played in) which cost them the title.

Surely Media Pundit Scout would know? Not really. I can list half-a-dozen who, up until the end of last season, wrote Liverpool off as a two-man team of Gerrard and Torres. Once a desperate Real Madrid paid twice as much for a near-28-year-old as they could have got him for last summer, Alonso is hailed as the team's lynch-pin, without whom they're screwed.

So don't worry YouTube Scouts, you're not alone in your ignorance. The truth is no-one has a clue how much a departing player will be missed until they see how his replacement fits in. And the chances of the new boy's success have little to do with how sexy he looks on camera, but plenty to do with him moving at the right stage of his development, fitting the role his new boss has in mind, his hunger, mental strength, fitness and luck.

Your club's manager may not know best, but the chances are he knows better than you, or any other outsider. So trust his call. Because the only other option is to demand he's sacked.

And there aren't many YouTube compilations of manager's best bits out there, apart from Graham Taylor howling at the moon and Phil Neal.

In other words, you won't have a bloody clue who to replace him with.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement