Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [mod warning #11145, #32140 (see OP)]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Bandit12 wrote: »
    If the mail told me the world was round i'd have my doubts TBH.

Ironically enough, a newspaper called "The Hull Daily Mail" have quotes from Rafa admitting having held talks with Brown.

"I was talking with Phil Brown. But will not talk about figures. But maybe I was talking to Phil about the weather."

http://www.sporthull.co.uk/football/hull_city/tigers_news/displayarticle.php?ID=13607

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Headshot wrote: »
    yap because we got him on the free
    Does'nt matter. It's still a gamble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Does'nt matter. It's still a gamble.

jebus

your a bit late

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

where did i say reasoned debate wasnt open, but a lot of you sounds like you would prefer him to fail than be proved wrong. Some people around here sound like the kind of people that booed Lucas which imo is unbecoming of a Liverpool fan. And lets be honest 95% of us know little to nothing about Aquilani so have an open mind before you freak over an injury that will last 1/24th of his contract...

Seeing as you quoted me when making this reply, why don't you go back through my posts, the ones you must have seen if you are saying I said something negative about Aquilani or his injuries.

My comment was that the poster being ridiculed for making HIS comment about our new signing was entitled to his opinion and that he was entitled to voice his concerns/worries about a player.

If you bothered to read my post you would have seen I said that I though our style of play would change,imho, with Aquilani in the team, in that we may have less by way of possession during games, but that he may help score/set up more goals.

If you are going to quote me and make some smart comment about hoping a player fails, at least make sure I am the one that said what you are claiming I did. It is not too hard to read posts and match the right names to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Another poor performance today getting a bit worried tbh.defence looking shakey, disapointing to loose at home. We definatly need a coupleof signings as we are weaker than this time last year. Martin Kelly and Lucas arethe only two who have impressed in pre season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez has confirmed his interest in signing Hull defender Michael Turner.

Benitez is in the market for a new central defender following the departure of Sami Hyypia and he has targeted a move for Turner.

Turner enjoyed a fine season with Hull last term and Benitez is believed to have been impressed by the former Brentford man.

Reports have suggested Hull have rejected a bid from Liverpool as they hold out for £12million for the towering defender.

Benitez has admitted he has talked with Tigers counterpart Phil Brown about Turner, but refused to divulge any more information on a possible transfer.

"I was talking with (Hull manager) Phil Brown, but I will not talk about figures. But maybe I was just talking to Phil about the weather," said Benitez.
    Injuries
    Benitez may step up his interest in Turner after Jamie Carragher joined Daniel Agger (back) and Martin Skrtel (hamstring) as injury concerns for next weekend's season opener at Tottenham with an ankle knock picked up against Atletico Madrid.

"We have two options. One is to bring in someone at the back and the other option is to keep working with the young players we have," added Benitez.

"We have three centre-backs to get fit and will need one more as a fourth. We have to decide what to do, but the one solution we can achieve is to work with the youngsters.
    "

cant always be buying players in,have to give the youngsters a chance

Not when they're not ready for the big time.

Ayala for instance, great potential but still a little green to be fielding in the Premier League.

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Not when they're not ready for the big time.

Ayala for instance, great potential but still a little green to be fielding in the Premier League.

but how do you know if they're not ready for the big time if they cant get a chance ?

just look at these fixtures

16/08 Spurs away
    19/08 Stoke home
    24/08 Villa home
    29/08 Bolton away
    12/09 Burnley home
    19/09 West Ham away
    26/09 Hull home

except for spurs and villa, not exactly real attacking teams,best chance to breed a youngster

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Not as confident for the coming season now, as I was at the end of last year, maybe a reality check of the health of our squad at the moment is needed. Felt we were better equipped than we actually are.

• Advertisement

I'd prefer to field your guarenteed Agger/Carra/Skrtel then Ayala/San Jose in the Premier League this season.

Ayala, judging by pre-season and reserve games last year is most certainly not ready, meanwhile San Jose doesn't seem sharp enough for me just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Martin Kelly is a CB first and foremost I'd be willing to give him a chance against the likes of Robbie Keane and Peter Crouch (both of whom are destined to score anyway!), Agger might have made todays game so he can't be far off.

mike65 wrote: »
    Martin Kelly is a CB first and foremost I'd be willing to give him a chance against the likes of Robbie Keane and Peter Crouch (both of whom are destined to score anyway!), Agger might have made todays game so he can't be far off.

I think it's just precautionary at the minute, getting in a decent player to cover the centre half position. You just cannot mess around in that area. With Skrtel out injured, and Agger with a history of them that leaves Carra who today was taken off - so might have a niggle that could come back during the season.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I'd be surprised if Carra and Agger don't line up against Spurs next weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,146 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Headshot wrote: »
    from what i read its 4-8 weeks out injured nothing about match fitness

just spotted the answer to this one;
    "The player will now continue his rehabilitation from an ankle operation under the guidance of Liverpool's medical team and is expected to be fully fit in approximately 4-8 weeks time."
    http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_5479160,00.html

Id take that as to mean back to full fitness. Will probably start to see some cameo's from him around the 3 to 4 week mark.

spockety wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if Carra and Agger don't line up against Spurs next weekend.
    Fingers crossed they do. Either would be a big loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Im more worried about Agger in the long run. Too many back problems for my liking.

I would definitely stick Kelly ahead of the two Spaniards. Not being racist, he just seems far more ready and talented than San Jose and Ayala.

He has looked very sharp in pre season, just hope he can transfer it over. Same with Lucas. Both have impressed me.

Lucas seems to have pushed himself further up the pitch and imposes himself a lot more now. He was everywhere in the first half against Atletico. And got himself a good goal.

Ngog looked bright as well, some decent touches, good passing and holding it up well.

And after looking through our injuries (Carra, Agger, Skrtel, Riera, Aurelio), a good start to the season is a necessity. If we lose too many points in the first two months then that could be it as far as no. 19 goes.

And heaven forbid we lose Nando and Stevie for a large chunk of games again....

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Im more worried about Agger in the long run. Too many back problems for my liking.
    Yes. He fell badly on his back during pre-season and was instantly worried.
    I would definitely stick Kelly ahead of the two Spaniards. Not being racist, he just seems far more ready and talented than San Jose and Ayala.
    Not being racist at all mate, he looks far more ready to be thrown into the deep end than the other two.

Lucas seems to have pushed himself further up the pitch and imposes himself a lot more now. He was everywhere in the first half against Atletico. And got himself a good goal.
    Lucas has improved a lot, and is a very underrated player. He's spent the last few months trying to bulk up and develop his game. He could've been a rough diamond with no confidence all along - especially moving from Brazil at such a young age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Another poor performance today getting a bit worried tbh.defence looking shakey, disapointing to loose at home. We definatly need a coupleof signings as we are weaker than this time last year. Martin Kelly and Lucas arethe only two who have impressed in pre season.

Insua and Vorinin too in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Rafa loves Lucas too much! Very worried that he'll be a regular this season.

BENITEZ PRAISE FOR IN-FORM LUCAS

Rafael Benitez hailed Lucas Leiva as Liverpool's star of pre-season after the Brazilian scored in Saturday's 2-1 friendly defeat at home to Atletico Madrid.
    The Reds midfielder capped another fine display with a late strike in front of the Kop and, although it wasn't enough to earn a share of the spoils, the boss was keen to praise the 22-year-old.

"I said in my pre-match notes that Lucas has been best player in pre-season," he said. "He showed why again today. He is really focused, working hard and is showing quality.

"He knows Aquilani will need time. When we decided to bring in Aquilani we knew he would be out for one month or so, so we analysed the squad and we think that with Mascherano, Lucas, Gerrard and Plessis we have enough."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

There goes the notion that we might be signing a central midfielder anyway.

Twas interesting to note that for large portions of the game yesterday, it was Gerrard who was sitting deep and it was Lucas that was actually behind the leading striker. On quite a few occassions, it was Lucas that was the furthest forward. The goal that he scored showed quite a lot of talent in terms of making sure he remained onside (he was hanging on the defenders shoulder and checked his run a few times) and in terms of finishing where he pretty much sent the keeper in the wrong direction initially and slotted into the opposite corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Stevecw wrote: »
    Rafa loves Lucas too much! Very worried that he'll be a regular this season.

BENITEZ PRAISE FOR IN-FORM LUCAS

Rafael Benitez hailed Lucas Leiva as Liverpool's star of pre-season after the Brazilian scored in Saturday's 2-1 friendly defeat at home to Atletico Madrid.
    The Reds midfielder capped another fine display with a late strike in front of the Kop and, although it wasn't enough to earn a share of the spoils, the boss was keen to praise the 22-year-old.

"I said in my pre-match notes that Lucas has been best player in pre-season," he said. "He showed why again today. He is really focused, working hard and is showing quality.

"He knows Aquilani will need time. When we decided to bring in Aquilani we knew he would be out for one month or so, so we analysed the squad and we think that with Mascherano, Lucas, Gerrard and Plessis we have enough."
    Why would you be "worried" about Lucas being a regular. He's been our best player in pre season imo and finished last season on fire. The lad is a great prospect. As a previous poster said you've got to give youth a chance and stop buying players in and that is just what Rafa is doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

For those who want to see if here's a link to the Lucas goal. Didnt see a link posted here and didnt get to see the match either but I'm happy for the lad and hope he kicks on from here. W

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/3149020/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Anyone have a clue what the liverpool defensive line-up will be next week.

Are the only two players you an be sure about Carragher and Johnson??

Johnson/Carra/Agger/Insua most probably if not then Johnson/Kelly/Carra/Insua

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Why would you be "worried" about Lucas being a regular. He's been our best player in pre season imo and finished last season on fire. The lad is a great prospect. As a previous poster said you've got to give youth a chance and stop buying players in and that is just what Rafa is doing.
    good to see Lucas stepping up to the plate. I think we need midfield to pitch in as much as possible this year particularly in terms of goal. If we can get Lucas and Benayoun to pitch it with maybe 20 goals between them it would be a great benefit to our title push.

Lucas and Benny might score 10, 12 at a push. They are not going to be starting every game by a long chalk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Johnson/Carra/Agger/Insua most probably if not then Johnson/Kelly/Carra/Insua

No Dossena?

Well he might start but I'd pick Insua ahead of him any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I think Rafa sees Kelly as a RB for now, at least for this season.
    It was interesting that he came on for Johnson yesterday, and not Degen. Has he overtaken him as 2nd choice? I hope so.

So it looks like we're not buying another CM. Oh well. Plessis has looked better this pre-season so hopefully he's put his poor form of last season behind him.

To the poster worried about Lucas being first choice - i think Rafa plans on Aquilani being first choice, but Lucas has 4 weeks to really stake a claim. If it turns out he's first choice later in the season it's because he's earned it.

So it looks like just a defender and possibly an attacking player to be brought in. I really hope if we do sign Turner that Kelly still gets chances at RB.

• Advertisement

Turner for 12 million? Hope not. David Wheater would be a lot cheaper as would Sylvain Distin.

Turner for 12 million? Hope not. David Wheater would be a lot cheaper as would Sylvain Distin.

I agree, but not about Wheater. Turner does have more class than the Boro man, but they'd both be overpriced.
    Distin makes perfect sense to me, but i think it's these damn CL regulations for home-grown players again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,759 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I agree, but not about Wheater. Turner does have more class than the Boro man, but they'd both be overpriced.
    Distin makes perfect sense to me, but i think it's these damn CL regulations for home-grown players again.

Do you see Distin being first choice?

Boggles wrote: »
    Do you see Distin being first choice?

no, but he'd get games.
    Aurelio is constantly injured and Dossena is probably off so he'd fill in for Insua at left back, also maybe for Johnson at RB and for Agger (who is also injury prone), Skrtel and Carra

I think, at this stage of his career, it's a role he'd accept at a big club, with the chance to be part of a CL team

no, but he'd get games.
    Aurelio is constantly injured and Dossena is probably off so he'd fill in for Insua at left back, also maybe for Johnson at RB and for Agger (who is also injury prone), Skrtel and Carra

I think, at this stage of his career, it's a role he'd accept at a big club, with the chance to be part of a CL team

See thats the thing I really don't understand, at this stage in his career I would imagine he would want to play a full part at a club like Pompey other than a bit part at Liverpool.

He has an amazing constant playing record, he played every second of the league last year and 37 matches the year before. Can't see a player like that being happy to be back up.

He hasn't played left back in a few years, don't think he has ever played right back.

See thats the thing I really don't understand, at this stage in his career I would imagine he would want to play a full part at a club like Pompey other than a bit part at Liverpool.

He has an amazing constant playing record, he played every second of the league last year and 37 matches the year before. Can't see a player like that being happy to be back up.

He hasn't played left back in a few years, don't think he has ever played right back.

I think he'd like to have a chance to win the PL or the CL having spent so long at Pompey, City and Newcastle

I think he'd like to have a chance to win the PL or the CL having spent so long at Pompey, City and Newcastle

He won an FA cup with Pompey, so he has experienced success. As far as I know he is the club captain, and would be on a fair bit of wedge a week.

Would the draw of playing a bit part albeit with CL football really be that appealing to him?

Time will tell I suppose.

He won an FA cup with Pompey, so he has experienced success. As far as I know he is the club captain, and would be on a fair bit of wedge a week.

Would the draw of playing a bit part albeit with CL football really be that appealing to him?

Time will tell I suppose.

he also probably thinks he's good enough to oust Carragher and Skrtel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I doubt Distin will stay at Pompey the way things are going there at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

this is exactly it.

we shouldn't be so worried about giving youth a chance. i don't really want to bring it up, but look at the mancs. it doesn't worry fergie giving his youth a chance. we should be as confident about our prospects.

WTF is the point in buying and developing them then?

lucas should get his chance, and judging by the end of last season, and this year's pre-season, we should have no qualms whatsoever. none.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

SlickRic wrote: »
    WTF is the point in buying and developing them then?

lucas should get his chance, and judging by the end of last season, and this year's pre-season, we should have no qualms whatsoever. none.

Sorry SlickRic, but I'm afraid I have to disagree with you. If by the age of 20 a player isn't as good as Messi/Fabergas/Owen they will never make the cut. Better to ship them out and spend big money on sure thing, big budget transfers like Veron or Schevchenko (sp?). Rafa is never going to win the league for us.

Lucas is the worst Brazilian in the history of the world.

Rafa out!

P.S. I think that Lucas won the Golden Ball award the year before he came to Liverpool shows how wasy an award it is to win. I mean, just look at the players who won it before him. Bit of a joke really

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bola_de_Ouro

Please let the above be satire. ;)

Please let the above be satire. ;)

Please tell me you don't actually have to ask:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

rosboy wrote: »
    Sorry SlickRic, but I'm afraid I have to disagree with you. If by the age of 20 a player isn't as good as Messi/Fabergas/Owen they will never make the cut. Better to ship them out and spend big money on sure thing, big budget transfers like Veron or Schevchenko (sp?). Rafa is never going to win the league for us.

Rafa out!

P.S. I think that Lucas won the Golden Ball award the year before he came to Liverpool shows how wasy an award it is to win. I mean, just look at the players who won it before him. Bit of a joke really

easy now everybody...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

rosboy wrote: »

Rafa out!

As much I strongly dislike Liverpool I do believe that Rafa is the man who can win ye a title. I honestly don't see who else there is.

Last season was one of Liverpool's best seasons in the Premier League IMO and your squad really works hard for each other. A lot more fight in them last season and I expect Liverpool to come flying out of the traps.

That_Guy wrote: »
    As much I strongly dislike Liverpool I do believe that Rafa is the man who can win ye a title. I honestly don't see who else there is.

boom.

A+ for this answer. particularly the bit in bold too, something often forgotten.:)

Just so there's no doubt, by post was 100% satirical, and was poking fun at those who have little understanding of the game and little patience. The so called "Sky Sports Generation" where everything is black or white. Where opinions are made based not on facts, or on a long term view, but on the blinkered view of what is happening at this moment. If a player has a bad spell early in his career, that it...he's writen off. Any subsequent mistakes he makes are reinforcement of his short comings. Any successes he has are written off.

I just got my new Liverpool away jersey on Thursday. Lucas 21 is printed on the back. I believe he has a long and successful future ahead of him at this club.

I also believe that Rafa is one of the best managers in the world. Not many other managers could have built the team he has in 5 years with the resources he has had at his disposal. Very few could have won the Champions League in 2005 with the squad at his disposal (look at the money Chelsea have spent on their squad and they have yet to win it).

Now that Rafa's team is taking the shape he wants, and he has control over the transfers and the youth system, we are entering another golden age for Liverpool.

You'll Never Walk Alone.

In Rafa We Trust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

watching the charity shield really makes me realise how lucky we are to have reina and how good he is on the ball!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

redzerdrog wrote: »
    watching the charity shield really makes me realise how lucky we are to have reina and how good he is on the ball!!!

Yeah it is criminal how underrated he seems to be, especially when people compare him to other keepers in the premiership.

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »
    Yeah it is criminal how underrated he seems to be, especially when people compare him to other keepers in the premiership.

fine by me.

as long as we appreciate him.

i really don't think we know how fortunate we are to have him at times.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement