Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread [mod warning #11145, #32140 (see OP)]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

So if Gerrard and Torres are injured, who do you think we can rely on to win games for us??

Yeh we scored lots of goals, even Dossena scored a couple, would ya be relying on him to do that again??

Or Lucas since you all love him here

Seriously, grow up with the Lucas thing.

Who will United rely on to score goals if Rooney and Berbatov are injured?
    Or Chelsea if Anelka and Drogba are out?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

Listen.

United have Berbatov as their first choice main striker. We have Torres. Who is in a different class to Berbatov
    United have Rooney as their support striker. We have Gerrard. Who is a more accomplished and productive player than Rooney is at this time
    United have Owen and Macheda as their backup. Maybe Wellbeck as well. I’m happy with how Babel, Kuyt, N’Gog and Voronin shape up here.
    Conclusion – I think we’re stronger than United here.

Similarly, Chelsea have Anelka and Drogba to our Gerrard and Torres, and not a lot else in reserve to be honest.

So, in conclusion, you’re talking rubbish.

Yeh you're happy, obviously you're easily pleased!!!!

Well if you're calling gerrard a striker then chelsea have Lampard then too, so its anelka, drogba and lampard to our torres and Gerrard.

Oh i'm talkin rubbish am i, So why did Benitez sign Keane then since our back ups are so brilliant, why is he still sniffing around David Villa too.

Seriously, grow up with the Lucas thing.

Who will United rely on to score goals if Rooney and Berbatov are injured?
    Or Chelsea if Anelka and Drogba are out?

I'll grow up about the Lucas thing when you cop on and see our back ups are weak!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Gerrard plays as a striker, Lampard doesn't. If we count Lampard, we count Kuyt and Benayoun too.

We have plenty of players who will score us goals. That's evidenced by the amount we scored last year, largely without G&T. In addition, we have Voronin back, who lit up the Bundesliga last year. We also have Nemeth and N'Gog, a year older.

And Rafa isn't, and hasn't been, sniffing around Villa outside of your dreams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    me too for FF please!

Me too!

Gerrard plays as a striker, Lampard doesn't. If we count Lampard, we count Kuyt and Benayoun too.

We have plenty of players who will score us goals. That's evidenced by the amount we scored last year, largely without G&T. In addition, we have Voronin back, who lit up the Bundesliga last year. We also have Nemeth and N'Gog, a year older.

And Rafa isn't, and hasn't been, sniffing around Villa outside of your dreams.

And you know this for sure because you work closely with Rafa yeh??

Nemeth- unproven in the premier league
    Ngog- unproven in the premier league
    Voronin- unproven in the premier league

I am starting to think that Liverpool, United and Arsenal could all have had the money from players sales or their transfer budget swallowed up by the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Well if you're calling gerrard a striker then chelsea have Lampard then too, so its anelka, drogba and lampard to our torres and Gerrard.

Oh i'm talkin rubbish am i, So why did Benitez sign Keane then since our back ups are so brilliant, why is he still sniffing around David Villa too.

He bought Keane before we had Riera, before Ngog was really going to start breaking in, Babel was not a sure thing, and Voronin was going out on loan.

This was also at a time when we hadn't totally settled on the G&T up front.

As it turned out, playing Ngog, Babel & Kuyt up there was far better (they were already used to the team), so Keane got the boot

I seem to remember him getting rid of Keane at the next available opportunity too, so eh, your point is moot - we didn't need him. (no disrespect meant to Keane either, by the way).

Well, there's been absolutely nothing to suggest otherwise, outside of rags like the Daily Mail and the Sun. Rafa came out this summer and specifically said he wasn't looking at signing Villa, and Villa came out and said he wasn't leaving Valencia, let alone Spain.

Voronin's record is actually reasonably ok in the Premier League. He scored 5 goals in 1120 mins of football (12 games). Look at what happened with Benayoun when given an extended run in the team due to injuries. The season that Voronin was there he was 3rd choice against a Torres on the form of his life and Peter Crouch.

Just give him a chance and shut up about it for a few weeks. If he proves to be a disaster, you can remind us all in a few months about it.

• Advertisement

So you think Macheda, Owen and Wellbeck are top quality and good replacements for two 30m strikers?

No, Gerrard plays as a striker for Liverpool. Lampard plays as a midfielder, a box-box one.

He bought Keane to give us more strength in depth and the option of playing two up front in some games. But it turned out that Kuyt, Benayoun and Riera can all get goals and contribute more to our attacking play than he did. The Keane purchase was a mistake looking back on it now.

He bought Keane before we had Riera, before Ngog was really going to start breaking in, Babel was not a sure thing, and Voronin was going out on loan.

This was also at a time when we hadn't totally settled on the G&T up front.

As it turned out, playing Ngog, Babel & Kuyt up there was far better (they were already used to the team), so Keane got the boot

I seem to remember him getting rid of Keane at the next available opportunity too, so eh, your point is moot - we didn't need him. (no disrespect meant to Keane either, by the way).

What has Riera done? Ngog still hasnt really broken in, Babel is not a sure thing, and Voronin was on loan for a reason.
    None of them have proven anything in a red shirt yet.

Keane was a disappointment, but we still need another proven striker to compete against man citys, chelseas and man u's strike force!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I am starting to think that Liverpool, United and Arsenal could all have had the money from players sales or their transfer budget swallowed up by the club.

idk about arsenal but utd have the money from the sale of Ronaldo,it's not swallow up by the club

saf:
    I know there will be some fans who are disappointed that we didn’t spend the princely £80million we got for Cristiano Ronaldo from Real Madrid on another superstar. I would have done had I felt we were getting value for our money, but this close-season some crazy things went on and the price of the game’s major players went through the roof.

The asking price for players we were looking at just wasn’t realistic and we held off. I think we have shown over the years that we are not afraid to spend big and we have in fact frequently created transfer fee records, but only when we felt the business made financial sense. The level of the fees being demanded in recent months just didn’t add up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

So if Gerrard and Torres are injured, who do you think we can rely on to win games for us??

Yeh we scored lots of goals, even Dossena scored a couple, would ya be relying on him to do that again??

Or Lucas since you all love him here

Ahhhhm, the same people who did last year.
    unless you're saying we're going to miss Xabi and Alvaro's goalscoring prowess.
    What was it 3 goals between them last season.

Kuyt will get 10-15.
    Babel will get around 10.
    Benni will get around 10.
    Johnson will score 1 or 2.
    Agger will get a couple.
    Ngog will score a half dozen or so.
    Voronin will get around 10.

You get the idea here?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

please stop quoting posts it really is pointless having an idiot on ignore if all their stupid posts get quoted

Voronin's record is actually reasonably ok in the Premier League. He scored 5 goals in 1120 mins of football (12 games). Look at what happened with Benayoun when given an extended run in the team due to injuries. The season that Voronin was there he was 3rd choice against a Torres on the form of his life and Peter Crouch.

Just give him a chance and shut up about it for a few weeks. If he proves to be a disaster, you can remind us all in a few months about it.

Reasonably ok is good enough for the team you love yeh, its not for me!!!!

Dunno why we got rid of crouch tbh, he's better than what we have at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

ok not sure whats happenin with that other league, so PM me and i'll send ya the code. send on your team name as well so we'll know who's who, and i'll post them up here before the league kicks off.

Called the league LFC ftw

Whereas the players United will be relying on as backup this season – players like Nani, Wellbeck, Macheca, Tosic – are all proven premiership class?

Kuyt will get 10-15.
    Babel will get around 10.
    Benni will get around 10.
    Johnson will score 1 or 2.
    Agger will get a couple.
    Ngog will score a half dozen or so.
    Voronin will get around 10.

You get the idea hear?!

Lets see about that!
    And how many more will they miss is the question i ask

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

N’Gog will be the best replacement I think. He has more of Torres’ qualities than any of the others on the list. He has pace, height, touch and is a good finisher.

Agree re height.

IMO, if Torres is injured the only option is to play Kuyt up front. With Babel to come on for last 15 or 20 in such circumstances. Voronin to come in if Gerrard is injured or pushed back to midfield, with Pacheco on the bench for a last 10 minute cameo. Would hope Ngog improves this year - would like to see him be more aggressive in reserve games to terrorise opposition defenders (the way Wellbeck occassionally does for the manc reserves), and then perhaps he can bring that to first team level.

Because he wasn’t good enough to be a starter for a title challenging team. He would be great backup and was offered a new contract, but wished to leave for first team football.
    I’d love to still have Crouch, Sissoko, hell even Keane, here as squad players. But for economic reasons it made sense to sell them, and for personal reasons they wished to leave. That’s life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

thebhoy wrote: »
    ok not sure whats happenin with that other league, so PM me and i'll send ya the code. send on your team name as well so we'll know who's who, and i'll post them up here before the league kicks off.

I'm in!!! should be good craic to get all the liverpool fans that post here involved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Gerrard is a withdrawn striker now, and is extremely similar in position to the one Rooney plays, Berbatov too. United don't really have a comparable player to Torres, and if you had to compare someone position wise, it'd be Owen rather than Berbatov.

That said, Gerrard and Torres are as good a front 2 as United Chelsea or Arsenal have. I don't see how anyone could doubt that.

I do however think the front 4 could use improvement.
    I think Benetiz thinks that too. Were Villa to come in, and shift Gerrard to the wings, I'd say it'd be an improvement. Were Silva to come in and play on one of the flanks, it'd be an improvement. Had Ribery joined, or Ronaldo, or Aguero, it woulda been an improvement.

But none of these players were available for a reasonable price/wanted to go to push for a move to Liverpool [thereby lowering the price]. As such, Benetiz while still wanting to improve his attack no doubt, hasn't done much, because value for money is just so important for Liverpool these days [same for United and Arsenal]

Does nobody else find it surprising that three of Britains best managers, Fergie Benetiz and Wenger have all been quite conservative in the transfer market this year?

The talent just isn't out there! The small amount of talent that was out there was bought by massive massive massive massive prices which no club in the debt situation all 3 are in could do.

PHB wrote: »
    Gerrard is a withdrawn striker now, and is extremely similar in position to the one Rooney plays, Berbatov too. United don't really have a comparable player to Torres, and if you had to compare someone position wise, it'd be Owen rather than Berbatov.

That said, Gerrard and Torres are as good a front 2 as United Chelsea or Arsenal have. I don't see how anyone could doubt that.

I think Benetiz thinks that too. Were Villa to come in, and shift Gerrard to the wings, I'd say it'd be an improvement. Were Silva to come in and play on one of the flanks, it'd be an improvement. Had Ribery joined, or Ronaldo, or Aguero, it woulda been an improvement.

But none of these players were available for a reasonable price/wanted to go to push for a move to Liverpool [thereby lowering the price]. As such, Benetiz while still wanting to improve his attack no doubt, hasn't done much, because value for money is just so important for Liverpool these days [same for United and Arsenal]

Does nobody else find it surprising that three of Britains best managers, Fergie Benetiz and Wenger have all been quite conservative in the transfer market this year?

The talent just isn't out there! The small amount of talent that was out there was bought by massive massive massive massive prices which no club in the debt situation all 3 are in could do.

I think the problem is that it would take a 20-30m pound player to give us more than Kuyt gave us last season. And even then nothing would be guaranteed. Same with Benayoun in the last few months of the season, he looks a different player now to 12 months ago and looks like he could provide 10 goals and assists a season. I think he’s going to have a big season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i'm sooooo in.

• Advertisement

I think the problem is that it would take a 20-30m pound player to give us more than Kuyt gave us last season. And even then nothing would be guaranteed. Same with Benayoun in the last few months of the season, he looks a different player now to 12 months ago and looks like he could provide 10 goals and assists a season. I think he’s going to have a big season.

Why is there a problem at all, sure didnt you just say we had Voronin.
    At the end of the day i'm sure Ferguson is absolutely sh1tting himself at the thought of Voronin returning.

Reasonably ok is good enough for the team you love yeh, its not for me!!!!

Reasonable is bloody perfect for a 4th choice striker!
    You do know what the term "squad player" means right?!

And if it's "the team you love" then you should really should try and know what you're talking about.
    We didn'r "get rid" of Crouch.
    Peter didn't want to sit on our bench.
    He needed regular football to keep his england spot and he knew he wasn't going to oust Stevie or Nando.

He asked to leave.

He was offered a new contract that he refused to sign.

He had one year left on his contract.

So we had no choice but to sell him.

Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Reasonable is bloody perfect for a 4th choice striker!
    You do know what the term "squad player" means right?!

And if it's "the team you love" then you should really should try and know what you're talking about.
    We didn'r "get rid" of Crouch.
    Peter didn't want to sit on our bench.
    He needed regular football to keep his england spot and he knew he wasn't going to oust Stevie or Nando.

He asked to leave.

He was offered a new contract that he refused to sign.

He had one year left on his contract.

So we had no choice but to sell him.

Simples.

well said sir

Why is there a problem at all, sure didnt you just say we had Voronin.
    At the end of the day i'm sure Ferguson is absolutely sh1tting himself at the thought of Voronin returning.

And I’m sure Rafa is doing likewise about Macheda, Tosic, Nani and Wellbeck, all of whom are nothing but potential – like Babel, N’Gog, Nemeth and Pacheco.
    Voronin, who is experienced and decent, will play a limited role in Liverpool’s season. He’s an extremely honest and willing worker – a quality I value very highly in a player, as does Rafa. I’ll be giving him my full support when he plays and you should too.

And why are you taking a random word out of context from one of my posts and applying it to Voronin?

Reasonable is bloody perfect for a 4th choice striker.

So who's second and third choice striker over him?

• Advertisement

1. Torres
    2. Gerrard
    3. Babel/Kuyt/Voronin/N'Gog

Who do United or Chelsea have as back-up?

Owen, Macheda, Wellbeck? Kalou, Pizzaro, Sturridge? Hardly an improvement.

And I’m sure Rafa is doing likewise about Macheda, Tosic, Nani and Wellbeck, all of whom are nothing but potential – like Babel, N’Gog, Nemeth and Pacheco.
    Voronin, who is experienced and decent, will play a limited role in Liverpool’s season. He’s an extremely honest and willing worker – a quality I value very highly in a player, as does Rafa. I’ll be giving him my full support when he plays and you should too.

And why are you taking a random word out of context from one of my posts and applying it to Voronin?

But while Ferguson has, Berbatov, Rooney and Owen as choices ahead of those players mentioned, Benitez should worry about them first, Valencia could also come good for united.

Ferguson has Torres and Gerrard to be worried about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I'm in too. I'm rubbish at FF but what the hey

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

But while Ferguson has, Berbatov, Rooney and Owen as choices ahead of those players mentioned, Benitez should worry about them first, Valencia could also come good for united.

Im pretty sure Ferguson isn't one bit worried about Torres & Gerrard

Valencia could come good for United. But he’ll have to seriously improve to provide and score more than Kuyt and Benayoun. To be honest, I wouldn’t swap either of those or Riera for Valencia.
    Similarly, Babel or N’Gog could also come good for Liverpool. Please apply the same standards to Liverpool and United.

I’m not in the slightest bit worried about Owen. If Rafa was he would have signed him. He’s a good striker if fit. But not the player he used to be.
    Also, Gerrard and Torres are far more worrying than Rooney and Berbatov in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

I'd be just as worried about Kyut as Owen... and Valencia might come good?!??! But yet you laugh at the suggestion that Nemeth, Pacheo and Babel might come good...??!!? You're talking out your wazzo here bro. Valencia might have an amazing season but he's proved nothing at a big club yet, the lad has talent but so has every player mentioned above...

And may i suggest for your own sake Whatawaster that you stop banging your head off this brick wall!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

will just shut up about ferguson, ferguson this ferguson that, broken record.

Valencia could come good? He's already an excellent player should net them 15 goals or so, plenty of assists and work his balls off for the team.
    You know we signed Aquilaini right? no chance of him coming good no?

I love aswell how you highlighted 2 players from a list of loads to try prove your point.
    What has Riera done?

Plenty, I assume you don't watch football?

So who's second and third choice striker over him?

1. Torres.

2. Gerrard.

3. Kuyt.

4. Voronin.

5. Ngog.

6. Babel.

7. Nemeth.

1. Torres
    2. Gerrard
    3. Babel/Kuyt/Voronin/N'Gog

Who do United or Chelsea have as back-up?

Owen, Macheda, Wellbeck? Kalou, Pizzaro, Sturridge? Hardly an improvement.

I was asking because Karmafaerie seems to have inside info into what choice striker they are and who Rafa will be choosing over who this year, but i see you've bundled them all into 3rd choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭joe123

Mods, could we set up a fantasy football league just for Boards.ie - LFC Thread posters? should add to the friendly banter...

Whos up for it?

Yeah im def up for this aswell!

• Advertisement

I was asking because Karmafaerie seems to have inside info into what choice striker they are and who Rafa will be choosing over who this year, but i see you've bundled them all into 3rd choice.

Why the attitude? It's fair to presume a general ranking for the strikers, though Rafa will obviously judge based on form and opposition as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

It's actually quite easy to put them in order of choice because of different attributes such as:

quality, experience, whether they are ready for first team football in the cases of Nemeth and Pacheco, and much much more.....

And as a result the list would go as so:

1. Torres
    2. Gerrard
    3. Kuyt
    4. Voronin
    5. Ngog
    6. Babel
    7. Nemeth/Pacheco

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

PHB wrote: »

Great post, one of the best I've seen on boards.ie. No surprise who the author is, one of a few in a league of their own for analysis.

Kingdom wrote: »
    Great post, one of the best I've seen on boards.ie. No surprise who the author is, one of a few in a league of their own for analysis.

get a room!

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

get a room!

I'm just pm'ing him the a/s/l :D

aaronh007 wrote: »
    It's actually quite easy to put them in order of choice because of different attributes such as:

quality, experience, whether they are ready for first team football in the cases of Nemeth and Pacheco, and much much more.....

And as a result the list would go as so:

1. Torres
    2. Gerrard
    3. Kuyt
    4. Voronin
    5. Ngog
    6. Babel
    7. Nemeth/Pacheco

Thanks Rafa

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

Fink, a manager is probably not all that worried about individual opposition players in isolation as their own team has to play all the other 19 teams in the division. Twice. SAF will expect us to win most of our games and also that either of G&T (if not, both) will score lots of goals. The same could probably said for Benitez' thoughts on Utd's prospects for the coming season (insert Rooney, Berbatov etc...as appropriate).

Strikers don't compete directly against each other, but against the opposing team's defenders.

Liverpool scored more EPL goals than any other team last season and that was without G&T for long periods. They only started 14 EPL together last season. They will almost certainly start more games together in the coming season. This means they will likely score more goals than they did last time out.

The real difference last season was the number of similar types of games in which Utd gained 3 points while we gained only 1. IMO, we can turn this around because...

I believe that the addition of Aquilani & Johnson to our squad, combined with the return of Voronin and the fact that the likes of Babel, N'gog, Nemeth & Pacheco are all a year older (and thus better used to each other, other squad/First XI players, the management and coaching staff etc...) gives us even more attacking, chance-creating, goal-scoring options and, therefore, a better chance of lifting the EPL trophy next May.

Alonso will be missed but I believe the squad is strong enough to withstand the change (especially with a seemingly-resurgent Lucas) and I am confident about 2009/10.

I hope that helps.

Can I get the FF details too, please?

Thanks Rafa

Ahh Fink you're a legend.
    You make my days pass so quickly whn you go off on one.

Ahh Fink you're a legend.
    You make my days pass so quickly whn you go off on one.

Thanks hun
    I feel the same about you xxx :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭joe123

?!

My god this is exactly was annoying me since we sold Xabi. They way fans have all of a sudden just disregarded him as having not been that important. There is more to a team than just the goalscorers.

Sometimes people need to accept the clubs faults as much as their strengths.

Its looking like we wont sign any other "big" player this season. But that doesnt suddenly make Voronin a quality player, same with Ngog and Babel.

Ngog needs to toughen up (alot) and babel needs to learn when to pass and improve his touch. Voronin...needs to get better.

But seriously lads dont be calling average players quality when at the minute they are clearly not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement